Start by marking “Deeper: A Thriller” as Want to Read:
Deeper: A Thriller

Deeper: A Thriller

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  1,351 ratings  ·  118 reviews
Hell exists. It is a real, geological, historical place beneath our very feet. And it is inhabited savagely.In an intense and imaginative tour de force, "New York Times" bestselling author Jeff Long takes readers into the depths of the earth where a primordial intelligence waits in the darkness.

A decade has passed since doomed explorers unveiled a nightmare of tunnels and
Published August 21st 2007 by Atria (first published January 1st 2007)

3 Stars

I loved the Descent book one in this series by Jeff Long and have put off reading this book for quite a long time. It is a fun and easy page turner that does not live up to the first book. This book does not have the tension, the scary moments, and it lacks the magic of discovery that The Descent had in spades. It does a nice job at moving the story 10 years further on and creates some very plausible outcomes of Humans versus Hadal's.

The story telling and the interview chapters with the A
I didn't love this book they way I loved it's prequel The Descent. The first book was more of an adventure/exploration story, going down into the earth and discovering the Hadal's civilization. This one delved more into the identity of "satan" or the being trapped in the earth. He apparently has supernatural powers, but is unable to leave his prison. So he lures travelers and pilgrims to his lair, where he either tortures and kills them, or takes them on as a temporary disciple.

The story criss c
The Descent was a modern Jules Verne for adults. Its sequel, however, is a supernatural fantasy through and through. The antagonist is an immortal fallen angel yearning to escape his underworld prison. Prominent roles are played by souls that linger and speak to the living. Make no mistake: Deeper is a different animal than its predecessor.

If you're still interested, then know that Ali and Ike (apart, not together) reprise their roles as heroes of the story. You'll travel through the dark interi
I read the first book, The Descent right at the end of last year so when I found there was a sequel I had to read it straight away. I found Descent gripped me all the way through so I was hoping the same would be true for this one.

Immediately, this lacked the "edge of your seat" suspense and horror that the previous book did. The bulk of this takes place 10 years after the end of The Descent. The underworld is available for exploitation but only nervous nibbles are taking place.

(view spoiler)

I've waited a long time for this book and I wasn't disappointed. It's not often that a sequel is better than the original but Jeff Long's sequel to The Descent is better and more terrifying than the first.
"Helvetin sydän" on jatkoa "Helvetin piireille". "Helvetin piirien" lukemisesta oli kulunut aikaa, mutta kärryille pääsi ihan hyvin ilman muistinvirkistystäkin ja kirjan pystyy muutenkin lukemaan ihan yksittäisenä teoksena, vaikka suotavaa on ensimmäisen osan lukeminen ensin.

Kirja kertoo maanalaisesta maailmasta, jota asuttavat hadaalit, ihmisistä erkaantunut julma laji. Syöverissä majailee vankina metkujaan hautomassa ja toteuttamassa itse Saatana, langennut enkeli. Vihjailtiin, että vielä syve
'Deeper' holds a difficult position: as the sequel to one of the decade's most shocking and imaginative horror novels, it creates very high expectations in its readers. It is hard for such a book to fulfil them, and disgruntled, disappointed fans are almost given.
In my opinion, 'Deeper' is a logical continuation of the original material. While it is true that Long abandons the scientific concepts introduced in 'The Descent' in favour of the religious and even supernatural, I have to admit that -
John Onoda
Deeper is the sequel to Jeff Long's "Descent". If you haven't read Descent, go out and get it now.

Both books are set in a vast underworld people on the earth's surface were never aware of, except through religious and mythological references to hell. Well, it turns out in these books that hell is real and filled with semi-human beings who act in nightmarish ways.

The story involves a crusade led by an iron-willed housewife to reclaim her daughter who has been stolen by the underworld denizens. He
Paige Ellen Stone
Jeff Long is a paradox to me. I first read his work when I read his superb novel, "The Descent." I found I could not finish his next book, "Year Zero." It was just too dull. "Deeper" is the sequel to "The Descent". Or sequels. There are so many story lines occurring throughout the pages of this book that it is hard to stay with it. I stayed till the end, in part due to my own personal obsession with good stories about what is beneath the earth, deeper than the deepest caves. I was hoping that Mr ...more
Elliot Baker
Not the best follow up. The descent was one of my all time favorite books. It blended action and adventure with horror so well. Deeper is the follow up. The author decided to go a different route with this one. It's still a better than average read, but it lacks the horrific punch the first book had.
I really enjoyed The Descent but this follow-up was just plain nasty. Too much religious babble. Also had too much blood, gore, angst, torture, gore, evil, greed and more gore with no real pay-off. Seems like a set-up for yet another round below ground. Sadly disappointing.
Jacob Lynch august
I was disappointed that Long deviated from his original novel, The Descent, which at its core attempted scientific reasoning to the easily misunderstood underworld, and allowed truly supernatural entities to enter his mythos.
Dec 19, 2007 Deirdre rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This is a sequel to Long's earlier book The Descent. I loved that book and I loved this one as well. In fact I re-read it almost immediately after finishing it.
Another good book from Long, and now I have to wait impatiently for the final book.

This book was a little more abstract than the first, and goes a bit further with the hell idea, and there are free floating souls calling to people. Once again I'm left with a feeling that the story isn't over at the end, so I would probably recommend that new readers wait until they can read all three at once. I hate waiting.

The discussions with the angel were pretty cool, though I'm embarrassed that I didn't r
Jul 23, 2008 Ed rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all adventure and horror enthusiasts
Recommended to Ed by: have read some of his other works
only complaint was that the author has too many sub-plots and it can be distracting
Do not read while pregnant/hormonally challenged.
A worthy sequel to The Descent.
I am always leery with sequels, because they rarely live up to the standard set by the first book. Deeper, however, was everything I wanted in the sequel to The Descent. Of course in The Descent, Long had beautifully and believably described the vivid subterranean world in a memorable way. Building upon that, he broadened the scope of the plot in Deeper and took it in directions I never imagined. He has, once again, proven to be a master storyteller. The Descent and Deeper are now among my favor ...more
Andy Phillips
This is a sequel to 'The Descent' and follows several years after the events of the first novel. Read that book first if you haven't already, partly because it sets the scene for this one and partly because it's great. SPOILERS FOLLOW if you haven't read the first book.

By the time of this story it is widely accepted that the Hadals existed underground for thousands of years, but that they were wiped out during the events of 'The Descent'. Of course, they are not extinct, as becomes apparent very
PB/Horror/Thriller: The is the sequel to The Descent. I enjoyed The Descent and was looking forward to this book. While it was really good in places, it really missed the mark in others. The Descent was so much more believable and suspenseful. Deeper had issues, with time, travel time one point to another, gravity, and character development. Ali and Ike, who were so developed in the first book, were so empty in this one. Then there was the problems with Satan and the whole hell analogy. I zoned ...more
This is one of the times I am extremely grateful that I finish read the rest of series/sequels when the first novel isn't too brilliant.
Deeper is a continuation of The Descent. Both novels explore a newly discovered underground world, with a previously unknown intelligent species. They explore the questions of what hell could really be like and whether the Devil really exists.
I found The Descent to be a pretty average thriller. It dealt more with how all the underground realm worked scientifical
Elizabeth Reuter
A lot of reviewers who loved The Descent seem to have picked up Deeper only to be disappointed. Which is understandable, because The Descent was primarily a thriller grounded in reality with just a few religious/spiritual overtones sprinkled here and there, and Deeper is the opposite. For example, Satan is an actual character who directs much of the action.

Personally I loved the new, more supernatural direction the story went. Hearing Satan discuss his life and the history of humanity was fascin
I'm torn on this sequel to Long's excellent first book "The Descent." The intricate details that made the first book so enjoyable are gone in this sequel. This novel just feels more commercialized or sequelized - turned out quicker.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy it. I was entertained up until the abrupt ending, which only vaguely answered some questions and left a few other important ones unanswered.

Just as in the previous book I read "Dexter in the Dark," there are supernatual/religious eleme
3.5 stars:

After re-reading what is probably my favorite thriller ever (The Descent), I was pretty excited to turn around and read this sequel. Jeff Long's writing style changed quite a bit over the years, so I wasn't sure what to expect. He went from lots of action combined with strange supernatural ideas, to surreal and dreamy with strange supernatural ideas.

What I got was really both styles combined. At the beginning it feels very much liked its predecessor, with plenty of action/violence/char
This is the sequel to 'The Descent'. After reading the first novel in a matter of days I went straight out and bought this and it did not let me down or fail to deliver. All the claustrophobia is there as well as new and interesting (if not fantastic) characters make you re-evaluate your initial thoughts of The Descent. I couldn't put this down and finished it within days like I did the first.

Plot ***Spoilers***
While tensions between the United States and China increase on the surface, sub-plane
Edward H. Busse, III
NO SPOILERS!! One word…wow. What a story…the characters were so finely detailed…the environment so vividly described…the premise so very tantalizing. I loved this book - the writing was excellent and the story well laid out. Every page brought something that made me turn to the the next page and the next and the next. The idea that for millions of years there's been a race of creatures/people below the earth's surface and they have a society and they've lost themselves time and time again…pretty ...more
I had high hopes for this book, after falling in love with "The Descent" and having to go straight out and read the sequel afterwards. I loved the start of this. I was a little disappointed Ike and Ali were in the book apart and that we don't see much of Ike, he was always my favourite, but I loved the new storyline and the directions it took. I loved the way the plot was so fractured and went off in many different ways, the same as The Descent. However, this starts to get lost about half way th ...more
I thought "Descent" was one of the best books I have ever read so my expectations were high for the sequel. But as they often do, this sequel dissapoints. The story is good until close to the end when it feels like Long have run out of ideas and just got drunk and made up an end to the book. The thriller and action aspects of the book are good and you have a hard time puting the book down - you do want to know what happens. Long introduces some characters that are just annoying (Rebecca) or bori ...more
Nov 13, 2011 Amber rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Amber by: Barnes and Noble bookstore
  • Bestiary
  • The Promised War (Sam Deker, #1)
  • Deeper
  • Benighted
  • High Cotton: Selected Stories
  • Diving into Darkness: A True Story of Death and Survival
  • Wild Blood
  • Silverhair (Mammoth, #1)
  • The Shore (The Pines Trilogy, #2)
  • In Blackness (Book 1)
  • Clean Slate Complex (Daynight, #1.5)
  • First Evidence
  • Accidentally...Evil? (Accidentally Yours, #3.5)
  • The Supernaturals: A Ghost Story
  • The Unseen
  • The Templar Throne (Templar, #3)
  • Grim Reaper: End of Days