Start by marking “Acorna's World (Acorna #4)” as Want to Read:
Acorna's World (Acorna #4)

Acorna's World (Acorna #4)

3.75  ·  Rating Details ·  3,200 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Acorna the "unicorn girl" found as a baby years ago, abandoned and floating alone in an escape pod at the far end of the galaxy has made peace with her past, her Linyaari heritage, and with the powerful "differences" that set her apart from the loving humans who raised her. But only in the deep reaches of limitless space can she truly feel at home.
Now, aboard the interplan
Published October 1st 2001 by HarperCollins (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Acorna's World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Acorna's World

The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Last Olympian by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan
Best Books About Mythology
221st out of 733 books — 1,500 voters
The White Dragon by Anne McCaffreyDragonsong by Anne McCaffreyDragonflight by Anne McCaffreyDragonsinger by Anne McCaffreyDragonquest by Anne McCaffrey
Best Anne McCaffrey books
65th out of 77 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

A pretty standard Anne McCaffrey story, actually the bugs as villans appear elsewhere in her series. Readable tho.

The fourth book in the Acorna series some of the backstory is filled in within the first chapter so you don't really have to have read the rest. Acorna is a very beautiful half-unicorn half-humanoid being who was brought up by some humans and thinks she's the only one until she finds more of her kind. She has to work out a way of fitting into society.

In this one she goes in search of
Mar 05, 2016 cookiemonger rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This was the last book in the series that I read back in the day (I think I was sixteen, since I'm pretty sure the next book was already out). Impressionable as I was, I still hadn't cottoned to the glaring flaws in the series. However, I remember deciding that I liked this as an ending, and that I was perfectly happy not reading anymore. This may have also been when I got really sucked into the Discworld, but I digress.

As others have said, Acorna's World is standard fare for the series. More cu
Jun 15, 2015 Eric rated it it was amazing
I hadn't read these books for a few years but was able to pick up this book and fully enjoy being reintroduced to all the wonderful characters. The relationships build between Acorns and Aari developed nicely although I am still unclear about my feelings toward their ages and the physical contact in the building of the relationship. The action and excitement was well written with creativity and strategic planning.
This was the first Anne McCaffery book I've read that made me think maybe I'd outgrown her style of writing. It took awhile to engage me, through all the explanation of what had gone before. Once it did get going I enjoyed it. I find the process of filling in the uninformed viewer tedious, and unnecessary if the story stands strong on its own.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
This story is really more about Aari and Acorna together. The two are well matched due to their experiences. The secret weapon they find together to stop the killing bugs is kind of mind boggling. I'm thinking, is this a social commentary? Is this about using organic? Is this about plants are actually sentient?
Apr 12, 2011 Sera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Acorna book

Only when I read this book for the second time did I realize how bad I felt about the agony Acorna's gone through. Acorna is a character that can last through so many many books and make you remember her forever. I love the Acorna series, Anne McCaffrey is a great writer.
Nov 22, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
Once I was finally able to finish Acorna's People, I dove straight into Acorna's World. It kept me hooked and involved in every sequence. I just about could not put the book down. I can't wait until i'm able to read the next book!
Jackie Krasuski
Jul 24, 2011 Jackie Krasuski rated it it was amazing
The heroic story of Acorna touched my heart. Her saga is a fantastic sci-fi journey in another galaxy, but the writing of the places and times makes them seem so real and even comfortable. Fantastic read for any sci-fi fan.
Jan 29, 2013 Vanessa rated it really liked it
Shelves: pdf
I really liked it. The story is intriguing and the lesson I have for me is the value of looking beyond what's known, plants are sentient too, all is alive and well with a little push even love can arrive.
Jan 10, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it
I was somewhat disappointed when McCaffrey came out with several books in this series. This first installment contained some interesting elements, but the whole thing became extremely drawn out.
Denae Christine
Jul 27, 2012 Denae Christine rated it it was ok
I can't remember if I stopped at this one or the next. I stopped reading because of the, erm, "romance" between Acorna and her lover, although I can't remember his name now.
May 25, 2012 Morbid rated it liked it
A bit more progress and character development, but I want to delve deeper into characters. It's a good story, despite chugging along, but it's hopefully going to progress better.
Aug 04, 2016 Tatiana rated it it was ok
Easy to read, probably the only way to get through it. Lacks depth or dimension of any kind, but what did I expect? I doubt I'll read the following book in the series.
Feb 28, 2015 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Acorna's World (Acorna, #4)
McCaffrey, Anne
finding a way to rebuild her world and recover the people lost in the invation
Amanda Haas
Sep 23, 2015 Amanda Haas rated it really liked it
Acorna's journey starts to become clearer and more connected to the extraneous characters in this book.
Mollie *scoutrmom*
May 20, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: sci-fi fans
Shelves: read-in-2010, fantasy
Our pals from the earlier books defeat the foe forever. A rolicking good fun read.
Feb 15, 2009 Kerri rated it it was ok
Another book in the Acorna series. Not particularly memorable, but a fun, quick read.
Dec 14, 2014 Jerry rated it liked it
A good story that could have used more spacefaring action.
phillip coupe
Jun 07, 2016 phillip coupe rated it really liked it
very gripping story
Read prior to 2010
Celina and Don
May 10, 2011 Celina and Don rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2012 Howard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Diana Simmons
Diana Simmons marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
S rated it it was amazing
Christine E. Sokoloff
Christine E. Sokoloff rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2016
Fablespinner rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2016
Sarah Nutter
Sarah Nutter rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016
Deanna rated it it was ok
Oct 17, 2016
Autumn marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2016
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Anne McCaffrey's Unicorn Girl: The Illustrated Adventures
  • The People of Pern
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • Command Performance
  • The Infinite Sea (Chaos Chronicles, #3)
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 5: Boundaries
  • Blade Dancer
  • The Dragon Circle: The Stargods #2
  • Animal Crackers: A Gene Luen Yang Collection
  • The Crystal Eye (LucasFilm's Alien Chronicles, #3)
  • Traitor's Sun (Darkover, #26)
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 4: End Game
  • Silence in Solitude (Roads of Heaven, #2)
  • Chaos Mode (Mode, #3)
  • Oathblood (Valdemar: Vows and Honor, #3)
  • A Wizard in the Way (Rogue Wizard, #9)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Acorna (10 books)
  • Acorna: The Unicorn Girl (Acorna #1)
  • Acorna's Quest (Acorna #2)
  • Acorna's People (Acorna #3)
  • Acorna's Search (Acorna #5)
  • Acorna's Rebels (Acorna #6)
  • Acorna's Triumph (Acorna #7)
  • First Warning: Acorna's Children (Acorna, #8)
  • Second Wave: Acorna's Children (Acorna, #9)
  • Third Watch: Acorna's Children (Acorna, #10)