Start by marking “Zen Lessons: The Art of Leadership” as Want to Read:
Zen Lessons: The Art of Leadership

Zen Lessons: The Art of Leadership

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This guide to enlightened conduct for people in positions of authority is based on the teachings of several great Chinese Zen masters. Drawing on private records, letters, and long-lost documents of the Song dynasty (tenth to thirteenth centuries), Zen Lessons consists of short excerpts written in language that is accessible to the reader without any background in Eastern ...more
Published April 20th 2004 by Shambhala (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Zen Lessons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zen Lessons

Gregg Bell
I get this magazine every week (slight pun) called The Week. They propositioned me after Newsweek (which I used to get) went digital. The Week is basically a collection of other news sources. They have no reporters. Just '...in the NY Times so and so wrote...' There is endless paraphrasing and unattributed quotes. You lose track of who is saying what and then get to wonder if anybody is saying anything at all.

That's kind of what Zen Lessons is like. Now I've read extensively in eastern religions
Graham
Jul 15, 2008 Graham added it
Review of "Zen Lessons: The Art of Leadership": It is said that there is nothing new under the sun. Certainly the issues facing leaders today are comparable to those that have faced leaders across cultures and throughout time. Human nature has not changed, and therefore the fundamentals of leadership -- the process of channeling human nature in a particular direction -- have not changed.

"Zen Lessons: The Art of Leadership" conveys this message in spades. In the format of a series of compact pass

KC Anton
I skim this puppy for enlightenment on group leadership. I know and do many of the principles shared, yet it is a great reminder in small one minute reads.

Zen masters of China sharing their teachings to students, other masters, and personal notes in their diaries. You don't need to understand Buddhism, its styles and sects (Chan is quoted strongly), or Easter philosophy. These are short ideas to realize:
•what is leadership •what is community • what is spiritual authority •how do you judge these
Craig Werner
Less a book about/out of Zen than a compilation of aphorisms and teaching stories for leaders, especially the abbots of Zen monasteries. The sayings date to the Song dynasty (10th-13th centuries CE), which were perceived by those living then as a decline from Zen's classical period during the Tang dynasty. The Zen readings that speak to me are those located much closer to the paradoxes and silences of Huang Po; these pieces are a useful reminder that Zen existed in a real world of fallible human ...more
Angel
There are some nuggets of wisdom here, but there are also a lot of superfluous passages. This is a book on leadership, or so it claims given that many passages seem to have little to do with the topic (or maybe it was just not as evident to me when I read it). While I did jot down a couple of good ideas, overall, this is a book to just skim. There may be other better books related to Zen and leadership. The book is basically a collection of sayings by various Zen masters.
Nikish Chanekar
nice book on cumulative wisdom gleaned from the correspondences of wise and responsible people of old.this book is not telling us anything new but remind us not to forget the good, the beautiful and the true which is found everywhere irrespective of geographical, social climate. what matters however is having patience to apply this time honoured principle in practial life that is giving them chance to work its way into reality.
GoldenjoyBazyll
While it is a small book in size it really takes a bit of time to read it. The teachings come from Chinese Zen Masters and while they are very thought provoking writings often I had to stop and really re-read and spend more than a quick minute on it. Thessons within the pages are for the person who wants to lead others in a humane and enlightened way. For me it was very affirming and at the same time offered new perspectives.
Amy
My dad was reading this book for some reason years and years ago. I picked it up and since then my idea of leadership in business had changed. To watch a human treat another human without judgement or authority in management is so rare, yet it is what works. let people go, trust that they are doing what you hired them to do, believe in them and chances are you will get more from them than if you are a micro-manager.
Che Quartez
Che Quartez marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Lucie
Lucie marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Adam Morris
Adam Morris marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Christian Allan
Christian Allan marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Victor Wasilov
Victor Wasilov marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Ronald Arevalo
Ronald Arevalo marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Emilija
Emilija marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Kaitlin
Kaitlin marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Jeremy Cham
Jeremy Cham is currently reading it
May 23, 2015
Floatingstarbuck
Floatingstarbuck marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Orsen
Orsen marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Raj
Raj marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
  • Zen Speaks: Shouts of Nothingness
  • Zen and Japanese Culture
  • Awakening Loving-Kindness
  • Essential Tibetan Buddhism
  • The Zen Way to Martial Arts: A Japanese Master Reveals the Secrets of the Samurai
  • The Diamond That Cuts Through Illusion: Commentaries on the Prajnaparamita Diamond Sutra
  • The Way of the Samurai: Yukio Mishima on Hagakure in Modern Life
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation Through Hearing in the Bardo
  • The Art of Peace
  • The Zen Teaching of Huang Po: On the Transmission of Mind
  • The Teachings of Don Carlos: Practical Applications of the Works of Carlos Castaneda
  • Zen Training: Methods And Philosophy
  • Legends of the Samurai
  • Instructions to the Cook: A Zen Master's Lessons in Living a Life That Matters
  • The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way: Nāgārjuna's Mūlamadhyamakakārikā
  • Meditation in Action
  • Code of the Samurai: A Modern Translation of the Bushido Shoshinshu of Taira Shigesuke
  • Being Zen: Bringing Meditation to Life
The Essential Tao I Ching The Essential Koran The Essential Confucius The Taoist Classics, Volume 1: The Collected Translations of Thomas Cleary