The Unloved

The Unloved

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  2,891 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Lush, a deceptively tranquil, the secluded islandbasks in splendid isolation off the South Carolinacoast--as does the Devereaux mansion, a once-greatplantation house now crumbling amidst the ancientoaks. Now, for the first time in two decades,Kevin Devereaux has returned here with his wife andchildren to visit Kevin's hated, and frighteningmother. She said she was ill--but...more
Mass Market Paperback, 358 pages
Published June 1st 1988 by Bantam (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Unloved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unloved

The Blackstone Chronicles by John SaulSuffer the Children by John SaulThe Manhattan Hunt Club by John SaulBlack Creek Crossing by John SaulComes the Blind Fury by John Saul
Best John Saul Books
12th out of 34 books — 59 voters
Suffer the Children by John SaulThe God Project by John SaulThe Unloved by John SaulHouse of Reckoning by John SaulThe Unwanted by John Saul
The Frightful Best Of John Saul
3rd out of 18 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathy
This is excruciating to read. I'm so close to finishing, but I feel so done with it! I've never not finished a book, so I'll finish this one as well, despite everything. This book is what makes slasher films so popular....the blood, guts and shock value.....no content! I love slasher films, don't get me wrong, but I want my books to be weightier! And when John Saul takes a dream from earlier in the book and we realize it's actually prophetic, he treats us like 2 year olds and explains it till it...more
Adam Wilson
The Unloved is yet another great horror novel by John Saul. The book concerns the Deveraux family's return to a crumbling mansion where Kevin, the father, grew up. At first, Kevin does not wish to stay at the house, but after the death of his mother (whom he greatly dislikes,) he is forced to stay because of his sister, who is damaged in more than just a physical way, and because of his mother's will which doesn't allow any other plausible solusion but for the family to stay in the house. The no...more
Niquole Abram
Well, this book was good up until the last 100 pages. The town was walking around with blinders on and suddenly everyone was stuttering and stammering every sentence. That and the flaws surrounding one of the characters action were implausible. If someone in their mid fifties has a lame leg and is nearly crippled by it, I can assure they are NOT going to be flitting about killing people younger, faster and stronger than them.

It was like the classic horror movie cliché; victim is running faster...more
Ben
Another crummy book from one of the horror genre's biggest hacks. (He's still a ways behind Koontz as the #1 hack but he's moving up rather quickly).
Kellee
This book was long, boring and predictable. This is my 2nd and probably last, John Saul book.
Di
Jun 28, 2011 Di rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
SPOILERS

The Unloved by John Saul tells the story of Kevin Deveraux and his family -- wife Anne, daughter Julie, and son Jeff. Kevin's much hated, widowed mother is dying and Kevin is summoned home by his sister, Marguerete, a ballet dancer whose dreams were cut short when her hip was broken in an accident. Helene, the mother, is controlling, demanding, and cruel. She bullies Marguerete and is infuriated that she herself only holds the family lands in trust (introducing a plot hole). When she fin...more
Conny
John Saul The Unloved

Once in 1988 I found books from John Saul in a library.
I loved them.

All these years I started collected the books.
Some were not translated into Dutch, so I had to learn English very quick, because I needed to read those books.

Some I could not buy new, so I looked for them everywhere, even in other countries.
Finally I've got all his books, I was so happy.

Half of the books are in Dutch and the other half in English.
I even talked to John Saul years ago when he had a chat night...more
Christina
I first read this book in junior high and remember being so terrified by it. Of course, a couple of weeks ago I stumbled upon it again and while I could recall the feeling when I first read it, I could not remember much of anything else. A good opportunity to make an old book new!

This is another of Saul's book set in the rural south with a creepy desolate mansion on an island that has been owned by the Devereaux family for more than a century. The only road in is a causeway that comes and goes w...more
Nadia
It seemed a bit too easy to tell who the murderer would be close to the begining of the book, but I was suprised by how freaking insane the person was. The murders started out slowly, a pretty normal pace for this kind of book, but came to a crimson splattered climax that was waaaaaaay disturbing.
The characters themselves were believable, but frustrating. Parts of the book made me want to yell at the characters like some people do in movie theaters, "Don't do that you idiot! Your gonna die! She...more
alison ruby
Riveting story

I found myself staying up into the wee hours struggling to put the book down. The story brought tears to my eyes.
Brian Burch
Read this a LONG time ago. I liked this one, but he took the ending on this one WAY too far for me.
Stephanie
I really enjoyed the first 200 pages then it got bizarre. A 50 year old woman with a bad hip and a severe limp brutally killed about 4 people within 20 pages. Assumably from being mentally and physically abused her whole life.

Then at the end, her niece - who grew up normally until age 17 and has been exposed to this aunt for maybe two months - starts to share the same traits. Totally unbelievable as it took the aunt years of abuse to get this way, unless they are insinuating that the mental illn...more
Douglas Castagna
Now when I told my wife what I thought about STC, she said, no, read Unloved. I did. To me, it seems like they were written by different writers. No prologue, and this tells the generational tale of a family rife with dysfunctional, heralded over by a tyrannical matriarch who is on her death bed. Her son who left as soon as he could, is called back, and due to an iron clad will, must stay in his ancestral home. Only problem is people start dying. Very well written and conceived. I actually felt...more
Sridhar Babu
Jan 25, 2010 Sridhar Babu rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: to all fiction lovers..a must read book
Recommended to Sridhar by: took from a book shop on my own
This was one of my wonderful scary,books....while reading this book i felt some strange presence in my room as if I was watched by something..evil. The after effects of this book...I got nitemares,panic attacks,sudden trumbling etc. After reading this book I was very much scared to go to celler or to attic to take things out there. People say stephen king as a horror writer, but for me John saul is ine and the best.
My very fav., character of this novel is "Marguerite" If this book, made as a fe...more
Katrin
Good book kept me interested throughout the whole book.
Stacie
Dec 29, 2013 Stacie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of horror
Shelves: 1980s, horror, 2013
This book was really quite good. Every event was completely unexpected and it was very suspenseful. About halfway through the book is when things really start to get exciting and I kept thinking about where the plot was headed since so many vital aspects of the story were being destroyed by the author. Then, the ending is somewhat shocking. Although this story was definitely dramatic, I think that it is a good representation of how important a mother's love is, and how detrimental it can be to a...more
Beneatha
It started off good however as the book progressed it became slower and slower. As that was happening, it was very obvious as to who was killing people and why they were dying.
By the middle of the book,I was extremely annoyed by the antagonist of the story. Even though they are never the favorites of a book, this one was too much.
This is not the first book that I have read by John Saul and I expected better.
Latasha
This wasn't the best John Saul book I've read it it wasn't terrible. Just ok.
Andra
The book starts a bit hard (the first 50 pages), but after the story really begins, you can.t leave the book from your hands. But it is sinister... very very sinister... like any John Saul book. But still, as all his books, I was under it.s spell. I was scared... terrified... anxious... but I had to read it all the way. And they were all crazy... at least most of them :))
Linda
I read this book 25 years ago and it still sticks in my head when I think of books that haunted me. It had my heart pounding & from page to page I had no idea what was going to happen next. Ever since this book I have been a John Saul groupie. His books are high on the creep factor and so very enjoyable to read.
Cathy
Why I read a second John Saul book four years later when I was so disturbed by the first one is beyond me. This one was no better, presenting evil and cruelty throughout with so little hope for the protagonist. Once again evil wins out and this was definitely the last John Saul book I have read, or will ever read.
Jamie
I was surprised how much I found myself enjoying this tale by Saul. Not to be a reading snob, but I often find myself going numb when reading too much formulaic horror fiction. This book managed to keep my interest and also got me to purchase a few more Saul books for Mount TBR.
Roxana I.
This book is definitely worth reading.
Christal
This was the strangest book I have encountered in quite some time. I enjoyed approximately three quarters of the book but then it became too far fetched. This book had definite potential but was spoiled by taking the plot to the point of being unrealistic.
Maggie
Jun 08, 2008 Maggie added it
This is one of my favorite scary books. It is very suspensful, but be prepared. John Saul is a predictable writer, so if you have read any of his other books, you will be able to be guess what will happen to certain characters.
Nicole
The 4-stars is based on my elementary school reading of this book. Yes, I read this when I was pretty young - 5th grade maybe? I remember it scaring the crap out of me! I've been looking for it b/c I want to re-read it.
Nikolas
This has to be one of my favorite novels. It is excruciating to read in the sense that you're quite frankly terrified of what's to come at certain parts of the book. I definitely recommend this.
Tara
Again, John Saul has entrapped me in his way of bringing his characters to life. He is a highly skilled writer. Most certainly one of my all time favorites. This book is definitely worth reading.
Tracy
I have always enjoed John Saul books. This book did not dissapoint me. It flowed rather quickly up until the end. The plot is a familiar one, predictable, but I still enjoyed it.
Kate
One might think that since John Saul wrote this and Unwanted back to back, that they might be somehow related. Not so. John Saul is an enigma like that.
  • Superstitious
  • The Amityville Horror II
  • The House of Thunder
  • Headstone City
  • Monstrosity
John Saul was born in Pasadena, California on February 25, 1942, and grew up in Whittier where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he...more