Start by marking “18 Best Stories by Edgar Allan Poe” as Want to Read:
18 Best Stories by Edgar Allan Poe

18 Best Stories by Edgar Allan Poe

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  378 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
A chilling compilation of some of Edgar AllenPoe's best-loved stories, edited by Vincent Price andChandler Brossard and with an introduction byVincent Price, including:

The BlackCat - The Fall of the House of Usher - The Masqueof the Red Death - The Facts in the Case of M.Valdemar - The Premature Burial - Ms. Found in a Bottle- A Tale of the Ragged Mountains - The Sphinx -T
Paperback, Laurel Edition, 288 pages
Published April 15th 1965 by Dell (first published April 1965)

To ask other readers questions about 18 Best Stories by Edgar Allan Poe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 18 Best Stories by Edgar Allan Poe

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Help by Kathryn StockettHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingSpellbound in His Arms by Angel SeferDone With Men by Shuchi Singh Kalra
What book should I read next?
67th out of 329 books — 369 voters
Dracula by Bram StokerThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanFrankenstein by Mary ShelleyThe Shining by Stephen KingThe Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan Poe
Best Books to Read for Halloween!
398th out of 535 books — 543 voters

More lists with this book...

Larry McCloskey
Mar 17, 2016 Larry McCloskey rated it it was ok
EVERYBODY needs to read some Edgar Allan Poe...everybody. Plus, this particular collection has an introduction by Vincent Price, who most people confuse with Poe on some level. Perfect, right? Overall, though, this collection was kind of disappointing. Several of the stories would have been reviewed better on their own, but there were some real clunkers and letdowns.

"The Black Cat" may be my new favorite story of Poe's. I knew of it from the film, but the story is great. "The Pit and the Pendulu
Pedram
May 16, 2014 Pedram rated it it was amazing
A brilliant collection! Poe is perfect storyteller, perfect researcher, many years ahead of his time. He did not cut the drama side in favor of any direct philosophical nonsense! He tells story, complex plots and bitter or morbid to many's taste! What strikes me the most is that every element is measured and intelligently placed in order to help the story, providing clues for the alert reader. Components plays in harmony with each other. Hence the whole structure of stories are rock solid with l ...more
Rleffert37
Nov 16, 2015 Rleffert37 rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of the short stories created by renowned poet Edgar Allan Poe. Some of you might recognize his work such as the all time classic “The Raven”. This book is called “18 best stories by Edgar Allan Poe”. You might even find stories that will become your favorites.

These stories have a certain touch to the readers’ hearts. These stories have a nice touch of calmness and chaos. There were some tales that I recalled reading in a younger age. My personal favorites were “The Tell
Angela
A Poe book edited by Vincent Price! Give this up? Never!!!

As the title indicates, eighteen Poe stories are collected in one volume:

The Black Cat
The Balloon-Hoax
A Descent Into The Maelstrom
The Purloined Le
Book Concierge

I read a variety of Poe’s works when I was in middle school and high school, but this collection had a number of stories I don’t recall ever reading before - The Facts of the Case of M Valdemar (couldn’t help but think of Valdemort), The Black Cat, A Tale of the Ragged Mountains, The Sphinx, The System of Dr Tarr and Prof Fether, The Man That was Used Up, The Balloon Hoax, and A Descent Into the Maelstrom.

Not all of his tales are horror stories, and several - especially The Murders in the Rue M
James
Feb 17, 2010 James rated it liked it
Recommends it for: a scholar of Poe's works
Well, wrapping up this book. It's not Edgar's fault of course, but I actually like the adaptations better. It's partly the writing style that is hard for me and mostly the language. He used many French, Latin and other words that are not part of my vocab and my vocab is pretty darn good!

I enjoyed the Vincent Price preface as he has played a few of the characters in Poe's collection. Once I cleared up the terms and what the heck the writer was talking about, I did enjoy the Pit and the Pendulum
DaveH
Feb 28, 2016 DaveH rated it it was amazing
I read most of his stories while bedridden with Rheumatic Fever when i was 8 yers old and fell in love with them (bad dreams and all)......
Steph Hays
Sep 22, 2013 Steph Hays rated it it was ok
Some of them are great. The Masque of the Red Death is my particular favorite as it appeals to me with its use of imagery; it paints a vivid picture in your mind's eye.

Many of the stories are not, however, all that moving and some are even boring. I am particularly unimpressed by the Fall of the House of Usher, The Murders in the Rue Morgue (but perhaps it is because I have seen this plot recycled so many times), and the Premature Burial.

David Allen
Jan 18, 2014 David Allen rated it really liked it
With every major story and a few well-chosen minor ones, this 1965 Dell paperback may stand as the best Poe story collection available. Missing the poems, alas. But also missing the marginal stories (like the boring Marie Roget) most collections are plumped out with. I doubt Vincent Price had anything to do with choosing the stories, but if his name as co-editor helped get this in print, our thanks to him. Spooky cover, too.
Samantha
Feb 01, 2014 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These short stories were obviously written a long time ago so of course the way it was worded was sometimes hard to read and some of the stories took a long time to get into. But other than that I did really enjoy all of the stories he told. They were perfectly gruesome. I'm a big fan of Edgar Allan Poe and I'd love to read some more of his poetry and his other short stories.
Aydan
Mar 14, 2016 Aydan rated it it was ok
I understand Edgar's impact on literature and why he was a major writer. I find his use of language grasping as it created vivid images and added a feel to the stories. However the story plot themselves did not appeal much. I found myself curiously reading to see how the short stories end, to see nothing happening or not coming to a clear conclusion.
Planchette
Feb 20, 2013 Planchette rated it it was amazing
The five stars are for the stories I remember reading, and regularly reread:
* The Black Cat
* The Masque of the Red Death
* The Murders in the Rue Morgue
* The Tell-Tale Heart
* A Descent into the Maelström
* The Purloined Letter
* The Pit and the Pendulum
* The Cask of Amontillado

The others are on the to-do list.
Erick E.
Nov 16, 2012 Erick E. rated it really liked it
I think the book 18 best stories by Edgar Allan Poe was great because I read each story and each one was thrilling which is the kind of book that I like/love. I would recommend for others to read this as well because I liked it that much. The first story, The Black Cat, was thrilling and exciting.
Melanie
Nov 05, 2009 Melanie rated it it was ok
I am just not a Poe fan I guess. I like the story line, but have a difficult time getting through the wordy stories. I think most of them can still give the total creep factor, but cut out about 1/3 of the words.
Fredy sandoval
Apr 05, 2010 Fredy sandoval rated it it was amazing
I have always looked at edgar allan poes work because he is an amazing, high detail author he has done everything to make you feel as if you are right there as the torture is happening
Taylor
Jul 13, 2012 Taylor rated it it was amazing
I have always loved Edgar Allan Poe's short stories & poems. This particular book is great because it's only a few stories compiled together to give you a taste of his style.
Meg (projectbookworm)
Jan 10, 2015 Meg (projectbookworm) rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
For my review, go to my tumblr!
Kristine Raugust charette
Some stories I loved... Some were over my head. Honestly, I'm just glad it's over. That took forever!
Szynszyliszys
May 19, 2013 Szynszyliszys rated it liked it
Some of the stories might be enjoyable but for me most of them felt too simple, predictable and out-dated.
Isaac
Aug 19, 2008 Isaac rated it liked it
Individually some stories would have higher ratings. The stories that were not very good dragged along.
Derwin
Jun 11, 2009 Derwin rated it it was amazing
It was good to review some EAP. My top three are The Black Cat, The Gold Bug, and The Pit and the Pendulum.
Marts  (Thinker)
Aug 21, 2008 Marts (Thinker) rated it it was amazing
Once again some of Poe's best horror stories are meshed into this title.
Tiffaney
Jan 21, 2011 Tiffaney rated it really liked it
Condition: Has shelf/use wear and some creases on back cover.
Broadsnark
Mar 12, 2010 Broadsnark rated it really liked it
How can you not love Poe. Deliciously creepy.
Gretchen
Nov 23, 2009 Gretchen rated it it was amazing
Always better the second time around
Charllinee
Apr 18, 2008 Charllinee rated it really liked it
Shelves:
this will be a good book to.
Meghan
Pige
Aug 24, 2008 Pige rated it liked it
Creepy.
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
  • Complete Plays, 1932-1943
  • The Spider
  • Hot and Steamy: Tales of Steampunk Romance
  • Uncle John's Supremely Satisfying Bathroom Reader
  • The World of Christopher Robin: The Complete When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3-4)
  • The King's Indian: Stories and Tales
  • The Bible Story (Ten Volume Set)
  • At the Mountains of Madness, and Other Novels
More about Edgar Allan Poe...