Start by marking “Execution by Hunger: The Hidden Holocaust” as Want to Read:
Execution by Hunger: The Hidden Holocaust

Execution by Hunger: The Hidden Holocaust

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  222 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
In 1929, in an effort to destroy the well-to-do peasant farmers, Joseph Stalin ordered the collectivization of all Ukrainian farms. In the ensuing years, a brutal Soviet campaign of confiscations, terrorizing, and murder spread throughout Ukrainian villages. What food remained after the seizures was insufficient to support the population. In the resulting famine as many as ...more
Published June 17th 1987 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published September 25th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Execution by Hunger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Execution by Hunger

Meaghan
This book was strangely tragicomic. On the one hand, the descriptions of starvation, abject suffering and the results (suicide, murder and cannibalism all feature within these pages) were physically painful to read. It had a stronger affect on me, in fact, than the books I've read about the Holocaust.

On the other hand, there were times when I felt like laughing because the Soviet officials brought in to maximize productivity on the collective farm knew NOTHING about farming and they were so stup
Elizabeth
Jul 02, 2011 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
It's very hard to imagine people starving from here in suburbia, counting calories and fighting the obesity war. This very personal account of the events in Dolot's village reads like a novel but is a chilling record of the Holodomor or death by starvation of millions of Ukrainians in the 1930s, which was both the results of failed economic policy of the Communists, and a deliberate act of genocide. Tough stuff to read...but essential knowledge.
Anne
Aug 27, 2011 Anne rated it it was amazing
As expected, this book was a hard read. Miron Dolot's memories and thoughts on Ukraine's Holodomor ruminated for 50 years before this book was published. Russian and Ukrainian history is not something that was taught to me in school. I had never heard of the Holodomor until I came to Ukraine as a Peace Corps volunteer. It was every bit as bad as Hitler's Holocaust and every bit as important to study. Dolot does an excellent job of explaining exactly how Stalin was able to execute millions of his ...more
Melody
Sep 29, 2012 Melody rated it it was amazing
There aren't many books available from people who lived through the ukranian famine. As other reviewers have said, this is difficult to read because of its unbelievable horror. I really enjoyed a first person account of this completely under-reported atrocity. Why this isn't more in the forefront of all-time-world-horrors is beyond me.
Jonathan Deaux
Apr 07, 2013 Jonathan Deaux rated it it was amazing
Coming soon to a country near you.
Any one of the 50,000,000+ Americans depending upon the State to feed, clothe and/or shelter them would be wise to revisit the human cost of instituting Marxism.
Sammi
Mar 18, 2013 Sammi rated it it was amazing
Collectivism and communism are EVIL.
Linda Ramsey
Sep 26, 2014 Linda Ramsey rated it really liked it
This is the story of Stalin's forced collectivization of Ukranian farms in the early 1930's, which the author lived through as a teen. Seven million people in the "breadbasket of Europe" were deliberately starved to death at Stalin's command. Made even more interesting considering what Putin is doing in Ukraine now.
"The farmers had often witnessed the collapse of these types of collective farms (voluntary ones), and therefore laughed at the rumors of collectivization. Why would any government wi
Hans Hoffmann
Feb 01, 2016 Hans Hoffmann rated it it was amazing
Probably one of the most horrific books I have ever read. It is amazing this story is not better know. A detailed account of collectivization of farms and the atrocity of hunger
Patrick Peterson
This book provides a first person account of the tragedy of the forced Ukrainian famine of 1929-1933, where about "seven million people in the 'breadbasket of Europe' were deliberately starved to death."

Very gripping.
Incredible detail of how the Soviet system implemented their "voluntary" collectivisation of the Ukrainian farms. The methods described are all the more chilling, when one considers who our own "voluntary" tax system, and voluntary Obamacare system are implemented. The voluntary win
Barbara
Feb 09, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it
Man's inhumanity to man knows no bounds. The paranoia and power-hunger of Stalin's USSR used a systematic approach to annihilating Ukrainian farmers in the early 1930s as the collectivization of the "breadbasket of Europe" failed miserably. Ukrainian farmers were an independent lot, and the Soviets could not tolerate this. Thus the imposed famine that killed 7 million Ukrainian farmers and their families in a matter of two years. A survivor's tale tells all about the death of his village.
Sharon
Feb 22, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Should be required reading for a history lesson in Marxism / Communism / Socialism. It's amazing what one human will do to another when an overreaching government promises goodies in exchange for loyalty to the system, whatever that system is, at the expense of the innocent. Also, a very important lesson in why the 2nd Amendment should never be taken lightly. Why this evil event in history is hardly mentioned is very puzzling!
Chris Elkjar
May 18, 2013 Chris Elkjar rated it really liked it
Great memoir explaining first hand how Stalin's policies directly effected caused the death of millions of Ukrainian farmers between 1930 and 1933.

The author tells his story of surviving as well as dealing with the outrageous demands from the government. Excellent lesson in the outcome of communism and how absolute power corrupts.
Elyse83
Jan 28, 2015 Elyse83 rated it really liked it
To understand why communism does not work in real life, read this true account of forced collectivization and the starvation of the Ukraine in the early 1930s by the Soviet Union's agricultural policies. Be forewarned: graphic descriptions of starvation are in this memoir. A must read for history lovers.
Tcufrog04
Mar 03, 2009 Tcufrog04 rated it really liked it
This book was very powerful in it's descriptions of surviving a famine that is believed to be largely man made. The author's descriptions of his memories were so vivid that at times it made me feel sick to my stomach. This was a great book to inform me of an event that I never even knew took place.
Ekaterina Jaindl
Aug 11, 2013 Ekaterina Jaindl rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank Miron Dolot for his great work of revealing the inconvenient truth that Russia has been trying to hide for many years what the Communism really did for people, even for their own citizens. The Communism is the worst crime committed by humanity since we killed Christ.
Margaret Drake
Jan 17, 2016 Margaret Drake rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Less grim than the previous one I read on Ukraine
Anya
Dec 22, 2014 Anya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story by a survivor of the 1932-1933 Execution by Hunger of at least 7 million Ukrainians by the Soviets was a very painful read for me because of a close personal connection. My maternal family lived through it in the same oblast of Ukraine as the author.
Dan
Mar 25, 2011 Dan rated it it was amazing
An absorbing first person account of Stalin and Lenin's "Terror-Famine" aimed at exterminating their political enemies by starving them to death. A chilling and cautionary tale.
Sue
Sep 02, 2010 Sue rated it really liked it
Interesting but tragic. I am constantly amazed and bewildered by man's inhumanity to man.
Bill
Jun 24, 2013 Bill rated it it was amazing
Best book Ive read this year, I cant believe it isnt more widely known.
Raul
Nov 05, 2014 Raul rated it it was amazing
Genocide by hunger. The Communists, again, on amurder spree.
Fred Rose
Aug 30, 2015 Fred Rose rated it liked it
Given this was written long after the events in the early 1930s, it's hard to believe the detailed recall of conversations but ignoring that, the story is engrossing and at the same level as reading stories of similar famine in Mao's China. Inhumane political maneuvering by crazy dictators. Like the Holocaust, a horror.
Hannah Hocker
Apr 06, 2016 Hannah Hocker rated it it was amazing
This story was so horrific. I cannot imagine the desperation of those people and how horrible it must have been. My heart was heavy as I finished the book...I cannot imagine a fate like this
Heather Angel
May 09, 2012 Heather Angel rated it it was ok
While this is a tragic event in History, I found it a very hard read, mainly because the story is quickly bogged down with names and ranks of anyone and everyone that contributed to it's occurance. The reader must weed the actual 'story' from the endless rhetoric and meetings that offer little insight into the personal struggles of the people living through this ordeal.
I lost interest when I could no longer follow the story for these very reasons and did not finish the book~
James Martin
Mar 22, 2016 James Martin rated it really liked it
T
Sara
Feb 09, 2016 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting history on a subject I never knew about, but was weighted down by too much little detail that left me wondering if Dolot added for effect. I do not doubt his testimony or what happened on large, but he recounts conversations 60+ years after the fact, as well as people's reactions.
Alice
Valuable as a historical document, not so much as a piece of literature. The author tells instead of showing. As well, I found the language to be clunky, but perhaps that's unfair of me, considering English is probably the author's second/third/etc language.
Nicole
Jun 23, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: history-russian
Chilling. Not an easy read, but an important one.
Jack Thomas
Sep 27, 2012 Jack Thomas rated it it was ok
This book was like reading a 400 page newspaper article.
Katya Cengel
Oct 10, 2012 Katya Cengel rated it liked it
A story more need to know about so it never happens again.
  • The Harvest of Sorrow: Soviet Collectivization and the Terror-Famine
  • The Soviet Experiment: Russia, the USSR, and the Successor States
  • Man Is Wolf to Man: Surviving the Gulag
  • Stalin and His Hangmen: The Tyrant and Those Who Killed for Him
  • Russia and the Golden Horde: The Mongol Impact on Medieval Russian History
  • The Road to Terror: Stalin and the Self-Destruction of the Bolsheviks, 1932-1939 (Annals of Communism Series)
  • Everyday Stalinism: Ordinary Life in Extraordinary Times: Soviet Russia in the 1930s
  • Journey into the Whirlwind
  • Alexander Dolgun's Story: An American in the Gulag
  • Hammer & Tickle: A History Of Communism Told Through Communist Jokes
  • Former People: The Final Days of the Russian Aristocracy
  • The Women's Decameron

“At first, Comrade Professor described the injustices that the farmers had suffered at the hands of the rich. The time had come, he said, when the villagers could redress their wrongs. He called on the poor farmers to have no mercy on the karakuls, and, what struck us most, he called on us to destroy them. Killing the rich, he declared, was the only way for poor farmers to attain a better and more prosperous life.” 0 likes
“To break his spirit, the village officials and the collective farm organizers hesitated at nothing The most powerful weapon in their hands was the tax. They levied taxes payable in kind and money. Every time Shost thought he had paid all that was required, more items were taxed, and more of the produce of this hand was taken from him. Finally, the day came when he had no more money or grain.” 0 likes