Start by marking “The Long Road Home (A Place Called Home, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Long Road Home (A Place Called Home, #3)

The Long Road Home (A Place Called Home #3)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  1,871 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
"She can't be dead!" the young pastor cried as he looked down at the still, white face of his new bride. Blinded by bitterness, Paul Cameron leaves his church and flees to a logging camp deep in the north woods of Wisconsin. There he wrestles with his loss-unable to get Corrine out of his mind and unwilling to make peace with God. When a falling tree crushes his legs, Paul ...more
Published January 1st 2005 by Harvest House Publishers (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Long Road Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long Road Home

Chrystal
Sep 19, 2010 Chrystal rated it liked it
Like other Lori Wick novels, 'The Long Road Home' is a sweet story of loss, pain, love, family, faith, hope, and personal struggle. At first I felt the book was almost too 'sweet' to relate to; but I think that is because I've read some heavy or intense books lately and this was such a contrast. I understand what grief is like and I felt the author barely hinted at the reality of emotions of grief; but perhaps to enjoy the story, keeping that in the background is safer.

I liked the characters' p
Betsy
Jan 25, 2009 Betsy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
An old favorite.
Julie Graves
May 11, 2015 Julie Graves rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, 2015-reads
Paul Cameron is excited to start preaching in his new church home. He’s also excited to find a woman to share in his calling. Corinne is everything he ever wanted in a woman and she will make an exceptional pastor’s wife. Even though Corinne is sickly Paul feels that the Lord will grant healing for her and they can serve Him together for the rest of their lives. When that doesn’t happen Paul is heart-broken and angry and decides to walk away from his God.

Abby’s husband Ian has just been killed.
Karen & Gerard
Mar 26, 2008 Karen & Gerard rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of Christian fiction
Recommended to Karen & Gerard by: Amazon
This Christian fiction book is a quick read and yet has some depth to it. It's the third of the "Place Called Home" series and I think the best. It gives insight into feelings when one loses a spouse and shows two opposite ways of handling it.

Paul Cameron was a Pastor who got angry at God for letting his spouse die so left the ministry. On the other hand, Abby, a pastor's wife, accepted her spouse's death as God's will and relied on Him for strength and comfort. Although predictably, Paul and A
Cheryl
Jun 16, 2016 Cheryl rated it did not like it
Worst one of the series so far. The characters ( especially Paul) are completely unrealistic. Why would Paul, fresh out of seminary and having experience with losing a loved one react so terribly to losing a wife that he barely knew and who was gravely ill. I don't buy it. He certainly moved on very quickly once he laid eyes on Abby who somehow fell in love with him despite his verbal and physical abuse. Blech...

Apparently Lori Wick believes in once saved always saved and that there is only one
Kathryn
Oct 13, 2014 Kathryn rated it really liked it
What a delightful read! It had a steady pace with intriguing characters and plot.
Paul and Abby both lost their spouses early in their marriages, but one turned to be comforted by God's promises and the others blamed God. Abby is brought to help nurse paul back to health after a logging accident that broke both legs. Through his recovery is isn't the best patient or person for that matter, but slowly Abby's care breaks down his wall of hurt and he asks for forgiveness for turning away from God.
Hannah
I enjoy books by Lori Wick and this one was no exception. It is a little darker than some of her other books, but the women are always in danger and need rescuing by men. That is one thing I don't enjoy. I want a strong female that doesn't need to be saved by a man. Otherwise than that, I liked the book well enough. It is a Christian novel, so prepare yourself for some Bible verses. This book shoves God down your throat less than Wick's other novels. I will be finishing the series and they are v ...more
Allan67
Here is my standard blurb for a book that I've read to my wife: Another book that I read to Diana. We can't do much anymore after her stroke, so I read to her to spend time together. Diana has always loved to have someone to read to her - and I like to do just that.

We saw the outcome coming very early in the book, we only had to finish the book in order to determine how it would happen. Not a bad book, not a great one either. When asked "how many stars", Diana held up three fingers. It was ente
Crystal
Mar 15, 2016 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bravo Bravo Bravo! these were my thoughts as I turned the last page of this book. Tragedy strikes the Cameron family leaving it's youngest sibling Paul to deal with the aftermath of his loss. Overcome by grief, he runs from his congregation and from God setting him on a journey of bitterness and resentment toward God. when young nurse Abby comes to his care after suffering her own loss, Paul takes his pain out on her. Will they be able to come to terms with their losses and move forward. it trul ...more
Judine
Jul 17, 2008 Judine rated it liked it
While it's Lori Wick's classic style, I can't agree with the premise of how quickly it all happens. I think it would have been better as two books -- one where Paul and Abby meet and come to terms with their respective losses, and one where they fall in love and marry. Having them remarry within a year of the tragic deaths of their spouses felt REALLY forced.
Jaclynn
Mar 08, 2008 Jaclynn rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008
The last in a 3 part series. Silas is a man of God and soon marries a young lady, they both desire to serve Him together but an unexpected turn of events quickly changes that leaving Silas bitter and broken and wanting nothing to do with his Christian family who only wants to help him. Could the answer be a young dedicated nurse who is also going through some struggles of her own?
Kelly/shawn
Jun 22, 2007 Kelly/shawn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone looking for an easy read
This series is good... intriguing enough to keep me reading. But it lacks something.. I am not sure what- it doesn't grip me until the very end. It is just an easy enjoyable read that is at times thought provoking.
Margaret Chind
Oct 19, 2007 Margaret Chind rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: christian women
Once again Lori Wick is able to tell the same thing in a completely different story. Love, Loss, Death, Love, Loss, Death, Love, Loss, Forgiveness, God, Love, Marriage, Future. It's all there once again. Amazing salvation stories and all. Lori Wick - my antidepressant.
Teresa Snyder
Aug 07, 2012 Teresa Snyder rated it really liked it
Another good Lori Wick book. This one was better than boom two. I disagree with some of the reviews I've read saying it was to sweet. There was death, anger, a kidnaping, etc. not sure how you would call it too sweet. Moving on to the forth and final book in the series.
Becky
Jul 28, 2009 Becky rated it liked it
This was not my favorite of this series. I agree with the review that said that they should have made 2 books out of it.
Joanne Compton
Aug 22, 2015 Joanne Compton rated it really liked it
It's been quite a while since I read this book but I do remember I enjoyed this book and the whole series. I guess the fact there is a nurse as a main character pulls at my heart strings!
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Love and loss change people. Paul Cameron never thought his life could change so rapidly.

Time Period: 1889
Location: Wisconsin, United States

Reviewed from a personal copy.
Carly De
Carly De rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2013
Vilia
Vilia rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2010
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2013
Laura rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2014
Dana
Dana rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2013
Judy Lyn
Judy Lyn rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2014
Lydia
Lydia rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2015
Crynn
Crynn rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2013
Kit
Kit rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2010
Julie Scoggins
Julie Scoggins rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2012
Kristi
Kristi rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2013
Tina Dee
Tina Dee rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2014
Amy Knighton
Amy Knighton rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2015
  • June (Brides of the West, #2)
  • A Hope Beyond (Ribbons of Steel, #2)
  • Drums of Change: The Story of Running Fawn
  • Shadows of the Canyon (Desert Roses, #1)
  • Sweet Violet (English Ivy, #3)
  • Honor's Reward (Rocky Mountain Legacy, #5)
FROM THE PUBLISHER:
Lori Wick is known as one of the most versatile Christian fiction writers on the market today. From pioneer fiction to a series set in Victorian England to a contemporary novel, Lori's books (over 5 million in print) continue to delight readers and top the Christian bestselling fiction list. Lori and her husband, Bob, live in Wisconsin with "the three coolest kids in the world."
More about Lori Wick...

A Place Called Home (4 books)
  • A Place Called Home (A Place Called Home, #1)
  • A Song for Silas (A Place Called Home, #2)
  • A Gathering of Memories (A Place Called Home, #4)