Start by marking “The Castle in the Attic” as Want to Read:
The Castle in the Attic

The Castle in the Attic (The Castle In The Attic #1)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  14,173 Ratings  ·  552 Reviews
William has just received the best present of his life. It's an old, real-looking stone and wooden model of a castle, with a drawbridge, moat, and a about the castle. And sure enough, when he picks up the tiny silver knight, it comes alive in his hand!

finger-high knight to guard the gates. It's the mysterious castle his housekeeper has told him about, and even though Willi
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published April 12th 2005 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published September 1985)

Echo
Feb 18, 2008 Echo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: moms with boys or boys under 14
Shelves: read-with-kids
I just read this to my 2 boys (ages 6 & 4) for a bedtime read & I was a little surprised at how much they loved it. It's about a boy who has an adventure with a play castle & knight which come to life. It isn't a book you have to edit at all in the reading & it's captivating to any little boy who wishes he could be a hero. I can't even tell you how fast those turkeys got ready for bed while we were reading this, I hope I can find another one that captures their attention as much ...more
Amanda
Jan 12, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I took a trip back to my elementary/middle school years with this one. I've read it before in 5th grade, but reading it again, I think I would recommend it for even younger kids than that. It's a pretty good story, but the plot is paced a little strangely. The book is halfway over before they even go into the castle and on their adventure, which makes it seem to me like the adventure part moves much more quickly than it should. I would have liked less of William's whining and self-pity and mo ...more
Jill
by Elizabeth Winthrop
Edition: Audio CD

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
Great Fantasy, October 15, 2008

I enjoyed this book so much, I have listened to it twice.

William is ten-years-old when he finds out that his house-keeper/nanny is going to leave him. She says,"He is old enough to take care of himself now." William is afraid that with busy parents he will be left alone.
Before she parts for England, Mrs. Phillips gives William a very special gift. She
I remember reading this as a child, though I don't remember if it was for an assignment or on my own. It was certainly the type of book I enjoyed then. As an adult, I can see the elements that appealed to me as a child, but I can also see some of the things I wouldn't have considered as a child. For one thing, though the main character is a boy, this is not a book for most boys. William is a very sensitive boy, who plays gymnastics, and cries periodically. The story is mostly about the castle he ...more
Krissy
Oct 09, 2007 Krissy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
I read this in elementary school and adored it. Somebody else described it as being "magical," and for a kid I would agree. Castles and knights and fantasy kingdoms-- the stuff kids' dreams are made of. I read it again in college for an adolescent lit. class, and, of course, as an adult it didn't have the same appeal. But, hey, it wasn't written for adults in the first place, so big deal if my grown-up mind wasn't as hooked as the child of yesteryear. I still give it four stars, merely because t ...more
C.
Oct 11, 2015 C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Castle In The Attic” by Elizabeth Winthrop missed my radar when I was a child in 1985. It looked fun, adventuresome, inventive and certainly is. I look forward to obtaining its sequel. It is different than anyone might imagine. From the beginning, readers are unexpectedly encroached by such resonant emotion, we understand the ill-advised behaviour of the boy we follow. Career parents of William, a 10 year-old American, engaged a nanny all of his life. She hails from England and decides to r ...more
Lars Guthrie
Aug 13, 2010 Lars Guthrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enchanting yet odd little fantasy. William (definitely not Bill, or god forbid, Billy) is a sensitive and a bit of a loner. He has one other friend in his fifth grade class, and that connection derives from their shared social status. Outcasts.

William is dreamy, but also disciplined and driven as a gymnast. His parents are achievers and doers who have the best intentions, and very little time, for him.

The warmth in William's life comes from the English nanny his parents have hired, Mrs. Phi
Elizabeth McDonald
This is one of those books that is always sitting on library shelves but that I never read--I just was never drawn to it. After reading it now, that feeling is confirmed. Admittedly I probably would have enjoyed this book more if I were eight and had read the whole thing in an afternoon instead of being 27 and spending three days of commuting to get through it... but it just didn't sparkle in any way.

Part of this may have been the quite mediocre audiobook presentation. It was full-cast, but the
Danica Midlil
I think this book is an excellent example of what adults think kids SHOULD like in books. All the Lessons are very heavy-handed and moralistic. The main character forever self-examines all his mistakes and regrets them earnestly. Everything this kid did was earnest! There was never a moment of silliness or sarcasm!
I do not buy that this kid is ten. No way! He comes across as years younger than ten. Perhaps a believable seven?
I think getting an intermediate grade boy to read this all the way th
Jess
Oct 23, 2008 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Indian in the Cupboard fans, someone who feels racist recommending ndian in the Cupboard
Recommended to Jess by: fantasy "In the House" project
William receives a large medieval castle model and a knight figurine. While playing, the Silver Knight comes to life and puts William on the path to an Arthurian quest.

William is a little weepy and his attachment to Mrs. Phillips little long-winded (that's not the word but I can't think of one that fits and doesn't reflect something else.) Slow moving at the start but the quest part kicks it up.

I've heard it's enjoyed by elem. kids.

Obviously owes something to Indian in the Cupboard
Jack
Dec 27, 2008 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites from childhood. I need to read it again, but I remember loving it. I was probably in the fourth or fifth grade and I had to read this for a book report. I remember being so caught up in the story about a boy who enters his toy castle to fight evil. Obviously the details escape me, but check it out it's great.
Maggie Stiefvater
Aug 08, 2008 Maggie Stiefvater rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Indian in the Cupboard
Recommend this one for fans of THE INDIAN IN THE CUPBOARD.

***wondering why all my reviews are five stars? Because I'm only reviewing my favorite books -- not every book I read. Consider a novel's presence on my Goodreads bookshelf as a hearty endorsement. I can't believe I just said "hearty." It sounds like a stew.****
Ryan Hatch
5.5/10
I'm trying to review this in context of who it is for and not for what it is. It is written so poorly, it has the worst pacing and just seems to jump from scene to scene with almost no transition. We're supposed to care for the nanny and the knight with almost no conversation or description to give us any sort of emotional connection. The plot has major holes. I can't believe the editor didn't just tear this apart. That being said, I am a product of what books like this can do for a very y
becky
Sep 12, 2008 becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is really for any one who is in an adventerous mood. with this book being all about wizards and battle. William{the main character} finds this out when his housekeeper leaves him a present, a magical stone castle! you really need to read it to get the feel of medieval times.
tipy (tommy)
I did not like this book. It was exiting in different spots. Even I enjoyed this book I will give it a two. I liked different spots. this is a ok book. And so " I SAY SO LONG BOOK".
PurplyCookie
Ten-year-old William is so distraught at the idea of his beloved housekeeper/nanny Mrs. Phillips returning to England that, with the aid of a magic token, he shrinks her into the size of the toy knight which inhabits a wooden castle that has been passed down in her family for generations. To undo his rash deed, William must be miniaturized himself and accompany the silver knight, Sir Simon, on a quest to overthrow Alastor, a wicked magician who long ago usurped the throne of what should have bee ...more
Alison Olsen
The cover is what drew me in from the beginning. I remember reading this in 3rd grade maybe. I was enthralled with the concept of a magical castle that came to life. I tried really hard to make my barbie house come to life, but oddly enough that never occurred. While reading this I forgot how slow the beginning was. When the excitement and action finally started it was so fast paced and just awesome. Now I remember why I was so obsessed with being a hero. William jumps right into the adventure w ...more
Pam
Mar 01, 2015 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great read for students in 3rd-7th grade. I think that it should be a read aloud for 3rd-4th grade due to the big words. I think this will be a great mystery book for children in 5th-7th grade, they would really enjoy it.
Its about a 10 year old boy named William who lives in New York with his Nanny, Mrs. Phillips. Mrs. Phillips plans on moving back to England, but William doesn’t want her to leave. Mrs. Phillips gives William a gift, its her old wooden castle that has been passed
Kalista
I liked this book but it did not have as much action as I thought it would. I wished they made it a series so I could read more of it and tell if it got more interesting but it was still a good book. At the end it got me thinking what would happen next?
Loki
Jul 30, 2011 Loki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just like the last chapter book we finished, Loki was not so into this one. I think he prefers the stuff written for older crowds; when he gets the feeling it was written for "kids" he kind of poo-poos it. That didn't stop him from wanting to read this at every opportunity, however when it was over he said it was ok, rather than truly liking it.
For me it wasn't the best read, I prefer reading the kids books that are a little more advanced, where the language is creative and interesting. Also the
Emily
Mar 10, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favorite books as a child; I read it over and over.
William's nanny is going back to England because she believes he's old enough to take care of himself. Before she goes, she gives him a castle that has been in her family for generations. It comes with one Silver Knight, and when William touches him, he comes to life. In order to defeat the wizard who placed the spell on the knight, William must become small himself and journey to another land.
This book actually holds up well
Nevada Libert
Apr 09, 2014 Nevada Libert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a gooooood book, it is full of bravery and pashhion about. a boy who went on a adventure and used his heart for his weapon.
Sep 28, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I loved this book as a child. I was enchanted by the idea of having a castle, in the attic no less, that came to life. What a wonderful way to experience chivalry -- travel back in time without being stuck there. I recently reread the book and was surprised by how much I didn't remember. The characters have a mission and are stuck in medieval times until the save whomever it is they are supposed to save. I still liked the book, but it lost much of its enchantment for me. Plus, there was no real ...more
Eris Vianney
Apr 19, 2014 Eris Vianney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood-books
Childhood.
Kaity
Apr 29, 2015 Kaity rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Castle in the Attic (The Castle in the Attic, #1) by Elizabeth WinthropThe story starts out with the main character, a young boy named William, and his gift of a wooden castle. William got this very realistic looking castle with knights from his housekeeper who is moving away. When William picks up one of the knights he comes to life and begins to tell William a story. This takes William into the land of the castle which comes equip with fire spitting dragons and all. I love that William jumps into the story and actually becomes a part of it. I think that the way ...more
Kari
Jan 19, 2015 Kari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of a 10-year-old who is gifted a toy castle with a lead knight, and when the boy picks up the knight it comes to life. The boy ends up being shrunk by the knight and the two go on an adventure to save the knight's kingdom from an evil wizard.

This book gets 5 stars for nostalgia. It was my brother's favorite book growing up, and I read it a time or two when I was young too. I just finished reading it to Hinton, and he really enjoyed it as well.
Dharia Scarab

Myself, I go ou
Travis
Mar 30, 2016 Travis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Decent bit of fantasy that is a weird mix of serious message and fluffy story telling.
Half the book we spend in the real world, before ending up in a magical kingdom of dragons and wizards.

I really liked the stuff in the real world, with the toy castle. Reminded me of 'the Indian in the cubbard' and the 'Borrowers'. Kind of wish the story had stayed there, as the fantasy realm is incredibly by the numbers and kind of boring.
It feels like the author felt she had to include it rather than she want
Annette
Mar 24, 2008 Annette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: boys age 8-10
Recommended to Annette by: Aunt Marie
I'm giving this a high rating because I just got done reading this book with my 10 year old son and he loved it! It is a really good adventure book for kids, especially boys. As a parent, I liked it because it was enjoyable to see how the main character, ten year old, William grows and changes throughout the book.
Bonnie
One of my favorite books as a kid. I'm pretty sure I read this book a dozen times. I re-read it for the 2015 reading challenge (Book from your childhood) and I loved it just as much this time around. For two hours I was a 10 year old all over again reading this from my bunk bed at my parent's house.
  • The Secret of the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #3)
  • Jennifer Murdley's Toad (Magic Shop, #3)
  • Nighty-Nightmare (Bunnicula, #4)
  • The Boggart (The Boggart, #1)
  • Behind the Attic Wall
  • The Cat Who Wished to Be a Man
  • The Time Garden (Tales of Magic, #4)
  • The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks
  • Knights of the Kitchen Table (Time Warp Trio, #1)
  • Afternoon of the Elves
  • Night of the Twisters
  • The Dollhouse Murders
ELIZABETH WINTHROP is the author of over sixty works of fiction for all ages.

Her most recent picture book, LUCY AND HENRY ARE TWINS, a picture book for toddlers with illustrations by Jane Massey, was published by Two Lions in 2015. Publishers Weekly called MAIA AND THE MONSTER BABY, published by Holiday House, a story of "two winning female characters with a message about friendship and girl power
More about Elizabeth Winthrop...

The Castle In The Attic (2 books)
  • The Battle for the Castle (The Castle in the Attic, #2)

“withdrew.” 0 likes