Start by marking “Jolly Old Santa Claus” as Want to Read:
Jolly Old Santa Claus

Jolly Old Santa Claus

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  56 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Based on a 1961 favorite, "Jolly Old Santa Claus" is now offered in a brand-new coloring book edition.
Published October 21st 2007 by Candy Cane Press (first published January 1st 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Jolly Old Santa Claus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jolly Old Santa Claus

Evan
This is the most beautiful Santa Claus book ever published. It must be. Published in 1961 by the Ideals company and featuring the paintings of George Hinke, this is one of those books that anyone from one to one hundred can become mesmerized by. Instant childhood. In fact, it's sort of legendary among baby boomers. And when it became scarce and the demand for its reissue grew some new publisher came out with a reprint and pissed everybody off. The paintings were altered, printed smaller, and thi ...more
Kathryn
Dec 21, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathryn by: Chandra--THANK YOU!!!
I thoroughly enjoyed the illustrations here although based on the reviews from people who have seen the ORIGINAL book this doesn't do justice to the true artwork. Even so, these pages are so vibrant and full of delightful details--I love looking at each busy elf and seeing what he is doing, the facial expressions are great--and it's stuff I would have just been ga-ga over as a kid, such as elves making cookies, elves making Christmas ornaments, etc. Santa is indeed jolly and kindly and Hinke's r ...more
Danielle
Dec 14, 2014 Danielle rated it really liked it
simple story but the art work is amazing. I love the old style santa stuff so this was a must have for me.
Blythee
Dec 14, 2014 Blythee rated it really liked it
The illustrations are beautiful. It was fun to search for the cat in the illustrated scenes.
Rosa
Dec 15, 2014 Rosa rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations. Great for children and grandparents too!
Anika
Nov 16, 2010 Anika rated it really liked it
Another recommendation for those trying to build their Christmas collection (Marilyn). I remember this book from my childhood and I LOVED the illustrations. I don't recall much about the story, just that I would spend 5 minutes per page studying each drawing. Every time I go through the book it takes me waaaay back and I hope to make it a part of my kid's Christmas memories. It is, of course, a Santa Claus book and not a Nativity Christmas story but I'm ok with some fun Santa stuff. You can make ...more
Rich
Jun 22, 2009 Rich rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
I bought this as a collector's edition because I love the story so much, but this edition, for me, just didn't hold the same joy as the one I grew up reading. Two reasons for this. The text was on the same page as the illustrations, which detracted from the beauty of the art and second, for a hardcover, "Collector's Edition" the paintings were actually SMALlER than the original soft cover that I had growing up.
Kimberly
May 28, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I love, love, love this Christmas Classic. I am writing this review in regards to the original Ideals hardcover version with the glorious unedited illustrations by George Hinke. It's the magnificent oil illustrations that brought the story to life. Love Santa and the Brownies (Elves).

We had a copy of the origingal when I was a kid.....I cherished that book and I wish I still had the original version.
Vicki
Apr 14, 2009 Vicki rated it it was amazing
This was my most favorite Christmas book as a child. I would read it over and over. It brought the essence of Christmas to my mind, and I learned to love the season within its pages. The love I felt from this story has stayed with me through adulthood, and even now as I read and ponder the birth of the Savior I will sometimes have flashes of an image or expression from this book. A classic in my mind.
Chelle Sparks-Jordan
Dec 15, 2010 Chelle Sparks-Jordan rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of the old fashioned things! This book is classic... And BEAUTIFUL! The illustrations almost make the book, but the sweet simple way it portrays Santa is incredible. This book took my toddler through all the things he needed to know with out being confused with the newer versions of Santa. Simple perfect!
Rich
Jun 20, 2009 Rich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every year my mother read this to me--I insisted on it. As I grew older, I loved not only the story, but the beautifully rendered paintings. As I grew older, I began reading this on my own, no matter what the season of year. I know own several editions of this, but this is my favorite.
Melissa
Beautifully illustrated story of Santa, Mrs Claus and the Elves getting ready for Christmas and having the satisfaction of a job well done the day after.
Kimberly
Feb 03, 2009 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
This is the best Christmas book ever!!
And it is very interactive; it would be great for a shared reading!
Becky
Dec 09, 2008 Becky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I love the whimsical illustrations depicting the elves and Santa Claus. A classic for all ages!
Jeff Anderson
Jun 22, 2013 Jeff Anderson rated it it was amazing
I read this every Christmas as a child. It is a great book.
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Terri McCarter
Terri McCarter rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Émilie Philibert
Émilie Philibert is currently reading it
Dec 10, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2015
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Zzj
Zzj marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Kathleen Hanson
Kathleen Hanson rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2015
Cathy S.
Cathy S. rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2015