Start by marking “Ghost Cadet” as Want to Read:
Ghost Cadet

Ghost Cadet

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  334 ratings  ·  48 reviews
While spending his summer vacation at his grandmother's old Virginia home, Benjy Stark meets the ghost of a Virginia Military Institute cadet who died at the Battle of New Market during the Civil War. Reprint. AB.
Published May 1st 1992 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published May 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Cadet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Cadet

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottThe Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George SpeareThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Best Children's Historical Fiction
402nd out of 501 books — 568 voters
Always a River by Todd Allen HendersonThe Battle of New Market by William C. DavisThe Killer Angels by Michael ShaaraThe Lords of Discipline by Pat ConroyVirginia Military Institute Alumni in the Civil War by Richard M. McMurry
Best Books About VMI
9th out of 65 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Mark
Jan 31, 2008 Mark rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Elementary or Middle School students
Shelves: our-favorites
Shally Clark
After learning about Civil War history from his teacher, Benji is visited by a ghost named Cadet Willima Hugh McDowell. Thie encountering happens because before the cadet's death, he lost an old family watch at which he needs in order to be able to stop haunting the battle field where he died. The cadet was originally killed at the battle of New Market over one hundred years prior which makes it even harder for Benji to help his new friend. Benji has not been depended on for anything and he is s ...more
Tara
This book was a typical 5th grade chapter book. It is a book on grade level, that several of my students have read. I enjoyed reading this book. It was about the civil war, but spoke about it in a fun way that sort of hid the content within the summary of the book. The book began by explaining the way the family was, there was a little boy and his older sister who used to get along but now that she was older they just fought all of the time. I think a lot of students could initially relate to th ...more
Shane
My biggest issue with this children's story was that interspersed was a large amount of pro-Southern viewpoints that are often espoused by apologists. Miss Leota, the matriarch of the story, talked about topics such as the aggression of the North, the greatness of Southern leader Stonewall Jackson, and how Southerners were in the war mainly to defend their homes and possessions. This may all be true to an extent, but the story does not talk about other pressing issues, such as the brutality of s ...more
Carol
This is the second book I have read by Elaine Alphin that involves a young boy, a ghost, and a mystery to solve from the civil war. Why would an author write two such similar stories? This was her first book. Young Benjy is more amenable to being involved in solving a problem for a ghost than the subject of the other Alphin novel. Benjy needs a friend and is ready at this time in his life to reach out and do things that require effort and bravery. The second book covers more historical informati ...more
Stephanie
A wonderful historical fiction story for fourth or fifth graders. It is about a young boy named Benjy who visits his grandmother in Virginia. He meets the ghost of a Virginia Military Institute cadet who was killed in the Battle of New Market in 1864 and helps him recover his family's treasured gold watch.

Activity- Field trip to New Market Battlefield where you can see the name of the fallen cadet that the story was written about.
Readers Theatre for one of the last chapters in the book where t
Cristina
Read this when I was a young teen, at least 3 times. Loved it!!!
Terra Hatvol
Very easy read, but nice enough.
Hamza Ali
Goooooooooooood
Parkslea0
One day benjy went on a trip to see a family member and he saw a tree shaking and it was not windy and nobody was there so Benjy went to the tree and he said is anyone there no one answerd him so he went home when he was getting ready for bed he heard someone singing so he looked out of his window and no one was there so he wen t to sleep.When he woke up he ate breakfeast and went to the same tree and it was not shaking anymore so
Jalen Flores
The Ghost Cadet is a tale that's told well enough to make readers want to read it again. It's about a boy named Benjy who discovers a ghost killed in battle while serving his country. The two become very close in the story about friendship and loyalty. When telling "buddy" stories, we can't always have the friends getting along. If they, especially if they see each other every day, the story stops being believable.
Spencer
Apr 12, 2010 Spencer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everybody
Recommended to Spencer by: My teacher
This is one of the best books I have ever read. In fact, you could just say that. This book sucked me inside and I couldn't stop reading.
Anybody that is reading this I recommend you read it. I promise you that you will like every word in this book and that you will not regret reading this book. YOU HEAR ME!?!! READ THIS AMAZING BOOK!!!!!!!!!!
Kristin
This book is probably THE reason why I love historical fiction as much as I do. It is one of the only books I have read more than once, and I would pick it up again as an adult in an instant. It just started my interest in all things history and got me addicted to buying bargain books with my money as a child!
Mary Bronson
I first read this book in the 5th grade and it was such a great book. The characters and plot were both very well written. This book was read after "Shades of Gray". This is the other book that got me into reading historical fiction and started the spark for loving history.
Destiny
Oct 20, 2010 Destiny marked it as to-read
i read this book in like 5th grade i think this book is amazing i love how everything he was trying to say turned out to be exactly true that is why that booko has to be one my favorite books i would read this book again if i had the chance
Jennifer Ramirez
I liked reading this book because it's scary, but not that scary. I liked how a young boy that was going to spend his vacation with his grandmother ends up becoming friends with a ghost and helping him find what he's been seeking for.
Aaron
Feb 01, 2011 Aaron rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kids, Parents
Recommended to Aaron by: School Library
This was one of my favorite books as a kid. Unfortunately it's going out of copyright and out of publication but I have a copy now. I couldn't stop reading this book as a kid. I still enjoy it as an adult.
Rachel
I loved it! I read it in my 5th grade english class and it has stuck with me! I think I loved it so much, because the setting of the book is in New Market, Va. Which is about 20 mins from my house! :)
Josie
This book is very good. A boy needs to help a ghost find his watch. Without the watch, the ghost cannot be at the ceremony for the Civil War, which is how the ghost died. How will they ever find it?
Katherine
This book put a lot of facts about the Civil War into it and it made it actually kind of interesting but at the same time it added the whole ghost thing and made it even more interesting.
Susan
For a kid's book, this was pretty good. It snuck in some interesting history in the midst of an interesting mystery. It got solved a little too easily, but still, not a bad read.
Julie
My 4th grade teacher read this to us during class...I could never remember the title (since it was forever ago, lol) so I'm glad to have found it!
Millejos18
this is a book that you will want to read its about a boy named Benjy he has to live with his dads mom thoughthey are divorsed it i
Tatra
This is one of my favorite books, I try to read it every October. It's just a fun ghost story, but it's also a fun coming of age story.
Katherine
This was my FAVORITE book when I was younger. I first read it when I was 9, and I probably read it 10 times before I was 12.
steph
A childhood favorite that I hunted down a few years ago to read. Worth the hunt. It was still as enjoyable as I remembered.
Beth
This is a terrific book for 5th graders set at VMI and The Civil War Battle of New Market. Great Virginia history!
Carlos
i really liked this book back in the forth grade do you guys remember this book if so comment if you remember.
Niki Alvey
Read this book because my 10yo read it for a book report and really liked it. I did too.
Fenixbird SandS
Oct 03, 2007 Fenixbird SandS marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Children/Government/History interested individuals
Recommended to the 7th grade government class I am currentl;y observing by instructor.
  • The Ghost Wore Gray (Nina Tanleven, #2)
  • Following the Mystery Man
  • Baby-Sitting Is a Dangerous Job
  • George Washington's Socks
  • Paint by Magic
  • The Second Bend in the River
  • Gib Rides Home (Gib, #1)
  • Amazing You: Getting Smart About Your Private Parts
  • Molly's Pilgrim
  • Among the Dolls
  • The Riddle of Penncroft Farm
I was born on 30 October 1955 in San Francisco, California, and attended Lafayette Elementary School in San Francisco. Then my family moved to New York City, where I attended William H. Carr Junior High School. This is a school picture of me from my junior high school days. After that we moved to Houston, and I went to Westchester High School and on to Rice University.
More about Elaine Marie Alphin...
Counterfeit Son The Perfect Shot Ghost Soldier Picture Perfect Simon Says