In the Event of My Untimely Demise: Twenty Things My Son Needs to Know

In the Event of My Untimely Demise: Twenty Things My Son Needs to Know

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  16 reviews
When Brian Sack's mother passed away, he was left with a letter and a pink cardigan. The cardigan was promptly placed in a drawer, but the letter was pure gold. In just a few pages of fancy cursive, her posthumous dispatch offered the kind of guidance you would expect from a mother to her young son. And while he didn't necessarily follow all the advice, he never forgot how...more
Published April 29th 2008 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about In the Event of My Untimely Demise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Event of My Untimely Demise

Jeremy
This gets off to a good start with author Brian Sack poignantly remembering the letter his mother left for him (she died of breast cancer when he was a young man). It's a heartfelt moment in the book and sets a nice tone.
As the pages turn, however, the book moves from this sentimental premise to something closer to a memoir or set of anecdotes. What was meant to be a message for Sack's own sons turns into a chance for the author to insert jokes at every possible opportunity. This can't-turn-a-jo...more
Dan Moore
I'm still reading this book, but so far it's been a disappointment. The humor seems forced, and the funny, telling stories has been simply sad or predictable so far. More to come as I read more. At least it looks like a quick read.

Update. I've finished the book now. Although it did get better, I cannot say it's anything I would recommend. I think this topic has so much opportunity. What's funnier that the things you tell your kids, and the stories associated? Again, the humor seemed forced, alth...more
Winnifred
The author's most prized possession is a letter received from his mother after she died when he was 12. This book is a letter written to his own son giving his advice on everything from love to career and life goals. He relates his own life experiences and how he feels about his son. I loved this book. Lots of humor mixed with good advice.
Leah
It was a good book. There were fantastic parts, where I was thinking, YES! And then, there were other parts where I was thinking more along the lines of, huh? Overall, it was fun and interesting and got me thinkig about what I want to teach and leave for my own children.
William
As much as this topic is overdone, Brian Sack still pulls together some interesting bits of advice. A few passages here and there are truly worth the time it takes to get through this short book of accumulated wisdom as passed down to one's offspring.
Clara T
May 12, 2008 Clara T rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Friends, family
I was sold on this book when I read the introduction which was not only funny but surprisingly deep for a humor book. Overall it was very witty and had me laughing a lot. I really liked this book.
Marie
This book was just silly. I was pleasantly surprised at the absurd and yet loving advice. Definitely a fun read and it only took me a few hours.
Damon  C
Really good book. I think he tries a little too hard in places, but its a great idea and from the heart, with a twist of humor
Mar 15, 2009 Laura added it
this book is rather funny, and is a man's perspective on child-rearing, and has some good insights, so far, it's a good read.
Alisha
it seemed so promising and witty at first, but failed to live up to that promise after just a few chapters
Jill
Sep 17, 2008 Jill marked it as to-read
Recommended to Jill by: Glenn Beck radio show
This seems like it will be a fun read, I'm hoping to find it at the library.
Siradrich
A great read, and some wonderful insight on life, family and parenting.
Jeanette
So far, so good. I like the author's dry humor.
Kit
Dec 04, 2011 Kit marked it as false-starts
I'll probably come back to this one...
Tara
Solid advice, hilariously told.
Kate
Cute book. Good advice.
Pe
Pe marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Nathaniel Johnson
Nathaniel Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Josh
Josh added it
Mar 10, 2014
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Kellie Ciccone
Kellie Ciccone marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
Yvonne Brower
Yvonne Brower marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Hannah
Hannah added it
Jul 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The United States vs. Santa Claus: The Untold Story of the Actual War on Christmas The B.S. of A.: A Primer in Politics for the Incredibly Disenchanted In the Event of My Untimely Demise In the Event of My Untimely Demise The B.S. of A.: A Primer in Politics for the Incredibly Disenchanted