Start by marking “Intensive Care: The Story of a Nurse” as Want to Read:
Intensive Care: The Story of a Nurse

Intensive Care: The Story of a Nurse

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  787 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
This is a nurse's story unlike any other, because Echo Heron is a very special nurse. Dedicated to healing and helping in the harshest environments, she spent ten years in emergency rooms and intensive care units. Her story is unique, penetrating, and unforgettable. Her story is real.
"Compelling reading."
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published May 12th 1988 by Ivy Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Intensive Care, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Intensive Care

Stiff by Mary RoachThe Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca SklootThe Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales by Oliver SacksOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken KeseyThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Medicine and Literature
200th out of 1,137 books — 1,434 voters
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken KeseyThe English Patient by Michael OndaatjeAtonement by Ian McEwanThe World According to Garp by John IrvingA Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
Nurses
11th out of 171 books — 52 voters

More lists with this book...

Ruth Neese
Mar 28, 2008 Ruth Neese rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Practicing nurses and nursing students
Shelves: nursing
Echo Heron was fired for writing this book. She wrote it when the last nursing shortage was ending and capitated reimbursement was forced on hospitals. That was a VERY stressful time to be a nurse, and some hospital administrations behaved badly toward nurses. Unfortunately, what Heron describes has not vanished completely from health care.
Deena Scintilla
I read this a long time ago and, wow, was it ever deja vu! At times I felt Echo had been peeking thru my windows or following me as I went from nursing job to nursing job trying to get away from the sam ol', same ol' BS found in the bureaucratic hospital and medical systems. Unfortunately according to friends and my experiences, it all still reads too true and validates why I choose not to put up with it anymore.

I loved this book for its honesty, humor, pathos and became friends with the author
Malot
Sep 17, 2011 Malot rated it it was amazing
As I am a professional nurse like the author, I can relate to her anecdotes especially her service in the ICU. Ms.Heron has the wit and humor in her writing, in her book I found the courage to assert myself in my patient's behalf. In this book I have realized the real role of a nurse of being a patient's advocate.
Tasha
Mar 18, 2010 Tasha rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I read by Echo Heron and it inspired me to persue my dream of becomming a nurse.
Danielle
Aug 10, 2014 Danielle rated it liked it
So there were several WTF moments for me in this book:

1. As a student, Heron makes a patient cry (I cringe when I think of what my clinical instructors would have done if I had done this. I actually think they would've kicked me out.)

2. As a student, Heron outright refuses to medicate a dying man, angrily confronts a doctor, angrily confronts her instructor, and is directly responsible for a man violently extubating himself...and suffers absolutely no consequences for any of these actions (uh, y
Carina Grams
Sep 09, 2012 Carina Grams rated it really liked it
Heron's books are in that category of books that are very fun to read, no interest in the book's topic required. I missed my train's stop more than once, absorbed in Heron's stories.

I started to read as many nursing stories as I could find, and Echo Heron is fantastic. Before, I'd read book written English professor turned RN. Her stuff was more current, but also a lot more just alright. Heron's writing is alive and the way she connects different parts of her stories make them hilarious. The th
JanBreesmom
Sep 15, 2011 JanBreesmom rated it it was amazing

Intensive Care: The Story of a Nurse by Echo Heron was the first book about nurses I read after becoming a Registered Nurse. At the time i found it daunting...a seemingly impossible job. Echo Heron told the story with warmth and compassion but also in complete candor. She had done it, not because it was easy or comfortable to do but because she was compelled to succeed in giving care and making a positive difference in the world around her.

Some twenty years later I have reread the book and I
Staceyj
Mar 08, 2016 Staceyj rated it really liked it
Wonderful story about a nurse and how stressful and crazy life can be. Very well written as well.
Lainy
Jan 11, 2015 Lainy rated it really liked it
Time taken to read - 8 days on and off

Publisher - Ivy Books

Pages - 372

Blurb from Goodreads

My Review

Echo Heron takes us on her journey of becoming a student, training to be a nurse and then finally through her advent
Kristopher
Aug 02, 2010 Kristopher rated it did not like it
This book is self-congratulatory swill. It's poorly written, and serves as a means of public self-stroking of the author's ego. Heron is rabidly determined to appear as "cute and plucky", always willing to stand up for herself against the overbearing doctors. This book consumed a day of my life that I will never get back, for which I am still resentful 6 years later.
Juanita Baltz
Nov 24, 2011 Juanita Baltz rated it really liked it
Once again a medical non fiction. Plus the author has a neat name. Echo comes across as a real person with a real life so when I learned who she prayed to or should I say called on in an emergency I was very excited. This may not be your book if you feel the trinity has you covered.
Vikki
May 12, 2011 Vikki rated it it was amazing
This book told of a girl's life in nursing school, as a nurse, through burn out. I really enjoyed this book. I would not recommend this book to just anyone. I am sorry to see from the posts that Ms. Heron got fired for writing this book! Too bad-what a great nurse.
Maggie
Apr 11, 2009 Maggie rated it it was ok
This woman drive me nuts! Apparently she is the only person capable of anything if her story is to be believed. I found her personality interferred with the story, (I just wish she would shut up about her self and how wonderful she is).
Karen
Feb 10, 2010 Karen rated it it was amazing
If you ever wondered what its like to be a nurse read this book. She takes a very honest real look at nursing. I think it explains both why you would go into the profession and even why you could end up leaving it or just wanting to leave.
Maggie
Apr 14, 2010 Maggie rated it really liked it
I read this a long time ago, but I remember it and how timeless it was.
Andrew
Jun 02, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: medicine
I discuss the book here:

This is a great book on the memories of a nurse, starting from nursing school. The world of nursing is portrayed as heavy in personal connections with patients, something I have yet to experience or see nurses doing, but the reason for some distance between nurses and patients is dramatized in the book near the end. Eco (yes its an odd first name, I cant imagine what it must have been like in grade school with such a name) later joi
Deidre
Jul 30, 2014 Deidre rated it liked it
Shelves: nursing, nursey-stuff
Echo Heron writes a memoir about her nursing career, from her earliest days as a nursing student to the early years with her experience as a registered nurse. She has a very distinct "nurse" sense of humor (if you are a nurse, you'll get it, if you're not.. Well, find a nurse somewhere and you'll pick up on it), and it comes through in her writing.

I didn't completely enjoy this book as much as I thought. I could relate to much of it, having gone through the terrors of nursing school and being an
Ann
Mar 25, 2016 Ann rated it liked it
3.5 for the medical part & human interest of those cases. The fill-in . . . not sure. Know I should have been interested in the asides of the nurse's life, however, it just didn't come across for me. Fascinating medical details of cases described.
Kaethe
So many MDs write about their patients and their experiences, but few nurses do (or maybe fewer nurses are able to get published). Heron writes well and clearly and with feeling about critical nursing.
Nicole
Jun 17, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic book. Said some great things about nursing. Says how it really is.
Katie
This was a pretty decent read, but I could not handle the nightmares. I get that this book was mostly truth, only slightly fiction, but dream sequences always come across as cheating to me, even if they're based on truth. I just didn't get it.

Other than that, it was a pretty good read, but I wish she would have gone into her abusive relationship a bit more, though that may just be because I love reading about abusive relationships.

That probably says more about me than it does about the author.
Molly Samson
Nov 01, 2011 Molly Samson rated it liked it
I read this book for my high school anatomy class and I thought it was okay. The middle of the book was by far the most interesting (I suppose that is usually the case) but the beginning was relatively dull and the ending left a lot to be desired. I felt as if she quickly finished the book and the whole tone of the story was changed. I understand that this is a story about her life but I felt as if she should have elaborated a little more in the end.
Caroline H
Oct 15, 2013 Caroline H rated it really liked it
Author pulled together stories from her experiences as a nursing student on into her early work as a critical care nurse, delightful read,
Heron gave us glimpses into her growth from a young student to a mature, caring professional caregiver, mostly in critical care areas.
As a similarly aged RN, I could relate to virtually all of the stories!
Jenell Hollett
Feb 14, 2013 Jenell Hollett rated it it was amazing
A very interesting read, especially when you realize how open and vulnerable Echo allows herself to be for her readers. As a writer, I enjoyed the book and her writing style. As someone with many family members in the medical field, I was glued to the details. Thank you Echo for a book that kept me anticipating the next chapter. Well done!
Brenda Kowinski
Jun 01, 2013 Brenda Kowinski rated it it was amazing
I read this book while in my early nursing years at least 10 yrs ago. I still talk about it with other nurses as a must read. I laughed and cried, and there aren't a whole lot of books out there that do that anymore. She tells a story about nursing that most nurses would relate with, especially in ICU.
Sherry
Aug 28, 2012 Sherry rated it it was amazing
Inspiring......made me excited about my career choice while I was in nursing school. Honest, told the bad along with the good, about herself as well. Now that i've been a cardiac critical care nurse 23 years, would like to read again. Read she was fired for writing this book, not surprised.
Holly
Apr 24, 2008 Holly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: true stories, nursing stories, single mother stories
Recommended to Holly by: My Mother
Shelves: true-life
Tina
Jan 21, 2013 Tina rated it it was ok
Shelves: medical
The first few chapters were relatable. As the book progressed, I realized I am not a nurse like the author; assuming the story is true. What she wrote about nursing school and hospital politics all seemed plausible. I just think it could have been handled in a different manner.
Katie Chaney
Jan 04, 2012 Katie Chaney rated it it was amazing
Loved this book when I read it before becoming a nurse myself. I find it even more fun and can relate so much better now that I have almost 10 years nursing under my belt. She is by far the best author of nursing stories I have read to date. Enjoying the re read!
Abby
Dec 26, 2009 Abby rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book which starts from when she is accepted into nursing school to about ten years later. The only problem is that it ends with her being burned out, so I REALLY have to get her next book. I just can't believe she would leave it at that!
  • A Nurse's Story
  • Just Here Trying to Save a Few Lives: Tales of Life and Death from the ER
  • Critical Care: A New Nurse Faces Death, Life, and Everything in Between
  • Nurse
  • Nursing Against the Odds: How Health Care Cost Cutting, Media Stereotypes, and Medical Hubris Undermine Nurses and Patient Care
  • Emergency!: True Stories From The Nation's ERs
  • Walk on Water: The Miracle of Saving Children's Lives
  • Trauma Junkie: Memoirs of an Emergency Flight Nurse
  • Something for the Pain: Compassion and Burnout in the ER
  • Baby ER: The Heroic Doctors and Nurses Who Perform Medicine's Tinies Miracles
  • A Final Arc of Sky: A Memoir of Critical Care
  • Notes on Nursing: What It Is, and What It Is Not
  • Bedside Manners: One Doctor's Reflections on the Oddly Intimate Encounters Between Patient and Healer
  • Get Well Soon! My (un)Brilliant Career As A Nurse
  • Ask Me Why I Hurt: The Kids Nobody Wants and the Doctor Who Heals Them
  • Paramedic: On the Front Lines of Medicine
  • On Call: A Doctor's Days and Nights in Residency
  • I Wasn't Strong Like This When I Started Out: True Stories of Becoming a Nurse