Start by marking “Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Ads” as Want to Read:
Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Ads

Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Ads

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  1,709 ratings  ·  105 reviews
In this second edition of the irreverent, celebrated "Hey Whipple, Squeeze This," master copywriter Luke Sullivan looks at the history of advertising, from the good to the bad to the ugly. Updated to include two extended final chapters with in-depth prescriptions for building a career in advertising, this edition also features a real-world look at the day-to-day operations ...more
Published April 15th 2003 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This

Kressel Housman
Now that I'm reading another book on how to break into the ad copy business, I appreciate this one all the more. The one I'm reading now is called The Well-Fed Writer: Financial Self-Sufficiency As a Freelance Writer in Six Months or Less, and it reads like a hyped-up get-rich-quick book for writers. Hey Whipple, Squeeze This was much more informative, and it was funny. The author illustrates his points about good advertising with concrete examples from print ads, radio scripts, etc., explaining ...more
Tom Whalley
I've been considering a career change; thanks to talking to a few people involved in the ad game, apparently I've been setting myself up for working as a copywriter for years already without knowing it. After reading this book, I completely agree; this sounds like it is so far up my alley I don't know how I didn't trip over it stumbling out of my terrible apartment in this hypothetical world where I live in a terrible apartment and jobs are physical things that can trip you as you leave the alle ...more
Tracy Zollinger
Apr 25, 2012 Tracy Zollinger is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading this for a copywriting class, so I'm skipping around to different chapters, but I'm really enjoying it. Sullivan's writing is clever and sometimes genuinely funny. There's great advice in here for writers and creative professionals of any stripe who want to stop procrastinating or need to take themselves less (or more) seriously.
Dave
Mar 07, 2009 Dave rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every ad writer
Recommended to Dave by: Dan Haag
The copywriter's bible. The best how-to book on making ads ever written. By the guy who understands connecting a simple thought to a human truth in a headline better than anyone.
Ryan Deer
Outstanding read for anyone in or looking to be in the advertising industry. Entertaining and informative!
Adam Brandt
The short cut to Mad Men! Love it!
Friends of  Linebaugh Library
Yes, I know its an advertising book and you may not have any interest in reading it if you are not in this field, BUT I loved it! You might be surprised at what you learn about the most popular ad campaigns from the 20th century. Luke Sullivan is an exceptional advertiser and writer who writes the way he speaks. I'd recommend this book to anyone in advertising, marketing and business or just looking for a good read. Reads almost like a novel, except it's a How-to mixed with memoir and it's full ...more
Martin Kurniadi
I'd say this particular book is the most important tool for copywriters to read. When I was just a gloomy hot-blooded youth searching for something I really love, I stumbled into this book and eventually learn the essential and necessary world of advertising.

This book taught me aptly with such precision that can be described as a mark of a marksman, to hit the target audience sneakily from behind, where they least expect it. In this book, I saw many great ads and what lies behind it - the gut-pu
Raina
Wes Locher
Sullivan's "Whipple" threw me headfirst into the world of advertising with little to no prior knowledge. Currently studying copywriting, this book was recommended to me to help me grasp the larger scope of the advertising business.

The book takes a light hearted approach to the advertising industry, full of jokes and insider info from the author, who has worked in the agency world for quite some time.

Sullivan not only helps you understand how to break in but also gives you insider information fro
Anya
Maybe I've been watching too much "Mad Men" lately, but I decided to take a copywriting class, and our teacher chose this as our primary textbook. I'm so glad she did. "Hey Whipple" is a brilliant resource for anyone with an interest in breaking into the advertising industry.

Sullivan's a man with a mission: to teach writers how to craft ads that are effective and benefit-driven, while also creative, witty, and elegant. His humor and humanity shine through constantly, and he provides lots of exam
Definitely better as a reference book than a one-shot read.

The writing doesn't have linear flow. Instead, the book is broken into hundreds of paragraphs with creative or descriptive headings. These paragraphs may or may not relate to what the chapter title implied would be 'taught' in that chapter.

A good read if you're looking for creative inspiration or tips to get into the business.
Melita
Aug 31, 2009 Melita rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Arts and media students who are eyeing jobs in advertising.
Recommended to Melita by: This blog writer from Brand DNA wrote for Whip column in htttp:/
It's enjoyable! Reads almost like a novel, except it's a How-to mixed with memoir. I keep moving on from this chapter to that chapter, not really following from page 1 to the end. Just grabbed the chapters Im really interested in. I learnt a lot of the inside workings of advertising industry: it's quite interesting reading about stereotypes on difficult types of people in the advertisement industry, although presumably these people exist in any other industry too (and presumably it's not interes ...more
Cecily Robertson
Five star "text book." I always rank school books/text books on a different scale. This is by far the best book I've ever read on advertising. I didn't read it for school; I read it because I heard it was a really helpful read for anyone pursuing a career in advertising. Not only was this book helpful, it was also hilarious. I rarely mark in books. Normally I feel like it devalues them, but I couldn't help it in this book. I had my three highlighters sitting by my side each time I sat down to re ...more
Indigoaalane
Pigem õpik algajale reklaamiagentuuri töötajale. iseenesest on põnev lugeda- kohati humoorikas, palju on näiteid jne. Aga mul on raske võtta neutraalselt juhiseid selle kohta, kuidas paremini manipuleerida ja kuidas kliendid ja tellijad on ikka nii lollid ja üldse ei saa aru, milline on õige reklaam..
Andy
Some interesting, informative, and fun anecdotes about advertising, but you can tell from the writing style that Sullivan is an ad man. He seems to be allergic to sentences that use more than a dozen or so words. Somewhat off-putting after a while.
Tarik
A good book for people who like to distill information. Has some great examples. The end of the book goes into long detail about the day to day life in an ad agency. Not quite as interesting as the first part.

Murshidul
A must-read book for anyone interested in the advertising/marketing industry. Talks about how to build rapport with clients, things essential for a TV, print, radio adverts. Also, the skills needed and diversity within the industry
Brad
There's two ways to look at this book. You can say it's outdated because the advertising landscape has drastically changed in the past 12 years. Or you can say that it doesn't matter because an art form's foundation never changes. I lean towards the latter. Here's a perfect example from p. 85:

"I don't think people read body copy. I think we've entered a frenzied era of coffee-guzzling, fax sending channel surfers who honk the microsecond the light turns green and have the attention span of a fla
Sonnie Bradley
THE book to read if you're curious about the advertising industry. An easy read, with pictures and tons of advice.
Luke Vijay
Pretty much THE book on advertising.

Funny, insightful, lots of great examples.
Onprac
Great little book on advertising. You'll laugh, you'll cry and it'll really make you think about just what kind of industry you're getting into. If you have any interest in advertising (or you're in school for it) read this now!

I have no idea what this "2nd edition" is all about since the current edition has the black cover. The current edition is also updated with trends and quirks from the new age of advertising.
Ps Chua
Mar 25, 2015 Ps Chua rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Tose intending to dive into the business of advertising or are fresh in the industry.
Recommended to Ps by: Some podcast
A very comprehensive book for all there is to know about advertising. Superbly ideal for those intending to dive into the business of advertising or are fresh in the industry.
The book provides clear insights on all advertising channels ranging from digital to radio. The author uses a deep dive approach for each chapter as he discusses each channels and things to know about advertising. Each chapter is very lengthy, full of useful pieces of knowledge. The author's exceptional humour makes for a v
columbialion
Copywriter Sullivan is honest and funny in his advice and commentary on modern advertising. His "real time" approach gives aspiring ad men concrete insights in both what to expect from clients, CD's and account men.
He offers real insights into what is essential in developing good ad imagery and copy, and more importantly what makes great ad messaging. As a freelance CW, I found this book to be a tremendous help and inspiration.
Rosmi
Great book, I've read many that contain so much jargon I'm googling every second word to try and understand what is being said. This book is really helpful for me as an advertising student as it tells me what I should and shouldn't be doing. There are many quotes from other writers too so you get a real understanding and perspective of good advertising. It's an entertaining book too and definitely not a boring one.
Shana
I don't work in advertising, but I read this book because I thought it would be more on the psychology of influencing people than on the basics of brainstorming. There were some clever ads analyzed, but my favorite part of the book was in the beginning with the author reminiscing how much he was irritated by certain tv spots. I think this book would be better for someone in the advertising business.
Ikarus
Der Buchtitel ist leider nicht wirklich beschreibend, daher nur 2 Sterne Bewertung für mich in meiner jetzigen Situation. Eigentlich hätte das Buch wahrscheinlich 5 Sterne verdient, wenn es heißen würde "Tipps wie man in einer Werbeagentur arbeiten kann". Ich dachte es würde mir bei der Konzeption von Google Ads und den Werbetexten auf unserer Webseite helfen, das tut es leider nicht.
Theresa Liao
I admit that I am reading this book as a textbook for my copywriting class. However, the book was very well written (and funny!). It provided graet insights into the advertising industry as well as the creative process. A fun read even for those not in copywriting and advertising (I think I would have liked this book even if I weren't taking the copywriting course).
Anthony
This is an excellent book on advertising. There are tons of examples of great ads (as well as some that aren't that great) plus a well-informed look at the industry and relevant trends that are driving the future of advertising. Chapter 12 is worth the price of the entire book all by itself if you're looking to break into advertising or marketing!
Mo Tipton
I would go so far as to say that even if you don't have an interest in advertising, you'll still find this book to be an enjoyable read. Sullivan writes as if he's having a conversation, and he's absolutely hilarious, so the end product is a highly readable book that also happens to be a treasure trove of copywriting information.
  • Cutting Edge Advertising: How to Create the World's Best for Brands in the 21st Century
  • Truth, Lies, and Advertising: The Art of Account Planning
  • D&AD: The Copy Book
  • Advertising: Concept and Copy
  • Tested Advertising Methods
  • Where the Suckers Moon: The Life and Death of an Advertising Campaign
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding: How to Build a Product or Service Into a World-Class Brand
  • A Technique for Producing Ideas
  • The Creative Process Illustrated: How Advertising's Big Ideas Are Born
  • Lovemarks
  • Sorry for the lobsters
  • The Art of Writing Advertising: Conversations with Masters of the Craft: David Ogilvy, William Bernbach, Leo Burnett, Rosser Reeves,
Thirty Rooms to Hide In: Insanity, Addiction, and Rock 'n' Roll in the Shadow of the Mayo Clinic Satan Reklam Yaratmak The Get a Job Workshop. Creative Careers; How to Find your Way to a Creative Career in Advertising, Branding, Collateral, Digital, Experimental and More. The Season of Giving? The Effects of Christmas on the Giving and Receiving of Gifts

“Advertising is what happens on TV when people go to bathroom.” 0 likes
“A brand is the sum total of all the emotions, thoughts, images, history, possibilities, and gossip that exist in the marketplace about a certain company.” 0 likes