Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Funky Business: Talent Makes Capital Dance” as Want to Read:
Funky Business: Talent Makes Capital Dance
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating

Funky Business: Talent Makes Capital Dance

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  509 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Nobody wants to work for an uninspired company: nobody wants to buy from one either. In Funky Business, two leaders of the new generation of business thinkers demonstrate how to build companies where people can be creative risk-takers; where exciting ideas happen, exciting products become reality, and talented people want to stay. Technology, institutions and values are be ...more
Paperback, 256 pages
Published March 29th 2000 by FT Press (first published 2000)
more details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Funky Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Funky Business

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 784)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  rating details
TarasProkopyuk
Название книги отпугивало, считал что это очередная попсовая книга, которая наполненная низкосортным материалом, но ошибся.

Оказалось классная и очень хорошая книга. Авторы очень хорошо систематизировали новые тенденции в бизнесе и на мировом рынке, чётко показали потребительские направленности, стирание множеств ценностей и границ как и у людей, так и у сотрудников самих компаний, а также переориентацию и смену ориентиров последних.

Только тот кто поймёт, что именно изменилось, насколько и куда в
...more
Bogdan
This book is not taking any step forward from the line of "management and business" books promoted in US. For me it just another one from the series of Alvin Tofler, Stephen Covey, Denis Rivers and others. It is just a mix of known facts, but presented systemically, lots of quotes and "evidence" supporting one main idea.
I cannot say I totally agree their argumentation, but perhaps it is just the fact that I come from a different culture. Indeed the world has changed in the last 300 years dramati
...more
Nenad
I may be a bit too hush but the book is, in many ways, like reading one of those believe in yourself cheap psychology books.

it's pop economics.

Nevertheless it makes some valid points, though do not expect an eye-opener.

The problem for me, maybe was that I expected much more due to the hype around the book and the authors - it was a bit of a let down.
Serge
прошло больше 10 лет, а бизнес не стал таким как пишут эти ребята. По крайней мере в России. Тем ценнее почин отдельных компании быть не такими как все, быть лучше, веселее, изобретательнее и свободней. Спасибо им за то, что они пытаются менять реальность! Мне повезло, я знаю таких ребят!
Natasa Tovornik
I guess it is true what the authors write at the beginning - this book is not gonna tell you what to think, it is going to make you think.

A classic to star thinking differently.
Alberto
It's a great book for entrepreneurs, but you must consider the context it was written at (before the whole dot-com boom), so it's outdated but the core idea is valid and enthusiastic.
Alexandra
Left this one somewhere halfway through and am not planning on going back. Either it was my translation, or ...
Joe Raimondo
I saw Nordstrom speak at a conference -- very insightful. Everyone needs to create temporary monopolies.
Matthew Poyiadgi
This is the best book I read in 2007 - hugley inspirational and a pleasure to read.
Kiersten
Started it, didn't finish it--couldn't get into it.
Tania
over use of the word 'funky'.
Dasha Vakhina
First I read this book in the first year of the business school and was excited about the new for me corporate world and business future. But the flow of ideas was too wide, so I couldn't get any clear conclusion from it. The I decided to read (actually to listen on my way to work) the book again upon my graduation...and after four years of university and some work experience I see these guys (btw I think they are really interesting and inspiring professors) mostly as theoretics. Their view of t ...more
Franco Arda
This book is about the funky (business) world we are living in. All three books written by the authors are such a pleasure to read ... so informative ... unconvential ... and non-conform. The reader will take many notes about funky business is truly global, working values, globally linked society, senseless supply, deregulated life, tribalisation, innovation etc. We live in a winner takes all world where normal = nothing. It's funky out there, very funky.

PS; This book is an up-dated version of t
...more
Aleksandr Shtang
Бодрая книга 2000-го года. Надо ещё прочитать её переиздание 2007-го, с дополнениями и, по некоторым данным, незначительными изменениями.
Yevgeniya
Is lost among hundreds of similar books
Vlad Kitaynik
Книга о том как пиздато быть талантливым и умным
Luka
Don't expect for it to reveal "hidden secrets you never new before in your life!!!", but it will sum up the today's world in such a lucid manner, being very clear about everything it touches - cutting right through the bullshit :)

It's funny that this book is from 2002, with ideas that 90 percent of your surroundings STILL don't understand and live by. You'll feel that especially if you have any contact with companies.

So get the hell OUT of that nursing home community and just read this.
Peter Hutchinson
This book was very enjoyable to read. I had similar thoughts to theirs so I was very pleased to see my thoughts come to life in someone else's book. It confirmed many things I thought about. I read it again and underlined points I learnt. Very good book.
Cosmin Cosma
Good reading, enjoyable! But it lacks the practical side. Apart from a description of the nowadays way of doing business, written in a fancy postmodern style, no uses for learning something really applicable.
Angel Serrano
En el apogeo de la economía digital, Suecia está en el centro de Europa. Dos profesores de economía filosofan sobre los cambios culturales y empresariales de esta nueva época: el funky! El talento al poder!
Francis
A good book in its time. But it speaks about the unavoidable and constant change, so 14 years later it must be for definition obsolete. Anyway you can get some inetersting ideas from it.
Adrian
It's a very interesting book, that helps you see and discover more about you, about how talent and an open mind can be used to climb the ladder of success.
Savin Stefanov
Писана 1999г, ще бъде адекватна поне още 30 години. За всеки, който работи или изобщо прави каквото и да е. Задължителна.
Yagolin
A estas alturas un libro un poco desfasado ya que se basa demasiado en la situación de ese momento. Pre web 2.0
Artur Sabirov
Отличная книжка. Лучше сразу читать её переиздание — «Бизнес в стиле фанк навсегда».
Javier
Repetitive, repetitive, repetitive.
I´m getting tired of this "one-idea" books.
Raz
La normalidad no conduce a ninguna parte.
Dmitry Kachaev
Reads like Powerpoint presentation :))) Fun read.
Jan
Did not really get the point...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 26 27 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Funky Business Forever: How To Enjoy Capitalism
  • Disrupt: Think the Unthinkable to Spark Transformation in Your Business
  • You're in Charge, Now What?: The 8 Point Plan
  • Managing The Professional Service Firm
  • Re-Imagine!: Business Excellence in a Disruptive Age
  • Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders
  • How to Think Like Einstein: Simple Ways to Break the Rules and Discover Your Hidden Genius
  • Firms of Endearment: How World-Class Companies Profit from Passion and Purpose
  • Папокот на светот (Papokot na svetot)
  • Competing for the Future
  • The Conversation Manager: The Power of the Modern Consumer/The End of the Traditional Advertiser
  • Necessary But Not Sufficient: A Theory Of Constraints Business Novel
  • Everything Is Negotiable: How to Get the Best Deal Every Time
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • Customers for Life: How to Turn That One-Time Buyer Into a Lifetime Customer
  • Survival Is Not Enough: Why Smart Companies Abandon Worry and Embrace Change
  • И ботаники делают бизнес
  • Only the Paranoid Survive
Karaoke Capitalism: Managing for Mankind Karaoke Capitalism: Daring to Be Different in a Copycat World Re-Energizing the Corporation: How Leaders Make Change Happen Capitalismo Karaoke - Gestão para a Humanidade Karaoke Kapitalismus: Fitness Und Sexappeal Für Das Business Von Morgen

Share This Book