Start by marking “The Edgar Allan Poe Audio Collection” as Want to Read:
The Edgar Allan Poe Audio Collection

The Edgar Allan Poe Audio Collection

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  191 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Universally acclaimed as the maestro of horror and the morbid, Edgar Allan Poe's dark gift has for more than a century and a half set the standard for the genre.

Now, Caedmon Audio presents a classic collection of Poe's most terrifying tales performed by two of the most brilliant interpreters of his work ever to be recorded: Vincent Price and Basil Rathbone.

Between them, th
Audio CD
Published October 1st 2000 by Harper Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Edgar Allan Poe Audio Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edgar Allan Poe Audio Collection

Orrin Grey
Jul 02, 2009 Orrin Grey rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
Poe stories read by Vincent Price and Basil Rathbone seems like a guaranteed proposition. And certainly it is neither the material nor the readings that constitute the problems here.

The volume (at least on the copy I got) was so quiet that I had to turn the radio in my car all the way up in order to hear it, and even then sometimes the quiet parts were too quiet. Also, the titles of the stories and poems aren't ever given. While all of the pieces are easily recognizable to the enthusiast, the la
Chris
I don't like audio books very much. I can see their use if I commuted in a car, but since I take the train, I read. However, this is one of the few audios that I love.

Vincent Price and Basil Rathbone reading Poe is just the best. It is so AWESOME! So CREEPY! So PERFECT!

It helps that both Price and Rathbone are known for playing villans. Yes, I know Rathbone played Sherlock HOlmes, but I remember him best from Flynn's Robin Hood and that version of Richard II, The Tower of London I think it was
Julie
I've been trying to figure out how to rate this book and then finally decided I can't. I had vastly different opinions about the various stories...from one to 4 stars. I am missing the brain cells that allow people to understand poetry, so I didn't like the poems and all the short stories on the last two cd's put me to sleep except for The Gold Bug, which was kind of a mystery-solving story that reminded me of Poe's Dupin. My favorite in this collection was The Pit and the Pendulum, followed by ...more
Siri
Nov 13, 2014 Siri rated it really liked it
The macabre short storeys and poems of Poe read by Vincent Pirce and Basil Rathbone. It is not the best sound quality but good.
Beverly
Jan 26, 2016 Beverly rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
As far as format goes this was probably not the best audio ever done. I loved the readers, Basil Rathbone and Vincent Price--great voices for these stories. But some of the selections sounded like they were being read inside a big barrel (maybe that was supposed to provide some atmosphere for the Cask of Amontillado) and there were several times that I could actually hear pages being turned. That being said, I'm very glad that I listened to this collection--it made it very clear to me that I had ...more
Hollowspine
Oct 29, 2015 Hollowspine rated it really liked it
What to say? To review Edgar Allan Poe? His stories, for me, are far beyond any attempt at review.

Poe has been one of my favorite writers ever since I listened to his stories read aloud to me on Halloween night. His writing, both prose and poetry, is such fun to listen to, really leaps off the page and listening to Vincent Price and Basil Rathbone is a real treat. This collection of some of Poe’s more famous stories and poems are perfect for October listening.

My absolute favorite story will alw
Laurajean
Aug 06, 2010 Laurajean rated it it was amazing
Superb narration of Poe. Well worth a listen, no matter how often you've read Poe.

Rathbone, in particular, excels here. His performance of "The Cask of Amontillado" and "The Tell-Tale Heart" sheds new light on these well known stories.

Listened to it with my family, also Poe fans. It was an enjoyable experience!
David Kirschner
Mar 23, 2015 David Kirschner rated it really liked it
The two narrators on this are amazing. Unfortunately the sound ranges from really quiet to REALLY LOUD. I developed the habit of driving with one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the volume knob, turning it back and forth from 20 to 40 for the duration of these CDs. His most popular stories were my favorite. The Telltale Heart and the one with the cat were the best in the collection. I didn't remember from reading EAP that he did so much opium, but like half these stories have the phr ...more
David Grimaud
Jul 30, 2011 David Grimaud rated it really liked it
I first encountered Edgar Allan Poe in the late sixties in elementary school. A friend of mine had read THE BLACK CAT and desribed the story with relish to me. Like the protagonist in THE IMP OF THE PERVERSE, I was appalled by the story, yet, became more curious of Poe's morbidity over time. I would become a fan in ninth grade literature class after reading THE CASK OF AMONTILLADO, which remains my favorite Poe short story today. And THE RAVEN would become one of my favorite poems.

This audio col
Diane
I prefered reading these stories on the written page as apposed to listening to it as an audio book. The stories are narrated by Vincent Price and Basil Rathbone. I like Basil Rathbone a little bit better. Vincent Price tends to kind of "over-do" it a bit for me. Due to their accents, sometimes it is difficult to understand them, especially since they are "acting" the parts out, not just merely reading them. So when they talk too fast or when their voices rise sometimes it's hard to make out wha ...more
Alex
Aug 03, 2007 Alex rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: horror fans; short story enthusiasts
Shelves: books-on-cd
First off, it's true that the volume control on these CDs is awful. It's also true that the titles of the poems and stories are not announced on the CDs at all. Otherwise, this was a great listen (once I jacked up my car stereo from 5 to 25!)

I had only read a few Poe works before devouring this volume of 20, so this was a highly educational experience. The common themes jump out when the stories are listened to all at once: a typical Poe story has a slightly mad first-person narrator (notable ex
Tonya
Feb 04, 2014 Tonya rated it really liked it
I went in a bit biased because I love Poe, Basil Rathbone, and Vincent Price. I've repeatedly listened to this one. Once all the way through, and then when I have problems relaxing at night, I'll pop in my headphones and listen again. The only reason I couldn't give this 5 stars was because the names for the stories and poems aren't given in the audio. It's fine because I can easily look on my iPod screen if I want to see, but it still makes the transition between stories and poems a bit jarring ...more
Brittany Z
Oct 28, 2015 Brittany Z rated it liked it
This audiobook collection contains the best of Poe's works. My major complaint is the audiobook had no table of contents and didn't introduce each story with stating the title. It was just one big long book with no delineation. Therefore, it would take me a second to recall which story it was or I had to look it up on here. The readers were great--can't go wromg with Vincent Price reading Poe.
Jim
An enjoyable and creepy collection of Poe's stories read by Basil Rathbone and Vincent Price.

Poe's stories are pretty disturbing. Some are more accessible than others. It's interesting that all of these stories are in the first person - many of them are about murder. Some premeditated, some gruesome. I wonder what public reaction was to these stories when they were written. Some of them would be pretty horrifying by today's standards if put to screen.

And what kind of guilt must Poe have been c
Deb
Apr 01, 2015 Deb rated it really liked it
An "unforgettably intense listening experience" says the synopsis. Listening to 6 hours of Poe read by Vincent Price and Basil Rathbone gave me an insight into Poe that reading alone had not achieved. Although I've read The Bells and The Raven countless times, after hearing these poems, I have a truly deeper reverence for them.
Kendall Robinson
Mar 25, 2015 Kendall Robinson rated it it was amazing
Listened to this book while at work. Loved listening to Vincent Price and Basil all day! Just makes me want to read everything like Vincent in my head. Of course the writing was superb although sometimes if I wasn't paying attention the stories would kind of merg into one another and I'd get confused. But overall it was fantastic!
Dianna
Dec 23, 2015 Dianna rated it it was ok
Shelves: listened-to, what-why
The audio is horrible and I think I busted out my speakers in my car trying to hear this.

In addition, I never realized Poe was so repetitive and mediocre. Why is his work considered classic literature? Is it because he's American? I much prefer Mark Twain. Much of "Classic" American Lit. is way to over done.
Todd Martin
Apr 19, 2016 Todd Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The Edgar Allan Poe Audio Collection includes a number of Poe’s noteworthy poems and stories, and although poetry doesn’t do much for me, the stories are excellent. They are as original and compelling today as they were when they were written more than a century and a half ago.
Meredith
Jun 16, 2011 Meredith rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Sir Basil Rathbone and Vincent Price read classic selections from Edgar Allan Poe's canon. Fantastic!

My only complaints are the two already mentioned by other reviewers. 1) The sound quality is horrible, and you have to crank the stereo up to maximum volume to hear the readers. 2) Neither of the narrators say the name of the piece at the beginning of each track; they just begin reading. Most of the stories and poems are famous enough for the listener to recognize or guess, but it's rather annoy
Jay
My only complaint is that the audio volume is soooo low that I was blasted with sound every time I switched back to the radio. Vincent Price's voice reading some Poe tales that I haven't heard before... that was the best part. I liked the stories better than the poems. Poems do sound good when read aloud, but I think the sense is somewhat lost -- on me anyway -- because the words on the page and my ability to look over them are missing. I know The Raven well enough to really enjoy hearing that, ...more
Al
Oct 30, 2015 Al rated it it was amazing
Basil Rathbone and Vincent Price read Edgar Allan Poe classics. Need I say more?
George
Jan 29, 2015 George rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
As mentioned others--Price and Rathbone provide a masterful performance; however, the formatting is grossly unusable, especially to those not already intimately familiar with the works of Poe. I have little to add by way of content review...Poe's masterful. Copyright 2000 by Harper Collins Publishers, this performance is so poor that it makes you wonder how it could have lasted for 14 years and stupid people like me keep buying it.
Barb S.
Oct 24, 2015 Barb S. rated it really liked it
This was a nice late-October listen.
Alida
Jan 19, 2010 Alida rated it really liked it
A wonderful collection of Poe's stories and poems. The brilliant performances by Basil Rathbone and Vincent Price make the stories creepier, if that is possible. The only drawback is the audio itself. I heard it during my commute and I had to put it on the maximum volume in order to listen to the parts where the actors were whispering. I suspect the original tape recordings were not in great shape.
Christina
Oct 31, 2013 Christina rated it it was ok
I gave it a 2 just because I love a couple of the stories. I didn't care for the audio - sometimes I couldn't understand it, or hear it well. Titles were not given at some of the beginnings of the stories, therefore kind of ran together. After hearing this for 4 discs I finally had to give it up.
Chris
Mar 27, 2011 Chris rated it liked it
While interesting to hear the stories read by Basil Rathbone and Vincent Price, they don't even say the names of the stories or poems before being read (although you can guess what most of them are even if you've never read Poe before). Some of them are really, really creepy.
Coyle
Jun 30, 2011 Coyle rated it really liked it
An excellent collection. How do you beat Poe stories read by Basil Rathbone and Vincent Price? Not with a stick, that's for sure...
The major problem with this is that the audio quality is pretty low, which I suppose is understandable, given the age of the recordings.
Lisa Delaine Youngblood
May 22, 2012 Lisa Delaine Youngblood rated it really liked it
These tales of horror, suspense, and physchology are beautifully read by Basil Rathbone and Vincent Price, masters of the macabre. Unfortunately the sound quality is so low that any listener will need to be prepared to turn up his or her listening device dramatically.
Peggy
Aug 16, 2007 Peggy rated it really liked it
The works of Edgar Allen Poe read by Basil Rathbone and Vincent Price. VINCENT PRICE, PEOPLE! I grew up watching those old Hammer Horror Poe adaptations starring Price, so hearing that voice immediately takes me back to Saturday afternoons when I was 8.
Lori (Lara Britt) Sailiata
Old-fashioned, of course. But beyond the Gothic is the genius. A masterful storyteller whose poetry hangs on solid structure and whose prose pulses with varying rhythms of emotion. Such a drive to all his works.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Shards of Time
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Fourteenth Annual Collection
  • Masterpieces of Terror and the Unknown
  • The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3)
  • Shadow Kingdoms (The Weird Works of Robert E. Howard #1)
  • Dracula in London
  • Bradbury Thirteen
  • Breaths in Winter
  • Bending the Landscape: Original Gay and Lesbian Horror Writing
  • Villain's Lair (The Gecko and Sticky, #3)
  • The Odyssey of Homer (Great Courses #302)
  • The Other Brother
  • The Great Tennessee Monkey Trial
  • Haunted America
  • Selected Stories
  • Specimen 313
  • The Empty House and Other Ghost Stories
  • Horror Story and Other Horror Stories
More about Edgar Allan Poe...