Start by marking “Lost & Found (Surf Bay, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lost & Found (Surf Bay, #1)

Lost & Found (Surf Bay #1)

Sometimes it takes love to truly find yourself

When 18-year-old Charlie’s unreliable mother tells him they are moving across the country to live with her mysterious Aunt Evelyn in the sunny town of Surf Bay, he isn’t surprised. After spending most of his life moving around the country with his mother and younger sister, picking up his life and starting somewhere new is seco
Kindle Edition, 2, 205 pages
Published August 31st 2014

To ask other readers questions about Lost & Found, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost & Found

Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥
I recieved a review copy of this in exchange for an honest review from the DBML program

This is me the whole entire damn book

I had such a huge issue with this book. I don't know where the author got her information on wooing, but she should return that shit to sender, Promptly!

Oliver was basically your beginning rapist/pervert/creep/ just Eww all the way around. I hated him so much. Charlie, should have found a lawyer, and slapped a sexual harassment suit on his ass from the beginning. I had issu
Veronica of V's Reads
I received this book from the Don't Buy My Love program on Goodreads, in exchange for an honest review.

This book is about Charlie, an 18 y/o boy who is on the constant move with his flaky mother Sarah and six y/o half sister Poppy. They have settled in Surf Bay, California while Sarah tries to hold down yet another minimal-wage job. A slightly older boy, Oliver, is a rich kid (but doesn't wish to be) fixes his bisexual sights on Charlie. For the fun of it, I suppose.

Oliver likes a challenge, and
Chris, the Dalek King
This one was a hard one for me. There are some points that i absolutly hate and some that I quite liked. And others that just...that I just couldn't decide one way or the other.

Oliver...what can I say about Oliver? Well, for the first 40% of the book, given the chance, I would gleefully have pushed him into a live volcano (if, you know, that didn't necessitate me getting within 100 miles of volcano...which, no, just no). He was annoying, and creepy, and sexually harrasses Charlie in so many ways
Lori
Oct 20, 2014 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bmbr-reads
3.75

Review previously at BMBR.

I have to say that I was slightly nervous about reading this book, I'd previously read The Secret by the same author and it didn't really work for me. Despite my, less than glowing, review last time, the author asked if I would be interested as he had taken on board what I had said and hoped his writing was improving - for this attitude alone I agreed. And boy am I glad I did.

I can see such huge improvements in this story, I was hooked by the characters immediately
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie
I liked this book, but it frustrated me as well. Charlie moves into yet another new town with his mom and sister. He meets the arrogant hunky Oliver in his first day in town. Oliver always goes after what he wants, and what he wants is Charlie. Charlie is straight and has no use for Oliver, if only he could tell his body that, everything might be okay.

The book flowed well, and the MC's had good chemistry. I liked the alternating POV's and it wasn't difficult to remember who's head we were in, e
Angela Montoya
Sep 10, 2014 Angela Montoya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
COULDN'T PUT THIS BOOK DOWN! Ashley John is a wonderful author that everyone should be watching out for! Although Harvey will forever have a special place in my heart. Oliver & Charlie have completely won me over! CAN NOT WAIT to find out more about Porter!!!
Ruthie
Sep 02, 2014 Ruthie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First thing I'd like to do is thank the author for providing me with this free copy in exchange for an honest review.Thank you so much!I really appreciate it!

3.5 stars for Lost and found!

PROS:
I feel the author has managed to play out the emotions of the main characters beautifully.The annoyance Charlie felt when he learned they had to move yet again, the first impressions of Charlie and Oliver about each other.It was as if I was the one feeling them!

I usually don't like the stories which have ch
Deanna Against Censorship
My previous read by this author was a wonderful experience. Not so this one. I liked the setting. I liked how Charlie showed responsibility & tried to help provide for his Mother and little sister. His mother ran with no notice whenever she ran up more bills than she could pay. The kids were being taught to run not stay when thinks got difficult. Not a happy family.

Oliver was a jerk. He was not someone who cared about others, but his family had not taught him love. He changed because of his
Kristie
Feb 23, 2015 Kristie rated it it was ok
So, I'm trying not be harsh here. The story was almost there but the dialogue was so juvenile. I really had a lot of issues with this book but I did like the people involved. I don't know... this one is hard for me. I probably skimmed the last 25% because I just wanted to know what happened. Really, not my favorite book.
Aimee
Sep 07, 2014 Aimee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was given free in exchange for an honest review.
I would give this 2.5 stars.

This was one of those books that didn't quite live up to its potential. The author came up with a great story idea, but it never developed properly. We have Charlie who has spent his life being moved around the country by his irresponsible mother and Oliver, the sexually experienced golden California boy. Charlie is very focused on keeping his family in one place by being the responsible one. He moves to Surf B
Dreamer80
Sep 05, 2014 Dreamer80 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dbml-reviews
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

This story starts with Charlie in a cab with his mother Sarah and his little cute sister Poppy. They’re moving for the thousand time: new city, new house, new jobs, new life.
But, Charlie can’t stop thinking about this… for how long?
Moving to Surf Bay, California, to Charlie’s mother aunt Evelyn, it’s something that does not make Charlie happy. His mother is not someone you can count on. She’s known to her son to be someone that can really mes
Pam Kay
Nov 14, 2014 Pam Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Lost & Found' is a very sweet story which ultimately has a happy ending. Charlie, his mom, and sister have moved around the country every time his mom runs into bad times, whether it be losing a job, creditors after her, and even a loan shark. His mom's answer to all of this is to all of a sudden to uproot her family, run, and hide to another area. On their last move they go from Alaska to Surf Bay, California, to his mom's aunt, who provides a roof over their heads until they get on their ...more
blub
Kevin
Sep 03, 2014 Kevin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was provided to me for free in exchange for an honest review. I have no connection to the author.

This was an okay teen love story. It dragged a bit at 200 pages. There was tension near the end that I did not particularly enjoy reading, but I suppose life is not always pleasant. The ending was a bit predictable.

It was unusual to have British language in a story set in California with American characters. The writing was sloppy with misplaced hyphens, apostrophes, capitalizations, and co
Rachel
Sep 02, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book.
I hated Oliver to start with, he was an arragant so and so who always got what he went after. He kind of grew on me though as Charlie gave him a bit of a run for his money.
It all seemed to be slightly rushed though with no clear timeline of the time frame that it all happened over.
I felt for Charlie with all the moves and uncertainty of his life with the situation with his mother.
The connection between the 2 main characters was there but wasnt shown that well either in words
Lorraine Lesar
Mar 06, 2015 Lorraine Lesar rated it really liked it
Awwwww this was sweet (except the loan shark incident and I've got a feeling that we haven't heard the last on that one). I really liked Oliver from the start - pushy, quick wit, comfortable in his own skin and knew that he wanted Charlie from day 1 and then their's my darling Charlie....so strong when needed (and with his mum, he needed it a lot!) and once he understood his feelings for Oliver - went for it! Yeah, there were a few rushed issues and some issues left unanswered but I'm sure these ...more
Sam Callaghan
Mar 31, 2015 Sam Callaghan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Have just finished this book and I honestly couldn't put it down.the character Charlie gripped me from the start, his innocence was sweet but as soon as he interacted with Oliver you could tell he had a deeply buried passionate side.
Oliver early could have been like any other spoiled rich kid but despite his flashy outward demeanour you could sense someone who simply wanted to be seen and loved for him.
The comedy comes from Porter and I would love to read about him and his partner. Their relatio
Crystal Mastrangelo
Feb 18, 2015 Crystal Mastrangelo rated it really liked it
This is the first in Ashley John's "Surf Bay" series. I started it once before and I am embarrassed to say, I put it down and wasn't going to finish it. I was not crazy about Oliver, at all !! (arrogant little shit!) But I picked it up again and I am so glad I did !! What a great story ! The development of the characters was told very well (there was a reason why Oliver is an arrogant little shit) I thought the story flowed well and it definitely got me hooked ! I am off to the next book !!
Otterpuss
Oct 21, 2014 Otterpuss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Charlie. His embarassed awkwardness is so cute.

I found Oliver a bit creepy at the beginning. It was difficult to like him and he was very overbearing.

It's a bit clunky in places and the ending is all a bit rushed but overall its a good, sweet read.
Brock Cox
Mar 01, 2015 Brock Cox rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I read from Ashley John, and I loved it. I read a lot of mixed reviews, saying they didn't like how the characters acted, but they are 18 year olds! How did you expect them to act? Great start to the Surf Bay series.
Brievon
Dec 19, 2014 Brievon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
This book was provided for free by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Charlie is a quiet guy who has just graduated from high school and moved to small California coastal town. He is used to moving frequently thanks to his mother's inability to keep a job or manage finances. Oliver is a handsome local surfer and very much a player, as soon as he sees Charlie he wants Charlie as another notch on his bedpost. Charlie is straight and not interested, but Oliver won’t take “No” for an answer
Kirsty Vizard
Things I like: puppies, teddy bears, candy-floss and Lost and Found! So what do these fours things have in common? They are all fluffy and give me some kind of comfort! Yet at the heart of Ashley John’s first book in the Surf Bay series there is so much more.
This is the story of Charlie, who is forced to constantly move from state to state by his mum. He is 18 and though he is fiercely protective of his little family, he is still unsure of his identity.
Oliver is one of the first people Charlie m
May
Sep 02, 2014 May rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
I have received this book in exchange for and honest review, many thanks to the author for being brave and believing enough in his work to do this. I feel I must temper this review with a bravo to a young man who, at just 20, already has three books available. Well done.
Charlie, the new boy in town is overwhelmed with his responsibilities to his mother and little sister. He appears to be the only responsible adult in their little family. He is enamoured by the gardener/playboy about town, Oliver
Tsubaki
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I think I'll keep this short for risk of ranting on forever. I really couldn't like Oliver. I really couldn't even bring myself to. First impression, he fluctuated between being a vulgar asshole to being downright creepy. I've always been a little wary of the whole bisexual thing and Oliver was a perfect reminder of why. He just oozed questionable motive. Frankly, I couldn't see how Charlie even ended up liking him… other than
Jilrene ♥
I received a free copy of this book via the Goodreads Don't buy My Love program in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 cheeky stars

This is a very difficult review for me to write. I desperately want to give this book 4 stars. I love, love, love the story! Oliver is precious. Charlie is adorable. Even the secondary characters are well developed and believable. This story needed an American beta reader or to be set somewhere Brit-speak is normal.

If you don’t mind the unusual word choices, you mig
Lisa Cullinan
May 26, 2015 Lisa Cullinan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-read
Loved this book

This is a story of young love between a local rich, recent high school graduate, Oliver and the new kid who moves into the town of Surf Bay. Charlie, along with his mother and little sister move into their aunts home to start a new life for the umpteenth time. Charlie's mom, Sarah, can not seem to stay in one place for any extended period of time. Charlie sees Oliver on his aunt's property as Oliver tends to her gardens for her. He's built and hot ~ and he knows it. Charlie on the
Christina Wade - BFD Book Blog
3.5 stars so rounding up to 4.

first let me state that there needs to be more editing - the wrong names were used a couple times, there were typos and grammatical errors that were a bit annoying.

overall, i really liked this story and will definitely read book 2 (esp. since i really liked porter).

a young man 'discovering' his sexuality is always a slippery slope in the books i read and writing a realistic story around that, i imagine, is difficult. at first i thought it was handled nicely in this
Kimberly
Dec 23, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
I really enjoyed the book. Oliver of course to many readers may have been annoying but to me when you understand why he is the way he is and read on you understand. And Charlie always saying " I'm not Gay " to many may have been annoying to readers was not to me the slightest. They are both young adults and learning oh shit I'm in love and sometimes you fall in love with those of the same sex neither were looking for it to happen and and the open minded Charlie can only be applauded. That love ...more
Ptdog
Nov 10, 2014 Ptdog rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the story. It's a nice read. It's obviously written by a Brit. Oliver & Charlie? Even their names are British. The dialogue is British not American so it's hard to buy into reality for very long. "Oi" instead of "hey", "flat" instead of "apartment", "take a piss", "proper", the list goes on. American and English really are two different languages. One does not go up to Yale from California, either. And, as a gay So. Cal. Surfer boy let me say that there are phrases and terms that we ...more
Andrea Goodell
Oct 23, 2014 Andrea Goodell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was nervous about reading this book because of the young ages on both MC's but with the hard lives they both have endured, you can see why you quickly forget about that.
I think the author did a wonderful job portraying the sadder side of life, growing up poor, being hauled around by a drunk mother, with a small sister in tow. Never knowing when the next meal is coming. Finally landing is a small town w/a Aunt that doesn't much want them either.

And then we meet, Oliver, trust fund baby. He's be
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Misplaced Affection
  • Thrust (Into the Fire #1)
  • Out of the Blue (Out of the Blue, #1)
  • Finding Aaron (Finding Home #1)
  • Blood Tied (The Warlock Brothers of Havenbridge, #2)
  • Impossibly True (Impossibly, #2)
  • Tristant and Elijah
  • Last Marine Standing (Heroes #2)
  • Stripped Expectations
  • I Got You
  • (Watch Me) Unmask You (Run This Town, #3)
  • Double Alchemy (Double Alchemy, #1)
  • Past Hurts (Sizzling Miami #1)
  • Three Days of Rain
  • The Wind Your Voice, The Rain Your Tears (Golden Nettle, #1)
  • Unbroken Hearts (Unbreak My Heart, #2)
  • In The Absence of Monsters
  • Against the Wall (Firsts and Forever, #7)
Ashley John is a gay author of gay/mm romance novels. Living in the north of England with his fiance and two cats, Ashley John spends his days writing down the voices he hears in his head. His books are primarily romance dramas with sprinklings of erotica and he has a knack for making you feel like you're living right beside the characters he creates. Ashley John is also a keen artist and he puts ...more
More about Ashley John...

Surf Bay (5 books)
  • Full Circle (Surf Bay, #2)
  • Saving Michael (Surf Bay, #3)
  • Love's Medicine (Surf Bay, #4)
  • Sink Or Swim (Surf Bay, #5)