Start by marking “Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey” as Want to Read:
Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey

Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  915 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Here there be dragons . . .

Since the first unforgettable appearance of Pern's remarkable dragons and their brave human riders in the novella Weyr Search, winner of a Hugo award in 1968, millions of readers the world over have thrilled to Anne McCaffrey's bestselling saga of men, women, and dragons united against the deadly fall of Thread. Thanks to McCaffrey's bold and ge
Published November 23rd 1999 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about Dragonholder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragonholder

Hilary
I was a little dismayed when I saw how short this was, but the introduction explained why: written in 1999, it's more like a scrapbook of family stories, and ends in 1988 shortly after The White Dragon was first published.

In it we learn about Anne's childhood, what - and who - brought her to Ireland, and how elements of life influenced everything from her characters' emotional distress to those little touches of reality like bubbly pies and overly-intelligent animals as well as events which bec
Sharon
A biography only a son could have written, with love and respect. This does cover very well Anne's life (so far). I've loved her books for as long as she's been writing so to have an opportunity to look into a window into her life, not intrusively, was exquisite. Very much enjoyed the book.
Evelyn Ryan
Mine is autographed by Todd (10/12/08)!!
E. VanZwoll
Originally written in 1999, Dragonholder is the story of Anne McCaffrey's life, as written by her son Todd McCaffrey - starting with her grandparents and ending when she purchased Dragonhold in 1988. Originally published in hardcover and paperback, Open Road Media is now re-releasing this memoir of one of the most important Science Fiction authors in kindle format with a scheduled publication date of December 23, 2014.

As the years have passed, a forward was added to the book in 2011, and an intr
Stasha
A short biography of one of my favorite authors, written by her son who doesn't like his father much. It made me want tofo out and find some of her early stories. It's hard to forget that before Anne - women wore chainmail bikinis when they wore clothes ar all. She pioneered the strong female lead. Lessa and Menolly not to mention Killashandra. She was a strong woman who endured a lot. When I met her at a booksigning in college, she looked like everyone's ideal grandmother. It wasnice to learn t ...more
Sara
I picked up this book thinking it would be a Pern story. It's actually a biographical story about Anne McCaffrey, written by her son. I went ahead and read it. I learned some interesting things about her--she used to make homemade bread, is a good cook. It talks about her progress as an author, a little about her family and her divorce. Other careers she pursued-in theater and music in addition to her writing, and some of the people who inspired stories and characters she's created.
Michelle Wardhaugh
Although short, this biography was very welcoming. Both Anne and Todd invite the reader in to get to know them, telling stories about the past the way good friends do over coffee or beer or whatever. It has a slightly rambling quality that reminiscences often have, and both humor and heart are at the center of it all. I would be happy to read an expanded and more detailed version of this sometime in the future, though at the same time, the length of this one feels just right.
Too short. Didn't really get into it.
Jack Mason
If you love Anne McCaffrey you need to read this book. It was written by her son Todd and gives you some great insight into where she got her ideas and what her life was like. It was amazing. A lot of her characters were based on people in her life. Events and situations her characters were in related to things that were going on in her life at the time she was writing. All in all this book is a must read for any Anne McCaffrey fan.
Icarus
I enjoy biographies so much, I probably should seek them out more. But I pretty much only read them when they fall into my lap. Oh well. I enjoyed learning the history behind McCaffrey's creation of Pern and her rise to prominence in SF.
Rabbitt
Oct 18, 2008 Rabbitt rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
This was a nice read. I don't often read biographies but enjoyed a brief look into my favorite authors life. It was fun to see how some of her books came about.
Sharon
An account of the high points of McCaffrey's life. Sheds quite a bit of light on her fiction. I'd like more detail on what she's been up to since this one was written.
Marysia
Marysia marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Lauren Sarah
Lauren Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Els
Els marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Snakecharmer
Snakecharmer marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Mike Fischer
Mike Fischer marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Karen Snizek
Karen Snizek marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Miza Peters
Miza Peters marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
  • A Diversity of Dragons
  • Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons
  • The People of Pern
  • Dragonharper: A Crossroads Adventure in the world of Anne McCaffrey's Pern
  • The Atlas of Pern
1948907
Todd J. McCaffrey (born as Todd Johnson) is an Irish American author of science fiction best known for continuing the Dragonriders of Pern series in collaboration with his mother Anne McCaffrey.

Todd Johnson was born 27 April 1956 in Montclair, New Jersey as the second son and middle child of Horace Wright Johnson (deceased 2009), who worked for DuPont, and Anne McCaffrey (deceased 2011), who had h
More about Todd J. McCaffrey...
Dragonheart (Pern, #21) Dragonsblood (Pern, #18) Dragongirl (Pern, #22) Dragonwriter: A Tribute to Anne McCaffrey and Pern City of Angels