Start by marking “A Fever in the Heart and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Fever in the Heart and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #3)

A Fever in the Heart and Other True Cases (Crime Files #3)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  2,077 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Ann Rule's "great knack for horrific detail" (New York "Daily News" ) was briliantly displayed in "A Rose for Her Grave" and "You Belong to Me," the first two volumes of her Crime File series. Now, in "A Fever in the Heart, " she dissects a fascinating case centered around an alluring young wife and the two men desperate for her love...an explosive triangle of thwarted des ...more
Published October 1st 1996 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about A Fever in the Heart and Other True Cases, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fever in the Heart and Other True Cases

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee BenderTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Cupcake Queen by Heather HeplerMake Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff
Food on the Cover
84th out of 729 books — 361 voters
In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteHelter Skelter by Vincent BugliosiThe Stranger Beside Me by Ann RuleThe Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonTrue Hollywood Noir by Dina Di Mambro
True Crime
95th out of 431 books — 543 voters

More lists with this book...

Lorie Layne
Sep 16, 2012 Lorie Layne rated it really liked it
Very interesting to me because I lived in the same town and the coach' wife was my PE teacher. I attended the school where he taught and they all seemed so normal.
Adrian Alexander
Oct 07, 2011 Adrian Alexander rated it really liked it
awesome read! i mean im sort of morbid i guess since i like to read true crime, but only because there is resolve and this book has several stories all with resolve (not justification mind you). there are 6 stories and ann rule does an excellent job of taking you to the times and places.
Anne Hawn Smith
Ann Rule's books are always good and this was no exception. This is a series of stories loosely grouped around themes. The first story about Morris Blankenbaker is the saddest. A fine young man was killed and so many lives torn apart because of the basest kind of betrayal. All the people involved seem to have led charmed lives and yet that wasn't enough for two of them. When I read about something like this, I remember some of my earlier training in a small Catholic school. The nuns tried to ins ...more
Michaela
Jun 24, 2012 Michaela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As per usual, Ann Rule produced an engrossing and memorable read when she wrote A Fever in the Heart.
The title story, and the longest, concerns a group of beautiful, talented people whose lives took a dark turn that resulted in murder. It's about the dangers of obsessive love and a mystery that took a lot of twists and turns before it was finally solved.
It's a tragedy really and brought tears to my eyes. It was also infuriating to read about the lies some people will tell to save their own neck.
Lisa
Jan 25, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
I enjoy Ann Rule's true-crime books and this one, "A Fever In The Heart", is number 3 in her "Crime Files" series. This series consists of one full-length crime in the book, approximately 250 pages or so, and several smaller crime stories averaging around 20 pages each.

The primary crime in this book took place in Yakima, Washington back in 1975. As I live only two hours away from there and have family members who currently live in Yakima I am familiar with the streets and landmarks described in
With Butterflies
I used to read some of Ann Rule's books and enjoyed them as I enjoy true crime stuff as a guilty pleasure.

This book was a bit of an ordeal to get through because of the first story. It is wayyyyyy too long and meandering. Rule seems to get bogged down in too many details many of which are repeated over and over.

The other stories are well told and interesting. Too bad for the first one, or I'd have rated the book higher.
Doris Jean
Apr 17, 2015 Doris Jean rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all who like true crime, or who study human character
I really like Ann Rule. Her stories are real and truth is stranger than fiction. She is a clear and accurate writer and sticks to the truth. I do like her longer books rather than the collections of short recountings. This book had a long story at the beginning and several short stories at the end.

It is always incomprehensible to me how murderers behave. So it is intriguing and mysterious to try to guess why they acted they way they did. Trying to follow the warpings of their minds is an unsolva
Laura Leilani
Sep 02, 2016 Laura Leilani rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
All the cases in this book are from the 1970's. This may put modern readers off. The cases themselves are good though. My favorite was a sexual predator that preyed on grown men! Straight men! You don't hear about those very often at all. This book did focus a bit, just a bit mind, more on the judicial system and the trials. For instance how do you prosecute someone for murder if there is no body? Sure there is blood all over his truck and his clothes and his gun, but whose blood? His coworker i ...more
Becky
Mar 19, 2013 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-life-crime
I thought I had read all of Ann Rule's book but somehow I missed this one. Came across it on Kindle and as with all her books had to read it! Great detail, almost too much because it leaves one jumping at strange noises, looking more warily at strangers (and people you think you know well) and just being creeped out at how horrid some people can be. Not sure how Ms Rule can immerse herself into researching and writing about these cases but am sure glad she does! I suspect she just likes trying t ...more
Kate S
Mar 31, 2015 Kate S rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2015
I did not like the first story. I felt it was 200 pages of repetitive drivel. The other stories in this book were an interesting collection of crime fighting in the 1970s in the Pacific Northwest. How times have changed!
Kristi Bumpus
Feb 26, 2014 Kristi Bumpus rated it liked it
I hadn't read Ann Rule in awhile and had forgotten how dry her writing can sometimes be. Interesting factual accounts, through the occasional oddly opinionated statement is thrown in here and there. Lots of repetition in the first story.
Sae-chan
Jul 17, 2014 Sae-chan rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I am very interested to know how a good sportsman spin out of control and became such a sore loser. Too bad it wasn't much discussed here.
Karen
Dec 20, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her books are always interesting because they become a character study of real people and why they do the things they do.
Mylinda
Mar 03, 2014 Mylinda rated it liked it
The first story was too long and repetitive. The later short stories were interesting.
Peg
Apr 27, 2013 Peg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
I have to give it three stars because I did finish it but this was definitely not one of Ann Rule's best. I thought it was her newest book out but it was actually written more than ten years ago. She should have kept it a short story. It was an interesting and very convoluted story, very strange, but she told it four or five times. And with a name like Morris Blankenbaker, why couldn't she have just used Morris instead of the full name every time. She must have gotten ten pages out of Blankenbak ...more
John Magee
May 31, 2015 John Magee rated it really liked it
True crime with Ann Rule is always fun
Jolene Knighton
Aug 24, 2015 Jolene Knighton rated it liked it
Good, but not great.
Charlene Gordon
Aug 14, 2014 Charlene Gordon rated it it was amazing
Good book, read this in1997.
Sandy James
Jul 06, 2014 Sandy James rated it really liked it
Good story. Just such a tragedy...
Bunny
Oct 23, 2008 Bunny rated it it was amazing
I thought I'd read all of Ann Rule's Crime File books, but I missed this one. Picked it up at a library sale, and read it while laid up after surgery.

The main story is so disturbing, and so heartbreaking. Some of the mini-stories that follow are beyond disturbing, something straight out of a horror movie. I may have nightmares. I read enough true crime to realize there are horrifying things in the world, but two of these stories really did take the cake. Ye gods.

I love the way this woman writes.
Eva
Oct 30, 2012 Eva rated it really liked it
A very detailed account of a true story about two murders that occurred in the U.S. in the 70's, where both murder victims were married to the same woman. The suspense was high and throughout the novel, particularly from the mid-point to the end. At times, especially at the beginning, the story was stretched out a little too far for my liking, however with the immense amount of detail provided you a better feel for the characters and town.
Ruth
Aug 24, 2013 Ruth rated it really liked it
There's a sort of harsh beauty to Rule's clear prose as she details horrific tales of these psychotic killings. She knows just when to drop the details to keep the reader on the line all the way through the conclusion of each investigation.

The main case "Fever in the Heart" is almost unbelievably bizarre and quite interesting, but it was the shorter cases at the end that had me well and truly gripped. What horrors!
Sahar
Jul 07, 2008 Sahar rated it liked it
Well.... the main story was interesting and well developed. However, I did not like the other short stories at the end of the book such as "Mirror Images" and "Black Leather". I believe that each of those stories could have been turned into a 300 page book and Ms. Rule did not serve them justice.With all this said, it was an interesting book which I would recommend, just not the best I have read.
Carla JFCL
Feb 16, 2011 Carla JFCL rated it it was amazing
This is my very favorite book by Ann Rule (although, believe it or not, I have still never read her book about Ted Bundy ... but I'm going to add that to my "to-read" list right now!) Anyway, I just find this book compelling; something about the setting, the time period, the players; I just really liked this one, and have actually read it three times ...
kylajaclyn
Jun 23, 2016 kylajaclyn rated it it was ok
I've thrown out a lot of two star ratings lately, but this was definitely not Ann Rule's most intriguing book. The book-length story should have been considerably shorter... A lot was rehashed over and over that didn't need to be. I usually cannot put an Ann Rule book down, but this one was a miss for me.
Booksdingle
Feb 17, 2011 Booksdingle rated it liked it
it was an alright read but didn't enjoy it as much as 'stranger beside me' - I liked the fact the author had personal connection to the latter. The short cases at the end were interesting, think I would prefer that format than the long drawn out first case.
Gena Koehler
Jan 04, 2014 Gena Koehler rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
This must be the 10th Ann Rule book I've read, and quite possibly the best written.
Lori Lentini
Nov 18, 2015 Lori Lentini rated it liked it
good as always. creepy. a lot of crazies around.
Jeannette
Sep 05, 2013 Jeannette rated it it was ok
Ann Rule states she had a hard time writing this book and I had a hard time reading it.

It was slow moving and seemed to take forever to read.

I did enjoy the shorter cases at the end of the book though.
Tiago
Feb 21, 2016 Tiago rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Consisting of many cases, one long and detailed and the others succinct, the great interest in the book lies more in their short histories than actually on the long that gives the book its name.
  • Cold Storage
  • The Riverman: Ted Bundy and I Hunt for the Green River Killer
  • Till Death Us Do Part: A True Murder Mystery
  • Evil Eyes
  • From Cradle to Grave: The Short Lives and Strange Deaths of Marybeth Tinning's Nine Children
  • The Stranger In My Bed
  • Erased: Missing Women, Murdered Wives
  • The Darkest Night: The Murder of Innocence in a Small Town
  • Blood Lust: Portrait of a Serial Sex Killer
  • Lethal Marriage: The Unspeakable Crimes of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka
  • Bad Boy: The True Story of Kenneth Allen McDuff, the Most Notorious Serial Killer in Texas History
  • By Their Father's Hand: The True Story of the Wesson Family Massacre
  • Obsession
Ann Rule was a popular American true crime writer. Raised in a law enforcement and criminal justice system environment, she grew up wanting to work in law enforcement herself. She was a former Seattle Policewoman and was well educated in psychology and criminology.

She came to prominence with her first book, The Stranger Beside Me, about the Ted Bundy murders. At the time she started researching th
More about Ann Rule...

Crime Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • A Rose for Her Grave and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #1)
  • You Belong to Me and Other True Crime Cases (Crime Files, # 2)
  • In the Name of Love and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #4)
  • The End of the Dream: The Golden Boy Who Never Grew Up (Crime Files, #5)
  • A Rage to Kill and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #6)
  • Empty Promises and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #7)
  • Last Dance, Last Chance and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #8)
  • Kiss Me, Kill Me and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #9)
  • Worth More Dead and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #10)
  • No Regrets and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #11)