Start by marking “Deadly Innocence” as Want to Read:
Deadly Innocence

Deadly Innocence

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  2,998 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Karla and Paul seemed like the picture-perfect newlyweds, but were really a pair of vicious killers who abducted, sexually tortured and murdered innocent schoolgirls, videotaping their evil acts in suburban Niagara Falls. Billed as the crime of the century in Canada, this case has received a great deal of media coverage on both sides of the border. Includes eight pages of ...more
Published November 1st 1995 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Innocence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Innocence

In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteHelter Skelter by Vincent BugliosiThe Stranger Beside Me by Ann RuleThe Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonThe Manson File by Nikolas Schreck
True Crime
18th out of 405 books — 423 voters
In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteHelter Skelter by Vincent BugliosiThe Stranger Beside Me by Ann RuleThe Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonColumbine by Dave Cullen
Best True Crime
191st out of 457 books — 730 voters

More lists with this book...

Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
Canada’s own Barbie & Ken gone very bad – a well written, extremely disturbing story. At the time this was happening I followed it religiously in the news as did most Canadians, read a couple of other books on it as well. I’m still trying to figure out Karla. Was she just a mind-twisted victim (as this author implies) or a cold, calculating piece of crap? Jury is still out on that one…
Lightreads
So I keep reading true crime when what I actually want to be reading are the custodial offender interview reports from the Behavioral Sciences Unit. Those are slightly harder to get your hands on (not impossible, though). And one of these days I'm just going to have to stop reading true crime as a pale, pale substitute, because, well, insert a brief essay here on the many reasons true crime is inherently problematic.

This particular book is actually half-decent. Paul Bernardo raped an uncertain n
Brittany
Feb 06, 2010 Brittany rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who has heard about Bernardo/Homolka and wants to know the full story
Recommended to Brittany by: My dad
Shelves: nonfiction, crime
How I Came To Read This Book: When Karla Homolka was on her way out of prison, I really had no idea who she was or what she’d done. My dad spazzed and gave my sister and I each a book that covered the notorious couple of Paul Bernardo & Homolka, and I read this one (I read the other one a couple of years later).

The Plot: Karla Homolka and Paul Bernardo are two of Canada’s most legendary serial killers – having murdered three young girls (including most disturbingly, Homolka’s sister mere we
Robin
It almost feels wrong to give this book 5 stars when I really try not to give a book 5 stars unless it's brilliant but for a true crime this is above and beyond. Sometimes it was painfully hard to read what these two disturbed adults did but that was because the author really captured the depth of the terrifying story.
Angela Risner
This book is an account of the Ken and Barbie Murderers of Canada, Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka. For those of you who haven't heard of the formerly married serial rapists/murderers, Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka met when she was 17 and he was 23. Paul, at the time, had started raping young women at that point. Karla indulged his activities and even started participating in them. Together they raped quite a few girls and killed at least three young girls, including Karla's younger sister. Th ...more
Kimberly Hicks
This is one of those stories that will leave your mouth gaped open throughout the read. The things this couple did to young women are only things lurking in a deranged person's nightmares. If you've ever seen the movie, Natural Born Killers, this couple sort of puts you in the same frame of mind. How you could torture innocent people all for the sake of your sexual pleasure, is something I will never understand about some human nature.

I believe in honoring your marriage, but there are some thin
Natalie
Usually I hate these mass-market paperback exploitations of well-known cases, (and why do they always have such ridiculously lame titles?) but a co-worker handed it to me and I had to pass my late-night shift somehow. Plus which, I was sort of interested based on the fact that Paul Bernardo's mere ownership of a copy of "American Psycho" was enough for my more censorious sisters in feminism to call for its banning.

It's at least fairly readable, though the recalled dialogue by Bernardo and Karla
Hayley Scarlett
While the content of the novel was interesting and provides insight into the relationship from close friends and acquaintances, I found the severe lack of editing very distracting. Almost every single page had a spelling or grammatical error, some that were very basic. While I am not normally one to complain or review books, I was incredibly disappointed with my money spent on this novel. I was hoping that as the book went on it would improve, but with each chapter I noticed more and more. It go ...more
Emma
I'd love to be able to rate this book more highly due to the fascinating subject matter but sadly it is so poorly written and edited that it could only ever pass as okay. Full stops in the middle of sentences but frequently not at the ends; quotation marks at the start of quotes and not at the ends; incorrect words and various other bloopers pepper the pages. The book is also awash with useless information that could easily have been cut - do we really need to know the family background of a pas ...more
Kristen
Very interesting, but quite possibly the most disturbing book I've ever read.
Amy
Jul 26, 2011 Amy added it
Sick pukes!
Jamie
Sickening!
J.N.
Oct 07, 2012 J.N. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
***This review may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk***

Deadly Innocence is a true crime novel about the famous Canadian couple, Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka. They are famous for abducting, torturing, and murdering innocent school girls, as well as videotaping their evil acts. Paul was also a notorious rapist.

This was a very hard book to get through. I decided to read this a while after watching the movie, Karla. The book goes into a whole lot more detail than the movie does.

The book is
Eva Leger
I've read a lot of true crime books over the years and I've never failed to be able to bring this to mind when I think of the word 'monsters'. I don't recall enough - anything actually - about the actual writing so I can't say much there. I gave it three stars for that reason.
The monsters who this book is about? What can I say? What hasn't been said already? Karla's nasty ass is incredibly lucky because she should have been tortured for her role in the murders. Karla is more disgusting than what
Nobody
The true story is beyond fascinating. I've read everything there is to read about it. Including most of Karla's actual deposition. I don't know what the author was thinking, but this was absolutely unreadable bullshit. If you want a quick overview of the case, watch the movie Karla. If you want more in-depth information, read the news. This book is utter egoistical crap.
Shawn
This is the true story of Karla Homolka. A woman who with her new husband raped, tortured and killed several women and took part in the rape and murder of her little sister.

I picked this up at a one shelf book exchange while traveling having no idea what the book was about and probably wouldn't have gotten it if I had realized how graphic some of the rape scenes were. That was years ago and I have never forgotten this book.

True crime lovers will love this book. There are pictures in it too (wed
Anne Hayes
Shocking in its intensity. The authors did not spare the ready the grisly details. Intriguing. Disturbing. Tragic.
Gina Folkersen
The content of this book was quite informative yet I had a hard time getting past all the mistakes in spelling that gives the impression the book was rushed and not edited properly if at all. I thought it was a good book in the fact that it tells the story well but I did find it hard to get through the details of the indignities and murders of Tammy, Kristen and Leslie. May they RIP...
Shari
I know a bit about the story of Karla Homolka and Paul Bernardo from family members who lives in Ontario, so I was anxious to read this book when it was loaned to me by a friend (I am also a fan of Ann Rule's true-crime books). I thought this book was well organized, thorough, and a quick read. Very disturbing story, that leaves you questioning the wife's participation.
This book was interesting, but it wasn't really about the schoolgirl murders in Canada that took place in the early 90's. The majority of the book centers on the relationship between Paul Bernado and Karla Homolka. So if you want to read a book about the complicated dynamics of a sexual sadist relationship, this book is a good read. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.
Kathy Przyborowski
May 01, 2008 Kathy Przyborowski rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who is into true-crime.
Recommended to Kathy by: Amazon.com
This was a fairly long book, but definately a must to any true-crime aficionado! This book never has a dull moment, there was even a movie inspired by this story, 'Karla'. This is the true story of statutory rape, abuse (physical/emotional), murder, sexual perversion and what some woman will do and put up with for love.
Kim Ronse
Sorry, I was not going to rate this book and that is my bias, but I freed my mind of the crime and reminded myself that I was rating the writing and book not the crime...The book was written very well and if someone wanted to find out what happened in these two peoples lives then it is a good read.
Claire Weber
After this book, you will be left with a new sense of thinking. Why did they do it? Was she a victim or a killer? Why weren't they stopped earlier? This book was sick and sad but really good. If you like true crime and can handle sick murder on young girls, then read it, but be prepared.
Ruth
A fascinating story. Almost impossible to believe that two people could be so evil. I read this book on a kindle and was really distracted by all the print errors. Don't know if the paper edition was the same. Still, the story was so compelling that I tried to ignore the typos.
Morgan M.
This is disturbing, dark, and riveting. I don't understand how people can be so cruel and cold, but I love to read about it. It is fascinating to me. If you have a weak stomach or you are scared of the dark-- Don't read this one!
A.R.
This proves once and for all that you can't judge a book by its cover. An excellent account of Canada's Ken and Barbie killers, a story of kidnapping, rape, and murder of children no author could make up.
HappyLittleSoul Books
I hope this heifer rots in hades for what she did to her baby sister and now she lives free with her own child? Beyond disgusted, but the book did what it was supposed to do.
Melanie
One of the most disturbing serial murder cases of our time. The book is well-written, despite its bias toward Karla Holmolka being a victim instead of a murderess.
UnculturedSwine
True crime book about the Barbie and Ken serial killers from the late 80's - early 90's. The writing is very stilted but the story of what happened is compelling.
weird shit 7 28 Oct 07, 2012 03:07PM
  • Lethal Marriage: The Unspeakable Crimes of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka
  • Invisible Darkness
  • Cruel Sacrifice
  • Whatever Mother Says...: A True Story of a Mother, Madness and Murder
  • Perfect Victim: The True Story of "The Girl in the Box"
  • Cruel Deception
  • A Beautiful Child
  • From Cradle to Grave: The Short Lives and Strange Deaths of Marybeth Tinning's Nine Children
  • House Of Secrets