Start by marking “What a Bad Dream (Little Critter)” as Want to Read:
What a Bad Dream (Little Critter)

What a Bad Dream (Little Critter)

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,063 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Published August 6th 1999 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about What a Bad Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What a Bad Dream

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussEli the Minnow and The Coral Cave Adventure by David L. SterlingThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Olivia by Ian Falconer
Childrens
82nd out of 108 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Tina
May 30, 2016 Tina added it
Recommends it for: Kids under eight
I read this to my seven-year-old niece while my husband added sound effects. My niece enjoyed the book. She is not necessarily prone to nightmare or bad dreams but she was telling me about a scary movie she saw recently & she worked to keep it from scaring her. This story was apropos since we talking about being scared and what to do to keep things light. I hope my husband & I created a memory for her while showing her how to bring on a smile when fear rears its ugly head.
Emma Daugherty
Feb 08, 2015 Emma Daugherty rated it really liked it
When I was a child I used to love "the little critter books" by Mercer Mayer. One of my absolute favorites was this one. The detailed water color paintings are fun for kids to look at. This book is simple and easy to read. It also teaches children a valuable lesson appreciation. Little critter realizes at the end of the book that sometimes we take adults and rules for granted and wish for things that aren't as great as they may seem.
Rosa Cline
Jan 22, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, bedtime
Little Critter falls asleep and starts to dream. He dreams he changes similar to Dr Jekle and Mr Hyde he enjoys his day to do what ever he wants and acts the way he wants. But then at the end of the day when he gets sleepy there is no one to read to him, to tuck him in and no one to love him. He wakes from his dream and his mom and dad are there reassuring him. A very nice story for children.
Brittany Binning
Apr 25, 2016 Brittany Binning rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mercer-mayer
This one would be a fun book to use if you ever discuss dreams. It would also be a good book to use to discuss how doing whatever you want isn't always as fun as you think it would be. That goes along the lines of what Little Critter dreamed about during this book.
Lexi
May 07, 2015 Lexi rated it really liked it
Shelves: mercer-mayer
Little Critter has a scary dream where he is the monster. He has to make a choice to help end his dream. A great book for any student who has a bad dream to remember that it isn't true and its only a dream.
Betsy
Jul 13, 2014 Betsy rated it liked it
Classic Mayer writing:

A Lesson will be taught
Interesting and detailed drawings
Cute Ending
Simple Read
Great Parents

Oh that little monster! he is always learning!
Celticoracle
Jul 17, 2014 Celticoracle rated it liked it
Shelves: mini-me
Mini-Me didn't seem to like this one as much as the other Little Critter books we've read.

Update - upgraded to three stars based on the number of re-read requests received.
The Brothers
Mar 06, 2016 The Brothers rated it liked it
Shelves: monsters, nightmares
Tyipcal Li'l Critter story with typical Li'l Critter illustrations.
Molly Lamson
Jan 12, 2015 Molly Lamson rated it it was ok
willie didnt like this one as much as other little critter books :(
Liana
Dec 23, 2015 Liana rated it it was amazing
Best book series ever for children!
Angie
Jul 25, 2016 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "In his dream, Little Critter turns into a monster that is so scary that he can do whatever he wants, but he discovers that he does not like being alone."

My Review: We love Little Critter books and with Munchkin suffering from bad dreams I thought this would be a great book to convey that it is all pretend. This wasn't quite what I expected but it did trigger some of the conversations with Munchkin about dreams that I was hoping for. Still a great book for Little Critter fans.
Sreeni
Jul 18, 2015 Sreeni added it
good
Genny Flett
Little Critter has a dream that he drinks a magic potion and becomes a monster. At first he loves being a monster because he can do whatever he wants and doesn't have to follow any rules, but he soon becomes lonely and sad and wants his parents back.

Love Little Critter books! This could be used to help students think of creative writing ideas or could be used for talking about dreams/fantasies.
Christy
Nov 30, 2012 Christy rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
Little Critter, Mercer Mayer's beloved character, stars in his own bad dream. Turning himself into a scary, disagreeable monster who won't go to school or take a bath or eat anything but fudge pops and pizza, Little Critter discovers that his family has decided to go away and leave him alone. Trapped in a lonely dream, Little Critter has to make a choice. The sweet and fun
Eva Leger
Jul 08, 2009 Eva Leger rated it liked it
Shelves: julias-books
This is a cute little story- the kid has a bad dream and the dream involved being allowed to do whatever he wants to do. Once he's all tuckered out he realizes there is no one there to kiss him goodnight or help him when he's scared.
My daughter is three and I think the actual lesson went over her head but besides that it's a cute story I thought.
Emily
Apr 27, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
In this book Little Critter got to do whatever he wanted, eat what he wanted, and went where he wanted after drinking a magic potion. For a while he thinks life is great being in charge of himself however after a while he realized his missed his mom and dad and wanted them to come back. Luckily, it was only a dream.
Miri
Mar 14, 2014 Miri rated it really liked it
This is an adorable story. Little Critter falls asleep and dreams that he drinks a magic potion that turns him into a monster. At first he has a lot of fun, eating whatever he wants, staying up late, but then he misses him family. Luckily his mom and dad are there to tell him it was all just a bad dream.
Kelly Thevenot
Sep 22, 2011 Kelly Thevenot rated it really liked it
What a Bad Dream is a book that uses imagination. You could incorporate this book into a lesson of dreams and fantasy. You could ask some children to describe their dreams and have them write about it. At the end of his bad dream, his parents were there to comfort him and make him feel better.
Connie
Aug 31, 2008 Connie rated it liked it
We have a lot of these, because they're so inexpensive.

I don't like how Little Critter spends most of his dream being mean to his parents. Sure, he eventually feels lonely and sad and wakes up from his nightmare (since that's what it is), but it still sits wrong with me.
Cece
Feb 14, 2010 Cece rated it liked it
This book is amusing. The dream includes ordering pizza, not bathing, eating cookies and ice cream, but the scary part of it was not having someone to hug.
Theresa
Dec 11, 2014 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
a cute story with a cute idea, using the stories of his daily life to teach children. early reader
learning about the big steps in life
Thomas Yingling
Apr 23, 2013 Thomas Yingling rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books, family
All kids think it would be great to do what they want, but this book shows it is not always the way you think it will be.
Amelia
Feb 08, 2016 Amelia rated it it was amazing
These critter books by Mercer Mayer were my favorite as a child. "What a Bad Dream" was my favorite of all.
Jennybug
Nov 22, 2009 Jennybug rated it really liked it
I stick this book with my Halloween Books, although it is a cute read for anytime of the year.
Melissa
Dec 07, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-joshua
March 2008

Josh just loves the Little Critter series now!
Scott Hayden
Nov 09, 2012 Scott Hayden rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, read-aloud
Doing only what YOU want just isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Sandy
Sep 25, 2009 Sandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Of course, my review is my son's review. :) He LOVES this book!
Shelly H
Apr 26, 2010 Shelly H rated it it was amazing
Mercer Mayer is always a good read all kids love him.
Clara
Nov 03, 2008 Clara rated it it was ok
this was a sarey book and it was very good
Misty Morgan
Misty Morgan marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
  • The Berenstain Bears Go Out for the Team
  • Just a Thunderstorm (Look-Look)
  • Arthur's Tooth  (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Clifford The Firehouse Dog
  • What Mommies Do Best / What Daddies Do Best
  • Franklin Wants a Pet
  • The Principal from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #2)
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...

Little Critter (1 - 10 of 171 books)
  • Just for You (Little Critter)
  • Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
  • The New Baby (Little Critter)
  • All by Myself
  • I Was So Mad
  • Just Go to Bed
  • Just Grandma and Me
  • Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter)
  • Me Too! (Little Critter)
  • Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad