Start by marking “In the Night of the Heat (Tennyson Hardwick, #2)” as Want to Read:
In the Night of the Heat (Tennyson Hardwick, #2)

In the Night of the Heat (Tennyson Hardwick #2)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  403 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Award-winning actor and author Blair Underwood joins forces with two amazing and award-winning authors Tananarive Due and Steven Barnes to deliver the second installation in the stunning and provocative Tennyson Hardwick novel In the Night of the Heat.

Threatened with death after acquittal for murder, football superstar T. D. Jackson asks struggling actor and former gigolo
Published September 16th 2008 by Atria Books (first published 2008)

Kestrell
Jun 29, 2012 Kestrell rated it liked it
I would give this book four stars for the writing and the plotting, which are both very good, but I was disappointed by the female characters, all of whom seem to be portrayed as powerless victims and, as in the case of a lot of modern noir, it's the victimization which often provides the justification for the male characters's violence. TD has written such great strong characters in her own books that I was disappointed this didn't seem to carry over into this collaboration. Also, the protagoni ...more
Brandi
Oct 24, 2008 Brandi rated it liked it
Oh Blair Blair Blair. You never know what you're going to get when you pick a book based on the sex appeal of the author.
It took me a little while to get into this one but I finished it like a champ.
And I have to admit that I was wrong about who did it and why.
There are lots of twists and turns to hold your interest.
Also the book is set up nicely to segue into the next in the series without leaving you feeling empty or like something is missing.
A solid read.
Byron Washington
Feb 19, 2016 Byron Washington rated it it was amazing
I will be purchasing the other books in this four book series. Though the books are fanciful, I have thorough enjoyed the exploits of Tennyson "Ten" Hardwick. The books are a quick read, but the plots are well thought out and plausible...at least to me. :-) Buy them and enjoy!!!
Misshaq
Feb 01, 2011 Misshaq rated it it was amazing
I tell you I just can't get enought of this series! Compliments to authors Tananarive Due, Steven Barns and Blair Underwood!

I actually am reading the series in the opposite order the books were written, not on purpose its just that the first book that I came across was the most recent, From Cape Town with Love, that was published in May of 2010. I was so captivated by the life of Tennyson Hardwick that I wanted to learn more about his character. So I just finished reading the second book in the
Shelley Shockley
Sexy underemployed actor and former gigolo turned part time super sleuth Tennyson Hardwick finds himself in the middle of another murder mystery as he tries to get his acting career and personal life on the right track. That's the backdrop for the second installment of the Tennyson Hardwick series In the Night of Heat.
The Hardwick series are the brainchild of actor Blair Underwood and noted authors Tananarive Due and Steven Barnes. They present a picture of Hollywood's upper middle class African
Kimberly Hicks
Jul 09, 2012 Kimberly Hicks rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kimberly by: Goodreads
All I can say is wow!!! The characters you first meet in Casanegra advance ever further In the Night of the Heat, a spin on the movie title, In the Heat of the Night.

Tennyson Hardwick honed his skills after finding out who killed his good friend, Afrodite. However, he's still a little wet behind the ears as a private dick (no pun intended). His naïveté always lands him in hot water, and I hope on his next adventure, which I'm about to read soon, he's learned how to lay low before the bad guys g
D.K.
Jul 04, 2010 D.K. rated it it was amazing
Tennyson Hardwick has struggled to live a normal life, raising a teenager, living with his wheelchair bound father and trying to get a grasp of being romantically involved with one woman. That simply life is rudely interrupted when football legend T. D. Jackson who has received several threats after his acquittal for murder, asked Tennyson, an old college acquaintance, to look into these threats. Tennyson turns him down flat, but later regrets that decision when Jackson is found dead, presumably ...more
Wilhelmina Jenkins
I'll begin this review with a cautionary note: if you would find a fairly graphic, lengthy sex scene between two mutually consenting adults to be off-putting, do not read this book. The protagonist of this book has a past - as an unemployed actor, he became a sex worker, providing "services" for wealthy women in Hollywood. He has left that life behind, but sex is definitely a part of this book.

If you are still interested in this book, you will probably enjoy it as much as I did. This is the seco
Nascha
Sep 16, 2010 Nascha rated it really liked it
In the Night of the Heat is the second book of the Tennyson Hardwick series. Tennyson is an actor and former gigolo who has turned private detective. In this installment, Tennyson had returned to acting but is dismissed for his job around the same time as former football hero TD Jackson turns up dead.
TD Jackson is a former football college and professional star and movie star who kills his wife and her lover in a sensational murder that grips and divides the nation. (Think OJ Simpson.) Before T
J
Jan 02, 2013 J rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
(FROM JACKET)Threatened with death after acquittal for murder, football superstar T.D. Jackson asks struggling actor and former gigolo Tennyson Hardwick for protection. Tennyson has a reputation in Hollywood after solving the murder of rapper Afrodite, but politely turns Jackson down: His acting career is taking off with a new series, and he's trying to work out his personal life after a series of wrong turns.

But Tennyson's life is upturned when his seedy past catches up to him on the set of his
Dacia
Feb 20, 2016 Dacia rated it it was amazing
Wow! Entertaining from start to finish. Tennyson Hardwick has to be the greatest character in fiction right now. I just love him. These have got to be the greatest storytellers in the business. I was totally engrossed in this story. I totally was not expecting the way the story ended. I never would have guessed it. I hated for this story to end. I hope this Tennyson Hardwick series continues for a long time.
Melinda
Jul 13, 2014 Melinda rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, black-writer
This is my second Underwood read and this book is a great sequel to book 1. The trio of Underwood, Tam, Steven give this book the solid mystery thriller punch + a spattering of adult graphic details. I rec this book for thriller, mystery lovers however I cautionary note - this is NOT for those who are sensitive to adult content.
Stephanie Hammer
I cannot say enough good things about this novel, and about the Tennyson Hardwick series as a whole. Authors Steven Barnes, Tananarive Due, and Blair Underwood create a crime fiction story that is action packed, erotic, and also deeply political and thought provoking. If you are interested in civil rights, literature featuring African American protagonists, and/or if you just like a great story, you will love this book!
Serenity L
Apr 28, 2015 Serenity L rated it liked it
I acquired this book at library. They were giving it away. It wasn't what I expected from Tannarive Due. But even so it wasn't bad. I did figure it out on page 268. If I was into murder mysteries I would have rated it higher... but I'm not.
Michael Bell
Apr 02, 2015 Michael Bell rated it it was amazing
Ten Hardwick is the man. Never knew of another male Gigolo who constantly sees reminders of his past in his work. I love his concern towards his Father. His adopted daughter also has a dark past and is trying to adjust as a regular teenager. I don't know if Blair or Erick Jerome Dickey write better love scenes but they are neck and neck.
Kemesha Gabbidon
Apr 04, 2016 Kemesha Gabbidon rated it really liked it
Thrilling read, I enjoyed it completely. This has motivated me to check out Casanegra, first book in the series. Slightly reminiscent of Alex Cross but a bit more rugged and messy. If you like an unconventional crime solving series please check it out.
Yvette Danielle
Feb 09, 2014 Yvette Danielle rated it it was amazing
Tennison is the MAN!
Melina
Mar 31, 2009 Melina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, fiction
I am loving this new series featuring amateur sleuth Tennyson Hardwick... I of course picture him looking like Blair Underwood, one of the co-authors, as I am sure is probably the intent.

There is plenty of intrigue and racy scenes to keep anyone entertained.

This is by no means heavy-duty reading but it is a very good light read for the beach, a Sunday afternoon, or to unwind with after a long week.

I've read the first two and am looking forward to the next!
Khyrra
Feb 23, 2009 Khyrra rated it liked it
Ok, overall, I must say this story was good. If you can make it through the first few chapters, I say give this story a try. It gets kind of hard to tell when Tennyson's character is having a flashback to the action that is taking place in the story itself. However, the ending will surely surprise you if continue on this journey with Tennyson Hardwick. I had genuine fun in trying to figure the who, the what, and the why in this story.
Barbara Travis
Aug 04, 2012 Barbara Travis rated it it was amazing
In The Night of The Heat was fabulous and exciting book. Near the end it had me on the edge of my seat.Detective Tennyson Hardwick was a determined cop desparate to find who murdered T.D Jackson. Eventhough he had to go through some bitter experiences to find the killer. But, it all paid off when he found out who killed T.D. Jackson.It turned out to be his own mother. Sad and heart breaking. I would love to read more of the
authors books/

Ebony
Aug 05, 2011 Ebony rated it really liked it
Shelves: ficton
The In the Night of the Heat ending was awesome. Just when I thought I couldn’t be more surprised, they totally got me. It was definitely worth the read. I’m not much for the martial arts details, but I like Tennyson. He’s so human and honest, that it’s difficult not to root for him. The characters in the second book in the series are consistent and thoroughly developed and I can’t wait to read what happens in installment three.
Carolyn Alleyne
Aug 08, 2013 Carolyn Alleyne rated it it was amazing
This book was even better than the first one. I like that it continued with his family life where the first one left off as it speaks to how the main character is dealing with all the changes that happened to him after he solved the first. I did NOT see the ending coming. It was fantastic! I would never have thought this is the way it was going to turn out. I LOVED it.
Barbara
May 18, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
This was an utterly engrossing, well written novel. And although clearly a work of fiction it was enjoyable to read between the lines and see the places and people that inspired the mystery created in this book. I did not find this to be predictable or improbable. I'm eager to read the next in the series.
Alyce Rocco
Jun 04, 2013 Alyce Rocco rated it it was ok
I do not recall Blair Underwood's novel, In the Night of the Heat, which is why I rated it just Okay.

Despite passage of time between reading and recording here at Good Reads, the blurb usually jogs my memory and I can remember how I felt about a novel (or book) at the time that I read it.
Jtw1951
Nov 08, 2008 Jtw1951 marked it as to-read
I have not read yet but am very anxious to follow the adventures of this very talented man who is reinventing himself to become a man by his own, societal and his father's standards. This book like the first one is a collaboration with Tanarive Due and Stephen Barnes ,husban and wife.
Valerie
Aug 04, 2009 Valerie rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the Tennyson Hardwick series and I enjoyed this one even more than the first. The collaboration between Steven Barnes, Tananarive Due and Blair Underwood is fantastic! If you like good mysteries with a flair, I would highly recommend the series.
Shawnette
Dec 31, 2012 Shawnette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as GOOD as the first book...but still an ENGAGING tale...with another COLORFUL cast of characters some new and some we've already had the pleasure of meeting...I'm looking forward to reading the third book...another INTRIGUING tale from these three authors...KUDOS!
Jaleesa
Apr 05, 2012 Jaleesa rated it it was amazing
Definitely continuing to read this entire series! They don't lie when they say that you'll be surprised, it does keep you guessing and poor Tennyson goes through a lot in each book it seems. A must read series and I'm happy that I am able to have this chance!
Villager
I'm officially hooked. I enjoy Tennyson Hardwick as a character ... and I think that Blair Underwood and his collaborators have created a remarkable literary character. I look forward to reading the 3rd book in this series.
Valerie
Oct 08, 2010 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the first book in the series, this was a fast paced page turner that keep me glued to the very end. Lots of drama, romance, violence, intrigue. All around great book.
  • Devil's Gonna Get Him (Tamara Hayle, #2)
  • When the Thrill Is Gone (Leonid McGill, #3)
  • Fish and Grits
  • Un-Nappily in Love (Nappily, #6)
  • The Living Blood (African Immortals, #2)
  • The Secrets of Newberry
  • In Firm Pursuit
  • Acting Out
  • Inner City Blues (Charlotte Justice, #1)
  • The Sacred Place
  • My Name is Butterfly
  • Ida B.: A Novel
  • Black Orchid Blues
  • Blanche Passes Go
Blair Underwood, a Golden Globe--nominated actor, has received several NAACP Image Awards. Steven Barnes is the author of science fiction novels, including The Legacy of Heorot, and has produced such television shows as The Twilight Zone and Stargate. Tananarive Due is the American Book Award-winning author of six novels, including The Black Rose, My Soul to Keep, The Between, The Living Blood, an ...more
More about Blair Underwood...

Tennyson Hardwick (4 books)
  • Casanegra (Tennyson Hardwick, #1)
  • From Cape Town with Love (Tennyson Hardwick, #3)
  • South by Southeast (Tennyson Hardwick, #4)