Start by marking “Moby Dick (Great Illustrated Classics)” as Want to Read:
Moby Dick (Great Illustrated Classics)

Moby Dick (Great Illustrated Classics)

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,673 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
For generations, readers have enjoyed classic literature. They have delighted in the romance of Jane Austen, thrilled at the adventures of Jules Verne, and pondered the lessons of Aesop. Introduce young readers to these familiar volumes with Great Illustrated Classics. In this series, literary masterworks have been adapted for young scholars. Large, easy-to-read type and c ...more
Published December 3rd 2005 by Abdo Publishing Company (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Moby Dick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moby Dick

Bob Hoffman
Mar 06, 2012 Bob Hoffman rated it it was amazing
At times, life’s voyage can be a bit like wading through Moby Dick. Page after page. chapter after chapter, wave after wave. Sometimes there’s great discovery, sometimes ambivalence, sometimes boredom. Every now and then one spots a whale---but where’s the one that haunts you? Where’s the great white one?

The author’s study of the whale is exhaustive. He spends three whole chapters on the sperm whale’s head, one on the spout, one on the tail, two on the skeleton, another on ambergris, a substance
Nikki Nielsen
Dec 03, 2011 Nikki Nielsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should have the opportunity to read this version of Moby Dick by candle light, in one sitting, and in front of a roaring fire while a 142 mph windstorm rages outside! My kids were hanging on every word and we all lost ourselves in the whaling adventure.

The original unabridged version of Moby Dick is very informative but I remember it containing so much whaling detail and being so dry in some parts that I thought it was both one of my favorite stories and one that I would never pick up
Joseph Rivera
Oct 02, 2014 Joseph Rivera rated it really liked it
Moby dick is a story about a schoolmaster named ishmel who goes to the sea when he feels the need to heal himself spiritually. This time he decides to go whaling instead of going to a normal boat. On his way he meets a canibal indian named queegueg who becomes his best friend. They both go to a ship with a ragher strange captain. He has an obsession with finding and killing the whale that stripped him of his leg, moby dick, or the white whale. The two pals decide to join the crew, will they find ...more
Ben
Feb 28, 2013 Ben rated it really liked it
I read this with my son, as I thought he would appreciate the story, but would not be able to handle Melville's cetological masterpiece just yet (not for many more years), with its long discussions of whales and nautical terms. Of course, the writing doesn't stack up to Melville's classic, but I still enjoyed the storyline and my son said it was his favorite book that we've read to date (of course he says that almost every time we finish a new book).
Christina
Nov 15, 2014 Christina rated it liked it
Enjoyable book. Personally it was a bit too easy and very boring. It seemed like nothing was ever happening. You are taken along the journey for the seek of the Great White Whale Moby dick, who had been the cause to many unfortunate injuries. The book just goes on about tales of the captain and the short struggles that they seek. The ending is terrible and i was glad to be finished with that never ending dull book.
Julia Brumfield
First of all I want to say that I didn't read the actual Moby Dick but the Great Illustrated Classics version and that is what my review is going to be based on. Why read this version written to a younger crowd? Easily put since my sister is into the Classics and couldn't get past the first few pages to end the regular book while other reviews of the actual book mention the same conflict.

Anyway the "Great Illustrated Classics Moby Dick" was interesting to say the least and had the adventure th
Matt
Oct 11, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it
Herman Melvilles Moby Dick is about a captains obsession to whale one specific whale he calls moby dick. I enjoyed reading this book a lot, it wasn't the best book I've read but good enough for four stars. The book really hooked me and I felt like I was part of the adventure.

The theme of the book is to not become obsessive over anything and don't underestimate the power of the wild or Mother Nature. Melville made me really feel like I was apart of it with his style of writing, setting, and tone
Philip
Oct 22, 2011 Philip added it
Moby Dick
By: Herman Melville
Published in 1851
Genre: Adventure

The story tells the adventures of the wandering sailor Ishmael and his voyage on the Whaleship Pequod, commanded by Captain Ahab. Ishmael soon learns that on this voyage Ahab has one purpose, to seek out a specific whale: Moby Dick, a ferocious, mysterious white sperm whale. In a previous encounter, the whale destroyed Ahab's boat and bit off his leg, which now drives Ahab to take revenge.
The theme of this book is that you can never
Cody Christodoulou
Nov 20, 2013 Cody Christodoulou rated it it was ok
Moby Dick, by Shirley Bogart, brings me back to when I was younger. The only difference is that it was a picture book and had less details. This version of the book was pretty easy to follow and is very descriptive of each character. As almost everyone knows, this book is about a whaler (someone who hunts whales) named Captain Ahab who seeks revenge upon the white whale named Moby Dick for taking his leg. The plot of the story is obviously Ahab’s mission for revenge. It takes place in the wide o ...more
Ben Kormos
Jan 09, 2015 Ben Kormos rated it it was amazing
I read Moby Dick. This book is by Herman Melville. The main charactors are Ahab, Quequeeg, Ishamel,and the crew of the ship. Ishamel and Quequeeg are both bed mates for the voyage. Ahab is the captin of the ship. His leg was bitten off by Moby Dick ealier when he hunted for Moby Dick. Moby Dick is a great white whale. They Hunt for the whale it takes several weeks to do this but the find. They go through a lot of trouble. Moby destroyed boats injured people and killed some people. Then in the f ...more
Sonja Adams
Aug 07, 2015 Sonja Adams rated it really liked it
I read this with my 7-year old. She enjoyed it a lot more than I thought she would. After reading this version she said when she is older she wants to read the "grown up" version. I call this a win.
Cameron
Sep 14, 2015 Cameron rated it liked it
The book Moby Dick portrays the story of a man who is determined to kill the whale known as Moby Dick. Stopping at nothing to kill the whale, the man goes crazy for this whale. Written by Shirley Bogart.
Kimberly S.
Aug 31, 2009 Kimberly S. rated it liked it
Moby Dick by- Herman Melville This book was very interesting. It was better than I thought it would be because of all the action and perseverence for example when Captain Ahab never stoped untill Moby Dick was killed. I really liked that the author told you about the whale boat like what the blubber rooms where etc. This book used old english like thee and thus. I'm really not a fan of old english. I liked all the action this book had the author did a great job at that. I wished Herman Melville ...more
Beth Cooper
Jan 31, 2016 Beth Cooper rated it it was amazing
Read aloud to my eight year old. This is abridged and the illustrations and length were just enough to hold his attention. He loved it.
Paige Murphy
Feb 15, 2016 Paige Murphy rated it really liked it
Javhon Poindexter
Mar 01, 2016 Javhon Poindexter rated it it was ok
like this book but somethimes i was lost in the story with all the names and charters and ships
Rebecca
Oct 16, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
I just re-read this classic aloud to my seven year old daughter Gerilyn. I believe this version is slightly abbreviated and it is also illustrated. These facts may have contributed to my high enjoyment level. I remember finding this book tedious in high school but not so now. The book was exciting and extremely interesting. For those unfamiliar with the plot, a whaling captain becomes obsessed with hunting down a white whale who is responsible for the captain's missing leg.
I would like to coll
Sylvester
Aug 11, 2015 Sylvester rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, animals, adventure
It wasn't bad or anything but way too condensed from the original work.
Neil Hart
Feb 16, 2016 Neil Hart rated it really liked it
Exciting reads for young readers.
Sonya
Oct 09, 2014 Sonya rated it did not like it
I'm sorry, I just don't see what all the fuss is about. Hmm maybe if I was an 8 year old boy living in the times this book is set, my review would be different.
However I purchased this to just say " yes, I have read, Moby Dick " .
The first two chapters were promising, but chasing and killing all those whales became ho hum boring and routinely one after the other, seriously who wants to read that anyway.
I really feel there is not enough to this quite basic story to become the ' classic' that eve
Nicole
Nov 29, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing
In my opinion,I think the book,Moby Dick by Shirley Bogart is a fast paced adventure.I really enjoyed reading this book because Moby dick(the whale)acts so much like a human and it makes me realize how real humans act.This book will impact you and it's an great adventure.This book is for young adults because younger kids might have some trouble reading it.If this book were a series I would definetly keep on reading the series.I would love to meet the author in person.I really enjoyed this book.
Adam
Mar 31, 2007 Adam rated it liked it
Shelves: read-as-a-kid
This isn't actually Moby-Dick -- it's a children's illustrated version, made up of the original prose (heavily abridged, of course) with illustrations on every other page or so. I read it a decade and a half ago, but it must have been good, because many of the essential images -- Queequeg's coffin bubbling up from the whirlpool, the sailors tempering their harpoons with blood, Ahab bound to the whale -- stuck with me until I was old enough to read the real thing.
Joshua Dominguez26768
Oct 08, 2014 Joshua Dominguez26768 rated it really liked it
I think "Moby Dick" is a great book with powerful writing to start out with. I think the strengths in the book are the difficult vocabulary words. It is also an entertaining book. For example, when the author describes how the captain killed Moby Dick and how the captain dies at the same time. this book is not apart of a series but it is a guide to reading the real book. Overall, this book was pretty good, and I think most people would like it if you gave it a try.
Chris
Aug 27, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it
Living on the east coast in Massachusetts, allowed me to picture the towns and the setting. Having gone on a whale watch helped as well. This book was way ahead of it time and wasn't really even discovered until after Melville's death. (Like most great artists) Youo may need to read it with a nautical dictionary handy. I loved it. They really need to remake the movie now that technology has finally caught up to the descriptions. Atleast read the abridged version.
Liam Hines
Mar 01, 2014 Liam Hines rated it it was amazing
This was a great book, It wasn't the original copy because that copy was way to big to read in a month. It really starts off with him telling the reader what he wants to do in his life. Its a fast moving book but it gets all the info out. After he explains whats been going on in his life he tries to make his dream happen, so he decided to find a ship that could help him with the whaling. He meats a person that is an Indian, and become good friends.
Nick
May 28, 2014 Nick rated it really liked it
I think this version of Moby Dick was great, it was a book I couldn't put down. The character was likable and his journey was full of ups and downs. The only thing I ddin't like about the book was that it was mainly the events leading up to the ship setting sail and go after Moby Dick. It should have talked about more on the journey of the sea men trying to capture the beast. It is a easy read so if you want a hard book then don't pick this.
Jenni Cavallero
Sep 11, 2012 Jenni Cavallero rated it it was ok
The language in this book is intriguing and beautiful but it takes a bit of time to get used to and really understand, (not saying I ever got to the point of fully understanding it). I would have loved this book if it had remained a story, but I did not sign up for the lesson on Sperm whales throughout the novel. Yes, I learned plenty... but I would have really liked to just read the story through without the little narrations in between.
Ketrisse
May 04, 2010 Ketrisse rated it did not like it
Perhaps I was reading an abridged children's version, because as I was reading this I kept thinking it was poorly written. The motives of the characters were unexplained, and while the premise was interesting I kept waiting for a point to the story and was continually disappointed. The language of the writing was very simple with out a lot of description or emotional depth... All in all I wondered why it was called a classic.
Kristi
Dec 20, 2014 Kristi rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-list
Who am I kidding ..I'm never going to probably read the "real" unabridged novel Moby Dick. So Great Illustrated Classics will have to do! I enjoyed this mainly in terms of plot & getting a sense of the story. The illustrations actually added quite a bit, given that much of the descriptive passages on whaling by Melville are not present. And Ahab's futility of chasing the white whale is still front and center.
David
Sep 18, 2012 David rated it it was ok
Too much detail. It had its good parts, but far between.
Main action is only the last few chapters.
Took me over a year to get through it. Reading here and there off of my iTouch.
Glad they did not make me read this in school, it would have been pure torture at a young age.
I gave it a 2 stars, just because I thought Mr. Melville spent a lot of time to write it. Other wise I would only have given it 1 star.
  • The Mutiny on Board HMS Bounty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Last of the Mohicans (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • David Copperfield (Illustrated Classic Editions)
  • Black Beauty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Little Women (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Call of the Wild (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Dracula (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • A Tale of Two Cities