Comes the Blind Fury

Comes the Blind Fury

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  3,918 ratings  ·  85 reviews
A century ago, a gentle blind girl walked the cliffs of Paradise Point. Then the children came -- taunting, teasing -- until she lost her footing and fell, shrieking her rage to the drowning sea... Now Michelle has come from Boston to live in the big house on Paradise Point. She is excited about her new life, ready to make new friends... until a hand reaches out of the swi...more
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published May 2nd 1990 by Dell (first published January 1st 1980)

The Blackstone Chronicles by John SaulSuffer the Children by John SaulThe Manhattan Hunt Club by John SaulBlack Creek Crossing by John SaulPunish the Sinners by John Saul
Best John Saul Books
5th out of 34 books — 57 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingThe Stand by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
The Definitive Horror Book List
179th out of 784 books — 991 voters

More lists with this book...

Melanie
This was my first John Saul and had it not been for this one I probably wouldn't have tried for years to get my hands on every John Saul book that was ever written. It was the first of many to be read. Loved it; cover to cover Exceptional Writer. Highly recommend this.
Kasia
I have read a few John Saul’s in the past but this one was a bit different, it went deeper into the psyche of the characters he created making their grief and pain so much more realistic. The atmosphere surrounding this scary and thrilling novel was quite good, in fact it was one of the most realistic parts and I felt the salty breeze, saw the sandy dunes and the sea grass sprouting near the Pendleton house right over the cliffs near the cemetery in the quaint town of Paradise Point. It seemed t...more
Crystal
While I loved this book - classic John Saul - and read it within a two days - I felt that some of the characters acted like props. The father figure turns easily into a complete *hole. The mother figure goes with it and tries to make everyone happy without really doing anything about it. The neighbor boy seems to lack action or feelings unless it is related to someone else's feelings. It was a classic John Saul story - something horrible happen in the past and the house is haunted in some sense...more
Rhonda A.
This was the first John Saul book that I read and I was completely hooked on his books from day one. They are well written, interesting, and easy to read. This is the only author that I own every single book he has written and when a new one comes out I buy it without even looking to see what it is about. He is THAT good!
Kate
John Saul's early novels are characterized by archaic, Biblical-sounding titles with pictures of people with weird blank eyes.

When I searched for John Saul, the first FIRST book on the list is by Dean Koontz. Ah, John Saul, did you want to be Dean Koontz as well as Stephen King? Well, I suppose since you would never be Stephen King, and Dean Koontz for a while was a second-rate Stephen King, then we are left with John Saul, who is the bargain-basement Stephen King.
Joanie
My sister and I were on a big John Saul kick when we were in junior high and high school. We eventually got tired of the formulaic storytelling but for a while there we were hooked. This one was about a blind girl who winds up dying while being teased by a group of kids and she comes back to enact her revenge. I think I'll stay away from any re-reads and just be happy with my memories of this one!
Anne Barnett
I have actually read this book twice. The first time was when I was a tween. I reread it recently because I had always been bragging about what a great book it was. This book is a great starter book for someone who wants to get into the horror genre. Nothing gruesome particularly disturbing occurs in this story.
Miranda
Comes The Blind Fury starts by introducing us to a young girl. She's blind, but has learned how to navigate the cliffs near her home. Until one day a group of children finds her, and those cliffs become a lot more dangerous.

From there, the novel jumps ahead a century to introduce us to the Pendletons, a family of three who have recently moved to the town of Paradise Point. Michelle -- the child in the family -- loves her new home, and has mostly settled in well at school. But something isn't qui...more
Molly
This book was pretty good, definitely spooky at times, if it was a movie I probably couldn't watch it, but it was a fun read. Fast-paced and attention grabbing!
Trisha
Amanda net twaalf jaar. Ze was een klein, tenger meisje. Altijd in het zwart gekleed. Het belangrijkste ze was blind. Ze liep met haar stok tastend over het pad langs de kust over de rotsen.
Toen kwamen de kinderen. Ze treiterden haar en Amanda wilde daar weg. Ze vluchtte en toen was er niets meer. Geen grond niets...

Honderd jaar later verhuist Michelle met haar stiefouders naar Paradise Point. Ze is twaalf en altijd vrolijk. En verheugd zich op haar nieuwe bestaan in een nieuwe omgeving. Maar da...more
Tom
Twelve-year-old Michelle isn't sure what to expect when her family moves from Boston to the tiny seaside village of Paradise Point. She knows her father, Dr. Cal Pendleton, is reeling from a mistake he made, a mistake which caused a young boy to die during surgery. Michelle's mother, June, is very pregnant, and can't wait to resume her career as an artist.

After the mishap in Boston, Cal meets Dr. Josiah Carson, the elderly doctor who accompanied the doomed boy from Paradise Point to Boston. Dr....more
Tiara
In the 1800s (quick, I'm having a Hellfire flashback), a young blind girl used to walk along the cliffs of Paradise Point. One day, a group of children start teasing her until she falls over the cliff. A decade later, a couple and their adopted daughter, Michelle, move into the house that the blind girl, Amanda, used to live in. Michelle is injured and becomes cripple, leading to the town children taunting her. Amanda wants revenge and soon starts using Michelle as her "eyes" to end the laughter...more
Marianneboss
Middle school Carrie! LOL, I had to say that.
This book has all the feeling of the 70's - 80's horror movies and I love it for that.
I think that rather than a vengeful ghost story, this is about how adults prefer to go blind to their children problems instead of dealing with them or accept that there's something wrong and thus admitting their own failure on any form of parenting or authority.
Sheryl Dunn
Made it to page 342 before giving up. The book became very frustrating and predictable for me. Examples: Predictable in that at 342 I knew what was going to happen to Annie and frustrating because the teacher was dumb enough not to just WATCH and call her man, but to LEAVE Michelle and Annie ALONE.

These kinds of illogical and irresponsible actions by adults are chock throughout the book, the worst being Cal, Michelle's father. The entire book is pretty predictable in that, if something bad CAN h...more
Debbie
Great ghost story! I read a book when I was 9 or 10 called Wait Till Helen Comesand it scared me to pieces! However, I will always love ghost stories because of it! (I read it again recently and, although a children's book, I thought it still had sufficient creepy factor!)
Comes the Blind Fury was similar, but for adults. Having a 12 year old child be the victim of the ghost's wrath created excellent tension and build-up throughout as we saw her innocence be manipulated and twisted by the ghost....more
Michelle
I read this book close to 20 years ago, and it has always stuck with me as a good, paranormal book. I'd recommend this if you like the genre.
Tanya
I read this book years ago and I remember it giving me goosebumps. If you like paranormal chillers, this is a good one.
Heather
Very scary and fun book! If you are into paranormal this will not disappoint you at all!
Hannah
I was asking around for a really good, really scary, nightmare-giving novel when someone told me to try any books by John Saul. So I went to the bookstore and found quite a few of his books. Maybe it's the 'spooky' picture of the girl on the cover, or maybe it's just fate, but I ended up buying this one. It took me only a few days to finish it, and not because it's that gripping. The whole story is quite simple, nothing really extraordinary about it- a dead girl seeking revenge, working through...more
Andra
John Saul is one of my favorite authors and when the opportunity came for me to read „Comes the blind fury” I didn.t wait around.

The book was a bit less than I expected, but this doesn.t mean it wasn.t a good book. It had the catch that I was so used to. It was terrifying and brutal. And made me wonder about the human nature.

Comes the blind fury is the story of a girl that comes to the conclusion that she is all alone in the world and finds comfort where she shouldn.t. Strange things start hap...more
Katrin
Takes a little bit to get into but once you do gets real interesting.
Traci Renee
scared the beejezus out of me as a teen!
Crystal
Scariest novel I've ever read.
Jess Hanna
One star, two stars... I gave this two because I like the idea, but John's early writing style is terrible. He also tended to toss in enough ridiculous pop psychology to make me roll my eyes at the absurdity. He is good at creating an image and playing it through, but it feels like he is cramming ideas down the reader's throat instead of attempting to tell the story from the character's perspective.
S.L. Dixon
A very fun, short novel and the idea is creepy, confusing a blind girl until she walks off a cliff, fantastic and of course she came back for revenge.
There were a few odds that seems tossed in, but I really enjoyed that the author didn't see the need to save the children and the story flowed quickly and concluded before I had the chance to ponder too closely the pattern threatening boring redundancy.
Dawn
I read this book many years ago (early 80's). This was probably my favorite book by John Saul. I remember that it scared the crap out of me. I could not leave the cover face up beside my bed at night. I had my teenage daughter read it many years later & she did not find it as scary as I did. Kids today don't seem to scare as easy as kids did in the 80's.
Trudi
Haven't read early John Saul since I was a teenager. Can't remember hardly a thing other than they scared me at the time and contributed to my love of horror. I can't imagine any of his books would have the same effect on me now. John Saul just isn't that good of a writer, even all these years later, I don't think he's gotten any better.
Douglas Castagna
Classic Saul, or so I would guess, since it is the fourth book in his long list of hits. I read this one, again at the urging of my wife, and found it too be a solid entry in the horror genre. Classic trauma, causing angry spirit, angry spirit finds sympathetic ear, and the proverbial shit hits the proverbial fan. A decent read.
Brianne
this book is about a family that moved from boston to a different town. when the get there weird things start to happen. people start to get hurt and even die. so the girl that lives there has this doll and it starts to tell the girl that nobody loves her. i would suggest this book to people who like mystries.
Kristi
I like John Saul. This was not my favorite, but I appreciate how he makes things intense and scary without being gory or having bad language. I think this would have scared me a LOT as a tween! (A good kind of scared!) John Saul is who I credit with my love of horror!
Gore and More: The Other 5 11 Nov 11, 2013 11:44PM
  • Savage
  • The House
  • Julia
  • Black Cathedral (Department 18, #1)
  • Bethany's Sin
  • Ancient Images
  • The Amityville Horror II
  • The Unseen
  • American Supernatural Tales
  • The Vision
  • The Ghosts Of Sleath (David Ash, #2)
  • Naomi's Room
  • The Servants of Twilight
  • The Mask
  • Mercy
  • In Silent Graves
  • The Loveliest Dead
John Saul was born in Pasadena, California on February 25, 1942, and grew up in Whittier where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he...more