Start by marking “The Forsyte Saga: In Chancery” as Want to Read:
The Forsyte Saga: In Chancery

The Forsyte Saga: In Chancery (The Forsyte Saga #2)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  473 ratings  ·  33 reviews
The three novels which make up The Forsyte Saga chronicle the ebbing social power of the commerical upper-middle class Forsyte family between 1886 and 1920. Soames Forsyte is the brilliantly portrayed central figure, a Victorian who outlives the age, and whose baffled passion for his beautiful but unresponsive wife Irene reverberates throughout the saga. Written with both ...more
Published March 1st 1996 by G K Hall & Co (first published January 1st 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Forsyte Saga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forsyte Saga

Kim

I loved the first book in the Forsyte Saga so much that I went straight on to listen to #2. Once again, I enjoyed every moment of the audiobook which is superbly narrated by one of my otherwise least favourite narrators, the late David Case. His voice is a perfect match for Galsworthy's writing. The wonderful prose, the great characters, the biting satire, the evocative depiction of middle class England at the dawn of the 20th century all combine to make this a novel an absolute treat. I think o
David
Soames, the "man of property" wants a son. But it's been 12 years since his wife, Irene, left him - and since he didn't pursue divorce proceedings immediately when she did, and she has remained alone, getting a divorce now is not a simple matter. And, when he meets her again, he still finds her bewitching. More to the point (in Soames's mind), she is still his property, and she has done him a grave wrong. (Never mind that he raped her in Volume 1 - he doesn't see it that way).

Things aren't going
K.M. Weiland
I enjoyed this second novel (third installment) in the series much better than the first one. In part, this is because Galsworthy has advanced beyond some of his more indulgent narrative techniques. But mostly it is because the characters' development has deepened considerably. Also, I admit to finding their reactions *to* the events of the first book much more interesting than the first book itself.
maven
A continuation of the Forsyte Chronicles, I think I liked this one a little bit less than The Man of Property, but it was still enjoyable. I missed some of the characters from the previous book, but there was still plenty of drama to keep things interesting. I do wish there were more of Irene's perspective, rather than treating her as a thing of beauty and not a whole person (which I think was one of Virginia Woolf's criticisms of these books).

This series continues to be a bit of a guilty pleasu
Victoria Evangelina Belyavskaya

~THE VOID OF LIFE~
The Forsyte Saga, Book Two

A man in search of warmth he can call his own; a man in search for stability he can rely upon, a man in search of an heir who will stand strong in his spot when the time comes. The genius of this book is not merely in its flowing and charming language; not only in the depth of such familiar and common to all of us emotions of love and hate, jealousy and fear that Galsworthy paints; it is in its honesty. Have you had the feeling when you cannot stay in
Scott
This second (of nine) installments of Galsworthy's the Forsyte Chronicles continues the strong characterization and plotting with beautiful writing and deft comedy of the first novel. It doesn't quite rise to the level of the first novel, but is very enjoyable. The interlude following captured the essence of a childhood summer with the same skill that the interlude following the first novel captured the experience of an elderly man in his last summer. Amazing breadth of writing ability to so won ...more
Courtney H.
This, the second book in the saga, might be my favorite of the three. Like the first, it started out slowly, which was a letdown after I finally got into A Man of Property and really liked the interlude story. But the novel built up speed, more quickly than the first did. The book picks up over a decade after the end of the first novel and interlude. The family dynamics have changed somewhat as the elderly first generation passes out of power and hands the reins to the second. The second generat ...more
Simon
The story has moved on. A decade or more in terms of the action and the characters, two decades for the writer. What made him come back to the Forsytes after leaving them so long as a single, very good and complete novel? Had it always been his intention to write a trilogy? Had he had enough time to reflect that he had struck literary gold with his cast, his overview, his dynamics?

This story starts slowly. Galsworthy has obviously decided by now that he has a rich seam to mine and we get far mor
Mary Beth
A terrific continuation of "The Man of Property", "In Chancery" details the Forsyte family saga from 1880-1920. Galsworthy covers everything from the personal family struggles with divorce to the death of Queen Victoria during an age of change in politics and personal freedoms. The dilemma of divorce is detailed addressing the social and legal implications during a time when it was rare to obtain one. The development of characters during such an emotional period was fantastic. Soames, normally s ...more
☯Emily
This is the second book in the Forsyte Saga and it is certainly more interesting and better written than the first one. We continue to read about the Forsyte family and their possessive ways. They are worshippers of mammon, their property. The men's property includes their wives and families.

Soames has been separated from his wife, Irene, for years. He decides he wants a son (never a daughter), to carry on the family name. He finds a young French girl who he thinks will fit the bill. However, h
Spencer
This is the second book in the Forsyte Saga. We see Soames Forsyte struggle with the decision whether to divorce (chancery) Irene Heron after a 12 year separation. You must follow the family tree in order to keep all the players straight, and doing that also reveals who marries who. This provides for some very interesting plot twists. This book skips from 1891 to 1890. The intervening years are summarized in just one chapter. The book ends in 1901. We witness the attitudes of turn-of-the-century ...more
Hazel
Soames begins to resent his self-imposed purgatory. The saga continues with family portraits, fathers and sons; James and Soames, Young Jolyon and Jolly. The Boer war touches the Forsytes.
He went blindly towards the window, struck against the old armchair - his father's - and sank down on to the arm of it. He sat there huddled forward, staring into the night. Gone out like a candle flame; far from home, from love, all by himself, in the dark! His boy! From a little chap always so good to him -
Afsana

I really enjoyed listening to this.

It was mainly about the situation between Soames and Irini and their transition from seperated to divorced. It also symobolised the change in the forsyte family. It also introduced the next generation

This volume showed the coldness and unfeeeling of soames in his decion making re who to save between his current wife annette and the yet to be born child. How property and family life play a more importance then human life. Though at the end we saw a glint of how
Olga
Повесть пообъемней. Фраза "в петле" повторяется главным героем Сомсом несколько раз. ОТ любви не убежишь, но у Собственника это не просто светлое чувство без оглядки на все вокруг, нет, это прежде всего осмысленные расчет и уважение устоев общества. Странно, но я все также сочувствую Сомсу. Он мне неприятен, но вместе с тем я понимаю его образ мыслей.
Ирэн - как всегда неотразима. Переживала за нее всем сердцем все это время. Но какая она мужественная! Она не может вызывать ничего кроме восхищени
Katya
Мы уже знаем что Форсайты собственники, что их семейный круг - это Форсайтская биржа, но мне кажется что именно в этой части мы видим что ничто человеческое им не чуждо, что они по-настоящему любят и переживают за своих близких и что на самом деле это во всех отношениях замечательное семейство!
Со времени событий первой части прошло 12 лет и мы видим как развивается семейство Форсайтов, а кроме того, мы лучше узнаем историю семьи. Очень советую тем, кто еще не читал!
Deanne
Finding it hard to put down the second installment of the Forsyte Saga, loved the character of Old Jolyon and thought the ending of the first book was beautiful.
As for young Jolyon, grew to love him and his branch of the family, and I'm interested in finding out what happens in the family as we travel down the generations. Think this means that I'll have to get my hands on the later books. Thank God for the library.
Lynne-marie
Sep 02, 2010 Lynne-marie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: reader's of Austen, Trollope, James
I am amazed how much Galsworthy packs into his novels. Admitting that his main aim is social portraiture of the generation of his father's era, he nevertheless creates characters and plots that have a reality to them of distinguished separateness. He is a master at bothe the tapestry and the miniature.
Katie
I gave up on this book. Mostly, it was because the reader of the audiobook was so awful. He read everything in a terrible monotone, and ready every syllable at the same pace. It was horrible. No audiobook should be recorded by a bad reader, especially not a book this long. Ugh.
Nadiarjam
A disappointing read following on from Part One. Still sow great characterisations, particularly of Soames, who mellows with age, but there's no story, no narrative to carry you along. It is more like a series of short stories.
A magnificent portrait of Old England and the Victorian age seen through the eyes of Soames, Irene and Young Jolyon, perfectly painted with Galsworthy's inimitable style.
Jean Kelly
Delightful 2nd volume of the saga - terrific portrait of British society around the time of the Boer War. Fun to see the generations grow and tell their own tales.
Katie
Another excellent installment in the Forsyte saga. It reads like a Victorian novel, written about people going through the increasing modernization of Britain.
Laurel Hicks
The second book in The Forsyte Saga is, if possible, even better than the first (A Man of Property). These people are so human!
Heather
Enjoyed this one just as much as the first. Looking forward to listening to the last book in the saga, "To Let".
Joni
an interesting examination of early English divorce laws and the lack of equal rights for women in general.
Sandy Bragg
Very much the sequel to Man of Property: further adventures of Soames and Irene with side plots of course.
Darryl
I love this writer and this series. This book was beautiful. You should all read this trilogy.
Sara
Yes, the saga continues. Galsworthy could really write, and it's funny, sad, and classy.
Steelmagnum
It was very good, I really liked the characters, they felt very real
  • Love Among the Haystacks (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics)
  • The Wife (Kristin Lavransdatter, #2)
  • Wessex Tales
  • The Old Maid: The 'Fifties (Modern Library Classics)
  • Lucia in London (Lucia, #2)
  • Monsieur
  • Claudine Married
  • Eating Mammals: Three Novellas
  • Sketches by Boz
  • The Collector of Worlds
  • And Where Were You, Adam?
  • The Rector's Daughter
  • Poetical Works
  • The Hidden Flower
  • The Duke's Children
  • Esther Waters
John Galsworthy was an English novelist and playwright whose literary career spanned the Victorian, Edwardian and Georgian eras.

In addition to his prolific literary status, Galsworthy was also a renowned social activist. He was an outspoken advocate for the women's suffrage movement, prison reform and animal rights. Galsworthy was the president of PEN, an organization that sought to promote intern
More about John Galsworthy...
The Forsyte Saga (The Forsyte Chronicles, #1-3) The Man of Property: The Forsyte Saga To Let: The Forsyte Saga The White Monkey (The Forsyte Saga) Indian Summer of a Forsyte