Start by marking “Once a Rake” as Want to Read:
Once a Rake

Once a Rake

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  290 ratings  ·  31 reviews
After a society darling seduces a notorious rake to champion her charity, she risks her reputation--and her heart--in this passionate new romance by the author of "My Wicked Pirate." Original.
Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Published December 1st 2007 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Once a Rake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once a Rake

Beauty by Robin McKinleyLord of Scoundrels by Loretta ChaseBeastly by Alex FlinnLover Awakened by J.R. WardWhen Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James
Beauty and the Beast
102nd out of 421 books — 989 voters
Romancing Mister Bridgerton by Julia QuinnSeduce Me at Sunrise by Lisa KleypasScandal in Spring by Lisa KleypasWhen He Was Wicked by Julia QuinnNine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean
"I've Loved You for Years."
263rd out of 634 books — 753 voters

More lists with this book...

Catherine
I am so mad at this book right now! What happened?!?!? Everything was going nicely until page 295. That page is where the book went bipolar on me and made me hate it.

In the beginning we're treated to a sweet love story. Paris has been reclusive after his return from the war and Isabel is finally determined to lure him into spending time with her. She had a bit of puppy love for him when she was younger. Paris was best friend to her older brother, Will, and whenever they would get leave from the
Tammy
I loved this heart-warming book and was thrilled to discover a new author. Once a Rake was a breath of fresh air for me -a very nice change after the stacks of contemporary romances that I have been reading lately.

Isabel and Ashby were wonderful characters with strong personalities. Their developing relationship was very sweet and (eventually) very sexy. I personally thought that the flashbacks to their younger years were well-written. The villan was horrible and the various subplots were inter
Fani
Amy
A very long book (almost 450 pages), but a very good book -- I couldn't put it down!

In this heartwarming story, the strong, troubled, lonely and handsome Paris, Earl of Ashby leaves England to fight Napoleon with his best friend Will and returns with physical as well as emotional scars, which include not returning with his best friend Will. He returns with what he left behind, which is an even stronger love for Will's little sister Isabel. -- From amazon.com

This is a wicked and sensual story as
Alyssa
Could hardly put it down. Well worth the read.
LWB Marissa
Once, the dashing major and Earl of Ashby was the most notorious rake of London, women swoon when they saw him, but that all changed when a canon-shell exploded in his face during the war with Napoleon. Devastated and feeling guilty over the death of his best friend Will, he retreats to his London townhouse, shuns society and lives as a recluse. Until she shows up at his doorstep, asking him to support her charity. The little girl, Isabel Aubrey, he once knew as Will’s little sister has full-gro ...more
Abeer Hoque
I've been skipping reviewing the trashy romances I read, but that's snobby, plus since I've not read anything else in a month due to reader's block, this accounts for my time. Do note that my star rating is necessarily on a different scale.

Elitist caveats aside, "Once a Rake" had some decent character development and snappy banter, and despite a predictable plot and stereotyped characters (the golden innocent beauty, the scarred brooding hero), the story paces along, until about halfway through
Erin
This book turned out much better than I expected. I almost didn't read it because of some of the bad reviews. Rona Sharon did an excellent job with this story. I don't believe there is any way she could have shortened it and still made it believable. All the problems don't just go away once the hero and heroine figure out they are in love! She had to take us through the process of someone changing so the reader would feel satisfied in the end that the love would last forever. The only thing I di ...more
Montse
No me encantó, ese final fue taaan arggg

Y no me gustó como manejaban a los personajes secundarios, casi siempre me quedo prendada de las historias secundarias, si están bien manejadas, y de la historia de su amiga desdichada, me hubiera gustado saber más. Siento que lo puso solo como de relleno por que nunca terminó de decirnos nada sobre ellos...

Bahhh espero que el año continúe mejor con las lecturas! :/
Victoria Owen
Pumpkin
I like it when the characters are in love and together earlier in a romance and the conflicts are external. I'll usually also accept a romance if it's set in this time period much more readily than I will a modern setting romance novel. Sort of 'Phantom of the Opera' meets 'Little Women'. Sort of.
Brenda (b)
I love a tormented, scarred hero who finds salvation with his true love. The only draw back to the story was the age difference - once I forced myself to ignore that I enjoyed reading how Ashby and Isabel overcame the obstacles in their path.
Leigh
This poor author keeps getting saddled with cheesetastic covers. It's a shame, because this book is wonderful and Rona Sharon should be a lot more popular than she is.
Mitzi
Book 2. Pretty good but not as good as My Wicked Pirate.
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
I read this book some time ago before I was on Goodreads and only just came across it again, so I thought I would mark it up. Normally I wouldn't probably particularly remember a book so far down the track (I think I read it three or four years ago), except with this one I HATED the heroine. The book was actually pretty good to a certain stage, then the heroine did something which *pissed me off* so badly I ditched the book on the spot, no second chances given. That particular behaviour by the h ...more
Daisiemae
Feb 13, 2008 Daisiemae rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Who can overlook a silly heroine so they can read about a lovable hero
Recommended to Daisiemae by: Amazon
I wanted to really like this book so much! I loved the storyline. The is scarred from fighting in the Napolean War and recovering from survivors guilt and has been in love with the heroine almost all of his life.
Well, first and formost I really liked the hero. He had alot of redeeming qualities about him. He WORKED hard to convince the heroine to love and accept him. Yes, he had flaws, but he would work his way through them and come out better for it.
On the other hand I did not care for the her
Lucimar
Gostei da trama, dos diálogos e de como a autora conseguiu levá-los aos altos e baixos, por conta dos ciúmes, dos desentendimentos, das palavras ditas em momentos inapropriados, sem deixar que os vai-e-vem deles caísse na monotonia. Gostei da autenticidades e dos personagens secundários, tais como o mordomo dele e as adoráveis gêmeas, irmã dela. Hilária a primeira vez que ela se apresenta na casa dele. Morri de rir. Gostei muito por ter me proporcionado bons momento, sem me enfastiar.
Denni
Nov 17, 2008 Denni rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of historical virgins
Well written, interesting, and good characterization. There is one quality that makes me hestitate to hunt up other titles by this author; the plot consists of a seemingly endless series of misunderstandings and snafus. About half way thru, I seriously thought the author was about to wrap up the storyline. But no, more misunderstandings, and more, and yet more. The book describes the heroine as "all grown up now", but there are definately some maturity issues. At times wondered what the poor her ...more
Heidi
Not bad, liked her other book better.
Jessica
I love the beginning of this book but about halfway through it became exasperating to read. Every other word was a misunderstanding between the hero and the heroine. It became all uncharacteristic acts and second guessing of feelings. Some twists in the story are what keep it interesting but not if those twists could take up another book all on their own.
Pamela(AllHoney)
The synopsis appealed to me. I enjoyed the concept of the scarred reclusive hero and the heroine who would eventually "save" him. It had the right elements to make it a winner but it didn't come together in a style that worked for me. It didn't live up to the hype it got when it came out. It was just a fair read.
Hilary
really warmed up to it as the book went further but the ending was very abrupt. I mean it was a "yeay most every ones happily together!" but shit even 2more paragraphs worth of an explanation would of helped. It was like she loomed at the clock and realized she was late so she scribbled it down.
Vonnie Hughes
Yet another 19th century heroine with 21st century attitudes. The poor Duke of Wellington would be horrified to see how chummy he was with his troops. I think maybe the author tried to stuff too much into the book.
Moriah
I read this book years ago and can't remember much about it except that, when I look at the cover, I remember it annoyed the hell out of me.
Lucie "a heart so wild"
This book should be great if the Hero not too brooding (and takes too long)... starting from this book...I do hate brooding Hero.
Karen Darling
This book is very draining. It wass one thing after another. Too many secrets, lies and deceits. Two drawn out.
Susan
It started off good. but... hummm. Just can't say that I'm glad I bought it. maybe the next one.
Saral
I hate it when the hero is scared (too much drama about it)
  • When Seducing a Duke (Victorian Soap Opera, #1)
  • Beauty and the Baron
  • Beauty and the Scarred Hero
  • Tempt Me Not (Me Not #1)
  • Seven Nights to Forever
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • The Way of the Heart
  • One Perfect Rose (Fallen Angels #7)
  • Taming The Beast
  • Red Roses Mean Love
  • Marrying The Captain (Channel Fleet, #1)
  • The Romantic (Seducers #5)
  • An Infamous Marriage
  • A Lady's Pleasure (Mistress Trilogy, #1)
  • Conquering Passion
  • The Portrait
  • Love Is Blind
  • Nothing To Commend Her
20986
Rona Sharon is the author of critically acclaimed historical novels of intrigue, passion, and danger. Her latest, ROYAL BLOOD, is a tale of lust and violence in the treacherous Tudor Court.

From her home on the Mediterranean Coast in Tel Aviv, surrounded by thousands of years of history, Rona brings her passion for culture and travel to her writing and never fails to deliver a story that carries a
More about Rona Sharon...
My Wicked Pirate Royal Blood