Start by marking “The Twelve Dogs of Christmas” as Want to Read:
The Twelve Dogs of Christmas

The Twelve Dogs of Christmas

Just for fun The traditional song "The 12 Days of Christmas" is adapted featuring popular dogs to carry out the theme along with a surprise ending. Original photography of canines with fun and festive hand-painted art make this one of the season's most original and fun books.
Published September 25th 2001 by Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.A.: Thomas Nelson Inc (first published October 20th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Twelve Dogs of Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelve Dogs of Christmas

Carol
Dec 09, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
if -- like me -- you have a child or grandchild that was, or is in the process of being, partly raised by one or more dogs, this book belongs on your shelf. Of course, you have to be willing to sing it rather than read it. Repeatedly. Proper pitch is not required.
Shenice Martin
Nov 23, 2016 Shenice Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: songs
Awards: None

Grade Level: K-1

Summary:
This song is based on "The 12 Days of Christmas" song. The song uses a number of different dogs such as poodles, St. Bernards, Cocker Spaniels, Basset Hounds, Golden Retrievers, Boxer, Huskies, Sheepdogs, Chihuahuas, Dalmatians, and Labradors. On the twelfth day, instead of twelve dogs, a cat was sent.

Review:
I thought this was very creative of the writer change the original song and substitute dogs. Children who love animals, especially dogs, would love this
gina
A cute read for kids who love dogs and Christmas. I especially liked the punch line at the end. This book inspired a movie by the same title which I plan to see when it gets closer to Christmas. Emma Kragen wrote this book when she was 7 and I think it's a lovely idea for a children's picture book. Of course my favorite part were the seven huskies howling ;) The book I checked out from the library had long lost its cd so I didn't get to hear the children's song but I bet it's just as cute.
Heather
Feb 01, 2011 Heather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
18 months - I just want to hit my head against a wall every time O asks me to read this one. The name suggest correctly this is a doggie version of 12 days of Christmas and seems about 100 times as tedious.
Shiralea Woodhouse
Dec 07, 2010 Shiralea Woodhouse rated it really liked it
Just had to add this picture book we got from the library. My younger girls loved it and they were especially impressed that it was written by a 7 year old! The pictures and ending are too cute, and it's fun to sing instead of read.
Sara
Dec 08, 2014 Sara added it
I found this one day while looking through the aisles at a store my mom worked at and knew I just had to have it! My version came with a CD that had the song on it! This is an adorable book and I'm glad I happened to find it!
Pamela
I have this on my list of books to get hold of since I am working on christmas books for my blog and this book was recommended to me. I also am a major dog person with three spoodles so it is probably something I will enjoy and I heard something about the movie being made.
Abbey
Dec 15, 2008 Abbey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i like the song.for the first day of chrismas my true love gave to me a poddle in a dog house....
Mosley Allen
Jan 04, 2016 Mosley Allen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
A cute book with adorable puppy pictures and a surprise ending. I bought it used so sadly the cd wasn't included. But my daughter loves it none the less.
Jaime
Apr 17, 2012 Jaime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a adorable & fun children's christmas book. Our entire family loves this one!
Sheila
Dec 08, 2009 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly cute book. We didn't like the cd that came with it as much...it's best when you just read the book yourself. Great ending!
Michelle
Nov 11, 2008 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I'd give it four but there were no Dobermans in it.
Donna Hunt
Sep 19, 2012 Donna Hunt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok. this is just plain cute and awesome. AND it was written by a 7 year old.
Becky
Becky rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2016
Molly P.
Molly P. rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2014
Becky
Becky rated it it was ok
Mar 25, 2011
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Sandi Wittenberg
Sandi Wittenberg rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2015
Shannon Pauley
Shannon Pauley rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2014
Tippi
Tippi rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Alayna
Alayna rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2012
Kathleen Norton
Kathleen Norton rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2013
Kat
Kat rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2008
Stephen Snyder
Stephen Snyder rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2011
Kate
Exactly as bad as the title and cover art might lead you to fear.
Sandy
Sandy rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2009
Nina
Dec 21, 2007 Nina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A clear winner with the kiddies- a fun one to sing!
Dakeyras
Dakeyras rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2013
Dolores E Clark
Dolores E Clark rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2014
Travis
Travis rated it it was ok
Dec 15, 2008