Start by marking “The Magical Garden of Claude Monet (Anholt's Artists)” as Want to Read:
The Magical Garden of Claude Monet (Anholt's Artists)

The Magical Garden of Claude Monet (Anholt's Artists)

Julie is a happy little girl who lives in Paris, but she wishes she could walk in a country garden. Julie is pleased when her mother decides to take her to visit the most wonderful garden in the world, owned by a great friend of the family.

They arrive at their destination, and for this little girl it is like walking in a dreamy world where twisting plants grow as tall as
Published October 1st 2007 by Barron's Educational Series (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Magical Garden of Claude Monet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magical Garden of Claude Monet

The Curious Garden by Peter  BrownMiss Rumphius by Barbara CooneyThe Gardener by Sarah StewartPlanting a Rainbow by Lois EhlertMy Garden by Kevin Henkes
Picture Books About Gardens
16th out of 176 books — 104 voters
Ish by Peter H. ReynoldsThe Dot by Peter H. ReynoldsBeautiful Oops! by Barney SaltzbergNot a Box by Antoinette PortisGreen by Laura Vaccaro Seeger
Great Books for the Elementary Art Room
23rd out of 144 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

Gerry
Oct 24, 2015 Gerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Julie lives with her mum in an apartment overlooking the river and from her balcony she wishes fervently that they had a garden. Julie's mum, also a painter, tells her that when she has finished the painting that she was doing she would take Julie to a most wonderful garden, which belongs to her friend, the artist Claude Monet. Their dog Louey was to accompany them.

They took a train into the countryside and once they alighted, Louey ran off down a hill into a lane and squeezed under a door in a
David
Aug 27, 2011 David rated it it was amazing
The Magical Garden of Claude Monet (Anholt's Artists Books for Children) by Laurence Anholt is a wonderful story of a young girl's visit to Monet's Gardens.

The story is based on Julie Manet, daughter of the painter Berthe Morisot, who owned a greyhound named Laertes (or Louie). In this story, Julie looks for Louie and enlists the help of Monet, whom she mistakes for the gardener. Together they explore the magical gardens, coming across Louie by four of Monet's famous paintings. An author's note
Dolly
Oct 10, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful tale about the famous artist Claude Monet. The story highlights his famous gardens, his artwork and his penchant for having his meals precisely on time. I love that the story also shows the fondness and camaraderie between different artists of the time.

The narrative is entertaining and not too long and the illustrations are wonderful, evoking the impressionistic feel of Mr. Monet's paintings. We also liked the author's note at the end of the story that explains some of the hi
Annell
Oct 06, 2010 Annell rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this story and so did my girls. It's full of beautiful illustrations and paintings. As soon as we read it, I took out my large book of paintings by Monet to show them. They absolutely loved comparing the pictures of the real paintings to the children's story. Afterward, without any prompting from me, both of them grabbed their watercolors and started to make their own masterpieces. Such an inspiring book for my budding artists!

Kris
Apr 18, 2016 Kris rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love that these books introduce my children to new artists in such a relatable way. Now my 7 year old wants to go see Monet's garden outside of Paris.
Lindsay
Oct 13, 2011 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Shelves: international, poetry
Laurence Anholt, author of "The Magical Garden of Claude Monet, is a british writer and illustrator. This story is about a young girl Julie that lives in Paris, but always seeks country life. Her mother takes her to Giverny, Claude Monet's house and gardens, where she befriends Claude Monet himself. This book gives students the opportunity to gain perspective on this famous place that resides 40 miles from Paris. I love that it gives children the opportunity to travel to a place far away that th ...more
Cruth
Author/Illustrator: Laurence Anholt
First Published: 2007

30ish pages, easy vocabulary, full colour, full page illustrations in the style of Monet, focussing on his garden pictures.

Another book from Anholt's Artists collection, this time focussing on Claude Monet and his garden.

Anholt bases his Artists' collection on the stories of real children who met the artists. In "The Magical Garden of Claude Monet", Julie Manet, daughter of Impressionist Berthe Morisot, travels by train to Monet's home and
Elizabeth Sousa
Sep 14, 2013 Elizabeth Sousa rated it really liked it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Frank Serafini
The Magical Garden of Claude Monet by Laurence Anholt is a picture book filled with the art of Claude Monet. There are eight photographic renditions of Monet's work within this book, along with a mix of original illustrations that complement the works of Monet. The illustrations change intermittently from full bleed - extending to the end of the page without a border, to framed by white background and text. Usually, the framed pictures showcase Julie, our main character. Julie is a young girl li ...more
Brittany
Sep 14, 2013 Brittany rated it liked it
Shelves: fine-arts
In this book, the words are used to enhance the pictures. I looked through the book several times, soaking in the pictures before reading the words. The soft, inviting colors give a calming, flowing affect to the reader. Some of the pictures are actual paintings of the artist Claude Monet. I loved how the artist was able to incorporate some of the original paintings to create this story.
This is a story about how paintings can give you the feeling of stepping into them. The character Julie was a
Janet
Jul 04, 2012 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could just read an adult bio of Monet and some of the other artists I like, but what fun would that be. It is fresh and interesting to discovera few facts and facets about the artist in picture books, especially this onewith good illustrations and the the interesting relationship between Monet and the little girl Julie. Till this title I thought Monet just liked to paint gardens and didn't realize he was also a gardener. No wonder his paintings are wonderful as he knows his subject matter from ...more
Leah Mullenaux
Nov 26, 2012 Leah Mullenaux rated it it was amazing
This was a very cute book about a young girl who meets Claude Monet and walks through his garden.
The story line wasn't the main focus of the book for me, because the illustrations out-shone everything. They were so beautiful. The illustrator incorporated ideas and components from Monet's real paintings into the pictures of the story. It even includes a huge, beautiful fold-out page of a river scene. It is really a wonderful book. I also like it because it introduces children to very famous, infl
Whole And
Excellent for learning about Monet's life and works.
This book is a wonderful resource to explore art at home through Monet's eyes.

Sophia
Apr 22, 2014 Sophia rated it it was amazing
I liked how the illustrator put the pictures of Claude Monet into the book. I liked the story a lot too.
AmberLibrarian
Loved the details in the Historical Note!
Karen
Jul 09, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
I've always had a special affinity for Monet. I am quite sure he suffered from myopia because his paintings look like my world without corrective lenses. Also, his water garden in Giverny is one of the most beautiful places in the world. So I saved this book for last (so far) and Laurence Anholt did not disappoint.

The illustrations are lush and gorgeous, especially the fold-out pages, and again, Anholt highlights an interaction that reveals so much about the personality of his subject. Another
Jessica
Nov 10, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
This story was very cute. I wish it could have had more about how Monet used colors and his painting habits for my kids. But I loved how they actually incorporated his paintings into the illustrations. In fact, one of the pages folds out into one of his waterlily paints with a drawing of the little girl and Monet in a boat floating through it. A great way for kids to experience Monet's artwork... mine started to talk about what they thought was underneath the water....sharks.....fish....a scubba ...more
Robin
Jun 13, 2014 Robin rated it really liked it
Beautiful Impressionist illustrations
Jesse James
Dec 06, 2014 Jesse James rated it it was amazing
Great pictures.
Clara  Baldwin
Jan 29, 2014 Clara Baldwin rated it really liked it
Now I need to read it to the granddaughters!
Justin Bloch
Aug 25, 2016 Justin Bloch rated it it was amazing
Absolutely magnificent and wonderfully beautiful. This book sparked our daughter's interest in Monet's artwork, and she can't wait to read the rest from the series.
Dianna
Jan 22, 2011 Dianna rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and my four-year-old son liked it enough to ask me to read it again as soon as we finished. Julie visits Claude Monet and he gives her a tour of his garden while they are looking for her lost dog. The pictures are fun, incorporating several of Monet's own paintings. I especially liked the note at the back that details the facts from Monet's life that were used in this book.
Teri
Jun 06, 2012 Teri rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-books
This story is based on a real girl, Julie Manet, whose mother was indeed good friends with Monet. Her dog, the greyhound in the book, was a gift from Renoir. Monet did build a huge studio in his house to paint his circular water lily series. Knowing so many of the aspects of this story are based on real events really makes it a nice read. His garden is now on my list of places to visit. :)
Nora
Jan 07, 2014 Nora rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jp
A patron clued me in to this marvelous series & I am in love! Not only do they have biographical info, but the illustrations are in the style of the subject! Wonderful!
Mar 14, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit, picture-books
The fictionalized story of a girl whose family was well-connected to the art world in France and who visited Monet at Giverny. The characters appear in a cartoony style against a backdrop painted in Monet's impressionist style. Photos of famous Monet paintings are integrated into the story. A wonderful introduction to Impressionism for young children.
Elaine
Sep 19, 2012 Elaine rated it really liked it
Great story about Julie's journey into the world & inspiration of Claude Monet. During pre-school story time, the children enjoyed the story. Even with the beautiful fold out center page, I wished the book was a little bigger so the children can see all of the subtle details of Monet's talent. Otherwise, it was a great read.
Contemplative
Jul 23, 2009 Contemplative rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
Absolutely adored this book. Probably my favorite so far from the collection of art related books from this author. Both my 2yr old and 4yr old enjoyed the story and artwork. A fun read and one we will visit again and again, hopefully as an addition to our personal book collection.
Mi Young
Aug 09, 2013 Mi Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really sweet story.
when Julie crawls into a mysterious garden, she meets an old man tending the flowers.
The gentle gardener turns out to be the great artist, Claude Monet, and together they explore his magical world.
Shelli
Apr 05, 2016 Shelli rated it really liked it
A fun work of historical fiction that is perfect for young children learning about Monet and Impressionism. I can imagine kiddos excitedly pointing out the backgrounds that are inspired from Monet's work.
Victoria Clay
Apr 23, 2012 Victoria Clay rated it really liked it
I thought this book was a wonderful way to explore the work of artist Claude Monet. It could be used to inspire children to create their own water colors. It could be used in a unit discussing great artists.
Sara
Sep 08, 2010 Sara rated it it was amazing
An excellent series with stunning illustrations which are very careful to pay honor to the artist in the title. I would like to own all of these for my own enjoyment as much as for the kids!
  • Katie Meets The Impressionists
  • The Imaginary Garden
  • The Fantastic Jungles of Henri Rousseau
  • Action Jackson
  • The Iridescence of Birds: A Book About Henri Matisse
  • Just Behave, Pablo Picasso!
  • Colorful Dreamer: The Story of Artist Henri Matisse
  • Strega Nona's Harvest
  • Neo Leo: The Ageless Ideas of Leonardo da Vinci
  • Linnea in Monet's Garden
  • Uncle Andy's: A Faabbbulous Visit With Andy Warhol
In a career spanning three decades, Laurence Anholt has produced over 200 children's books, which are published in more than 30 languages. Titles like the self-illustrated Anholt's Artists series have sold many millions of copies around the world. Laurence has also collaborated on numerous picture books with his wife, the artist, Catherine Anholt.

Laurence's first YA / Crossover novel THE HYPNOTIST
More about Laurence Anholt...

Anholt's Artists (8 books)
  • Camille and the Sunflowers: A Story about Vincent van Gogh
  • Degas and the Little Dancer: A story about Edgar Degas (Anholt's Artists)
  • Picasso and the Girl with a Ponytail