De La Tierra a la Luna
read book* *Different edition

De La Tierra a la Luna (Extraordinary Voyages #4)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  10,819 ratings  ·  316 reviews
"De la Tierra a la Luna" es una novela científica y satírica del escritor Julio Verne. La obra, que comienza como una satira del estereotipo estadounidense de la época, es un intento de describir por primera vez con minuciosidad científica los problemas que hay que resolver para lograr enviar un objeto a la Luna. Un intrépido proyecto aviva los corazones de los miembros de...more
Published July 28th 2002 by Editorial Andrés Bello (first published 1863)

To ask other readers questions about De La Tierra a la Luna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about De La Tierra a la Luna

Silvana
JHoon
Simple, but strange Newton's third law; if object A exerts a force on another object B, object B also exerts the same magnitude of force on object A. Perhaps this law is how rockets work. Jules Verne, before rocket was invented, seems to know this law probably but think a bit differently. The idea was making a gigantic cannon and shooting it to travel the moon. Maybe this idea looks absurd nowadays, but even as a modern person, I think this idea was remarkable.
The book is mostly about the "prep...more
Shuart24
I felt half tempted to start up a drinking game while I was reading this work of speculative fiction. Aware of the current state of spaceflight, I was fascinated by this fictional account of a time before the rocket had even been conceived of, much less been invented. Throughout the reading, I unconsciously tallied what Jules Verne got right and what he got wrong.

The premise of the book is that a club whose artillery hobby has been rendered irrelevant by the end of the Civil War seeks a new appl...more
Pat
For whatever reason I thought Verne would be a cumbersome read. However, he writes quite beautifully, and this novel is certainly a page turner. The story mainly consists of rather technical descriptions of the journey and the construction of the apparatus used. As a result, I would expect this book to be rather polarizing. Being as I like that sort of thing, this is just very high quality science fiction.
Christian
Otra parada más en mi viaje particular en la obra de este maestro, Julio Verne. Tercer libro que leo siguiendo el orden de publicación.

No paro de asombrarme acerca de las cosas que escribió, en el tiempo en que las escribió. Esta mención merecía un párrafo aparte.

La historia, centrada en los miembros de un club de artilleros, que según mi punto de vista son mas científicos que simples diseñadores de armas. Vemos cómo este grupo, centrado en el ambiente de la guerra, necesita de un nuevo desafío...more
Alec Glazier
I thought that this was a phenomenal book. I thought that the concept was spectacular because Verne takes a very unknown setting: the moon, and creates a journey that will open up new things the world. The plot line was a bit distorted because there was a late climax in Part I when the Columbiad is launched. There is an extremely graduate fall of the falling action, as there is a unexpected "spike," as it would look like on the plot line at the end of Part II, when the Columbiad lands. Although...more
Laini
I love a bit of Jules Verne, I love the fact that he wrote so long ago, but his novels still shock and surprise me despite the fact that I'm surrounded by technology he couldn't have dreamed of. What he wrote about, would have been considered implausable at the time, but now that we can look back, he was very accurate in what he imagined.

From the Earth to the Moon is a fabulous example of this for many reasons. It tells the story of the Baltimore Gun Club and a few of it's members, who having re...more
Hal
It's difficult to try and rate or review a book that is so old and far removed from today's context, but I'll try to say a few words.

This book was a fun adventure with a playful spirit infused in the writing. If you read it out of context, with a critical eye as to plausibility, you may be sorely disappointed. The feeling of the book is not overly serious. Verne doesn't seem to take himself too seriously, as he pokes fun at American ingenuity and makes the main explorers members of a Gun Club....more
Nalia
not at all the fairy tale I expected. but the two stars are completely subjective and only reflect my personal liking, although I realize it is a marvelous book for its time. deeply descriptive and scientific, recommended only for science lovers, not a children's book or fantasy.
Ian
What makes From the Earth to the Moon so enjoyable is it's sheer earnestness. Entire chapters are filled with debates about figures and equations. Verne loves to write about all the details of his little thought experiment. This is very clearly his fantasy, and had he the money, I could imagine him attempting something like this.

However, it ends abruptly. The entire thing is about the construction of the great cannon that will fire the explorers to the moon. After launching them, there's one ch...more
Ritchie
Usually i enjoy Jules Verne's work but i'm afraid From the Earth to the Moon just wasn't very good.

The first half of the book seems to be all Verne's workings on how a rocket could be fired to the moon using a giant cannon...

It just gets bogged down in too much detail: the development, the planning, the building by this time i just didnt care if the rocket would take off or not.

Red
jules fern was totaly out of place in france with his stories and choose the us as a refuge for this tale. was it a parody on the childish american culture in the eyes of europeans? was it parental care from european perspective? it must have been otherwise the tale never would have been turned into practice, apollo the musical.
Noha Basiouny

عجبتني أكتر من رواية جورج ويلز ، أي نعم المقارنة ما بينهم غير مجدية لأن الرواية دي محورها رحلة الوصول لسطح القمر (علي الرغم من أنهم ماوصلوش القمر أصلا ، دول عدوا من جنبه بس!) بس الكيفية نفسها عجبتني أكتر ، أما رواية ويلز بتحكي أكتر عن حياة المخلوقات القمرية فوق القمر مش عن الرحلة.

Rody Atef
الكتاب دا مايتوصفش تحفــــــــــــــه
عقليه ما شاء الله :) يمكن حاليا الكلام دا عادي بس لما تعرف ان الروايه مكتوبه تقريبا قبل الطلوع للقمر ب 100 عام اكيد حاجه تانيه ^_^ وصفه و تخيله و بالارقام و المسافات
سحرتني و بجد حبتـــها من اجمل الرويات اللي قرأتها <3
Julio Thames
Quizás la idea nos parece absurda de hacer un viaje tan simple a luna simulando el disparo de una bala; sin embargo siempre fue un adelantado a su tiempo. Llena leer la obra, estilo literario fresco y claro. Otra gran aventura que recomiendo.
Kimberly
The book was okay. It wasn't my favourite Verne novel and I think that's because it was so short and the ending reminded me of the Sopranos when the screen just went black half way through a sentence and for that I gave it the 3 stars.
Angel
Julio Verne, nos muestra una vez más el poder de su gran imaginación y me recuerda aquella famosa frase que se le atribuye a este autor "Solo imagina algo y alguien más lo convertirá en realidad"
Rosario Villamor
Verne's novel of an American gun club is both funny and informative. On one hand, he tries to do the necessary calculations of the escape velocity of the rocket, dimensions of the rocket, etc. On the other, he effortlessly tells the story with a bit of humour, including disputes between the gun club's president, Barbicane, and his old enemy, Captain Nicholl (who was actually doing the correct analysis and who was giving out the right information).

I found the story funny and ridiculous, but if I...more
Juan Bosco
Es imposible no contagiarse del entusiasmo, lleno de humor, que los personajes de Julio Verne tienen ante la posibilidad alcanzar a la Luna.
Krisney
I LOVED THIS BOOK. I can't believe I spent my 16 years of life without reading this. Ahh I'm going to read all of my dad's oldies, this book was one of his favorites when he was younger so It makes it more special to me, I love my dad and he is pure role model material. The science was one of the things that I loved the most about this book, the astronomy, the physics, it was so cool, and the whole concept was just hilarious and clever. Jules Verne rocks. Yes I said that, no regrets

Besides, thi...more
Gonzalo Oyanedel
Uno de los Puntales de la literatura de anticipación, con un Verne profético e imaginativo.
HTR.

De la tierra a la luna nos cuenta la historia de un sueño: extender las fronteras de los Estados Unidos, tanto, que sea fuera de la Tierra. Su protagonista, Barbicane, es un personaje seguro de sí mismo y que está decidido a hacer cualquier cosa con tal de hacer que todos los franceses y demás europeos -que le ven incapaz de cumplir la proeza de llegar a la Luna y hacerla americana- se traguen sus propias palabras.

El primer defecto que le vi fueron las cifras. A lo largo del libro, se puede com...more
Cornelia
A quick read and very interesting. I highly reccomend it.
Margaret Carmel
As opposed to the actual plot of venturing to the moon, what I found most interesting about this book was it's setting. The more of Jules Verne that I read, the more I realize how much of his setting choice is very politically minded. At this time in history, England was leading the charge on science, innovation, and exploration while France was very stagnant for my reasons. This book being set in America and with the Gun Club at the center, showed how the world viewed America after the Civil Wa...more
Nadia

Si vas a leer una novela clásica sin haberte documentado antes sobre la historia y el contexto, y si eres como yo (que no sabes mucho de literatura), igual te pasa como a mí, que después de haber leído el libro, no terminas de entender la intención del autor o si el tono era irónico.

A mí me ha pasado con De la Tierra a la Luna. Todavía no estoy segura de si el autor quiso escribir una comedia o parodia, o de si en ciertos momentos estaba queriendo ser irónico o no.

La cuestión es que me parecía...more
Rodrigo Aguerre
Es un muy buen libro. La historia es atrapante y tiene un final un tanto inesperado para lo que acostumbra Verne. Describe las motivaciones de un grupo de personas por enviar un proyectil a la luna, narra las dificultades y preparativos necesarios para llevar a cabo este gran experimento sin precedentes, de acuerdo a las capacidades tecnologicas del siglo XIX. Algunos artilugios son de lo mas ingeniosos. Tambien permite apreciar como era la forma de pensar que tenia la gente de esa epoca y como...more
Jake
I can’t begin to tell you how much fun I had reading this book. No wait, I can. I loved reading this fictional tale of an attempt to travel to the moon in the 19th Century via cannon shot. The implausibility of this story is offset by two things:

1) The sheer entertainment value of Jules Verne’s hypothesis--the grand scope of it and the robust characters and industry it requires.
2) In the early days of the space race, the U.S. government actually spent a good deal of research and development on...more
Jeff
I really liked this book. Written over 100 years before man actually landed on the moon, it is an interesting take on what Verne thought the trip would be like. It is hard to comment about the book without spoilers so I'll keep comments general. The book had a lot of humor and parts of it reminded me of the Time Tunnel episode of the trip to Mars. The astronauts headed to Mars had all kinds of room and had plenty of chow and smoked cigs. On the trip to the moon there were dogs on board, good win...more
Nikola Tasev
The book has a "can do" attitude, approaching engineering problems and solving them by throwing massive numbers - weights, sizes, speeds, distances. I guess it tried to catch the spirit of the time, the science optimism that everything is within reach, or will be soon.
It is funny how the author, neither engineer nor scientist, waives away ridiqulous things - the thousands Gs of acceleration are mitigated by two feet of water - less than a meter. The heating from atmospheric friction is not leth...more
Ariko
Beautiful novel - and considering the time it was written, I'm like "how the hell did he get these ideas about 100 years before their practical realization, without even being an official scientist???"
Actually, I was a bit bored at the beginning like about the first third of the book, because it was all boring physics and chemistry, dry theory and fussy numbers like "248.447 miles…3.919 miles…214.976 miles(86.410 lieues)…… well… who cares? It's a novel with an exciting story, so why spoiling it...more
The Evolution of ...: September Group Read: From the Earth to the Moon 20 48 Oct 04, 2013 09:55AM
سفر به ماه 1 6 Dec 02, 2012 01:55PM
سفر به ماه 1 3 Dec 02, 2012 01:55PM
  • The First Men in the Moon
  • A Journey To The Center Of The Earth (Troll Illustrated Classics)
  • The Poison Belt: Being an Account of Another Amazing Adventure of Professor Challenger (Professor Challenger, #2)
  • The Corsican Brothers
  • Odd John
  • The Humanoids
  • A Murky Business (Penguin Classics)
  • The Land That Time Forgot (Caspak, #1-3)
  • The Last Man
  • R Is for Rocket
  • The Talisman
  • Leyendas
  • The Crystal Stopper (Arsène Lupin, #7)
  • Reach for Tomorrow
  • Il corsaro nero
  • The Black Cloud
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa...more
More about Jules Verne...
Around the World in Eighty Days Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6) Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3) The Mysterious Island  Five Weeks in a Balloon (Extraordinary Voyages, #1)

“How many things have been denied one day, only to become realities the next!” 14 likes
“Well, I feel that we should always put a little art into what we do. It's better that way.” 11 likes