Start by marking “The Blue Ghost (A Stepping Stone Book)” as Want to Read:
The Blue Ghost (A Stepping Stone Book)

The Blue Ghost (Ghost)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Liz is staying with her grandmother in her old house in the woods of northern Minnesota when one night a noise awakens her. It is someone calling her name, calling for Elizabeth. Liz opens her eyes. There is a blue ghost in her room! What does the ghost want from her?
This exciting mystery by Newbery Honor writer Marion Dane Bauer is perfect for first chapter-book readers.
Published August 8th 2006 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blue Ghost

Cheryl Wright
1. Genre: Modern Fantasy
2. Summary: While staying at her grandma’s house, Liz is visited by a blue ghost who calls out her name. Liz finally notices that the blue ghost is that of a woman. She later learns that the women’s daughter, who is also named Elizabeth, needs Liz’s help finding a way to keep her baby brother alive after he develops croup.
3. Critique:
(a.) Setting
(b.) The story takes place at Liz’s grandmother log cabin, which is where her grandmother grew up. In fact, the house has been
Annabeth Stone
i loved this book! I read it so many times!
Dolly
Mar 13, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is one of four colorful Ghost stories written by Marion Dane Bauer. We recently read The Green Ghost and our oldest really liked it, so we put the others on hold.

This tale involves a family who passes down the name Elizabeth through the generations of baby girls and the cabin in which many of them lived most of their lives. The youngest Elizabeth visits the cabin one last time with her grandmother and discovers more about her family history than she ever expected. This was a very entertain
Stacy Nyikos
It’s another Kindle e-book ghost book! I have a theory that there are certain movies that have perfect screening locations. For instance, Jurassic Park should be seen at a drive in theater in the middle of a forest (which I did in Ohio back in the 1990s). In that same vein, I think ghost books go well with the e-reader format. Words seem to float in nothingness, like ghosts.
Format aside, Bauer’s short tale of a girl helping her ancestors in a crunch via the guidance of a blue ghost is a succin
Charlotte Hood odom
THE BLUE GHOST by Marion Dane Bauer was the perfect book for this upcoming day. In this story, Liz is visiting the family cabin with her grandmother. The cabin has been in the family for at least four generations and now Gran feels that she needs to sell the cabin because of her age and the location of the cabin from her home in the city. While there, Liz hears voices and a baby crying on the other side of the wall. She is also visited by a blue ghost who is urging her to walk through the wall t ...more
Gabby Edwardo
it was a good book if you are in to ghosts.
Heather B.
The Blue Ghost is a mystery title that is also heart felt. Liz is helping her Grandmother pack up her house because she is moving out, but her family has lived in the house for generations. Their is enough action and fast paced to keep the reader interested, because the main character Liz, see a ghost at night calling her name and she is also transported to another time to see her great great grandmother in the same house. The relationship between Liz and her Grandmother is natural, endearing an ...more
Tara
Jul 12, 2008 Tara rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2nd graders
Liz accompanies her grandmother to close up the Minnesota lake cabin that has been in their family for generations. While getting the cabin ready to sell, Liz (named Elizabeth like 5 generations of women before her) hears an eerie voice calling her name.

When the Blue Ghost appears, Liz is not scared but instead very curious. Liz finds that if she closes her eyes and tries very hard she can walk through the wall! She finds herself in the past, with the first Elizabeth whose father built the cabi
Books Kids Like
Liz (Elizabeth) goes to help Gran pack up the ancestral cabin in preparation for selling it. Gran claims that Liz is her guardian angel and tells her that all of the Elizabeths through the ages are meant to be guardian angels to each other. This makes sense as a blue ghost appears to Liz and leads her from the modern-day cabin into the cabin of the past where she helps another Elizabeth save her baby brother's life. A mild, charming ghost story for young readers with realistic illustrations that ...more
Brenda
3.5 stars. This would be a great beginning chapter book for kids interested in ghost stories. It's not too scary, either.
DJ
Even though I am an adult, but I still enjoy YA/Children stories. I thoroughly enjoyed this little gem. It is about a young girl that reaches her ancestors while staying at her grandmother's family log cabin. It is a nice little heartwarming ghost story (really more like a guardian angel vs. scary ghost). If I had young children, this is the story I would read with them because it can raise some questions the child may have about my family history and learn about stories being passed on. I am lo ...more
Amy
I like the way this series is formatted. The words are written with nice font size and spacing and line spacing for an early chapter book. The books are page turners so it helps the feeling of getting through the chapter books.

B. (age 9.5) said: It was good but I thought it needed a little more story -- more pages to the book because I wanted to know more about selling the house. Other than that I thought the book was very cool because I am starting to like books about ghosts.
W.H. Beck
Rosa
the blue ghost what can i say? i know it was the best book i ever read because that story was the story my teacher read to me when i was in 4th grade. i remember only a little of it because it was so long i remember that the ghost apears and only the little girl could see her.
Kim
If you enjoy a good mystery, you'll enjoy this one. Liz meets a blue ghost while helping her grandmother prepare the family cabin for sale. The blue ghost calls to her every night and Liz must figure out what the ghost wants and how to follow her through the wall.
Pam
This book was warm hearted but also exciting! It is a great way to introduce your child to family history and the importance of family stories and mementoes. Since the main character is a girl, it will be better received by girls.
Mary Duvernay
A story is about Liz, a young girl, travels to the past led by a blue ghost.
The blue ghost is her great - great - great grandmother Elizabeth. Liz saves her baby, cousin with the croups. It is an entertaining time travel adventure.
Morgan
I read this Monday evening. It was an easy read (only on a second grade level) and was a well-rounded juvenile ghost story. I would recommend it to girls that want to read a ghost story that isn't exactly scary, but intriguing.
Molly
For a scary book for a very young child these ghost stories by Bauer are great! This is a great family history struggle strong woman and ghost story. The cover is great and will be great for the first chapter book reader. Grades 3+
Heather
A SSYRA 2008-2009 book for Grades 3-5 - It was an easy reader book, so I would think 1st grade or even ESE students could read this one. It's not scary, so even the most timid readers could get through it. Cute little story.
Annie
if i could give this 0 stars.. i would. i read this in 3rd grade, and i still remembr how awful it was. a horror of a book.. hahaha get it? blue ghost= HORROR of a book
:) im so funny
Lynne
This is a young child's book. I didn't realize this when I selected it to read. However, it is a fun book for a young child and is not scary. Introduces them to mysteries.
Hannah
Oct 05, 2008 Hannah rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves or likes Ghosts
Recommended to Hannah by: My mom
THis Book was ok. I didn't like it that much for 2 resons:\
-I do not like ghosts
- The purpose was to entertain but it was not so entertaining
Janaki
This is another book I liked, and it certanly is next to the Red Ghost. Both of them are so awesome to read! I love, love, love mystery books!
Anthonym
this is a mystery book i like because the old family had one girl and four boys. this is a serys i have aleady read the first one the red ghost.
Marcia
Jun 20, 2009 Marcia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: grades 1-3, historical fiction
Shelves: grades-1-3
A nice choice for beginning independent readers. Not scary or a mystery really, more of a family history.
Charlie Beck
A girl staying at her grandmother's cabin receives visits from a distant ancestor. Transitional.
Jessica V
This was a good book. I dont really remember much of it though, cause I read it in like 5th grade.
Ina Hummel
this was a fast read but recommend it for kids who have trouble reading 6 to 9 years.
Chelsea
A very good book if you only if you have a certin amout of days to finish it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Jake Drake, Class Clown
  • Rich: A Dyamonde Daniel Book
  • Iris and Walter
  • The Charmed Bracelet (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective Graphic Novels, #7)
  • Going, Going, Gone! with the Pain and the Great One
  • Ellie McDoodle: Best Friends Fur-Ever
  • Great-Grandpa's in the Litter Box (The Zack Files #1)
  • Hoofbeats of Danger (American Girl History Mysteries, #2)
  • Monster Mash (Babymouse, #9)
  • The Fenway Foul-Up (Ballpark Mysteries, #1)
  • Ghosts!: Ghostly Tales from Folklore
  • Return to Ithaca (Tales from the Odyssey, #5)
  • Wizard at Work
  • Shoeshine Girl
  • Cinderella
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Pick the Pears
  • The Ghost Sitter
  • The Legend of Spud Murphy
Marion Dane Bauer is the author of more than eighty books for young people, ranging from novelty and picture books through early readers, both fiction and nonfiction, books on writing, and middle-grade and young-adult novels. She has won numerous awards, including several Minnesota Book Awards, a Jane Addams Peace Association Award for RAIN OF FIRE, an American Library Association Newbery Honor Aw ...more
More about Marion Dane Bauer...
Am I Blue?: Coming Out from the Silence On My Honor Toes, Ears, & Nose!: A Lift-the-Flap Book Runt Land of the Buffalo Bones: The Diary of Mary Ann Elizabeth Rodgers, An English Girl in Minnesota (Dear America)