Start by marking “My Travelin' Eye” as Want to Read:
My Travelin' Eye

My Travelin' Eye

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Jenny Sue’s eyes are not the same as other people’s eyes. Her right eye looks in one direction, while her left eye sometimes wanders. Jenny Sue has a travelin’, lazy eye. Although it makes her different, it also helps her see the world in a special way.
Here is a charming story about one very inspiring little girl who overcomes her disability and offers inspiration to other
Published April 1st 2008 by Henry Holt and Company

To ask other readers questions about My Travelin' Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Travelin' Eye

I'm Squirrely! by Brenda LochingerWhen Will I Feel Better? by Robin Prince MonroeHow to Be Human by Florida FrenzTaking Diabetes to School by Kim GosselinAllie the Allergic Elephant by Nicole Smith
Books for Children with Chronic Illness
6th out of 74 books — 27 voters
Song for Papa Crow by Marit MenzinIt's Okay to Be Different by Todd ParrThe Ugly Duckling by Jerry PinkneyA Color of His Own by Leo LionniChrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes
It's Good To Be Me
103rd out of 155 books — 83 voters

More lists with this book...

(NS) Maria
This story is about a girl who describes how she saw the world with each eye. However, when Jenny has to wear an eye patch and glasses she had to be able to see a different way. This is a great story about understanding disabilities. This is a great story to teach students about differences that we all have. It has you really understand what some people go through with a "traveling eye" This story takes you through the process of going to the eye doctor, getting an eye patch and getting a pair o ...more
Lstirl
Based on the experiences of the author as a seven year old child, Jenny Sue offers up her creative solutions to dealing with a 'lazy eye.'

The theme of overcoming an obstacle using creativity is seen again in this book. I think this is very inspiring for kids. This book is great for kids who have a 'travelin' eye' to find out they are not alone, and is also great for others to learn empathy for those that are different. I loved the casual, matter of fact approach to her meeting Dr. Dave and how t
Melanie Fernandez
Jenny Sue's right eye looks in one direction, while her left eye sometimes meanders. As Jenny says, one eye is the navigator, and her wandering eye she calls the traveling eye, the one always looking for adventures. Although it makes her different, it also helps her see the world in a special way. Jenny Sue describes getting glasses, wearing them with an eye patch, being teased, but then creates "fashion-patches" with her mom that make her the envy of her classmates. Jenny Sue stays positive and ...more
(NS) Lauren
Grade/Interest Level: 2-4

Jenny Sue has a lazy eye, or as she likes to call it, a travelin' eye. This story celebrates the unique way each person sees the world, and follows a little girl's journey from being embarrassed about her differences to comfortable in her own skin.

This is a wonderful example of realistic fiction because it deals with an issue most everyone has experienced in some way, becoming comfortable in one's own skin. The illustrations capture the unique way Jenny Sue views the wo
Ruth Ann
I liked this book about a girl who was different (she had a lazy eye) and how she coped through family support, creativity, and a helpful eye doctor. The illustrations are colorful multimedia gems and they create a happy mood. I learned what it is like to see when your eyes don't work together, and of course knowing and understanding increases compassion.

The one thing that I found odd about the story is that Jenny says her unusual eye was noticed shortly after birth. I kept wondering why the par
Alice
4.75 Stars This is a great book! I loved it! My niece has a similar problem when she was a baby and needed the eye patch.

I love the artwork and theme!! Great!

Reason I can't give it 5 stars, is not for everyone, but then again everyone should read it, because it talks about bulling...kids making fun of her patch. To see from this girls perspective, I think kids need to see that. We all have something wrong with us!! Kids should see through this little girls eyes! Hurrah for Jenny Sue!!
(NS) Laura Jackson
Jenny Sue is a young girl who has a lazy eye. She feels more comfortable referring to it as a travelin' eye. Jenny Sue's teacher suggests that she see an ophthalmologist because of the lazy eye. Once Jenny Sue overcomes her fear of the ophthalmologist, she finds out that she needs glasses and she needs to wear a patch. Jenny Sue did not enjoy wearing the patch to school, until one day her mom suggests making a fashion patch. All of the kids loved Jenny Sue's fashion patch, that they wanted to ma ...more
L- Lisa
Jenny Sue was born with a wandering eye, instead of her eyes looking in the same direction at the same time, her eyes look in different directions. As Jenny says, one eye is the navigator, and her wandering eye she calls the traveling eye, the one always looking for adventures. The teacher suggests one day that Jenny Sue go to the ophthalmologist who proceeds to put a patch on Jenny Sue’s navigator eye, saying she has a lazy eye.
This new patch made Jenny Sue afraid to go back to school again be
Laina Shearouse
"My Travelin' Eye" is a story about a young girl, Jenny Sue, who embraces her "lazy" or "travelin'" eye as a part of herself. The story is inspired by the author's own experiences with amblyopia and strabismus. When Jenny Sue's teacher suggests that she sees an ophthalmologist about "fixing" her eye she told her parents that her eye was not broken. Jenny Sue makes it through the meeting with Dr. Dave who tells her that she has a "lazy eye" that needs to be woken up. So she got glasses and an eye ...more
Kristy
This is colorful and vivid portrayal of a child who has amblyopia or lazy eye and strabismus which causes her eyes to misalign and turns in, out or upside down which Jenny sue affectionately calls her "travelin eye". Jenny Sue is a confident character in the face of adversity turning negatives into positives and doing it all with a witty sense of humor that children will find engaging. The mix media illustrations further enhances the text and brings it to life. This book could be used in the ear ...more
Christine
A great story about growing up with a "lazy-eye". This is a good book on so many levels. The illustrations are a great example of collage artwork that students can get inspiration from. Jenny Sue's positive attitude is a great lesson for all, young and old alike. I loved how her mom's answer to Jenny Sue's concerns was "I think we just have to get creative." Sometimes the solution to our problem comes when we think outside the box and think of something different. Great life lessons. I'd love to ...more
Breanne Kanegawa
I love the art work in this book. It really lets the kids understand what she is talking about when she says she has a traveling eye. It also lets the kids visualize what is happening. This book is also a great way to inform kids that not everybody is the same. Just because someone is different does not mean there is something wrong with them. This book has great meaning behind it that all kids should know about.
JustOneMoreBook.com
Funky paint and collage artwork and breezy first person narrative provide an eye-opening peek at a young girl's experience with amblyopia and strabismus in this upbeat tale of personality, patches, perspective and pride.

You can listen in on our chat about this book on our Just One More Book! Children's Book Podcast.

Roxanne Hsu Feldman
Some of the pictures and especially the cover are very interesting. It seems to have an implied negative message of glasses -- these days, the glasses for children are quite fashionable on their own and no longer a stigma. Seems unnecessary to supply those taunting terms (cyclop, three-eyed, etc.) even if this is based on the author's own experience which were prob. two or three decades ago.
Tara
I thought this book was adorable. This book would be great to read to kids to help them realize everyone is different but that they need to embrace any little quirk they have. The girl in this book had a lazy eye but she called it her traveling eye. She embraced it and didnt want the doctor to fix her eye. But he did and she was happy without her traveling eye too.
Wschimbeck
This book is so darling! I think it really helps children who might have a lazy eye understand their condition or help others understand what their classmates are going through. It is so beautifully illustrated and is told from the perspective of how a child deals with a physical ailment. Love it!
Tiffany
I really like this book because it explains what a lazy eye is, why kids have to wear eye patches and glasses to fix it... I'm certain Ellie will encounter a child like the main character in the book when she starts school so I want her to be understanding and I hope this helped her with that.
Erin
One of those rare books that covers an "issue" without grace and a light hand. It's done so well that anyone reading it for different reasons will enjoy the humor and the lovely illustrations. For children who do actually have a "lazy eye" this creative take will be a favorite.
Susan
This was a cool way for kids to learn about "lazy eye," to learn that it's okay if you have it or if others have it. It also illustrated well how the first few days of retraining the eye are challenging to say the least. I'm glad we live in a day when it's okay to be different!
Denise
This is not a book I'd use in storytime with preschoolers. The subject is narrow, but it has broader uses. This is a book that teaches tolerance, encourages creativity and walks a child through what can be viewed as a scary experience, a visit to the opthalmologist.
Jude
Jul 16, 2012 Jude rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children and especially former children
Recommended to Jude by: JENNY!
Shelves: all-us-kids
it's out!!!

here jenny's blog with book release adventures:

(scroll down for release party pics & art adventures)

so grateful for this artist and her way of seeing, her way of working, her way of sharing.

YAY.
Tanya W
This was a great book to foster understanding about things that make us different... or physical "flaws", in this case the author's experience as a young girl with a lazy eye. Great illustration.

2010 Beehive Award Nominee (children's lit assoc of utah).
Roseann
I loved the artwork, just though it was a bit weird reading a book about a girl with a "traveling eye" when my kid didn't have one/know anyone ...and bk was given to me b/c thought it was about a girl who likes to travel! Not one with an eye problem! Ha!
Tara
A super charming story of a little girl with a lazy eye. She goes to the opthamalogist and gets a patch and a pair of glasses. She has a really tough time at first, but with the help of a really cool and crafty mom, things get much better!!!
Julie
What a wonderfully written book to teach tolerance to childen & adults of those with an eye problem. Also a great book for those with an eye condition to reinforce it's ok to look different from everyone else.
Katie Scott
Such a great book. So cute for little kids with eye problems. About a little girl who is cross-eyed and she loves that part of her uniqueness. I think this is a great book for all ages.
Pea.
Oct 03, 2009 Pea. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009, kid
who knew a book about a child's lazy eye could be so wonderful and inspiring. an excellent illustrator and story teller... can not wait to see what she does next.
Janessa
I think this may be my most favorite children's book. It is so cute and teaches children about what a lazy eye really is and what living with one can feel like.
Jamil
the 2 pg spread where Jenny Sue describes the different attributes of her "iguana eyes" is very nicely designed -- the highlight of the book for me.
Rachel
Nov 22, 2008 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: pre-schoolers, early elementary
A great picturebook about a child with a vision impairment. She has a patch over her eye, that she turns into a fashion statement.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »