Start by marking “How to Be a Chicana Role Model” as Want to Read:
How to Be a Chicana Role Model

How to Be a Chicana Role Model

Book by Serros, Michele M.
Published July 1st 2000 by Riverhead Trade

To ask other readers questions about How to Be a Chicana Role Model, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Be a Chicana Role Model

Livin' la  Vida Latina
Feb 18, 2015 Livin' la Vida Latina rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by: Sandra
A Latina Book Club

Review: This is a collection of fiction from a strong, witty, and intelligent chicana writer. In these rules, Michele Serros writes about being a “chicana role model” based on tales and experiences.

Rule #1: “Never Give up an Opportunity to Eat for Free” because, if you do, you never know who you might meet, like a publisher maybe.

With her cynical humor, Serros reminds you “of how detoured a career can go and what a waste a college degree could be [because]
Dexter
Feb 28, 2016 Dexter rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure I've ever used the phrase, "A delight to read" about any book besides a kid's book, but for some reason it comes to mind after finishing this book.

Which doesn't really make sense, since this novel tackles a lot of serious issues. The issue of asking someone where they're from and not accepting, "Here," as an answer just because they're not white, or falling into a certain stereotype or career because of their skin color. There's also a lot of great stuff about trying to make it as w
Cindy
Apr 13, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it
I liked the beginning of this book a lot--I smiled a lot, I laughed out loud several times, and sometimes I just had to cry with Michele.

The second half got kind of boring to me--I guess because it wasn't like "omg, I can totally relate!" anymore, and I know that's petty to say, but I rate books by how much I enjoy them and not really "merit" or "how outstanding they are," or form or whatever. It seemed a little dated sometimes (I feel awful saying that, but it just made me not enjoy it).

I guess
Stephanie
Feb 11, 2012 Stephanie rated it liked it
How to Be a Chicana Role Model is full of biting wit, humor, and wonderful stories that really paint a picture of the character's life. It's not a traditional read in the sense of "here's the plot. Here's the rising action and the climax. Here's the conclusion." No, it's not that kind of read, so if you're looking for that--go elsewhere. This is more like an informal letter where you, the reader, feel like you're privy to this character's thoughts. You get some gossip. You get some cold hard fac ...more
Ileana
Sep 29, 2011 Ileana rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book, especially after a friend recommended it so highly, but I just found it painfully boring, dated, and uninspired. Serros does write in an authentic Chicana voice, but the prose is constantly interrupted by the clumsy and unnecessary addition of "concrete details". I can hear her college creative writing professor drilling Strunk & White's Elements of Style into her head ("Don't just say you stopped for coffee: tell us where you stopped and what you ordered!" ...more
Linda Doyle
Oct 25, 2016 Linda Doyle rated it really liked it
Oh, Michele, you left us too soon. In your brief life, though, you were a terrific writer and a Chicana role model.

These vignettes are entertaining and funny, though some (e.g. Role Model Rule Number 11) are slighter than others. Of course I can relate to so much of what she writes about. Aside from the cultural issues, I also appreciate her commentary on performing for audiences as an author. Very funny.
Cynthia
Serros' book is a refreshing retelling of the Mexican American's story and cultural struggle in America. She attacks the subject with her fervor of humor and enlightens the audience on what it takes to be a Role Model for Chicanos everywhere, while vehemently emphasizing that she's human too and quite capable of making many mistakes along the way.

I'm definitely grabbing a copy of my own soon. And would love to read more of her work.
Candy
Jan 04, 2010 Candy rated it it was ok
The author recalls different snapshots of her life to identify what it takes to be a Chicana Role Model. Some of the stories are humorous but I expected more. Coincidentally, the author grew up in the same area as my husband so I was familiar with her reference to different parts of the city.
Heather Sobek
Aug 31, 2011 Heather Sobek rated it liked it
I didn't love it.
Christina
Jun 20, 2008 Christina rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the ladies
This book was hilarious. I love her writing style and the stories she tells mimic stories from my own childhood and teen years.
Lupisima
Feb 23, 2008 Lupisima rated it liked it
This book was really funny. Especially the stories of when she was an assistant to the fly girls from "in living color", one of who ended up being Jennifer Lopez. Priceless!
Bern
Mar 18, 2008 Bern rated it really liked it
funny and fast read
Cristina
Jun 12, 2009 Cristina rated it it was amazing
I loved this book too. I'll get to a good review on it someday. I need to reread this one.
Paula
Nov 19, 2007 Paula rated it liked it
this is a humorous book relaying experiences of a Chicana woman.
Tamara
Jan 07, 2017 Tamara rated it liked it
Book was disjointed-- not a clear point made-- random stories-- many funny and interesting to read-- but the book lacked overall coherence.
Joselynn
Jun 28, 2009 Joselynn rated it really liked it
hilariously raw
lilia
Jun 27, 2007 lilia rated it really liked it
this is too funny; makes you feel good when you are feeling blue.
Gina Gwen
Aug 04, 2008 Gina Gwen rated it really liked it
Michele Serros, a leader in Chicana Lit! I really enjoyed this book, as a hispanic woman, it's one I can really relate to.
Claudette Banda
Jun 20, 2007 Claudette Banda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs, poetry, on-america
all's i have to say is 'respect the 1%.'
Arianna Morales
Jul 01, 2013 Arianna Morales rated it it was amazing
I love Michelle Serros...witty, truth teller and for me, I could relate to it all. Thank you Michelle!
Kelly Higashi
Kelly Higashi rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2012
Celia
Celia rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2010
Jeannie
Jeannie rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2008
Letty
Letty rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2010
Sioban
Sioban rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2010
Lupita Rios
Lupita Rios rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2014
Elva Medrano
Elva Medrano rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2014
Amanda Currier
Amanda Currier rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2015
Nordy
Nordy rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2008
  • Peel My Love Like an Onion
  • America's Dream
  • Becoming Latina in 10 Easy Steps
  • Methodology of the Oppressed
  • The Revolution Starts at Home: Confronting Intimate Violence Within Activist Communities
  • Subtractive Schooling: U.S.-Mexican Youth and the Politics of Caring
  • Song of the Hummingbird
Michele Serros was an American author, poet, motivational speaker, and comedic social commentator.
More about Michele Serros...

“But when whites ask me The Question, it's just a reminder that I'm not like them, I don't look like them, which must mean I'm not from here.” 0 likes
“I can't help but feel that whites always gotta know the answer to everything. It's like they're uncomfortable not being able to categorize things they're unfamiliar with and so they need to label everything as quickly and neatly as possible.” 0 likes