Start by marking “Tarzan Alive: A Definitive Biography of Lord Greystoke (Wold Newton #1)” as Want to Read:
Tarzan Alive: A Definitive Biography of Lord Greystoke (Wold Newton #1)

Tarzan Alive: A Definitive Biography of Lord Greystoke (Wold Newton #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  389 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Through the tales of Edgar Rice Burroughs, generations of readers have thrilled to the adventures of Lord Greystoke (aka John Clayton, but better known as Tarzan of the Apes). In this biography Philip José Farmer pieces together the life of this fantastic man, correcting Burroughs’s errors and deliberate deceptions and tracing Tarzan's family tree back to other extraordina ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Bison Books (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Tarzan Alive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tarzan Alive

The Big Sleep by Raymond ChandlerFarewell, My Lovely by Raymond ChandlerThe Maltese Falcon by Dashiell HammettTarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice BurroughsThe Best of H.P. Lovecraft by H.P. Lovecraft
Best of the Pulp Magazine Authors and Literature
67th out of 313 books — 136 voters
It Lives in The Basement by Sahara FoleyThe League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan MoorePlanetary, Vol. 4 by Warren EllisThe League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 2 by Alan MooreThe League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore
Crossover Fiction
16th out of 44 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Lucas Garrett
Imagine, if you will, that you were told that the heroes and villains of popular fiction exist in our world, or are/were based on people, who at one time or another, existed alongside us. What would you think? With Tarzan Alive: A Definitive Biography of Lord Greystoke, award-winning author Philip Jose Farmer tells an intricate tale that will cause you to wonder that very question. In his story, Farmer reveals the truth behind Edgar Rice Burroughs's greatest literary hero: John Clayton, Eighth D ...more
R.
Mar 09, 2008 R. marked it as to-read
Found at last! Where? Why at the local - and best in Eastern Washington - independent bookstore, Adventures Underground! Go underground and have an adventure at advunderground.com! Why? Because Tarzan would.
Eric Bauman
This book was recommended to me by a friend, who is a devotee of the Wold-Newton universe (I think I spelled that right), which is a shared universe where (as I understand it) the antecedents of a bunch of literary figures (such as Tarzan, Doc Savage, Sherlock Holmes and others), who were all pregnant and all together in or near a village were exposed to strange emanations from a meteor that fell to Earth in the early eighteenth century.

This book was a biography of Lord Greystoke, also known as
Travis
Farmer gives us not only a biography of Tarzan, but explains how all pulp fiction actually connects into huge family tree/conspiracy that has been influencing history for centuries.
It's brilliant stuff
Farmer plays it so straight forward and treats it as though he is writing a biography of a real person that you are drawn in and find yourself believing it might all be true.

Will
I had so much fun as a kid reading this. The world Newton Family and the connections between all those literary heroes struck me as such a cool idea when I was younger. I wish I still owned a copy. -- I preferred the Doc Savage companion book to this one only because I read more of Doc's books.
Freder
A wonderful conceit. As in his fictional biography of Doc Savage, Farmer goes a little too far trying to tie every pulp hero ever created into Lord Greystoke's family tree, but that's a minor criticism for a piece of literary gamesmanship as good as this.
Charles
I have the Playboy edition of this book. It's pretty interesting. I enjoyed it, but it rambled around quite a lot.
Velvetink
Really liked it when I read it as a kid. Have to read it again to comment.
Doug
It's art masquerading as trash masquerading as biography.
John
Tarzan is real and ERB helped cover up the real story. Not only that, but a lot of your other great literary figures of the age are real too...and often related!

While I found the book interesting, it read more like a correction of B's Tarzan books thn a story. It's like he had the idea for a story, wrote down his details, got bored, and then just published his ideas with linking sentences between them.

If you just are curious and want to see someone make Tarzan seem 'possible', give this book a t
John
I was excited to read this book even though I have not read or seen much of Tarzan. I thought the concept sounded interesting and I am planning on Reading Farmer's Sherlock Holmes story, "The Peerless Peer". I thought this would be a good background story for the Holmes book. "Tarzan: Alive", to me at least, seems like it would only appeal to diehard Tarzan fans. The book really does not read like a story but more of a summary of Burroughs' Tarzan stories. There are so many names thrown about of ...more
Benedek
The premise of this book is that Edgar Rice Burroughs met Tarzan as an old man, and Tarzan (Lord Greystoke) told Burroughs the 'true' story of Tarzan's life, which Burroughs used when writing his novels. Philip Jose Farmer expands on this by making himself a character in the narrative and investigating the truth behind Burroughs' stories and the lineage of Tarzan. Along the way, Farmer 'discovers' that Tarzan is related to a number of other literary characters, like Sherlock Holmes and Professor ...more
David B
Philip Jose Farmer has a lot of fun with the classic Edgar Rice Burroughs character. This book is a "biography" which supposes that the Tarzan novels tell the story of a real figure, albeit much fictionalized to protect his true identity. Farmer separates the "fact" from the fiction and also traces the jungle lord's kinship with such other notable figures as Sherlock Holmes, Doc Savage, the Shadow, and the Scarlet Pimpernel. An entertaining read, although often very poorly written.
Cairnraiser
How would Tarzan's life have looked had he been real and not fictional?

Farmer's work plays with this idea and shows us how Burroughs got some facts wrong and modified others in order to protect the real Lord Greystoke from discovery.

Fascinating exploration of Burroughs Tarzan books through an anthropological and psychological lens. How would a near-feral man fare in the modern/civilized world?

People who enjoy digging into the background and psyches of literary heroes will find this book worthwhi
Joe  Noir
Great new edition of a terrific book. This Bison Books edition adds Farmer's "exclusive interview with Lord Greystoke (from Esquire magazine) and "Extracts from the memoirs of "Lord Greystoke" (from "Mother Was A Lovely Beast"). The problem being, the editors placed these at the start of the book, instead of added as appendices, and I feel they slow the book down before it even begins. Also, this edition does not include the Wold Newton family tree chart from earlier editions. Great cover art by ...more
Michael
May 07, 2014 Michael marked it as to-read
Shelves: biography, erb
CREATIVE MYTHOGRAPHY ist die schönste Gattungsbezeichnung für Farmers Buch.
Riju Ganguly
An entertaining book that tries to tell the story of Tarzan, i.e. Lord Greystoke, while trying to reconcile numerous inconsistencies scattered across the works of Burroughs and the "facts" about other famous personalities whom we commonly know as citizens of the "Wold Newton" universe. It is good, and written in the typically lean style of Philip Jose Farmer, although, his 'biography' of Doc Savage was more entertaining. Recommended to lovers of PJF as well as those who now miss the wonderfully ...more
Joe
what if Tarzam but real
David Bonesteel
Philip Jose Farmer has a lot of fun with the classic Edgar Rice Burroughs character. This book is a "biography" which supposes that the Tarzan novels tell the story of a real figure, albeit much fictionalized to protect his true identity. Farmer seperates the "fact" from the fiction and also traces the jungle lord's kinship with such other notable figures as Sherlock Holmes, Doc Savage, the Shadow, and the Scarlet Pimpernel. An entertaining read, although often very poorly written.
Darren Murr
I picked this up as I had heard that Farmer's Wold Newton was a formative influence on Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentleman series, which I love. For the most part I found this fascinating. Farmer obviously has a deep affection for Burroughs and Tarzan, and they way he plays with histories of famous characters is fascinating. For the most part, a great read - but some of the appendices were a bit dry and hard going.
Robert Morganbesser
An absolutely brilliant book. The truth behind the legend, this is the biography of the man we know as John Clayton, Lord Greystoke, King of the Great Apes, lord of the Waziri, Tarzan of the Apes. Not a book that can be set down easily, this biography, by the brilliant Philip Jose Farmer, breaths more life into the legend, while it does wink at the audience, it never insults the reader. A simply great book.
Bill Bleuel
Better in concept than execution, but - oh! what a concept! Sadly, Farmer gets too caught up in minutae that only the most rabid Tarzan fan will appreciate. Still, Farmer is a gifted writer and the "Wold Newton" concept is brilliant and Farmer's ability to turn pulp hero Tarzan into some semblance of a real person is a gift not to be taken likely. Now if only his biography of Doc Savage was in print!
Joe Collier
Alternate history meets literary biography geek in this clever, throughly "researched" biography of Tarzan (a fictional character). Farmer manages to connect Tarzan up with an amazing array of literature's most noted characters, as well as real historical figures. And if you like this one, be sure and check out Farmer's "biography" of pulp fiction mainstay Doc Savage.
Karlo
This was less of a pleasure and more of an exercise. I appreciate the craft of what Farmer was attempting to do here, and the larger context that the Wold Newton framework offers fans of alt-history. The writing is good, but my lack of knowledge in the source books left me at a slight disadvantage here, and may have affected my enjoyment of the book.
R. David
This book is written as a biography of Edgar Rice Burroughs' most famous creation, Tarzan. It has been decades since I read this book but I remember being somewhat disappointed in it after having read countless Burroughs books. Farmer had an intriguing idea that fell short in my opinion. I don't plan on revisiting this work anytime soon.
Liz
He writes about Tarzan as a real person the novels were based on, and ties him genetically to all the major manly heroes of that literary period... kinda fascinating, especially if you are nuts about Tarzan like I am.
Rahadyan
Reading this, as well as Farmer's Doc Savage: His Apocalyptic Life and Baring-Gould's The Annotated Sherlock Holmes, started me on my geeky Wold Newton hobby. An amusing pastime.
RaeAnn

Book was strange. Author makes LOTS of leaps of logic. Also, all the fun racist stuff since it was written long ago.
Philip
Concept of a biography of Lord Greystoke using all the Burroughs books as back ground was more interesting than the execution.
Kurt
Forget it. Doc Savage was awful, I won't even subject myself to this one.
  • Tarzan's Quest (Tarzan, #19)
  • The Land of Terror (Doc Savage, #8)
  • Contes cruels
  • Maldoror and Poems (Penguin Classics)
  • The Man from the Diogenes Club
  • Heroes & Monsters: The Unofficial Companion to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (The Unofficial Companion to the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, #1)
  • Blood and Thunder: The Life and Art of Robert E. Howard
  • The Golden Fleece
  • Adventures in 'Pataphysics
Philip José Farmer was an American author, principally known for his science fiction and fantasy novels and short stories. He was born in Terre Haute, Indiana, but spent much of his life in Peoria, Illinois.

Farmer is best known for his Riverworld series and the earlier World of Tiers series. He is noted for his use of sexual and religious themes in his work, his fascination for and reworking of th
More about Philip José Farmer...
To Your Scattered Bodies Go (Riverworld, #1) The Fabulous Riverboat (Riverworld, #2) The Dark Design (Riverworld, #3) The Magic Labyrinth (Riverworld, #4) The Gods of Riverworld (Riverworld, #5)

“The n'k did not want to be enlightened. They resented the truth as if it threatened them. In this respect, they are most like humans.” 0 likes