Start by marking “Starless Night (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #8)” as Want to Read:
Starless Night (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #8)

Starless Night (Legacy of the Drow #2)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  17,082 ratings  ·  126 reviews
I can find no answers in Mithril Hall....The apparent serenity of Drizzt Do'Urden, the brooding quiet, will show me nothing of the future designs of the drow. yet, for the sake of my friends, I must know those dark intentions. And so I fear that there remains only one place for me to look...

The Underdark. A place of brooding darkness, where no shadows exist, and where Driz
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published August 1994 by Random House TSR (first published July 30th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Starless Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starless Night

Sojourn by R.A. SalvatoreStreams of Silver by R.A. SalvatoreStarless Night by R.A. SalvatoreCormyr by Ed GreenwoodSpellfire by Ed Greenwood
All Forgotten Realms Books
3rd out of 167 books — 17 voters
Homeland by R.A. SalvatoreThe Dark Elf Trilogy Collector's Edition by R.A. SalvatoreThe Icewind Dale Trilogy Collector's Edition by R.A. SalvatoreThe Halfling's Gem by R.A. SalvatoreDissolution by Richard Lee Byers
Best Forgotten Realms Novels
40th out of 129 books — 114 voters

More lists with this book...

Anyone who's been reading Drizzt stories until now probably don't need any reviews to determine whether he keeps reading or not. While I like the many contemplation moments in this book and feel despair and loss as a result of the first book, there's one thing that feels unrealistic - and that's how powerful they are or how lucky they are. Despite the fact that the heroes are heading into enemy territory, things seem to always go their way. I just feel that a couple of the encounters could have ...more
Leliel Mitsukai
I read the first 13 Drizzt books back-to-back, so I sometimes forget what happened in which specific book but I certainly enjoyed the ride. The rating above reflects only the content.

This book stood out for a different reason...The cover is so absolutely atrocious it irked me every time I looked at it. The whole "Legacy" series in this printing is bad, but this one takes the cake. If you aren't familiar with the story, Drizzt is a young drow warrior. In this depiction he looks like an ancient, c
Nov 26, 2014 Tony rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fantasy readers
Reeling from the loss of one of his dearest friends, the warrior dark elf Drizzt journeys back into the Underdark - but can he survive the harsh environment after years of growing accustomed to life on the surface?

In pursuit of Drizzt are his loyal friends: Cattie-brie, the dwarven-raised deceptively tough-as-nails human female, and Guenhwyvar the panther, 600 pounds of fur, teeth, and claws! Meanwhile, the ever-eccentric drow mercenary leader, Jarlaxle, and the human assassin now stuck in the
Fantasy Literature
While reading THE LEGEND OF DRIZZT series, I’ve developed the grim suspicion that every time R.A. Salvatore looks at his characters and thinks “time for some development, lads and lasses,” he immediately starts trying to shoehorn in an adventure to go along with it. Apparently one simply cannot have development through conversation or work or leisure or for that matter anything else that does not involve leaping off the hunched shoulders of your barbarian friend to stab an ogre in the face. Gran ...more
While a bit silly at times (a talking sword?), Starless Night gets into the action quickly.

(The only hitch is that the assassin Entiri gives the magic ruby-pendant back to Drizzt in the last half of the book. Whut. Why?).

The plot is fantastic! The characters are marvelously written into the plot.
The dwarves take a back seat, and the halfing Regis comes into his own leading them. It's powerful and fantastic.
The Joker mercenary, master of manipulation & chaos in the evil dark-elf city drives t
Cari Mcconnell
Drizzt, you are a kick-butt super awsome drow boss, why are you whining like a punk? This will become a reaccuring complaint by the way. This was the one where he gets all emotionally bent out of shape that pain had been caused on his behalf. Then Cattie-brie has to go and drag him out of the caverns. I was at a toss-up over whether Cattie-Brie came across as an awsome empowered female who isn't afraid to risk her life for a friend, or if she more came off as the woman who drives out in the midd ...more
Conan Tigard
R.A. Salvatore has done it again! Starless Night continues a storyline first started in The Legacy. Drizzt Do'Urden is an extremely cool character that I love reading about. Is he the perfect warrior that never makes a mistake? No . . . but that is what I like about him. He is fallible. He is the type of character that all fantasy lovers will feel a bond to right away.

The action sequences in this book are exquisite. Nobody, and I mean nobody, write better battle scenes than R.A. Salvatore. His
Adam Wik
Short Review
If you already really like Drizzt and the Forgotten Real series, or you are currently / have a lot in common with your average 14 year old boy you'll probably enjoy this. Light on substance, heavy on paper thin characters, magic, swords, and general fantasy trappings.

Long Review
Xoxe Garcia
El segundo libro de la tercera saga de Salvatore es un retorno al maravilloso mundo de la Antípoda Oscura y sobretodo de Menzobarrazan por si echabas de menos a los elfos oscuros y es que todo el libro se desarrolla en la siniestra ciudad.

Lloth, las madres matronas y toda la jerarquía de los Drow con todo lo que ello implica (venganza, odio, traición, etc) vuelve a recuperar el protagonismo que tenía en la primera trilogía de El Elfo Oscuro y con nuestro Drizzt de protagonista.

Hay más acción que
I read all of these Drizzt books back to back to back etc, so they all seem to run together as one long story. Add to that fact that I read the "collector's edition" of these, so it was often three to four books shoved into one. It is all entertaining, and even though I usually wanted to read "just one more page", it was somewhat tedious and I more than 100 times wondered why this story was being stretched out as far as it was. I wish I had just read The Icewind Dale Trilogy and The Dark Elf Tri ...more
Starless Night by R.A. Salvatore is the second book in The Legacy of the Drow series and this book brought our main character back to his roots. Upset with the Drow attacking Mithril Hall and the results, Drizzt decides to sacrifice himself, to save his friends, by returning to Menzoberrazan. This is basically a suicide mission that Drizzt does not intend to come back from. Catti-Brie does not want to lose her close friend though, and decides to follow Drizzt.

I liked this sequel to The Legacy be
Adrian Shuffler
"Élete sziklaszilárdnak hitt alapjai homokként folytak el az üvöltő szélben."

Ha van több szálon futó könyv, melyben a szereplők tervei egymásét segítik, vagy épphogy hátráltatják, akkor ez az. Igazán sokat kellett gondolkodnom legalább minden második oldal után, hogy a könyv által okozott fejfájás elmúljon. Túlságosan összetett az egész, már-már tökéletesen.

Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
Another thrilling book in the Drizzt series! In this installment, we learn that the evil drow are planning to lay seige to Mithril Hall and take it for their own. When Drizzt discovers this, he leaves his friends to travel to the drow Underdark city of his childhood to turn himself in and try to stop the seige. Catti-brie finds out and follows after him, determined to bring him back to safety.

I really enjoyed this book and found myself on the edge of my seat for nearly the duration of the book,
I mentioned to my wife that The Legacy was like Salvatore's Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, in that it really broke out of the formulaicism of its predecessors, and hinted at much greater depth in the overall story and main characters*.

If that's the case, then Starless Night is like Order of the Phoneix-- well-written, but with main chararcters that make decisions so stupid, you wish you could reach into the book and smack them.

Seriously... Drizzt? Cattie-Bree? What's your plan? Are you ser
Apr 03, 2013 Jessica rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: R.A. Salvatore fans
Shelves: 2007, 2013
A Review of Starless Night by R.A. Salvatore

Rating: Two Stars

Edition: Mass Market Paperback

Genre: Fantasy/Dungeons & Dragons

This is one of R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt Do'Urden/Forgotten Realms books and is the second book in the Legacy of the Drow series. I've never been very crazy about ANY book that is based off of a Dungeons and Dragons world. My husband really loves all of the Forgotten Realms books, so we have a lot of them sitting around the house. And, of course, if there is a book sittin
Ricky Ganci
Again, sort of a disappointing volume of the Drizzt books. Lots of action, tons of violence, but not a whole lot of plot. There's some interesting ideas about a person reverting back to their darker nature in the aftermath of tragedy, but not a whole lot of well-developed ideas like the Dark Elf Trilogy presented. The sequence of events was extremely simple, though convoluted by subplots that didn't really make a whole lot of sense some time. I found myself dozing off and skimming during the lon ...more
David Williams
In the last novel a raid was launched to capture Drizzt and return him to the city of Menzzoberanzen. Drizzt was able to escape with the help of his friends, but not without a price. The noble barbarian Wulfgar fell in battle with an creature from another dimension. His friends grieve over his loss. Bruenor can barely function as king in Mithril Hall. Drizzt knows that his enemies will keep coming for him no matter what. So he decides to end it. What is plans are never become quite apparent. He ...more
Not one of the stronger Drizzt volumes. I am now conflicted regarding Cati-Brie's strengths as a character as I rather disliked and found it to be lazy writing regarding the impetuous nature of her going on her adventure.

And there's that weird old slightly elfish grandpa on the cover again.
Seriously, were they afraid to put a Drow on the cover? Who approved this?
R.A. Salvatore right now is my favorite fantasy writer. This is a great book, with plenty of politics (though less than George R. R. Martin’s books) and magic. Honestly, the fighting seemed to get in the way, and I probably would give this book 4.5 stars, but I do not see how to do that. Anyway, if you like Dark Elves, you will truly enjoy this book.
So..much..battling; I think this story would have gotten a higher rating had there not been such an abundance. I give Salvatore credit for painting an epic battle scene in the mind, but there were far too many of them. It felt like he was making up for a lack of plotline.

The story, however, was overall quite engaging and constantly left you wondering what was going to happen next. The unlikely alliances, twists and wrenching emotions were wonderfully done.
The legend of Drizzt continues with the dark elf going back into Menzoberranzan, to surrender himself to the enemies of Mithral Hall. This way, he hopes to avert the danger of the drow attacking the dwarven citadel.

The book is written in the same easy style, with a lot of focus on the fight scenes. Sometimes it gets frustrating the amount of detail put into the choreography of the sword fights, but it still is the best part of the book.

All characters seem to be unmoved by the events of this book
Isaac Clarke
მენზობერანზანში დაბრუნება, დროუ და ინტრიგები, ჯარლაქსი და ბრეგან დ'აერტი, კეტი ბრი თავისი ტულმარილით - ეგ ყველაფერი კარგი და გადასარევი მაგრამ...

(view spoiler)
I actually really was enjoying this book. Until the end. At the end all the characters become overpowered and boring again. It's sad really but I wish things felt more realistic than they actually do. Taking hit after damaging hit and not feeling it until you've already won isn't very real to me.

Also just putting "evil" in front of things doesn't actually convince me that they are. For example: "The evil kitten curled up and fell asleep."

Why is the kitten evil? She doesn't seem evil to me? Oh be
Gregory Steiner
Beginning was much more enjoyable than the second half of the book. I don't really enjoy concentrating on imagining every single sword movement in a fight. The latter part of the book was full of most of this and made it somewhat frustrating. Overall still a decent book though.
I don't know why, but I always get especially caught up in these books whenever Drizzt returns to Menzoberranzan. I just find the drow and their intrigues very captivating. (Maybe it's just a relief from all the fight scenes.)

This was intriguing and thrilling, as always, though not my favorite of the series so far. It was somehow not as enthralling, and I think it may have moved a little too fast in parts, leaving out some of the detail I so love. My minor inhibitions aside, however, it was exce
Still pretty much old-school D&D-flavored fantasy, but you can sense things inevitably changing. After a while in the same world it's good for a writer to start breaking some molds, and you can sort of feel that coming with this series.
Mar 10, 2010 Ben rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Drizzt or drow Fans
Recommended to Ben by: Paul Whitfield
Goodreads Librari...: Page count 0786948612 5 19 Nov 03, 2014 09:11PM
  • Tangled Webs (Starlight & Shadows #2)
  • Resurrection (Forgotten Realms:  War of the Spider Queen, #6)
  • Insurrection (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #2)
  • Prince of Lies (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #4)
  • Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #5)
  • Extinction (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #4)
  • Condemnation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #3)
  • Dissolution (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #1)
  • Tantras (Forgotten Relalms: Avatar #2)
  • The Temptation of Elminster (Forgotten Realms: Elminster, #3)
  • Annihilation (Forgotten Realms: War of the Spider Queen, #5)
  • Song Of The Saurials (Forgotten Realms: Finder's Stone, #3)
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best-seller list ...more
More about R.A. Salvatore...

Legacy of the Drow (4 books)
  • The Legacy (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #7)
  • Siege of Darkness (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #9)
  • Passage to Dawn (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #4; Legend of Drizzt, #10)

“What is it about your race that none of you can seem to properly weigh your own value? Every human seems to think more of herself than she should, or less of herself than is sensible!” 2 likes
“But in his years among the drow, Drizzt Do'Urden had learned to look beyond physical beauty and physical attraction. Drizzt did not separate the physical from the emotional. He was a superb fighter because he fought with his heart and would no sooner battle merely for the sake of battle than he would mate for the sake of the physical act.” 1 likes