Start by marking “Moby Dick (Great Illustrated Classics)” as Want to Read:
Moby Dick (Great Illustrated Classics)

Moby Dick (Great Illustrated Classics)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  1,389 ratings  ·  110 reviews
For generations, readers have enjoyed classic literature. They have delighted in the romance of Jane Austen, thrilled at the adventures of Jules Verne, and pondered the lessons of Aesop. Introduce young readers to these familiar volumes with Great Illustrated Classics. In this series, literary masterworks have been adapted for young scholars. Large, easy-to-read type and c ...more
Published December 3rd 2005 by Abdo Publishing Company (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Moby Dick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moby Dick

Bob Hoffman
At times, life’s voyage can be a bit like wading through Moby Dick. Page after page. chapter after chapter, wave after wave. Sometimes there’s great discovery, sometimes ambivalence, sometimes boredom. Every now and then one spots a whale---but where’s the one that haunts you? Where’s the great white one?

The author’s study of the whale is exhaustive. He spends three whole chapters on the sperm whale’s head, one on the spout, one on the tail, two on the skeleton, another on ambergris, a substance
Joseph Rivera
Moby dick is a story about a schoolmaster named ishmel who goes to the sea when he feels the need to heal himself spiritually. This time he decides to go whaling instead of going to a normal boat. On his way he meets a canibal indian named queegueg who becomes his best friend. They both go to a ship with a ragher strange captain. He has an obsession with finding and killing the whale that stripped him of his leg, moby dick, or the white whale. The two pals decide to join the crew, will they find ...more
Nikki Nielsen
Everyone should have the opportunity to read this version of Moby Dick by candle light, in one sitting, and in front of a roaring fire while a 142 mph windstorm rages outside! My kids were hanging on every word and we all lost ourselves in the whaling adventure.

The original unabridged version of Moby Dick is very informative but I remember it containing so much whaling detail and being so dry in some parts that I thought it was both one of my favorite stories and one that I would never pick up
Ben
I read this with my son, as I thought he would appreciate the story, but would not be able to handle Melville's cetological masterpiece just yet (not for many more years), with its long discussions of whales and nautical terms. Of course, the writing doesn't stack up to Melville's classic, but I still enjoyed the storyline and my son said it was his favorite book that we've read to date (of course he says that almost every time we finish a new book).
Christina
Enjoyable book. Personally it was a bit too easy and very boring. It seemed like nothing was ever happening. You are taken along the journey for the seek of the Great White Whale Moby dick, who had been the cause to many unfortunate injuries. The book just goes on about tales of the captain and the short struggles that they seek. The ending is terrible and i was glad to be finished with that never ending dull book.
Ben Kormos
I read Moby Dick. This book is by Herman Melville. The main charactors are Ahab, Quequeeg, Ishamel,and the crew of the ship. Ishamel and Quequeeg are both bed mates for the voyage. Ahab is the captin of the ship. His leg was bitten off by Moby Dick ealier when he hunted for Moby Dick. Moby Dick is a great white whale. They Hunt for the whale it takes several weeks to do this but the find. They go through a lot of trouble. Moby destroyed boats injured people and killed some people. Then in the f ...more
Guadalupe Jordan
I do not hate or love the book Moby Dick. The book "Moby Dick" is not a book to say that I was on the edge of my seat. The text writing is very easy until it comes to some vocabulary. I do not recommend this book because sometimes there is boredom, a cliff edge, and sometimes its just the author going on and on about the minorest details. For example, in one of the chapters he was just talking about how the ocean weather was for about one or two paragraphs. Moby Dick's theme is all bout revenge ...more
Sonya
I'm sorry, I just don't see what all the fuss is about. Hmm maybe if I was an 8 year old boy living in the times this book is set, my review would be different.
However I purchased this to just say " yes, I have read, Moby Dick " .
The first two chapters were promising, but chasing and killing all those whales became ho hum boring and routinely one after the other, seriously who wants to read that anyway.
I really feel there is not enough to this quite basic story to become the ' classic' that eve
Matt
Herman Melvilles Moby Dick is about a captains obsession to whale one specific whale he calls moby dick. I enjoyed reading this book a lot, it wasn't the best book I've read but good enough for four stars. The book really hooked me and I felt like I was part of the adventure.

The theme of the book is to not become obsessive over anything and don't underestimate the power of the wild or Mother Nature. Melville made me really feel like I was apart of it with his style of writing, setting, and tone
Philip
Oct 22, 2011 Philip added it
Moby Dick
By: Herman Melville
Published in 1851
Genre: Adventure

The story tells the adventures of the wandering sailor Ishmael and his voyage on the Whaleship Pequod, commanded by Captain Ahab. Ishmael soon learns that on this voyage Ahab has one purpose, to seek out a specific whale: Moby Dick, a ferocious, mysterious white sperm whale. In a previous encounter, the whale destroyed Ahab's boat and bit off his leg, which now drives Ahab to take revenge.
The theme of this book is that you can never
Cody Christodoulou
Moby Dick, by Shirley Bogart, brings me back to when I was younger. The only difference is that it was a picture book and had less details. This version of the book was pretty easy to follow and is very descriptive of each character. As almost everyone knows, this book is about a whaler (someone who hunts whales) named Captain Ahab who seeks revenge upon the white whale named Moby Dick for taking his leg. The plot of the story is obviously Ahab’s mission for revenge. It takes place in the wide o ...more
Nicole
In my opinion,I think the book,Moby Dick by Shirley Bogart is a fast paced adventure.I really enjoyed reading this book because Moby dick(the whale)acts so much like a human and it makes me realize how real humans act.This book will impact you and it's an great adventure.This book is for young adults because younger kids might have some trouble reading it.If this book were a series I would definetly keep on reading the series.I would love to meet the author in person.I really enjoyed this book.
Joshua Dominguez26768
I think "Moby Dick" is a great book with powerful writing to start out with. I think the strengths in the book are the difficult vocabulary words. It is also an entertaining book. For example, when the author describes how the captain killed Moby Dick and how the captain dies at the same time. this book is not apart of a series but it is a guide to reading the real book. Overall, this book was pretty good, and I think most people would like it if you gave it a try.
Liam Hines
This was a great book, It wasn't the original copy because that copy was way to big to read in a month. It really starts off with him telling the reader what he wants to do in his life. Its a fast moving book but it gets all the info out. After he explains whats been going on in his life he tries to make his dream happen, so he decided to find a ship that could help him with the whaling. He meats a person that is an Indian, and become good friends.
Nick
I think this version of Moby Dick was great, it was a book I couldn't put down. The character was likable and his journey was full of ups and downs. The only thing I ddin't like about the book was that it was mainly the events leading up to the ship setting sail and go after Moby Dick. It should have talked about more on the journey of the sea men trying to capture the beast. It is a easy read so if you want a hard book then don't pick this.
Brittney
Jan 04, 2015 Brittney rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People Who Enjoy Classics
This book was pretty awesome, I have never read a classic that I flew through so, quickly. The characters were so thought out and the story line was absolutely great. It was interesting to see how things were different back then and how obsessed Captian Ahab was with finding and killing Moby Dick. I am not sure if I'll pick up the original version, but, I might!
Danielle
Good abridged version. I read this one out loud with my daughter and she really enjoyed it. Gives you a good feel for the classic without the huge time commitment. Makes me want to revisit the original. I "read" it in college via mostly spark notes. It's on the in case I'm ever bedridden for a few months list next to War & Peace. ;)
Perseonn
This was the first version of Moby Dick that I read. Compared to the full version, this abridged version is better due to the overall length of the story. I like the story, but I can't help to notice how unbelievably slow it is.

Spoiler alert, Moby dick appears on the final arc of the story.
Tiffany
The only version of Moby Dick I could actually finish. I made it halfway through the full book years ago but could go no further without smashing my head upon a wall.
I may go back to the book now and find in further detail the passages that interested me from this condensed version.
Dana(TheBookWasBetter)
I finally took the time to read this classic. Not what I am used to reading, and not the ending I was expecting. Even with how classic this story is I did not know how it would all end. A good read for sure, but not something I will look to read others like.
Srikari Downey Jr.
3.5 stars...

It was an entertaining book......... i loved the way he survives and lives in the forests and stuff....!!!
The book was nice and i liked everything abt the book except
his name.... Moby Dick
You gotta be kidding me XP
Angela
What a great reminder of what anger and holding grudges can do to a person as happened to Ahab. I'm glad Parker and I could discuss waft holding grudges can do to a person and how important it is to forgive as it can truly consume you.
Kimberly S.
Moby Dick by- Herman Melville This book was very interesting. It was better than I thought it would be because of all the action and perseverence for example when Captain Ahab never stoped untill Moby Dick was killed. I really liked that the author told you about the whale boat like what the blubber rooms where etc. This book used old english like thee and thus. I'm really not a fan of old english. I liked all the action this book had the author did a great job at that. I wished Herman Melville ...more
Meagan
Very cool.

Still a little gruesome. I thought it had been tamed down for a much younger audience. Still would wait til middle school aged for my kids.
Tom D
Excellent book about the greatest whale story of them all, a true legend of a book, never gets boring to read it. My favourite book of all time.
Rebecca
I just re-read this classic aloud to my seven year old daughter Gerilyn. I believe this version is slightly abbreviated and it is also illustrated. These facts may have contributed to my high enjoyment level. I remember finding this book tedious in high school but not so now. The book was exciting and extremely interesting. For those unfamiliar with the plot, a whaling captain becomes obsessed with hunting down a white whale who is responsible for the captain's missing leg.
I would like to coll
Christian Gervais
I thought it was adventurous and exciting at the same time.
Grant Sherman
Great book, the ending was so suspense full. With our main character being washed out to sea and being the only one that survived mobey dick. Such a good book that I'm sad it's coming to an end.
Jason Bowden
Moby Dick was an easy read and it was very exciting.
  • The Mutiny on Board HMS Bounty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Last of the Mohicans (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Call of the Wild (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Little Women (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Black Beauty (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • A Tale of Two Cities
  • The Three Musketeers (Great Illustrated Classics)
The Prince and the Pauper (Great Illustrated Classics) The Time Machine (Great Illustrated Classics) Nelly, That's Not Nice! The Time Machine Moby-Dick; or, The Whale

“In thoughts of the visions of the night, I saw long rows of angels in paradise, each with his hands in a jar of spermaceti.” 2 likes