Start by marking “Each for the Other: Marriage as It's Meant to Be” as Want to Read:
Each for the Other: Marriage as It's Meant to Be

Each for the Other: Marriage as It's Meant to Be

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  220 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Marriage requires not just love, but sacrificial love, says Bryan Chapell. In his newly revised and updated book, Each for the Other, he shows married couples how to emulate the unselfish, sacrificial love of Christ. While imparting invaluable instruction grounded in Scripture, Chapell not only helps husbands and wives understand the nature of God's care but also affirms t ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Baker Books (first published December 31st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Each for the Other, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Each for the Other

Rose
Solid. Probably the most affirming toward women marriage book I've read. This is the first book I've read about marriage that did not make me feel guilty for being a strong assertive woman. There is a nice balance here and affirming of the fact that "traditional gender roles" don't make a marriage. My one quibble would be that while Chappell affirms women in various roles almost every single positive example of a women is someone who is smart who stayed home with her children. I would have liked ...more
Daniel Dawson
Aug 09, 2015 Daniel Dawson rated it liked it
A better one is Tim Keller's book on marriage.

“‘Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.’ (Matt. 10:39). Lives devoted to serving self cannot avoid making one’s own desires the god of every action. Such gods ultimately enslave us to our appetites and deprive us of the relationships that make our lives fulfilling.”

“Home: where each lives for the other, and all live for God.”

“me-Tarzan-you-doormat stereotype”

Neat story about rock climbing: there
Christina
Feb 22, 2008 Christina rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: engaged couples, married couples
Recommended to Christina by: Chuck DeBardeleben
A challenge to husbands and wives to live for Christ in their marriages. If seeing God glorified is our top priority, Paul's instructions for husbands to love and lead and for wives to respect and submit will be goals we will joyfully pursue. This is a beautifully written explanation of headship and submission with plenty of scriptural backing.

**HIGHLIGHTS**

Introduction:
"God designed us to know life's greatest fulfillment through losing ourselves in the service of purposes higher than self-sati
Lincoln Forlong
Dec 24, 2014 Lincoln Forlong rated it it was amazing
This is a fine read, wrtten in everyday language, that inspires both husbands and wives to avale themselves of God's resources for a life long satisfying and fulfilling marriage.
The Chapells do an excellent job of explaining the God designed roles for husband and wife. Their many biblical explanations are accurate to Scripture while being accompanied by relative real life examples.
This book is a profitable read, encouraging yet challenging. I highly recomend this book to all married couples! The
Robert Murphy
Sep 17, 2013 Robert Murphy rated it liked it
Shelves: library, marriage
This is a good book for a particular audience. Is you are a conservative Christian, you will enjoy this book. I think, however, as a conservative Christian, that marriage is for everyone, not just Christians. As the institution of marriage changes all around us, it is Italy important that Christians consider the broad context and be able to articulate a view of marriage that outsiders can understand. This book will not help you do that.

It may also be a cultural issue. My Bible Belt friends like
Greg Baughman
Jan 05, 2013 Greg Baughman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book for the married couple. Well nuanced theologically, and as one would expect from Chapell, well illustrated and pastoral. This is a great read for married couples and those about to be married. For the single person wanting to read a book about marriage, I would recommend Tim Keller's The Meaning of Marriage: Finding Happiness in Your Most Profound Relationship. For a fuller review of "Each for the Other" follow this link.
Kenneth
Jun 25, 2012 Kenneth rated it it was amazing
This is a great little book on marriage and parenting. It basically is an exposition of Ephesians 5:25-6:4. It looks at the role of a husband, then wife, and finally children and parents. It was very nicely written and reads quickly but packs a lot of great information and would really help one begin forming a theology of marriage and parenting.
Publisher: Baker Books
Bibliography/Recommended reading: no
Persons
RGM
Jul 16, 2011 RGM rated it it was amazing
A clear and cogent case for biblical marriage, Each for the Other provides a solid glimpse of how marriage should be--husbands and wives serving each other, each laying down his or her life for the other. Chapell offers a solid antidote to the increasingly popular sentiment in our culture that disparages the roles of men and women in marriage and blurs the distinction between the two. If you want to know how to have a joyful, God-honoring marriage, read this book!
Kate
Sep 25, 2011 Kate rated it it was amazing
I hear the authors present this material at a marriage conference at our church. It was singularly the best discussion of headship and submission that I've ever heard; in short, that headship is the use of authority in service to another, and that submission is the exercise of all of one's gifts for the completion of another. I think this is my favorite book on marriage I've read.
J. Alfred
Mar 15, 2011 J. Alfred rated it liked it
This was a good one, though it was oddly written: the syntax was all over the place and the illustrations Chappel uses are out of control. It was like hearing a long, sort of deafening sermon. There is good stuff in it, however, specifically about what it means to be the "head" of a marriage in a biblically honoring way.
Erika
Source: Marriage and Family class at Moody
Response: Much more text-booky than Love and Respect, which was good, but took a little longer to read. Focused very nicely on the ultimate reason for loving and respecting your spouce: because God says to, not so they’ll do the same back.
Laurie
Jan 08, 2009 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't finish this one -- I read the chapters on expectations for husbands and wives but thought I'd skip the chapters on family for now. I found it a bit dry but sound and grounded in Scripture.
Gavin Breeden
Apr 16, 2011 Gavin Breeden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-books
Great book on marriage that takes our sinfulness and the joys of marriage seriously. I feel like I'd benefit from reading it once a year. Also, tons of great sermon illustrations in here.
Kayla
Jun 11, 2009 Kayla rated it really liked it
My husband and I had to read this book for our before marriage counciling and it is an amazing book. It does a great job of explaining what marriage is supposed to be.
Kevin
Mar 14, 2012 Kevin rated it really liked it
A challenge to husbands and wives to live their lives sacrificially for the other.
Plunk
Dec 29, 2011 Plunk rated it really liked it
A great reformed treatment on how to and not to love on another.
Jan
Jul 18, 2008 Jan rated it it was ok
good information, but it wasn't lively enough to keep my attention.
Courtney
Apr 19, 2008 Courtney rated it really liked it
A wonderful insight to couples about to be marrid.
Luke
Oct 08, 2009 Luke rated it it was amazing
Great book on Godly marriage.
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Cynthia DeWitt-Kiker
Cynthia DeWitt-Kiker marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Katie Antilley
Katie Antilley marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Adedeji Emmanuel
Adedeji Emmanuel marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Casey
Casey is currently reading it
May 12, 2016
Audrey Jost
Audrey Jost marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Tracy
Tracy is currently reading it
May 03, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Stacie Shipman
Stacie Shipman rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
  • The Mystery of Marriage: Meditations on the Miracle
  • The Intimate Marriage
  • Before You Say "I Do"
  • God of Promise: Introducing Covenant Theology
  • Marriage Matters: Extraordinary Change through Ordinary Moments
  • The Marriage Builder
  • How to Read the Bible through the Jesus Lens: A Guide to Christ-Focused Reading of Scripture
  • Intimate Allies
  • Sex, Romance, and the Glory of God: What Every Christian Husband Needs to Know
  • Love That Lasts: When Marriage Meets Grace
  • When Sinners Say "I Do": Discovering the Power of the Gospel for Marriage
  • Sacred Marriage Participant's Guide: What If God Designed Marriage to Make Us Holy More Than to Make Us Happy?
  • Sex and the Supremacy of Christ
  • Strengthening Your Marriage
  • Fit to Be Tied: Making Marriage Last a Lifetime
  • Standing on the Promises
  • The Complete Husband: A Practical Guide to Biblical Husbanding
  • Ministries of Mercy: The Call of the Jericho Road
Bryan Chapell is the president of Covenant Theological Seminary in St. Louis, Missouri, the denominational seminary of the Presbyterian Church in America. He began teaching at Covenant in 1984 after ten years in pastoral ministry. Chapell has a BSJ from Northwestern University, an MDiv from Covenant Theological Seminary, and a PhD in speech communication from Southern Illinois University Carbondal ...more
More about Bryan Chapell...