Start by marking “A Display of God's Glory” as Want to Read:
A Display of God's Glory

A Display of God's Glory

Dever unfolds the biblical blueprint to find a leadership structure that blesses churches with peace, but doesn't buckle under the pressures of corporate life.
Published January 1st 2001 by 9marks

To ask other readers questions about A Display of God's Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Display of God's Glory

Travis
Dec 19, 2013 Travis rated it really liked it
Mark Dever has preached and practiced proper polity for many years. As pastor of Capital Hill Baptist Church and author of multiple books, Dever has often argued that proper church structure is more than an issue of preference. In A Display of God’s Glory, we find one of Dever’s simplest works dealing with issues of elders, deacons, congregationalism, and church membership
Positives
This book is short, simple, and to-the-point. Dever argues clearly that churches should have a plurality of elders
Jeff Short
Mar 26, 2013 Jeff Short rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctrine, church
A good, concise treatment of the polity or organizational structure of the local church. I appreciate Dever's approach to this subject that it is not left to personal preference or creativity to order the church, but that we must search and submit to the Scriptures in all things as supremely authoritative and finally sufficient. Though Dever does bring some different references in history to bear, he exhorts that we not look to history but to the Bible.

He undertakes to present a simple, biblica
John Lawrence
May 20, 2013 John Lawrence rated it really liked it
A sharpening, influential book. I am not entirely settled in my understanding of church polity, but this was good information that was biblically and historically based. I am confident that these ideas were a good push in the right direction.

The questions I have coming away from it are: Why use the title of "pastor" (i.e., professionally trained, full-time, paid teaching elder) as as subset of the rest of the elders? I understand the biblical command to especially esteem that sort of elder (1 Ti
Alex
Feb 10, 2016 Alex rated it really liked it
This is another booklet that I've read as part of the Covenant Class for membership at my church.

I have to say, I really enjoyed this book. It does a great job breaking down the Biblical roles and responsibilities inside the church. The view is distinctly Baptist (it was written by Mark Dever, after all), but he makes a solid case for the overview he's presenting.

Don't get me wrong, it is only an overview. He doesn't dive deep into his proofs; nor does he fully explain the various aspects of t
Mark A Powell
Dec 30, 2013 Mark A Powell rated it it was amazing
Do churches need structure and leadership? Quite so, as Dever explains. Dever aptly reviews the roles of deacons, elders, congregationalism, and church membership is this brief, but highly informative book. Without miring in nuance, he highlights the key biblical understandings of each of these roles and their function within God’s structuring of His church. Dever writes with skillful precision and has crafted an extremely useful resource for those seeking to glorify God according to His design.
David
Feb 07, 2014 David rated it it was amazing
Helpful short book that explains church government and church officers. He argues for a “lead” elder, multiple elders, deacons and congregational government. He does this effectively with biblical support. Of course Dever understands that godly people who honor the Bible come to different conclusions, but this short text is well worth reading if you have interest in the subject.
Brad Hoff
Jun 03, 2010 Brad Hoff rated it really liked it
This book helped me understand more clearly the whole concept of elder-led congregationalism. It gave me a lot to think about. His treatment of deacons, though brief, was likewise thought-provoking.
Jordan
Jun 30, 2016 Jordan added it
Shelves: 2016
An excellent little book on the basics of what the church should look like. The conclusion is powerful!
Pete Williamson
Jul 16, 2011 Pete Williamson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
very helpful little book on congregational polity.
Mike Prince
Mike Prince rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Jason Herrington
Jason Herrington rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2011
Joey
Joey rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2012
Bette
Bette rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Brandon Myers
Brandon Myers rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2016
Kevin Schaub
Kevin Schaub rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2009
Aaron
Aaron rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Sherry
Sherry rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2008
Doug Payne
Doug Payne rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2011
Jonathan Christman
Jonathan Christman rated it liked it
May 07, 2013
Julia
Julia rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2015
Coyle
Coyle rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
E
E rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Brandon
Brandon rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Adam Embry
Adam Embry rated it liked it
May 21, 2013
Minnie
Aug 24, 2012 Minnie rated it really liked it
Congregationalism that is.
Mark Barnes
Mark Barnes rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Justin
Justin rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Matt Tyler
Matt Tyler rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Joe Valenti
Joe Valenti rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Alasdair Peterson
Alasdair Peterson rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Mark Dever serves as the senior pastor of Capitol Hill Baptist Church in Washington, DC. Since his ordination to the ministry in 1985, Dr. Dever has served on the pastoral staffs of four churches, the second being a church he planted in Massachusetts. Prior to moving to Washington in 1994, Dr. Dever taught for the faculty of Divinity at Cambridge University while serving two years as an associate ...more
More about Mark Dever...