Start by marking “What a Bad Dream (Little Critter)” as Want to Read:
What a Bad Dream (Little Critter)

What a Bad Dream (Little Critter)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  1,698 ratings  ·  19 reviews
In his dream, Little Critter turns into a monster that is so scary that he can do whatever he wants, but he discovers that he does not like being alone.
Published August 6th 1999 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about What a Bad Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What a Bad Dream

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussEli the Minnow and The Coral Cave Adventure by David L. SterlingThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Olivia by Ian Falconer
Childrens
81st out of 107 books — 7 voters
Uglies by Scott WesterfeldWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëWorld War Z by Max BrooksWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakVampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Titles that start with U, V, or W
237th out of 315 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

Betsy
Classic Mayer writing:

A Lesson will be taught
Interesting and detailed drawings
Cute Ending
Simple Read
Great Parents

Oh that little monster! he is always learning!
Celticoracle
Mini-Me didn't seem to like this one as much as the other Little Critter books we've read.

Update - upgraded to three stars based on the number of re-read requests received.
Genny Flett
Little Critter has a dream that he drinks a magic potion and becomes a monster. At first he loves being a monster because he can do whatever he wants and doesn't have to follow any rules, but he soon becomes lonely and sad and wants his parents back.

Love Little Critter books! This could be used to help students think of creative writing ideas or could be used for talking about dreams/fantasies.
Christy
Little Critter, Mercer Mayer's beloved character, stars in his own bad dream. Turning himself into a scary, disagreeable monster who won't go to school or take a bath or eat anything but fudge pops and pizza, Little Critter discovers that his family has decided to go away and leave him alone. Trapped in a lonely dream, Little Critter has to make a choice. The sweet and fun
Eva Leger
This is a cute little story- the kid has a bad dream and the dream involved being allowed to do whatever he wants to do. Once he's all tuckered out he realizes there is no one there to kiss him goodnight or help him when he's scared.
My daughter is three and I think the actual lesson went over her head but besides that it's a cute story I thought.
Emily
In this book Little Critter got to do whatever he wanted, eat what he wanted, and went where he wanted after drinking a magic potion. For a while he thinks life is great being in charge of himself however after a while he realized his missed his mom and dad and wanted them to come back. Luckily, it was only a dream.
Miri
This is an adorable story. Little Critter falls asleep and dreams that he drinks a magic potion that turns him into a monster. At first he has a lot of fun, eating whatever he wants, staying up late, but then he misses him family. Luckily his mom and dad are there to tell him it was all just a bad dream.
Kelly Thevenot
What a Bad Dream is a book that uses imagination. You could incorporate this book into a lesson of dreams and fantasy. You could ask some children to describe their dreams and have them write about it. At the end of his bad dream, his parents were there to comfort him and make him feel better.
Connie
We have a lot of these, because they're so inexpensive.

I don't like how Little Critter spends most of his dream being mean to his parents. Sure, he eventually feels lonely and sad and wakes up from his nightmare (since that's what it is), but it still sits wrong with me.
Cece
This book is amusing. The dream includes ordering pizza, not bathing, eating cookies and ice cream, but the scary part of it was not having someone to hug.
Theresa
a cute story with a cute idea, using the stories of his daily life to teach children. early reader
learning about the big steps in life
Thomas Yingling
All kids think it would be great to do what they want, but this book shows it is not always the way you think it will be.
Amelia
These critter books by Mercer Mayer were my favorite as a child. "What a Bad Dream" was my favorite of all.
Jennybug
I stick this book with my Halloween Books, although it is a cute read for anytime of the year.
Melissa
March 2008

Josh just loves the Little Critter series now!
Scott Hayden
Doing only what YOU want just isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Sandy
Of course, my review is my son's review. :) He LOVES this book!
Shelly H
Mercer Mayer is always a good read all kids love him.
Clara
this was a sarey book and it was very good
Lauren Summers
Lauren Summers marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Abigail Frazier
Abigail Frazier marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Alisha Brown
Alisha Brown marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Lily
Lily added it
Dec 10, 2014
  • The Berenstain Bears Go Out for the Team
  • Arthur's Tooth  (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Clifford's First Valentine's Day
  • Franklin Wants a Pet
  • What Mommies Do Best / What Daddies Do Best
  • Curious George Learns the Alphabet
  • The Principal from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #2)
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...
Just Go to Bed Just for You (Little Critter) Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter) I Was So Mad There's a Nightmare in My Closet