Start by marking “Faeries” as Want to Read:
Faeries

Faeries

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Features:

ANDRE NORTON LORD DUNSANY POUL ANDERSON JESSICA AMANDA SALMONSON THOMAS BURNETT SWANN JAMES HOGG LAFCADIO HEARN RICHARD McKENNA MARY E. WILKINS PHILIP K. DICK HENRY SLESAR HERMINIE TEMPLETON H. C. BAILEY JOHANN LUDWIG TIECK JOHN BUCHAN ROBERT F. YOUNG ISAAC ASIMOV

Faeries-legends about them abound throughout the world. They are evil creatures conjured up to frigh

paperback, 376 pages
Published December 5th 2000 by Barnes & Noble Books (first published October 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Faeries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faeries

Courtney
1) Introduction: Fairyland; Asimov, Isaac
2) How the Fairies Came to Ireland; Templeton, Herminie
3) The Manor of Roses; Swann, Thomas Burnett
4) The Fairy Prince; Bailey, H.C.
5) The Ugly Unicorn; Salmonson, Jessica Amanda
6) The Brownie of the Black Haggs; Hogg, James
7) The Dream of Akinosuke; Hearn, Lafadio
8) Elfinland; Tieck, Johann Ludwig
9) Darby O'Gill and the Good People; Templeton, Herminie
10) No Man's Land; Buchan, John
11) The Prism; Wilkins, Mary E.
12) The Kith of the Elf-Folk; Dunsany, Lor
Allyson
Asimov's Magical Worlds of Fantasy Series has always been a part of my life. My mother, who was a devoted SF fan when I was a child, had several of these around the house and those were my intro to other, longer works like Tolkien and Peake. This particular volume, Faeries, has some great stories, and even though the prose style is no longer modern as we read them in the 21st century, they are still great yarns that hold up well. One story in particular, having to do with aboriginal inhabitants ...more
Isabel (kittiwake)
When you came right down to it, you had to be modern. Why, Marianne wouldn't even have seen him, to say nothing of hearing what he'd had to say, if he'd worn his traditional clothing, used his own name and employed his normal means of locomotion. Twentieth-century humans were just as imaginative as eighteenth-century and nineteenth-century humans: they believed in creatures from black lagoons and monsters from 20,000 fathoms and flying saucers and beings from outer space -
But they didn't believe
Jack
This is an interesting collection of "Faerie Tales" from around the world by various famous authors. You get tales from the likes of Herminie Templeton giving us a couple excerpts of "Darby O'Gill & The Little People", as well as talkes from the likes of James Hogg, Jessica Amanda Salmonson (giving us a Chinese one that my girls liked), Andre Norton, Phillip K. Dick and Poul Anderson.

While this is a good addition to your "bedtime stories" collection for children, it's a good adult read as we
Dexter
Like all anthologies, it had great stories, and it had not so great stories. Highlights are: "The Ugly Unicorn" by Jessica Amanda Salmonson; "The Kith Of The Elf-Folk" by Lord Dunsany; "Flying Pan" by Robert F. Young; and "Kid Stuff" by Isaac Asimov himself.
Full Review:
Mars
I've managed to get about a third of the way through before getting bored and wandering away. The stories are mostly predictable, mostly pointless (the primary lesson in them being, of course, "stay the #$%@#$ away from fairies!"), and about half of the ones I've seen are terrible even by the standards of fairy tales.

Amy Hirschman
Some stories were a slow read, while others were a bit more intriguing. I'm up for more stories actually written by Asimov and also more faerie tales.
Roxanne
If you are a person that likes a mixture of modern and some older fairy tales this a good book to start with. One of my favorites was the Ugly Unicorn.
Betty
I found this book really entertaining, with interesting use of period language in some, and a varied background for the stories.
Jenn
Anthology of short stories about fairies - most are rather meh, IMHO but a very few are pretty good.
bluetyson
Faeries: Isaac Asimov's Magical Worlds of Fantasy by Isaac Asimov (1991)
Erinn
Jan 07, 2009 Erinn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Tinker Ramone
Shelves: fantasy
An excellent collection of short stories.
Sabra
Sabra marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Qistina
Qistina marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Tauseef
Tauseef marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Jaymie
Jaymie marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
S.E.
S.E. marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Pat Elvidge
Pat Elvidge marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Dawn
Dawn added it
Jul 10, 2015
Sabrina Afreen
Sabrina Afreen marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Sandy Green
Sandy Green marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Xavier Nyx
Xavier Nyx marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Ronmina
Ronmina marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Nicci
Nicci marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Megan Lynn
Megan Lynn marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Miranda Sue
Miranda Sue marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
  • The Tomorrow-Tamer
  • Faery
  • Women in Their Beds: New and Selected Stories
  • The Art of Fact: A Historical Anthology of Literary Journalism

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te
More about Isaac Asimov...
Foundation (Foundation, #1) I, Robot (Robot, #0.1) Foundation and Empire (Foundation, #2) Second Foundation (Foundation, #3) The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)