Start by marking “Capitol Reflections” as Want to Read:
Capitol Reflections

Capitol Reflections

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Capt. Gwen Maulder, a hardworking FDA medical officer is traumatically thrust onto the trail of a small, but mysterious epidemic of fatal seizures, all among young professionals. The culprit seemingly kills without a trace, no matter how deeply she probes. As Gwen attempts to probe the mystery, the opposition to her investigation rises, far out of proportion to its scope. ...more
Published December 10th 2007 by Sterling & Ross Publishers, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Capitol Reflections, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Capitol Reflections

Cynthisa
Obviously an intelligent author, but as a writer, needs work to get up to above the basic pot-boiler level. I hate, HATE plots with the kind of "lazy writing" that brings all kinds of "convenient" occurances together. Here's an example from this book: "She'd been named director of [the CDC's] Project BioNet because she was both an excellent physician and a master at the keyboard thanks to some undergraduate classes in computer programming." OK: WHAT!?! Really!?!! "Some undergraduate classes" are ...more
Booktrix
an interesting thriller in that it plays off of a topic we may not think too much about when it comes to thrillers: genetically modified foods. but the subject is VERY pertinent today and makes you think about what our foods can become, and who holds to power. it's crazy to think about!!
Betty
Fans of The X-Files may enjoy this science-fiction thriller, the debut novel by Dr. Javitt, whose impressive government credentials aren't quite matched by the sophistication of his plot. Chair of President Bush's Health Subcommittee of the President's Information Technology Advisory Committee and an epidemiologist, Javitt imagines a recent past-2005-in which the threat of genetically modified food has become a reality. When Marci Newman, a workaholic New York City attorney, dies after a mysteri ...more
Julie
This is a really good read and in my opinion, in the right price range. Who doesn't love a medical mystery combined with a conspiracy theory mixed with government wrongdoings, coverups and dirty tricks? I'm certainly not one to resist that combination!

There was enough thrill in the story that by the time I was one-third into the book, I had a hard time putting it down. My brain was whirling with the whodunit and conspiracy of it all. I'm only rating it a 3 because, while it was a really good rea
Jaime
I was hesitant about selecting this book from the Vine program because while I do like medical mysteries, I'm not really a fan of political ones. Since I like to read books in just about every genre, and many reviews had said it was a real page turner, I decided to give it a try. Unfortunately, I just could not get into it. It's rare for me to not finish a book, but about 2/3 of the way through this I finally gave up. My main problem was that I just did not care about the characters.

The plot its
David
Oct 19, 2008 David rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of thrillers and contemporary sci fi.
Recommended to David by: the publisher
Full disclosure: the publisher is a friend of mine and I read this book in order to assist with marketing.

To my surprise this is one of my favorite novels I have read in recent years. As one of the blurbs suggested, it grabs you by the throat. I may be naturally inclined to believe in conspiracy theories, but this book suggests one -fiction or fantasy it may be- that rings true and is extremely unnerving since it is about the food and drinks we consume. But that's just the background behind the
Julie
Kamas Kirian
It was a good read, well paced and not too technical. One thing that struck me as I was reading was all the product placement. At times, I had to wonder if I was reading a commercial. Perhaps the author funded part of the book with the product placement? But, otherwise it was a pretty good book. It was reminiscent of The Cobra Event by Richard Preston. There were no problems in the eBook edition and only 1 noticeable misspelling.
Lynda Kelly
This was a freebie for the Kindle and I'll certainly be on the lookout for the next tale in this series which we're promised !!
It's about a young female lawyer who dies very unexpectedly and her best friend's quest to learn why she died as she just shouldn't have done. It is very believable indeed and you do have to wonder about all this genetically modified "stuff" that's around these days and continues to be created.
I'd highly recommend this one.
Sharon
I couldn't put this book down. What's killing people across America? Dr. Gwen Maulder wants to find out after her best friend has a seizure in the courtroom right before trying a case.

It's an adventure that takes you from the FDA, to Hawaii, to the political board rooms. The characters are very well thought out and draw you into their lives. This terrifying story line could be the front page news.

Excellent read!
Jean Browne
Good, tight medical thriller that is a real page turner. This story involves a healthy,driven young lawyer who dies unexpectently. When her friend Gwen, a scientist, seeks to find out why, she discovers a much bigger and dangerous mystery putting herself in danger with some very important people. Will Gwen be able to escape? This book had all the right elements for me. It was a page turner and great fun.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
This was free when I downloaded it to my Nook library. It is a work of fiction with more than enough facts to make the danger to its innocent victims plausible.
...there is currently no law that require premarket safety review of genetically modified food...

I recommend it to all readers of medical thrillers and conspiracy investigations.
Valerie
I liked this one...a little bit medical mystery, a little bit thriller. The problem presented was interesting and new, not something that had been used ad nauseum (like the evil corporation spewing out harmful chemicals into the environment). Kudos for a little creativity.
Jack
A young woman dies unexpectedly and her best friend can't believe it's just unlucky. A journalist notices odd news stories of people acting crazy. Is there a connection ? Biothriller with a plot that holds the attention.
Dave Wooldridge
A decent medical/political thriller. I've read better novels in this genre, but this book was more interesting than I had expected. If you enjoy reading Robin Cook or Michael Palmer, then you may find this one worth reading.
William
Written by a friend of mine, Capitol Reflections is based on hard science and presents chilling scenarios related to potential terrorist actions. A real thriller.
I enjoyed reading this book...some parts a little far fetched, but that's action/ adventure.
Whimsical
This book is so interesting--a very fast read. My firt ime reading this author and I am impressed.
Genemar
Kindle eBook-Free
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
DeAnna
DeAnna added it
Feb 22, 2015
Robin Lyn
Robin Lyn marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Doreen Petersen
Doreen Petersen marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
julie haidet
julie haidet marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Dead Saint
  • Commune of Women
  • On Sparrow Hill (The Oak Leaves #2)
  • The Lethal Effect
  • Double Exposure
  • Dead Air (Sammy Greene, #1)
  • Blood Country (Claire Watkins, #1)
  • The Noon God
  • Shadow of Death
  • Blood Island: A Matt Royal Mystery
  • Zero Sum, Entire Trilogy Bundle
  • State of Rebellion (Pug Connor, #1)
  • One September Morning
  • Fuse of Armageddon
  • Entangled (The Fredrickson Winery Novels)
  • The Mark of a Druid
  • Amos Walker: The Complete Story Collection
  • How to Be a Writer: Building Your Creative Skills Through Practice and Play
Covered Lives: A Managed Care Thriller Computers In Medicine: Applications And Possibilities