Start by marking “Earthstar Magic” as Want to Read:
Earthstar Magic

Earthstar Magic

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Ellen and Ben meet a friendly witch who reveals the magic power of the earthstar to them.
Published November 1st 1979 by Hastings House

To ask other readers questions about Earthstar Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earthstar Magic

Ginna
Found this @a thrift store Friday. I loved Ruth Chew growing up. Interesting to look @ her now. Though I enjoy the stories, the formula is pretty much the same in most of her books. As an earlier commenter noted- "unsupervised 11-year-olds + magic = fun"
I think the intended audience must be about 7 or 8 though - very simple sentence construction.

I would add that Earthstar Magic has some more mature thematic elements than Mostly Magic - ideas about growing up & being able to take care of you...more
HeavyReader
Jun 20, 2007 HeavyReader rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people fascinated by witches and magic
Most of the Ruth Chew books I've read just kind of blur together in my head. I know I've read them, but I can't really remember the plot. This book I remember more vividly, becasue I remember the witch and the kids flying around on the earthstar, which is some kind of plant or plant part. It was like some sort of plant based magic carpet. Cool!
Danielle
Found my copy of this book in my mother's basement. I remember it being oner of those books that I read over and over again. Both my kids have now read it, and they are both enjoying it. Magic, yay!
Cheryl in CC NV
Cute: another perspective re' witches and magic and being very small, best for ages 8-10.
Angie Lisle
Ruth Chew was one of my favorite authors as a kid - I still enjoy the magic woven in her stories!
Christina Wells
Christina Wells marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Sandra Pfeifer
Sandra Pfeifer marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
CJ
CJ marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Vivian
Vivian marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Joy
Joy added it
Oct 13, 2013
Dave Olsher
Dave Olsher marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2013
Deahn
Deahn marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2013
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2013
Anita
Anita marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2013
Jenara
Jenara added it
Jun 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Ruth Chew is the author of a number of popular books for young readers, including Secondhand Magic and The Wednesday Witch. She was born in Minneapolis and grew up in Washington, D.C. She studied art at the Corcoran School of Art and worked as a fashion artist. She was the mother of five children.
More about Ruth Chew...
What the Witch Left The Wednesday Witch The Witch's Buttons No Such Thing as a Witch The Trouble with Magic