Start by marking “Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears” as Want to Read:
Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears

Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears (The Snow White, Blood Red Anthology Series #3)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,151 ratings  ·  53 reviews
""Once upon a time ..." So begin the classic fairy tales that enthralled and terrified us as children. Now, in their third critically acclaimed collection of original fairy tales for adults, World Fantasy Award-winning editors Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling bring us twenty-one new stories by some of the top names in literature today. Joyce Carol Oates, Gahan Wilson, Gene ...more
Published by HarperCollins Publications (first published December 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears

CuriousLibrarian
This is a 3.5 from me. It could have been a 4, except for a couple of truly bad choices of stories from editors who are usually very good. The first story, "Ruby Slippers" was just terrible, and it made me very suspicious of the rest of the book. Why would you lead with your weakest story?

And "Billy Fearless" had an unfortunate author gaffe the either editor or author really should have caught and fixed before publication. The whole point is that the boy doesn't know what fear is, and yet early
Becky
I love this series, the new take on my favorite fairy tales. Sadly these books are extremely hard to find which is a shame, because they are wonderful.
Nikkie
Favorites: Match Girl and The Fox Wife
Trayana
Едната от съставителките на антологията Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears е жива институция сред феновете на фентъзито и хоръра. Вече дълги години ежегодно под редакцията на Елън Датлоу излиза поредицата от антологии Year’s Best Fantasy and Horror, както и безброй много сборници, извън тази поредица. Като съставител и редактор на антологии Елън Датлоу е получила над тридесет награди в жанра. Сред тях по-значими са „Хюго” (вкл. и за 2010 г.), Световна награди за фентъзи, „Локус” и „Брам Стокър”.

Заедно
Bryce
Ruby Slippers, Susan Wade
Dorthy Gale's story of the Wizard of Oz, as told through the veneer of show business. This is a cute, fun interpretation of the movie, but nothing particularly thoughtful.

The Beast, Tanith Lee
Beauty and the Beast, but a truly, truly disturbing take on the tale. Beauty is often only skin-deep, especially when a beast dwells within.

Masterpiece, Gary Kilworth
A cross between Rumplestiltskin and Faust (although it's fair to argue that Rumplestiltskin was always just a retel
Jody
When I was a child, mythology and fairy tales took up a huge portion of my reading time, informing me at a young age that tragedy is but only one of the many inescapable aspects of being alive in this world, and probably the greatest common denominator connecting humans to one another; and that in between our frequent bouts of grief we humans can sometimes experience paradoxical bliss - a truism oft times illustrated in fairy tales. So it was no small joy for me to read RUBY SLIPPERS, GOLDEN TEA ...more
Erin
A collection of decidedly adult retellings of fairy tales and legends. I appreciated the mix of settings (present-day, historical, fantastic, futuristic, American, European, Chinese, Japanese, Russian) and many of the tales were interesting takes on familiar stories. Still, I got into fairy tale retellings through more recent YA books (think Ella Enchanted and the Once Upon a Time series), and so the sex, violence (especially sexual violence), and overt gender politics shocked me at first. Cours ...more
Cherie
Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears is an anthology of short stories inspired by classic fairy tales from cultures around the world. The collection, like the five other volumes in the series, was compiled and edited by fantasy authors Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling. It's not necessary to read these in any kind of order as each volume, as well as the stories within each volume, stands alone.

The twenty-two stories in Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears encompass a wide range of styles within the fantasy genre, f
Lisa Rathbun
Well, now I know why I tend to read YA literature. This is just too dark and disturbing for me.

As I read certain stories, I just thought of how horrible humans can be when there is no restraining fear of God on them. I know you can point to history and show periods where supposedly religious or "Christian" people treated others cruelly, but such people were not following the Bible which tells us to "do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with God" and "do to others as you want others to do to
Netanella
I'd rather give this book a 3.5 if I could. Some stories were excellent, such as Nancy Kress's "Summer Wind", a retelling of the sleeping beauty tale from the princess's point of view. I kept this story with me long after I read it. And "Match Girl" reminded me a lot of Deerskin, with rape and fire transformation as integral pieces to the story. I enjoy anthologies which introduce me to new authors, or authors that have been around but just hadn't interested me up until now. Of course, there wer ...more
Linda
This collection was only okay for me. A lot of the stories, while interesting, seemed trapped in the Wicked-esque cliche of modernized-fairy-tale-with-horrible-grim-reality. Frankly, that theme is getting a little old and tired.

One delightful exception to this reaction was Robert Lannes' "Roach in Loafers." Perhaps I am easily charmed by roaches named Arch or Archie. However, the editors' introduction to this story irritated me greatly, because they classified it as an Elves-and-Shoemaker fairy
AmberBug *shelfnotes.com*
Most of the stories were poorly written, one was ghastly. The stories themselves are amusing and thankfully short. I picked this edition because it includes a story from Joyce Carol Oates but I'm thinking maybe I should have tried one of the first two editions. This was nothing that will be remembered and if anything, most of the Authors in this collection I will be avoiding in the future. I think the best writing were from the known Authors I love, Joyce Carol Oates and Neil Gaiman. I like to r ...more
This was such a mix for me. Some stories I really enjoyed, others I just didn't get into as much. But it's nice to break things up a bit and read in little snippets; a collection of short stories can set a different reading pace and it was a refreshing read for me in the end. I have my favorites and it did remind me how much I enjoy a good twisted fairy tale. ;-)
Ryan
Definitely for adults - lots of very dark and very disturbing images scattered throughout. And probably not the best choice for bedtime reading material for that reason. I realize that violence is part of life, that darkness was part of the tales we collect as 'fairy tales', but I'm content with stories that tell about life, joy and don't dwell on the darkness in our souls. There were a number of stories that were enjoyable, don't get me wrong, but mostly I'm trying to push some of the nightmare ...more
Nikki
A collection of short stories, all with the theme of reimagined fairytales, some familiar and some more obscure. Each author chose his or her own tale to expand upon, so there are some stories which are interpreted by more than one writer. As often happens with such anthologies, there were some stories I enjoyed greatly and others that I didn't care to finish. But I think almost anyone would find several tales to enjoy in this book. There is also a fine bibliography for further reading. Recommen ...more
Joel Wentz
This is a great little collection of myth/fable re-tellings. The forms and settings are extremely diverse, and the stories that particularly stand out do so because of some jarring choices: reversing the traditional gender roles or incorporating very dark, horror elements, for example. I particularly loved the "Emperor's New Clothes" re-told in Imperial China, as well as "Goldilocks & the 3 Bears" set in a Native American tribe. If you are a fan of modern fables (as I am), then you will like ...more
A book of short stories by various authors, dealing with fairy tales. I enjoyed some stories and didn't enjoy others, but it's been a while since I read it, so I can't be more specific.

There was one in particular based on Puss-in-boots that I enjoyed very much, but I can't remember the title. And there was another involving a fairly graphic rape that I just detested, because I thought that the message it was trying to send could have been done so with far less -- well, with far less rape.
Cinnamingirl
I wasn't a fan of the full first half of this book, but I think the second half was definitely better. It was a good mix of the dark and the funny, and quite a few stories of both mixed together. I've always been intrigued by Match Girl, and I also really liked The Foxwife. The Printer's Daughter was funny and sweet as well. Overall I don't like this volume as much as the previous two, but I thought it got better as it went on.
Melanie
I had to force myself to finish this book which is never a good sign. I'm just not seeing the fairy tale enough in this series. I think I will read something else before returning to them. The Match Girl stands out particularly as something I wish I had never read- too Handmaid's Tale. I knew about things like leg presses and scold's bridles, but I read to be entertained and this book overall failed to do so.
Victoria
These anthologies are neat if you are a big fan of the fairy tale like I am. I have the complete Grimm's Fairy Tales, but some of these mystery and horror writers find creative ways to tell old tales.

Also check out Snow White, Blood Red; Black Thorn, White Rose; Black Heart, Ivory Bones...you get the idea. They're still interesting even if they got a little unoriginal in naming each new anthology.
Elizabeth
I expected a lot after reading "Snow White, Blood Red" but this compilation was bogged down by mediocre contributions. The stand-out stories (that make this worth reading) are:

The Beast by Tanith Lee

Masterpiece by Gary Kilworth

Summer Wind by Nancy Kress

The Crossing by Joyce Carol Oates

The Huntsman's Story by Milbre Burch

and

The Fox Wife, by Ellen Steiber
Izlinda
This was an overall good collection of fantasy story/fairy tale retellings, and they don't all end with sappy endings, though the main characters usually come through.

The retelling of "Match Girl" disturbed me because of the explicitness of the rape she experiences multiple times. If anybody is quite sensitive about rape, I would recommend this story be skipped.
Edwina Hall Callan
Roach in Loafers and Billy Fearless were my favorite stories in this collection.
Samaire
This volume 2 collection was much more graphic than the last edition. It did not pique my interest as much either. I found the characters less sympathetic. Short story collections aren’t as appealing to me as novels; the author does not have the time nor the reader the detail to fully appreciate the storyline.
Debbie
Nov 07, 2008 Debbie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of fantasy and fairy tales
Shelves: fantasy
I am addicted to this series. Whether I am seeking a funny, light-hearted update to a classic fairy tale or a a frightening look at the dark underbelly of "ever after" this book has something to offer. I highly recommend it to adult fans of the Brothers Grimm seeking something more mature and complex.
Kate
Although none of the stories stood out, I still enjoyed reading these re-tellings of familiar fairy tales.

With one exception. I found Match Girl to be deeply disturbing, as I am touchy on (view spoiler)
Amy
The third volume in the series of fairy tale reshapings edited Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling. One of the reasons this book (and series) is so good is the list of recommended reading in the back. The editors also give you information about every short story author.
Ellen
Splendid read that makes me want to grab a pen and get busy writing something Datlow and Windling would want to publish someday.
Julie
These short stories--all riffs on classic fairy tales--are like the literary equivalent of eating some good dark chocolate. It tastes so good, but don't indulge in too much all at once. Yeah, I just did the food as book metaphor. So there.
This collection of fairy tale adaptations is certainly worthy of boasting rights for its talented writers and creativity. There is much worthy of praise, but overall, the stories themselves were just OK to me. Nothing that really got me excited.
  • The Armless Maiden: And Other Tales for Childhood's Survivors
  • Fitcher's Brides
  • Once Upon a Crime
  • Don't Bet on the Prince: Contemporary Feminist Fairy Tales in North America and England
  • Red as Blood, or Tales from the Sisters Grimmer
  • Tam Lin
  • The Magic Circle
  • Jack of Kinrowan
  • Happily Ever After
  • The Wild Swans (Faerie Tale)
Ellen Datlow has been an award-winning editor of short science fiction, fantasy, and horror for over twentyfive years.

She is editor of the Best Horror of the Year and has edited or co-edited a large number of award-winning original anthologies. Her most recent are Supernatural Noir, Naked City, Blood and Other Cravings, The Beastly Bride, Teeth, Trolls Eye View, and After (the last three with Ter
More about Ellen Datlow...
Snow White, Blood Red Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy Lovecraft Unbound The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm Black Heart, Ivory Bones

“There was something sly about his smile,
his eyes so black and sharp, his rufous hair. Something
that sent her early to their trysting place,
beneath the oak, beside the thornbush,
something that made her climb the tree and wait.
Climb a tree, and in her condition.
Her love arrived at dusk, skulking by owl-light,
carrying a bag,
from which he took a mattock, shovel, knife.
He worked with a will, beside the thornbush, beneath the oaken tree,
he whistled gently, and he sang, as he dug her grave,
that old song...
shall I sing it for you, now, good folk?”
2 likes