Start by marking “Zen Lessons: The Art of Leadership” as Want to Read:
Zen Lessons: The Art of Leadership

Zen Lessons: The Art of Leadership

This guide to enlightened conduct for people in positions of authority is based on the teachings of several great Chinese Zen masters. Drawing on private records, letters, and long-lost documents of the Song dynasty (tenth to thirteenth centuries), Zen Lessons consists of short excerpts written in language that is accessible to the reader without any background in Eastern ...more
Published April 20th 2004 by Shambhala (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Zen Lessons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zen Lessons

Gregg Bell
Dec 07, 2014 Gregg Bell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I get this magazine every week (slight pun) called The Week. They propositioned me after Newsweek (which I used to get) went digital. The Week is basically a collection of other news sources. They have no reporters. Just '...in the NY Times so and so wrote...' There is endless paraphrasing and unattributed quotes. You lose track of who is saying what and then get to wonder if anybody is saying anything at all.

That's kind of what Zen Lessons is like. Now I've read extensively in eastern religions
Graham
Jul 15, 2008 Graham added it
Review of "Zen Lessons: The Art of Leadership": It is said that there is nothing new under the sun. Certainly the issues facing leaders today are comparable to those that have faced leaders across cultures and throughout time. Human nature has not changed, and therefore the fundamentals of leadership -- the process of channeling human nature in a particular direction -- have not changed.

"Zen Lessons: The Art of Leadership" conveys this message in spades. In the format of a series of compact pass

KC Anton
Dec 30, 2008 KC Anton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I skim this puppy for enlightenment on group leadership. I know and do many of the principles shared, yet it is a great reminder in small one minute reads.

Zen masters of China sharing their teachings to students, other masters, and personal notes in their diaries. You don't need to understand Buddhism, its styles and sects (Chan is quoted strongly), or Easter philosophy. These are short ideas to realize:
•what is leadership •what is community • what is spiritual authority •how do you judge these
Craig Werner
Less a book about/out of Zen than a compilation of aphorisms and teaching stories for leaders, especially the abbots of Zen monasteries. The sayings date to the Song dynasty (10th-13th centuries CE), which were perceived by those living then as a decline from Zen's classical period during the Tang dynasty. The Zen readings that speak to me are those located much closer to the paradoxes and silences of Huang Po; these pieces are a useful reminder that Zen existed in a real world of fallible human ...more
Amy
Jul 01, 2007 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My dad was reading this book for some reason years and years ago. I picked it up and since then my idea of leadership in business had changed. To watch a human treat another human without judgement or authority in management is so rare, yet it is what works. let people go, trust that they are doing what you hired them to do, believe in them and chances are you will get more from them than if you are a micro-manager.
Nikish Chanekar
Dec 15, 2009 Nikish Chanekar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
nice book on cumulative wisdom gleaned from the correspondences of wise and responsible people of old.this book is not telling us anything new but remind us not to forget the good, the beautiful and the true which is found everywhere irrespective of geographical, social climate. what matters however is having patience to apply this time honoured principle in practial life that is giving them chance to work its way into reality.
GoldenjoyBazyll
Jul 02, 2010 GoldenjoyBazyll rated it really liked it
While it is a small book in size it really takes a bit of time to read it. The teachings come from Chinese Zen Masters and while they are very thought provoking writings often I had to stop and really re-read and spend more than a quick minute on it. Thessons within the pages are for the person who wants to lead others in a humane and enlightened way. For me it was very affirming and at the same time offered new perspectives.
Angel
There are some nuggets of wisdom here, but there are also a lot of superfluous passages. This is a book on leadership, or so it claims given that many passages seem to have little to do with the topic (or maybe it was just not as evident to me when I read it). While I did jot down a couple of good ideas, overall, this is a book to just skim. There may be other better books related to Zen and leadership. The book is basically a collection of sayings by various Zen masters.
Jake Maguire
Jun 12, 2008 Jake Maguire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth checking out
Celio
Celio rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2013
Kevinjeroue
Kevinjeroue rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2009
Lilbit Becker
Lilbit Becker rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2012
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2008
Lindsay Vanbrocklin
Lindsay Vanbrocklin rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Arashi
Arashi rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2015
Vincenzodimaio
Vincenzodimaio rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2011
Soha Zeitouni
Soha Zeitouni rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2014
Carlos Cordero
Carlos Cordero rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2013
Umar Noureddin
Umar Noureddin rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2015
Carlos Durán
Carlos Durán rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2013
Antonio
Antonio rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2008
Eduard Vinyamata
Eduard Vinyamata rated it did not like it
Jun 09, 2013
PtR
PtR rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2012
Max
Max rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2013
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2008
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2011
Dan
Dan rated it liked it
May 24, 2008
J. S. Allen
J. S. Allen rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2016
Tord Helsingeng
Tord Helsingeng rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2012
Dominic Ng
Dominic Ng rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Zen Speaks: Shouts of Nothingness
  • Our Appointment with Life: Discourse on Living Happily in the Present Moment
  • The Zen Way to Martial Arts: A Japanese Master Reveals the Secrets of the Samurai
  • Awakening Loving-Kindness
  • Zen and Japanese Culture
  • The Teachings of Don Carlos: Practical Applications of the Works of Carlos Castaneda
  • Instructions to the Cook: A Zen Master's Lessons in Living a Life That Matters
  • Essential Tibetan Buddhism
  • The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way: Nāgārjuna's Mūlamadhyamakakārikā
  • Meditation in Action
  • Zen Training: Methods and Philosophy
  • The Way of Aikido:  Life Lessons from an American Sensei
  • Essential Zen
  • Taking the Path of Zen
  • Zen Bow, Zen Arrow: The Life and Teachings of Awa Kenzo, the Archery Master from "Zen in the Art of Archery"
  • Beyond Thinking: A Guide to Zen Meditation