Start by marking “Each for the Other: Marriage as It's Meant to Be” as Want to Read:
Each for the Other: Marriage as It's Meant to Be

Each for the Other: Marriage as It's Meant to Be

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Marriage requires not just love, but sacrificial love, says Bryan Chapell. In his newly revised and updated book, Each for the Other, he shows married couples how to emulate the unselfish, sacrificial love of Christ. While imparting invaluable instruction grounded in Scripture, Chapell not only helps husbands and wives understand the nature of God's care but also affirms t ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Baker Books (first published December 31st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Each for the Other, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Each for the Other

Christina
Feb 22, 2008 Christina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: engaged couples, married couples
Recommended to Christina by: Chuck DeBardeleben
A challenge to husbands and wives to live for Christ in their marriages. If seeing God glorified is our top priority, Paul's instructions for husbands to love and lead and for wives to respect and submit will be goals we will joyfully pursue. This is a beautifully written explanation of headship and submission with plenty of scriptural backing.

**HIGHLIGHTS**

Introduction:
"God designed us to know life's greatest fulfillment through losing ourselves in the service of purposes higher than self-sati
Robert Murphy
This is a good book for a particular audience. Is you are a conservative Christian, you will enjoy this book. I think, however, as a conservative Christian, that marriage is for everyone, not just Christians. As the institution of marriage changes all around us, it is Italy important that Christians consider the broad context and be able to articulate a view of marriage that outsiders can understand. This book will not help you do that.

It may also be a cultural issue. My Bible Belt friends like
Greg Baughman
A great book for the married couple. Well nuanced theologically, and as one would expect from Chapell, well illustrated and pastoral. This is a great read for married couples and those about to be married. For the single person wanting to read a book about marriage, I would recommend Tim Keller's The Meaning of Marriage: Finding Happiness in Your Most Profound Relationship. For a fuller review of "Each for the Other" follow this link.
Kenneth
This is a great little book on marriage and parenting. It basically is an exposition of Ephesians 5:25-6:4. It looks at the role of a husband, then wife, and finally children and parents. It was very nicely written and reads quickly but packs a lot of great information and would really help one begin forming a theology of marriage and parenting.
Publisher: Baker Books
Scripture Index: no
Bibliography/Recommended reading: no
Persons
RGM
A clear and cogent case for biblical marriage, Each for the Other provides a solid glimpse of how marriage should be--husbands and wives serving each other, each laying down his or her life for the other. Chapell offers a solid antidote to the increasingly popular sentiment in our culture that disparages the roles of men and women in marriage and blurs the distinction between the two. If you want to know how to have a joyful, God-honoring marriage, read this book!
Kate
I hear the authors present this material at a marriage conference at our church. It was singularly the best discussion of headship and submission that I've ever heard; in short, that headship is the use of authority in service to another, and that submission is the exercise of all of one's gifts for the completion of another. I think this is my favorite book on marriage I've read.
J. Alfred
This was a good one, though it was oddly written: the syntax was all over the place and the illustrations Chappel uses are out of control. It was like hearing a long, sort of deafening sermon. There is good stuff in it, however, specifically about what it means to be the "head" of a marriage in a biblically honoring way.
Erika
Source: Marriage and Family class at Moody
Response: Much more text-booky than Love and Respect, which was good, but took a little longer to read. Focused very nicely on the ultimate reason for loving and respecting your spouce: because God says to, not so they’ll do the same back.
Laurie
I didn't finish this one -- I read the chapters on expectations for husbands and wives but thought I'd skip the chapters on family for now. I found it a bit dry but sound and grounded in Scripture.
Gavin Breeden
Great book on marriage that takes our sinfulness and the joys of marriage seriously. I feel like I'd benefit from reading it once a year. Also, tons of great sermon illustrations in here.
Kayla
My husband and I had to read this book for our before marriage counciling and it is an amazing book. It does a great job of explaining what marriage is supposed to be.
Kevin
A challenge to husbands and wives to live their lives sacrificially for the other.
Plunk
A great reformed treatment on how to and not to love on another.
Jan
good information, but it wasn't lively enough to keep my attention.
Courtney
A wonderful insight to couples about to be marrid.
Luke
Great book on Godly marriage.
Lincoln Forlong
Lincoln Forlong is currently reading it
Dec 09, 2014
Kyle Noll
Kyle Noll marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Kathleen Gonderman
Kathleen Gonderman marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Inna
Inna marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Liz Janus
Liz Janus marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Catherin
Catherin marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Catherine Harris
Catherine Harris marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Kelty
Kelty marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Mystery of Marriage: Meditations on the Miracle
  • Before You Say "I Do"
  • Love That Lasts: When Marriage Meets Grace
  • God of Promise: Introducing Covenant Theology
  • Sacred Marriage Participant's Guide: What If God Designed Marriage to Make Us Holy More Than to Make Us Happy?
  • Intimate Allies
  • Sex and the Supremacy of Christ
  • Fit to Be Tied: Making Marriage Last a Lifetime
  • Sex, Romance, and the Glory of God: What Every Christian Husband Needs to Know
  • Love Life for Every Married Couple: How to Fall in Love, Stay in Love, Rekindle Your Love
  • Not the Way It's Supposed to Be: A Breviary of Sin
  • Dr. Gary Chapman on The Marriage You've Always Wanted
  • When Sinners Say "I Do": Discovering the Power of the Gospel for Marriage
  • The Marriage Builder
  • Marriage Matters: Extraordinary Change Through Ordinary Moments
  • What Did You Expect?: Redeeming the Realities of Marriage
  • Disciplines of a Godly Man
  • Her Hand in Marriage
Bryan Chapell is the president of Covenant Theological Seminary in St. Louis, Missouri, the denominational seminary of the Presbyterian Church in America. He began teaching at Covenant in 1984 after ten years in pastoral ministry. Chapell has a BSJ from Northwestern University, an MDiv from Covenant Theological Seminary, and a PhD in speech communication from Southern Illinois University Carbondal ...more
More about Bryan Chapell...
Christ-Centered Preaching: Redeeming the Expository Sermon Praying Backwards: Transform Your Prayer Life by Beginning in Jesus' Name Holiness by Grace: Delighting in the Joy That Is Our Strength Christ-Centered Worship: Letting the Gospel Shape Our Practice Why Do We Baptize Infants? (Basics of the Reformed Faith)