Start by marking “Comes the Blind Fury” as Want to Read:
Comes the Blind Fury

Comes the Blind Fury

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,472 Ratings  ·  114 Reviews
A century ago, a gentle blind girl walked the cliffs of Paradise Point. Then the children came -- taunting, teasing -- until she lost her footing and fell, shrieking her rage to the drowning sea... Now Michelle has come from Boston to live in the big house on Paradise Point. She is excited about her new life, ready to make new friends... until a hand reaches out of the swi ...more
Published May 2nd 1990 by Dell (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Comes the Blind Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Comes the Blind Fury

The Blackstone Chronicles by John SaulSuffer the Children by John SaulShadows by John SaulBlack Creek Crossing by John SaulThe Manhattan Hunt Club by John Saul
Best John Saul Books
9th out of 34 books — 68 voters
The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingThe Stand by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram Stoker
The Definitive Horror Book List
161st out of 998 books — 1,377 voters

More lists with this book...

Sandra
Jan 01, 2016 Sandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, horror
The Pendleton family arrive at their new home in Paradise Point (a village a couple of hours northeast of Boston). Dr. Calvin Pendleton has switched jobs, from working at a hospital in Boston, to a small clinic in Paradise Point. After treating a small boy in Boston who had an accident and died (he fell from a roof) Cal now feels guilty over the boy's death and is questioning his abilities/judgment. Another doctor that originally worked on the boy, who happened to be from Paradise Point, suggest ...more
Matthew
3.5 Stars

Not bad for a simple thriller - easy to read and creepy in several places.

I started reading Saul from the beginning of his career and in these early books he definitely has a formula - in a couple of months I am pretty sure I will not remember if something happened in this book or the others I have read. But, i do enjoy these and will probably read more.
Rebecca McNutt
May 12, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it liked it
Rather generic, but chilling and haunting enough to be memorable. John Saul's novel is filled with cliffhangers, complex characters and eerie false innocence that'll leave you ever-wondering.
Melanie
Jan 27, 2012 Melanie rated it it was amazing
This was my first John Saul and had it not been for this one I probably wouldn't have tried for years to get my hands on every John Saul book that was ever written. It was the first of many to be read. Loved it; cover to cover Exceptional Writer. Highly recommend this.
Kasia
Aug 26, 2012 Kasia rated it really liked it
I have read a few John Saul’s in the past but this one was a bit different, it went deeper into the psyche of the characters he created making their grief and pain so much more realistic. The atmosphere surrounding this scary and thrilling novel was quite good, in fact it was one of the most realistic parts and I felt the salty breeze, saw the sandy dunes and the sea grass sprouting near the Pendleton house right over the cliffs near the cemetery in the quaint town of Paradise Point. It seemed t ...more
Kate
Aug 20, 2008 Kate rated it liked it
John Saul's early novels are characterized by archaic, Biblical-sounding titles with pictures of people with weird blank eyes.

When I searched for John Saul, the first FIRST book on the list is by Dean Koontz. Ah, John Saul, did you want to be Dean Koontz as well as Stephen King? Well, I suppose since you would never be Stephen King, and Dean Koontz for a while was a second-rate Stephen King, then we are left with John Saul, who is the bargain-basement Stephen King.
Rhonda A.
Mar 06, 2014 Rhonda A. rated it it was amazing
This was the first John Saul book that I read and I was completely hooked on his books from day one. They are well written, interesting, and easy to read. This is the only author that I own every single book he has written and when a new one comes out I buy it without even looking to see what it is about. He is THAT good!
Tom
Dec 23, 2012 Tom rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, horror
Twelve-year-old Michelle isn't sure what to expect when her family moves from Boston to the tiny seaside village of Paradise Point. She knows her father, Dr. Cal Pendleton, is reeling from a mistake he made, a mistake which caused a young boy to die during surgery. Michelle's mother, June, is very pregnant, and can't wait to resume her career as an artist.

After the mishap in Boston, Cal meets Dr. Josiah Carson, the elderly doctor who accompanied the doomed boy from Paradise Point to Boston. Dr.
Crystal
Jul 03, 2012 Crystal rated it liked it
While I loved this book - classic John Saul - and read it within a two days - I felt that some of the characters acted like props. The father figure turns easily into a complete *hole. The mother figure goes with it and tries to make everyone happy without really doing anything about it. The neighbor boy seems to lack action or feelings unless it is related to someone else's feelings. It was a classic John Saul story - something horrible happen in the past and the house is haunted in some sense ...more
Joanie
Jul 22, 2009 Joanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: high-school, scary
My sister and I were on a big John Saul kick when we were in junior high and high school. We eventually got tired of the formulaic storytelling but for a while there we were hooked. This one was about a blind girl who winds up dying while being teased by a group of kids and she comes back to enact her revenge. I think I'll stay away from any re-reads and just be happy with my memories of this one!
Adrian Rose
Apr 26, 2016 Adrian Rose rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
A young girl named Michelle comes to Paradise Point to start a new life with her parents, and she meets the ghost of a blind girl who fell to her death from the cliff just outside Michelle’s bedroom window. Thus begins a story of terror, because the spirit of this dead girl wants more than just to be heard. She wants vengeance on those who caused her to die, on those who tormented her for being blind, on everyone and everything in the small town where she used to live. And Michelle is the tool t ...more
Anne Barnett
Mar 20, 2013 Anne Barnett rated it it was amazing
I have actually read this book twice. The first time was when I was a tween. I reread it recently because I had always been bragging about what a great book it was. This book is a great starter book for someone who wants to get into the horror genre. Nothing gruesome particularly disturbing occurs in this story.
Miranda
Jun 26, 2014 Miranda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comes The Blind Fury starts by introducing us to a young girl. She's blind, but has learned how to navigate the cliffs near her home. Until one day a group of children finds her, and those cliffs become a lot more dangerous.

From there, the novel jumps ahead a century to introduce us to the Pendletons, a family of three who have recently moved to the town of Paradise Point. Michelle -- the child in the family -- loves her new home, and has mostly settled in well at school. But something isn't qui
Elusive
Dec 18, 2015 Elusive rated it liked it
Shelves: review
In ‘Comes the Blind Fury’, Paradise Point is ironically where a tragedy occurred a century ago. A lonely blind girl named Amanda fell off the cliffs in Paradise Point after being taunted by some kids. However, she’s never really gone away and the Pendleton family finds their lives being torn apart when their daughter Michelle begins changing in mysterious ways.

To be honest, the writing in this book wasn’t the author’s best. Repetition was present throughout the story especially when it revolved
Molly
May 17, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it
This book was pretty good, definitely spooky at times, if it was a movie I probably couldn't watch it, but it was a fun read. Fast-paced and attention grabbing!
Sarah Moser
Read it when I was 12. Scared me to death. About to reread it again 13 years later! :-D
B.D. Crowell
Jan 08, 2015 B.D. Crowell rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, reviewed
Funny how books are so subjective. My wife abhors Stephen King’s books while I adore them… most of them anyway. But she’s a big John Saul fan. I was aware of him but had never read anything by him. So, my wife picked her two favorites from our library and gave them to me to read. This was one of them. Oh my. After reading them, I wonder if perhaps fandom of these writers is mutually exclusive.

I was unable to buy into the story or the characters. Motivations, thoughts, and emotions didn’t seem ap
Trisha
Feb 21, 2015 Trisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2006
Amanda net twaalf jaar. Ze was een klein, tenger meisje. Altijd in het zwart gekleed. Het belangrijkste ze was blind. Ze liep met haar stok tastend over het pad langs de kust over de rotsen.
Toen kwamen de kinderen. Ze treiterden haar en Amanda wilde daar weg. Ze vluchtte en toen was er niets meer. Geen grond niets...

Honderd jaar later verhuist Michelle met haar stiefouders naar Paradise Point. Ze is twaalf en altijd vrolijk. En verheugd zich op haar nieuwe bestaan in een nieuwe omgeving. Maar da
Tiara
Feb 09, 2016 Tiara rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, supernatural
In the 1800s (quick, I'm having a Hellfire flashback), a young blind girl used to walk along the cliffs of Paradise Point. One day, a group of children start teasing her until she falls over the cliff. A decade later, a couple and their adopted daughter, Michelle, move into the house that the blind girl, Amanda, used to live in. Michelle is injured and becomes cripple, leading to the town children taunting her. Amanda wants revenge and soon starts using Michelle as her "eyes" to end the laughter ...more
Marianneboss
Jun 09, 2014 Marianneboss rated it really liked it
Middle school Carrie! LOL, I had to say that.
This book has all the feeling of the 70's - 80's horror movies and I love it for that.
I think that rather than a vengeful ghost story, this is about how adults prefer to go blind to their children problems instead of dealing with them or accept that there's something wrong and thus admitting their own failure on any form of parenting or authority.
Onurius
Mar 03, 2016 Onurius rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Çok zayıf bir plot ve ana temanın evveliyatı üstün körü geçiştirilmiş.
Karakterler fazla yüzeysel ve eylem motivasyonları mantıksız.
Daha önce okuduğum John Saul kitabı (Suffer The Children) biraz daha iyiydi.
Bütün bu acemilikler muhtemelen yazarın ilk dönem yapıtlarından olmasıyla ilgilidir.
Türü sevseniz bile pas geçmenizi öneririm. Tamamen zaman kaybı.
Sheryl Dunn
Sep 06, 2013 Sheryl Dunn rated it liked it
Made it to page 342 before giving up. The book became very frustrating and predictable for me. Examples: Predictable in that at 342 I knew what was going to happen to Annie and frustrating because the teacher was dumb enough not to just WATCH and call her man, but to LEAVE Michelle and Annie ALONE.

These kinds of illogical and irresponsible actions by adults are chock throughout the book, the worst being Cal, Michelle's father. The entire book is pretty predictable in that, if something bad CAN h
Debbie
Mar 27, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it
Great ghost story! I read a book when I was 9 or 10 called Wait Till Helen Comesand it scared me to pieces! However, I will always love ghost stories because of it! (I read it again recently and, although a children's book, I thought it still had sufficient creepy factor!)
Comes the Blind Fury was similar, but for adults. Having a 12 year old child be the victim of the ghost's wrath created excellent tension and build-up throughout as we saw her innocence be manipulated and twisted by the ghost.
Wade Corbeil
Apr 29, 2015 Wade Corbeil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Equal parts ghost story and a warning to those who think it is funny to make fun of those who are different than they are: The price to pay for cruelty is more than most would bargain for.

Exceptionally well written and the character development is equally exceptional. A page-turner that builds suspense right to the last page.
Lynn Orser
May 14, 2016 Lynn Orser rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I always enjoy John Saul's novels and this was no exception. Great story line somewhat different than his other books but still a level of suspense as to who will die. Enjoy
Nicola Mitchell
Jan 31, 2016 Nicola Mitchell rated it it was amazing
My first visit to the world of John Saul and where my love of horror began. Fantastic book, full of suspense and my bated breath. Loved it!
Michelle
Feb 18, 2014 Michelle rated it liked it
I read this book close to 20 years ago, and it has always stuck with me as a good, paranormal book. I'd recommend this if you like the genre.
Milena
Sep 01, 2014 Milena rated it it was amazing
I loved this ooh since it really creeped me out and made me scared which I found good because that meant it made it really realistic.
Tanya
Apr 06, 2014 Tanya rated it it was amazing
I read this book years ago and I remember it giving me goosebumps. If you like paranormal chillers, this is a good one.
Jeff
Apr 18, 2016 Jeff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeff by: Discovered it on my own.

1st Read: January 6, 1997 - January 15, 1997

This didn't really grab me like some books tend to do. It wasn't a bad story in the least, in fact it was good to a point. The predictable ending arrived many, many pages before the story had reached a pinnacle of some plot twist to develop. Boo!

2nd Read: January 4, 2013 - January 6, 2013

Still a good story to a point. I have seen movies very similar to this book. However, I don't feel this is good enough to keep unless a value of some kind can b
Gore and More: The Other 3 15 Nov 11, 2013 11:44PM
  • The Association
  • Funland
  • The Servants of Twilight
  • Emerald Germs of Ireland
  • The Devil's Touch (The Devil, #3)
  • Bethany's Sin
  • Black Cathedral (Department 18, #1)
  • Vampire Stories
  • Kathleen (Sunfire, #8)
  • House of Echoes
  • The Mask
John Saul was born in Pasadena, California on February 25, 1942, and grew up in Whittier where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he