Start by marking “A Dragon in a Wagon (Magic Castle Readers)” as Want to Read:
A Dragon in a Wagon (Magic Castle Readers)

A Dragon in a Wagon (Magic Castle Readers)

Megan goes for a ride with a dragon in a wagon and they continue traveling by a great variety of transportation modes and greet a great variety of creatures along the way.
Published September 1st 1988 by Child's World (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about A Dragon in a Wagon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dragon in a Wagon

Sean Gibson
Apr 07, 2015 Sean Gibson rated it really liked it
Primary complaint: calling books "word windows." They don't really need a euphemism, and I refuse to call them that. So, given how many times we've read this, I suspect my son thinks the word "books" is spelled "word windows" when it's written on a page. Which it's not.

Still, fun read-aloud book. Kind of weird that a dragon's FAVORITE thing in the entire world is a circus-style wagon, but maybe he's just a weird dragon. It takes all kinds.
Paige Scott
Aug 24, 2016 Paige Scott rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-summaries
1) This book is about a girl named Meagan and she is in the library looking for a good book to read. She finally finds one she wants to read and opens it and suddenly becomes a part of the story, with the dragon. At the end you figure out it was just her imagination taking her places in the book as it shows the dragon riding away in the book and her turning the page.

2) Preschool-2nd grade, with the suggested reading level being 1st grade

3) This book has a lot of rhyming in it, and funny parts t
midnightfaerie
Aug 17, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Wonderful book! Rhyming, cute pictures, and it had a train! Which my preschoolers love! A fun story about a girl who goes for a ride in a wagon with a dragon. I love the reiteration of the "go" words/nouns at the back of the book, to reinforce learning. Overall a good choice.
Tori
I love this book! I had it as a child (and still have my original copy from the 90s) and I read it to my 1 and 2 year old. I love the rhymes and the colorful pictures.
Jade Kuhn
Aug 10, 2013 Jade Kuhn rated it it was amazing
A Dragon in a Wagon gives us a story about a little girl and a dragon who go through different ways to travel. One thing I find very lovely about this book is that the author is able to cover all popular modes of transportation plus give us a story in rhyme! The story is very easy to understand and it flows very nicely! Sometimes when authors use rhyme, they make up words and try to make it fit and you can tell the awkwardness of the whole thing; not with this one. The author does a fantastic ...more
Jessie
Jun 30, 2011 Jessie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Apparently there are a several books with this same title, so make sure you get this one by this author.

It's about a girl who decides to read a book and has all of these adventures in different methods of travel with a dragon in the book. The words are LARGE PRINT (which we love) and every other sentence rhymes, it's a very fun & cute read.
Megan and the dragon have to repeatedly change vehicles. First the wagon does not go very far... so they hop into a car. After the car they get on a bus
Tami
Nov 20, 2012 Tami rated it really liked it
Title: A Dragon in a wagon Author: Jane Belk Moncure Illustrated by: Linda Hohag Genre:Fantasy/Picture Book Age Level: P Date: 1988
The story is about a little girl named Megan who opens a book and joins the adventure of the story. She sees a dragon and joins him on a wagon, then jumps into a car, bus, a boat, sled, truck, train, plane and then a balloon. When jumping into the vehicles a number of other animals joined her which caused each vehicle to be weighed down.: This story is creative. I li
Lucy Hernandez
Feb 10, 2012 Lucy Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: transportation
This book is perfect for beginning readers. The illustrations are charming, and children can learn about different ways of transportation. They also can learn and recognize animals. It is simple to read, but enough to capture children's interest.

Extension:
Asks the children to make a line, one behind the other, hold the waist to the kid in front of you, and play choooo.......choooo.....chooo...... (pretend that you are a train) To much fun playing this game.
You can also ask them to name some tran
Lucas

Series: Magic Castle Readers
Ariane Brosseau
Mar 02, 2016 Ariane Brosseau rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
C'est le tout premier livre que j'ai possédé! À deux ans, je ne savais pas lire (not yet) et je le récitais d'un bout à l'autre à mes parents avant de m'endormir en regardant les images. De beaux souvenirs <3
Et l'auteure s'appelle Jane! Comme quoi, dans la vie, il n'y a pas de hasard ;)
Rainey
Jul 21, 2012 Rainey rated it really liked it
"Come to the magic castle/ When you are growing tall. Rows upon rows of Word Windows/ Line every single wall.' Thus begins this charming book about travel and the possibilities found in your local library.
Megan
Jul 11, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing
The first book I ever feel in love with! I read it every night with my mum for at least 2years between the ages of 2 and 4! To this day it's still one of my favourites and although I no longer half to read as I know it by heart I love it all the same :)
Sep 09, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Super silly book about all the different modes of transportation. Great conversation starter for my 2-year old.
Brittney Swetmon
good book about different ways to travel. fun book including a dragon hippo and many other fun creatures.
Ealthafer
This is a very simple book for preschoolers that shows different modes of transportation. I would only use this book for preschoolers and no older because it is so simple.
David Kilgore
Nov 29, 2015 David Kilgore rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
You will never believe the encounters a dragon can come across with the simplicity of a red wagon. A must read for first graders.
M Lee
M Lee rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Heather
Mar 24, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, learning-to-read
34 months - boring for parents but a good early reader for kids.
Dorna Mcbride
Dorna Mcbride rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2012
Gina
Gina rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2012
Christine
Christine rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2015
Samantha
Samantha rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2016
Prabhu
Prabhu rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Pghgranola
Pghgranola rated it liked it
May 19, 2010
Molly
Molly rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2009
Hourig
Hourig rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2013
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2013
Kymberly
Jan 01, 2016 Kymberly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Cute book on ways to travel, rhyming, and introducing different types of creatures.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • I'm a Big Sister
  • Eric Carle's ABC
  • Oh, What A Busy Day!
  • And I Mean It, Stanley
  • Voyage to the Bunny Planet (Voyage to the Bunny Planet, #1-3 Plus Intro)
  • How Big Is A Million
  • Big Tracks, Little Tracks: Following Animal Prints
Jane Belk Moncure (born December 1926) is an American author of early childhood non-fiction, fiction and poetry. She has also written under the names Bruce Wannamaker and Jennie Davis.

Moncure has lived in Virginia and North Carolina. She worked in early childhood education for thirty-five years. She lives in Elon College, North Carolina.

Moncure is a creative and prolific author: there are millions
More about Jane Belk Moncure...

Magic Castle Readers (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • What Do You Say When a Monkey Acts This Way?
  • A Color Clown Comes to Town (Magic Castle Readers)
  • What Do You Do with a Grumpy Kangaroo? (Magic Castle Readers)
  • How Many Ways Can You Cut a Pie?
  • A Wish-For Dinosaur (Magic Castle Readers)
  • The Bears Upstairs (Magic Castle Readers)
  • Away Went the Farmer's Hat (Magic Castle Readers)
  • What Can We Play Today? (Magic Castle Readers)
  • Apes Find Shapes (Magic Castle Readers)
  • A Pocketful of Pets (Magic Castle Readers)