Start by marking “Shall I Knit You a Hat?: A Christmas Yarn” as Want to Read:
Shall I Knit You a Hat?: A Christmas Yarn

Shall I Knit You a Hat?: A Christmas Yarn

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  212 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
“Shall I knit you a hat to keep your ears warm?”
To protect his ears from the cold and snow, Mother Rabbit knits Little Rabbit a hat. He loves his hat so much, he and his mother make them for all of his friends.
Published October 16th 2007 by Square Fish (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Shall I Knit You a Hat?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shall I Knit You a Hat?

The Mitten by Jan BrettGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownExtra Yarn by Mac BarnettShall I Knit You a Hat? by Kate KliseMr. Nick's Knitting by Margaret Wild
Knitting In Kids Books
4th out of 23 books — 14 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
Best Childhood Picture Books
283rd out of 392 books — 429 voters

More lists with this book...

Melki
Dec 10, 2015 Melki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, ho-ho-ho
After Mother Rabbit makes a special hat for Little Rabbit, he convinces her to knit hats for all their friends - hats that fit each of their uniquely-shaped noggins.

description

That Mother Rabbit is one super-knitter!

The illustrations are by Klise's sister. At first glance, I didn't care for them much - odd color choices that seem to clash, and then there's the problem that some of the animals are not very well drawn, particularly the horse. But on my second pass through the book, I fell in love with the ar
Ann
Dec 16, 2009 Ann rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ann by: Katie
Surprisingly sweet story about a young rabbit whose mother knits him a hat to stay off the cold of the coming storm. The young rabbit decides that this is a wonderful idea, and why don't they make hats for all their friends!

The hats turn out to be quite elaborate, and, perhaps, not the most flattering. But, the young rabbit's heart is in the right place, and his idea is a good one!

This story managed to stay away from being too sticky sweet, but it was still a good, warming story (and just sweet
Kathryn
Dec 07, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
This is your traditional Christmas story of goodwill toward your friends but with the humor and whimsy of the Klise sisters--I'm already a fan after "Imagine Harry" (similar in style to this one) and "Regarding the Fountain" (a middle grade delight!) Enjoy as Mother Rabbit and Little Rabbit prepare knitted hats to surprise their friends before the big storm on Christmas Eve!
Stephanie
Mar 17, 2010 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
another book by the kate klise (reading reptile guest). this is one of those picture books you want to live in. i want to stay in the little wes anderson colored rabbit whole home with mother and little rabbit. we can knit hats, eat carrot cake, hang bunny family trees on the wall. i had no idea i wanted to be a bunny when i grew up until i read this book.
Dionne
Dec 25, 2012 Dionne rated it really liked it
A sweet story about a mother rabbit who upon discovering a huge snow storm is coming knits a hat for her son. They decide to make hats as Presents for their friends. I bought this one to encourage my son to continue with his knitting as this is something I hope he will use later in life.
Samantha
When Mother Rabbit gets news of a blizzard moving her way, she knits Little Rabbit a hat to keep him warm. Little Rabbit loves his new hat so much he asks his mother to knit one for all of their friends. While Mother Rabbit takes measurements, Little Rabbit distracts his friends with stories. Each hat is uniquely designed to reflect the style of its owner and the friends all find themselves stylishly prepared to face the cold winter winds and snow.

Acrylic illustrations are perfection. They are
Melanie
When the news alerts Mother Rabbit to a substantial snowstorm headed their way, she realizes that the snow will cover Little Rabbits ears. So she sets out to knit him a hat that will cover him all the way to the tips of his ears. Little Rabbit loves his hat so much he wears it all the time, even when he's eating!

Little Rabbit asks his mother if they can make a hat for each of their friends for Christmas gifts. Mother Rabbit agrees and they head to the market to take measurements on the sly so th
Jackie
A sweet, short Christmas tale about how it is really better to give than receive. When mama and baby rabbit knit hats for all their friends, they don't have enough time to make something for each other. But, being together and seeing their friends happy and warm is enough for them...and a couple of pieces of carrot cake helps, too.
Edward Creter
Apr 03, 2014 Edward Creter rated it liked it
In this one Little Bunny feels generous enough to knit hats for all his friends at Christmas--and I just read this prior to Easter. Whatever the day, I encourage you to read this one to kids, 'cos Christmas should be honored every day.
Amanda
Mar 13, 2014 Amanda rated it it was amazing
This was an adorable read! My three year old picked it out at the library and we were both enchanted. The pictures are heart warming and rustic while the story was sweet mad charming. Highly recommend it for little ones (and parents too!)
Diana
Dec 07, 2015 Diana rated it it was amazing
A heart-warming story about how a little bunny and his mother create a thoughtful Christmas for their neighbors, and each other. Filled with quirky colorful illustrations.
Julie Esanu
Dec 14, 2015 Julie Esanu rated it really liked it
Shelves: holidays, kindness, giving
Lovely message of spreading kindness and how often the simplest gifts (spending time with someone) are the best gifts of all....
Erica
So sweet. Mama Rabbit knits her little bunny a hat. It's so warm and snuggly they decide to make special hats for all of their friends
Claire
Dec 31, 2015 Claire rated it liked it
A simple but sweet story of a little rabbit whose mother knits him a hat to prepare for a coming blizzard...and then that little rabbit wants his mother to knit hats for all their friends, from the horse to the deer to the goose!

Loved the illustrations filled with hilarious, fascinating details. :)
Dolly
Jan 01, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, christmas, 2011
This is a sweet, but somewhat strange story about making Christmas hats for little rabbit and all of his friends. The hats are quite unique and unusual, and the narrative is a bit saccharine, but entertaining. The illustrations are fun and our favorite pictures depict the animals with their hats out in the snow. We enjoyed reading this story together.

interesting quote:
"His mother squeezed him tight. 'Little rabbit,' she said, 'being with you is the best gift of all.'" (p. 31)
Rosa Cline
Dec 16, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, christmas
Precious Christmas story about giving! A mother rabbit knows bad weather is coming in and so she makes her son a special warm hat. After giving it to him he decides that all their friends need warm hats too. So they go to town and visits each one to get their sizes. Momma rabbit and little boy stay up all night getting the hats made in time to take to their friends in time for Christmas. A touching story of giving.
Knitology
A delightful tale of holiday giving When Mother Rabbit knits a cozy winter hat for Little Rabbit, he likes it very much. In fact, he likes it so much that he thinks all of his friends need hats for Christmas. And he has some very creative designs in mind. While Little Rabbit gets wrapped up in the joy of giving, everyone is reminded that friendship is the best gift of any season.
Becca
Apr 28, 2011 Becca rated it it was amazing
This is a great story to show children how to appreciate others' thoughtfulness as well as giving back themselves. Although it is a great story geared near the holiday times in the winter, it is great to read at any point when teaching politeness and friendliness. It shows sincerity, and making it more memorable using animals and Christmas.
Shawna
Nov 28, 2013 Shawna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Little Rabbit's mother is worried about him staying warm with the upcoming snow, so she knits him a hat to keep his ears warm. Little Rabbit thinks hats would make a wonderful Christmas present for his friends and Mother Rabbit agrees. Colorful illustrations add to this delightful story of giving and friendship.
Jenny
Nov 29, 2012 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful story to read to children during Christmas. Little Rabbit thinks of gifts for his friends, but he wants each gift to be special and unique as his friends. A heartwarming story of friendship, giving and caring for others.
Meg McGregor
Nov 22, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it
Mother Rabbit and her little Baby Rabbit create warm hats for their friends to wear to help protect them from the late Christmas Eve blizzard!

A wonderful story that shows the true meaning of Christmas is caring for one another!
~*mandy*~
Dec 29, 2012 ~*mandy*~ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore this book! As a knitting Mama who makes most Christmas gifts - this book fits our family perfectly <3 We'll have to own it!
Linda
Jan 30, 2012 Linda rated it liked it
Nice lesson about the joy of giving. Loved the selection of inividualized hats that were created for each animal character!
Sara Canadé
Mar 14, 2013 Sara Canadé rated it it was amazing
I really like the portrayal of the relationship between the rabbit lad and his single mother in this lovely kid's book.
Kathryn
Dec 19, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
A clever story about giving and the hats are fabulously adorable. The illustrator had fun with this one.
Angela
Oct 05, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A lovely book any time of the year, but especially during the colder, gift giving months.
kelly
Sep 17, 2012 kelly rated it really liked it
Another wonderful book we borrowed from wonderful Colony library year after year.
Mandy
Dec 30, 2007 Mandy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family-favorites
Best childrens' book of all time for someone who likes to make hats for their friends :-)
Holly
Dec 12, 2013 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: carson-s
A very cute and thoughtful book about making gifts for friends. Love.
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas
  • Santa Calls
  • Santa Claus the World's Number One Toy Expert
  • Santa's Book of Names
  • Christmas In The Country
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.

Catherine "Kate" Klise is an American author of children's literature. Many of her books are illustrated by her sister, M. Sarah Klise. Their popular Regarding series is presented in a scrapbook style format, with letters, journal entries, and related ephemera telling the story. She is also known for her picture
More about Kate Klise...