Start by marking “A Rose for Her Grave and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Rose for Her Grave and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #1)

A Rose for Her Grave and Other True Cases (Crime Files #1)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  2,795 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
Ann Rule's Crime Files books have delivered the very best in true crime reading since A Rose for Her Grave, first in the acclaimed series, made its debut. Distinguished by the former Seattle policewoman's razor-sharp eye for telling detail and her penetrating analysis of the criminal mind, this gripping collection of accounts drawn from her personal files features the twis ...more
Published August 1st 1993 by Pocket Books

Mary JL
Feb 05, 2011 Mary JL rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Patient fans of true crime books
Recommended to Mary JL by: Found at book sale
Shelves: non-fiction
There are stories of six true crimes in this book. The book spends 341 pages on one specific case--the Randy Roth murder trial. The other five case get 200 pages--about forty pages each.

Frankly, the smaller cases were a bit more interesting, because Ms. Rule basically gave a summary of each case, hitting the high points.

For the longest case, the story was written in extensive detail. For example, whenever she tells about the family's moving, she gives the complete street address. Yes, a police r
Melissa
Jul 03, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: true crime fans only
Stories are well told. Scarey. I have read a few of Ann Rules books and they are so well written, but I find it hard to relax and feel safe after I read her books. Hard to swallow that these are real stories that really happened, and to see the victims pictures in the book, knowing in vivid detail what happened to them. So sad....
Faintly Macabre
Oct 01, 2008 Faintly Macabre rated it liked it
Ann Rule does a good job of pulling the reader into her version of crime drama. Basing much of her facts on "court transcripts", she's made an art of supposition. ;)
Dana Haro
Nov 23, 2016 Dana Haro rated it liked it
It was a good book but very long and drawn out. At least the main story was. The last few stories weren't long and they held my interest.
Kristy Christensen
Oct 13, 2016 Kristy Christensen rated it liked it
I should get like 5 books credit for reading this. While interesting, it is like a movie with previews although the previews come after. The main story, although good was not as intriguing as some of the others although it had the most details.
David
Feb 17, 2015 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rule screwed up with this one. Oh, it is still a very, interesting book, but the EXTRA true cases in the back of the book are covered in such rapidfire manner that they read like magazine articles edited for space.

What this means is that this is a very uneven book... Rule describes a man who PROBABLY killed one of his wives and collected insurance money for her death. Attempted to kill a live in girlfriend, who left him, uncertain that she could ever prove the attempt, moved in with a woman who
Dan
Jul 08, 2015 Dan rated it it was amazing
I had just finished with "The Innocent Man," googled around and discovered Ann Rule. As a victim of a violent crime not prosecuted by the DA due to political affiliations, I became interested in victim's rights, prosecutorial discretion and selective enforcement. Recently a friend in a similar line of work, photojournalism, was the victim of a similar violent assault. The crime was so heinous that this time the DA can not ignore it.

I went to a courtroom to support my friend and had a deep fascin
Dan
Jul 10, 2015 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Small stories a little thin, main course excellent.

I had just finished with The Innocent Man, googled around and discovered Ann Rule. As a victim of a violent crime not prosecuted by the DA due to political affiliations, I became interested in victim's rights, prosecutorial discretion and selective enforcement. Recently a friend in a similar line of work, photojournalism, was the victim of a similar violent assault. The crime was so heinous that this time the DA can not ignore it.

This brought to
Jessica
Jan 17, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A book like this should get 0 stars. Not for the writing style, but for the stories… Because it is hard to "like" a book like this when you are reading real stories of terrible things that happened to real people. At the end of this book, one is left with a realization of full lives cut short, of good people caught in bad situations, and of people who were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. For a time you look into their lives as they had lived them, and feel sadness as their tragedies ...more
Priscilla
Ann Rule's writing, in a repetitive will-you-just-buy-a-damn-thesaurus nutshell: the word "house" used 16 times over 40 lines of text (equal to 19 sentences). That's "house" appearing in exactly 40% of all lines in that short section, or 84.21% of all sentences.

(Note: the word "home" appears once, here; no other synonym for either word raises its head over the duration of these lines. Also note that I kick myself for spending my professional life teaching others how to closely read and discuss
Michaela
Sep 28, 2012 Michaela rated it it was amazing
A Rose For Her Grave is a collection of six true stories of terror.
The title story is a chilling account of Randy Roth, a cold, calculating man who married and murdered for money. It could serve as a warning for suspicious wives everywhere.

Campbell's Revenge is the genuinely scary story of a man with a long and unforgiving memory and a merciless heart.

The Hit Person: Equal Opportunity Murder is a bizarre account of the execution of one woman by another.

The Runaway tells of a teenage girl who goe
Aug 20, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Not CSI; there are no magical computers that can enlarge a picture so the reflection of the killer in the victim's eye can be clearly seen or that a picture of the killer's car taken from its side can be turned to show the full license plate clearly. In fact, in this book DNA matches aren't even a factor. If that's the kind of crime solving you are looking for you may be dissatisfied. This tells the tales of actual crimes. I appreciated that the book wasn't gory. Considering I've read fictional ...more
Catherine Leggitt
Feb 28, 2014 Catherine Leggitt rated it liked it
Must start with a disclaimer. I am not an Ann Rule fan. A Rose for Her Grave seemed more like a case report than good hard-boiled fiction. This story recreates the cautionary tale of Randy Roth, a misogynistic sociopath from the Pacific Northwest whose rage was directed primarily at women and children. Addicted to his own greed, Roth exercised a powerful aura of control over his victims, using his ability to charm and his boyish good looks to lower their defenses.

This is a twisted story of man's
Angela
This book had potential, but it was too outdated for me to find interesting enough to read. I made it through a good portion but, to be honest, it was boring. It was so obvious what was coming (being that this is a true crime story). It read more like a screen play for a murder mystery television show than a genuine account. It just seemed lacking in so many ways, I couldn't bear to read through the whole thing. Other than that, I do like how Ann Rule writes so concisely. It fits in with the ...more
♥ Marlene♥
Aug 09, 2014 ♥ Marlene♥ rated it really liked it
Looking on bookcrossing shelf I see I did write a little bit about this book.....................

------------------------------------------------------------------

on Friday, January 23, 2004

8 out of 10
I have decided to share more of my books. its a process ,it is hard to say goodbye to your books, but i am trying ;-)

This was a great read.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
(I said it was short)
The first story is apparently about Randy Roth. So might re read.
Jami
Jul 29, 2014 Jami rated it really liked it
This book enthralled me. I have read some true crime before. The first case the one that takes up most of the book was about Randy Roth. It was very detailed. The other five cases were touched on briefly. They came in at approximately 40 pages each. I wish each had their own book. It just touches on the surface of the case. Although touching on the pertinent details. Would recommend to those who like true crime. Keep in mind that the crimes do take place before the modern technology of DNA ...more
Jessica
Oct 18, 2016 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: true-crime
I personally love true crime books, (highly recommend the TV show Criminal Minds if you're into this kind of thing), and I absolutely love how she weaves in a lot of commentary from the individuals who knew the victims, which keeps this real, and lets you get to know the victims. In my opinion, way to many people focus on the killers themselves, but she never mentioned any "nicknames" outside of classifying just what types of killers they were. This was instead about the victims' lives were cut ...more
Scott
Sep 29, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! This is a group of true crime stories from Ann Rule, who writes very much like the brilliant Joseph Wambaugh - though with less sarcasm. The first case about a real-life Bluebeard takes up about 340 pages of the book whereas the rest of the book is divided into cases about 30 to 40 pages in length. It's compelling and written like a great thriller all the way through, I really enjoyed it.
Timarley A.
Anne Rule is one of my favorite "True Crime" stories writers, I've even seen her commentaries on some of the cases that she wrote about. She never fails to disappoint, as she exposes the hard-to-swallow (and ageless) topic of true crime A rose for her grave (and other true cases)was another good read for me because I got to read many other stories piled into one book. Anne Rule, made me want to get in there and solve cases with the police. Awesome!
CJ Hines
Jul 28, 2013 CJ Hines rated it liked it
Ann Rule wrote about Ted Bundy and the Green River killer; she writes true crime but it reads like fiction-enthralling and creepy at the same time. The first story in this book is about Randy Roth, who marries women for their insurance money, then they die 'accidentally' and he collects. He always scopes out women with little kids so when the women die, he can collect Social Security for the kids, which he claims are his.
Maureen
Jul 19, 2012 Maureen rated it really liked it
If you like true crime stories and you haven't yet read any Ann Rule - start now! The author is a retired policewoman and she has written many many books - all true crime stories. This book has several stories in it and she as always does a great job of bringing to life the characters and relationships that precede the crime.
Kim
Jul 19, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
I just finished reading this book and again have been deeply disturbed by how some people view the treasure of life, and how some, are able to get away with what they have done for a long time. I enjoy the Crime Files by Ann Rule. She has a way of evaluating a criminal case and the past like non other.
J.D. Holman
Aug 23, 2014 J.D. Holman rated it liked it
This is the first in the Crime Files series. It's in a different format than other true crime I've read - one long story, and several short ones. Surprisingly, this actually worked, for the most part. I would have liked to have known more about the cases in the shorter parts, but they were "just the facts, ma'am." I would read more in this series.
Mrinal Somani
Aug 07, 2013 Mrinal Somani rated it really liked it
Just awesome! The pace and the depth of the analysis (not just Crime Scene Investigation, but the psycho analysis of the characters themselves) make this a treat read. Must recommended for crime stories. To top it all, based on true accounts of serial murders by the author who has served as a cop herself. She is my new favorite.
Kendra
Dec 31, 2011 Kendra rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
I enjoyed this book, though I might have enjoyed it more if the first case (which took up most of the book anyway) was a book by itself and the other cases were left out. After having such detail in the first case, the absence of such detail in the later cases that were only 40 or so pages long was a little disconcerting. However, if you enjoy true crime this one is worth the read.
Jun 11, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy crime mysteries, and this book was no different. However, due to the way it was written, full of facts and dates, you couldn't help but be reminded that this was a TRUE story. It was fascinating, yet disturbing at the same time. It was hard not to feel sympathy for the victim and families in the book.
Molly James
Oct 27, 2015 Molly James rated it really liked it
I love all of Ann Rule ' s books. I am not a fan of the true crime files ( short stories) but the story of Randy Roth in this book is pretty extensive. One of my favorite things about Ann Rule books is the incredible amount of detail and character development.
Kelly
Dec 16, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: already-read
Always love Ann Rule books. To think that there are sick people like the first story about Randy Roth which is the main story in this book. The other stories are rather short but Ann has a way of explaining everything about the case in a short version.
Antionette
Jul 30, 2013 Antionette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
3.5 Stars. I agree with the other reviewers, some of the other stories could have been elaborated on. Although, I understand why Randy Roth's story was longer. His story spanned over many years and included other tie-in crimes.
Becky Galambos
Sep 02, 2015 Becky Galambos rated it really liked it
Found this very early Ann Rule book at the used bookstore. The writing that would later become her hallmark is evident but not as fully developed as the later books. Several cases I was not familiar with.
  • From Cradle to Grave: The Short Lives and Strange Deaths of Marybeth Tinning's Nine Children
  • Whatever Mother Says...: A True Story of a Mother, Madness and Murder
  • Hush Little Babies: the true story of a mother who murdered her own children
  • Abandoned Prayers: The Incredible True Story of Murder, Obsession and Amish Secrets
  • Little Lost Angel
  • The Riverman: Ted Bundy and I Hunt for the Green River Killer
  • She Wanted It All
  • Before He Wakes: A True Story of Money, Marriage, Sex and Murder
  • The Darkest Night: The Murder of Innocence in a Small Town
  • Bad Boy: The True Story of Kenneth Allen McDuff, the Most Notorious Serial Killer in Texas History
  • When the Ghost Screams: True Stories of Victims Who Haunt
  • Because You Loved Me
  • Till Death Us Do Part: A True Murder Mystery
  • Predator
  • A Death in White Bear Lake: The True Chronicle of an All-American Town
  • Deranged: The Shocking True Story of America's Most Fiendish Killer
  • A Beautiful Child
  • Baby Be Mine
Ann Rule was a popular American true crime writer. Raised in a law enforcement and criminal justice system environment, she grew up wanting to work in law enforcement herself. She was a former Seattle Policewoman and was well educated in psychology and criminology.

She came to prominence with her first book, The Stranger Beside Me, about the Ted Bundy murders. At the time she started researching th
More about Ann Rule...

Crime Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • You Belong to Me and Other True Crime Cases (Crime Files, # 2)
  • A Fever in the Heart and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #3)
  • In the Name of Love and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #4)
  • The End of the Dream: The Golden Boy Who Never Grew Up (Crime Files, #5)
  • A Rage to Kill and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #6)
  • Empty Promises and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #7)
  • Last Dance, Last Chance and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #8)
  • Kiss Me, Kill Me and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #9)
  • Worth More Dead and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #10)
  • No Regrets and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #11)