Start by marking “Execution by Hunger: The Hidden Holocaust” as Want to Read:
Execution by Hunger: The Hidden Holocaust

Execution by Hunger: The Hidden Holocaust

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  26 reviews
In 1929, in an effort to destroy the well-to-do peasant farmers, Joseph Stalin ordered the collectivization of all Ukrainian farms. In the ensuing years, a brutal Soviet campaign of confiscations, terrorizing, and murder spread throughout Ukrainian villages. What food remained after the seizures was insufficient to support the population. In the resulting famine as many as ...more
Published June 17th 1987 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published September 25th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Execution by Hunger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Execution by Hunger

Meaghan
This book was strangely tragicomic. On the one hand, the descriptions of starvation, abject suffering and the results (suicide, murder and cannibalism all feature within these pages) were physically painful to read. It had a stronger affect on me, in fact, than the books I've read about the Holocaust.

On the other hand, there were times when I felt like laughing because the Soviet officials brought in to maximize productivity on the collective farm knew NOTHING about farming and they were so stup
Elizabeth
It's very hard to imagine people starving from here in suburbia, counting calories and fighting the obesity war. This very personal account of the events in Dolot's village reads like a novel but is a chilling record of the Holodomor or death by starvation of millions of Ukrainians in the 1930s, which was both the results of failed economic policy of the Communists, and a deliberate act of genocide. Tough stuff to read...but essential knowledge.
Melody
There aren't many books available from people who lived through the ukranian famine. As other reviewers have said, this is difficult to read because of its unbelievable horror. I really enjoyed a first person account of this completely under-reported atrocity. Why this isn't more in the forefront of all-time-world-horrors is beyond me.
Anne
As expected, this book was a hard read. Miron Dolot's memories and thoughts on Ukraine's Holodomor ruminated for 50 years before this book was published. Russian and Ukrainian history is not something that was taught to me in school. I had never heard of the Holodomor until I came to Ukraine as a Peace Corps volunteer. It was every bit as bad as Hitler's Holocaust and every bit as important to study. Dolot does an excellent job of explaining exactly how Stalin was able to execute millions of his ...more
Patrick Peterson
This book provides a first person account of the tragedy of the forced Ukrainian famine of 1929-1933, where about "seven million people in the 'breadbasket of Europe' were deliberately starved to death."

Very gripping.
Incredible detail of how the Soviet system implemented their "voluntary" collectivisation of the Ukrainian farms. The methods described are all the more chilling, when one considers who our own "voluntary" tax system, and voluntary Obamacare system are implemented. The voluntary win
Jonathan Deaux
Coming soon to a country near you.
Any one of the 50,000,000+ Americans depending upon the State to feed, clothe and/or shelter them would be wise to revisit the human cost of instituting Marxism.
Linda Ramsey
This is the story of Stalin's forced collectivization of Ukranian farms in the early 1930's, which the author lived through as a teen. Seven million people in the "breadbasket of Europe" were deliberately starved to death at Stalin's command. Made even more interesting considering what Putin is doing in Ukraine now.
"The farmers had often witnessed the collapse of these types of collective farms (voluntary ones), and therefore laughed at the rumors of collectivization. Why would any government wi
Sammi
Collectivism and communism are EVIL.
Barbara
Man's inhumanity to man knows no bounds. The paranoia and power-hunger of Stalin's USSR used a systematic approach to annihilating Ukrainian farmers in the early 1930s as the collectivization of the "breadbasket of Europe" failed miserably. Ukrainian farmers were an independent lot, and the Soviets could not tolerate this. Thus the imposed famine that killed 7 million Ukrainian farmers and their families in a matter of two years. A survivor's tale tells all about the death of his village.
Sharon
Should be required reading for a history lesson in Marxism / Communism / Socialism. It's amazing what one human will do to another when an overreaching government promises goodies in exchange for loyalty to the system, whatever that system is, at the expense of the innocent. Also, a very important lesson in why the 2nd Amendment should never be taken lightly. Why this evil event in history is hardly mentioned is very puzzling!
Elyse83
To understand why communism does not work in real life, read this true account of forced collectivization and the starvation of the Ukraine in the early 1930s by the Soviet Union's agricultural policies. Be forewarned: graphic descriptions of starvation are in this memoir. A must read for history lovers.
Raul
Genocide by hunger. The Communists, again, on amurder spree.
Heather Angel
While this is a tragic event in History, I found it a very hard read, mainly because the story is quickly bogged down with names and ranks of anyone and everyone that contributed to it's occurance. The reader must weed the actual 'story' from the endless rhetoric and meetings that offer little insight into the personal struggles of the people living through this ordeal.
I lost interest when I could no longer follow the story for these very reasons and did not finish the book~
Chris Elkjar
Great memoir explaining first hand how Stalin's policies directly effected caused the death of millions of Ukrainian farmers between 1930 and 1933.

The author tells his story of surviving as well as dealing with the outrageous demands from the government. Excellent lesson in the outcome of communism and how absolute power corrupts.
Tcufrog04
This book was very powerful in it's descriptions of surviving a famine that is believed to be largely man made. The author's descriptions of his memories were so vivid that at times it made me feel sick to my stomach. This was a great book to inform me of an event that I never even knew took place.
Ekaterina Jaindl
I would like to thank Miron Dolot for his great work of revealing the inconvenient truth that Russia has been trying to hide for many years what the Communism really did for people, even for their own citizens. The Communism is the worst crime committed by humanity since we killed Christ.
Anya
This story by a survivor of the 1932-1933 Execution by Hunger of at least 7 million Ukrainians by the Soviets was a very painful read for me because of a close personal connection. My maternal family lived through it in the same oblast of Ukraine as the author.
Alice
Valuable as a historical document, not so much as a piece of literature. The author tells instead of showing. As well, I found the language to be clunky, but perhaps that's unfair of me, considering English is probably the author's second/third/etc language.
Dan
An absorbing first person account of Stalin and Lenin's "Terror-Famine" aimed at exterminating their political enemies by starving them to death. A chilling and cautionary tale.
Sue
Interesting but tragic. I am constantly amazed and bewildered by man's inhumanity to man.
Bill
Best book Ive read this year, I cant believe it isnt more widely known.
Nicole
Chilling. Not an easy read, but an important one.
Jack Thomas
This book was like reading a 400 page newspaper article.
Katya Cengel
A story more need to know about so it never happens again.
James
review to come.
Velvetink
Sep 11, 2010 Velvetink marked it as to-read
epub(BookFi.org)
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Orpita Das
Orpita Das marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Smaran Kapoor
Smaran Kapoor marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Erika Johnson
Erika Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
  • The Harvest of Sorrow: Soviet Collectivization and the Terror-Famine
  • Man Is Wolf to Man: Surviving the Gulag
  • The Soviet Experiment: Russia, the USSR, and the Successor States
  • Everyday Stalinism: Ordinary Life in Extraordinary Times: Soviet Russia in the 1930s
  • Fear No Evil
  • Borderland: A Journey Through the History of Ukraine
  • The Forsaken: An American Tragedy in Stalin's Russia
  • Hammer & Tickle: A History Of Communism Told Through Communist Jokes
  • The Road to Terror: Stalin and the Self-Destruction of the Bolsheviks, 1932-1939 (Annals of Communism Series)
  • Within the Whirlwind
  • The Women's Decameron
  • Alexander Dolgun's Story: An American in the Gulag
  • Under a Cruel Star: A Life in Prague, 1941-1968
  • The Boy: A Holocaust Story
Who Killed Them and Why?: In Remembrance of Those Killed in the Famine of 1932-1933 in Ukraine

“At first, Comrade Professor described the injustices that the farmers had suffered at the hands of the rich. The time had come, he said, when the villagers could redress their wrongs. He called on the poor farmers to have no mercy on the karakuls, and, what struck us most, he called on us to destroy them. Killing the rich, he declared, was the only way for poor farmers to attain a better and more prosperous life.” 0 likes
“To break his spirit, the village officials and the collective farm organizers hesitated at nothing The most powerful weapon in their hands was the tax. They levied taxes payable in kind and money. Every time Shost thought he had paid all that was required, more items were taxed, and more of the produce of this hand was taken from him. Finally, the day came when he had no more money or grain.” 0 likes