Start by marking “Doonesbury: The Long Road Home” as Want to Read:
Doonesbury: The Long Road Home

Doonesbury: The Long Road Home

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  14 reviews
On a road outside Fallujah, an RPG blows apart a Humvee and upends the life of a former football star. As a medevac chopper swoops down, the wounded Guardsman hears "Not your time, bro. Not today," and his remarkable healing journey begins.

Thousands of U.S. soldiers have suffered grievous wounds in Iraq, but only one of them is a Doonesbury character. The Long Road Home: O
Published June 1st 2005 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published December 31st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Doonesbury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doonesbury

Pat
Nov 02, 2013 Pat rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I was a fan of Doonesbury back when the series first began and through the 70's and some of the 80's. Somehow over the years I have lost track but once in awhile I would read a strip or two in the newspaper. I heard good reviews of this trilogy about returning troops and thought this was a great place to start to re-acquaint myself with this series. I was not disappointed and look forward to reading more. A graceful way to bring into focus a difficult and tragic topic.
Lorelei
First Doonesbury book that's made me laugh out loud in a long time. Wonderful, silly, honest, not entirely clueless (as a disabled person, I get to say that). It didn't seem offensive to anyone - which has been a problem with Doonesbury strips time and again.

***

Just read it again. I laughed, I cried. G.B. Trudeau at his very best. Wish there were more like this.
Julia
These are the strips about B.D. having his leg blown off in Iraq, his recovery and re-integration. I really miss Garry Trudeau’s characters. I need to spend more time with them.
Jenn
Our nations leaders often avoid talking about the human cost of war. G.B. Trudeau tackles this issue head on, providing an intimate look at the painful and difficult recovery of wounded war veterans with a rare, witty, biting humor.

The author introduces D.B., an ordinary soldier who gets wounded in the line of duty, and uses this fictional character to show the entire journey- from breaking the news of your injury to your family to needing to rearrange the house to make it easier for a disabled
Clark Hallman
Doonesbury: The Long Road Home: One Step at a Time by G.B. Trudeau is a graphic novel that illuminates the ongoing suffering of wounded warriors and their families. B.D. loses his left leg to an RPG explosion on a road near Fallujah, Iraq. The reader experiences his battle-field trauma immediately after the explosion, then his evacuation and surgeries at Landstuhl Medical Center in Germany, and then more treatment at Walter Reed Medical Center near Washington DC. Trudeau provides a gripping stor ...more
Adam
Garry Trudeau's "Doonesbury" strip is among the most prolific and engaging comics in American history. Anything that has run as long as this feature is bound to blow hot and cold at different times. To this reality, Trudeau wisely released two volumes central to the hell of war and the pain of recovery as seen through the experiences of his original character B.D. ("The Long Road Home" and "The War Within".) These collections run the gauntlet from injury to the first steps of rehabilitation with ...more
Michael Watkins
Thanks for your sacrifice

We forget the destruction of lives that war leaves in it's wake. Leave it to Gary Trudeau to remind us of the difficulties faced by our war wounded. Thank you very much.
Andrew Kubasek
Honestly, I was really disappointed in this book. I expected a much harsher, more biting critique of the war in Iraq from the man who brought us the dramatic political exposé "Tanner '88." It simply seemed to be a light gloss of what a veteran amputee might go through, rather than an in-depth story. Very bummed. Still, the artwork is always unique and there were a few short spots with some dark, harsh humor.
Ted Mallory
Pretty profound for a cartoon. With the economy, the switch from Iraq to Afghanistan and now the stem cell issue heating up- I hope that we don't forget or neglect our vets. If you buy this book the proceeds go to the Fischer House, a place for veterans and their families next to VA hospitals.
Sheila
A wonderful inspiring story of the rebuilding of one's life after being severely injured in Iraq. A homage to these brave men and women who sacrifice so much for the American people.
MB
Having been a Trudeau fan for a loooong time, I really appreciated the way he handles the war and veterans. Particularly in this book.

Reread for a class assignment.
Angel
I borrowed this from the UHD Library.

See my note on the book:

[http://gypsylibrarian.blogspot.com/20...]
Taron
i think it was an inspiring
Kim
Jacob
Jacob added it
Nov 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Garretson Beekman "Garry" Trudeau is an American cartoonist, best known for the Doonesbury comic strip. In 1970, Trudeau's creation of Doonesbury was syndicated by the newly formed Universal Press Syndicate. Today Doonesbury is syndicated to almost 1,400 newspapers worldwide and is accessible online in association with Slate Magazine at doonesbury.com. In 1975, he became the first comic strip arti ...more
More about G.B. Trudeau...
Doonesbury's Greatest Hits The Doonesbury Chronicles Doonesbury Dossier: The Reagan Years 40: A Doonesbury Retrospective The People's Doonesbury: Notes from Underfoot, 1978-1980