Start by marking “Upside-Down Zen: Finding the Marvelous in the Ordinary” as Want to Read:
Upside-Down Zen: Finding the Marvelous in the Ordinary

Upside-Down Zen: Finding the Marvelous in the Ordinary

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  26 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Upside-Down Zen invites readers to explore the vivid spirit of Zen Buddhism in fresh ways. Recalling, in another vein, the warm, lyrical style of Lin Jensen’s Bad Dog!, author Susan Murphy offers a multifaceted take on the spiritual, grounded in the everyday. She uses her skills as storyteller, filmmaker, and poet to uncover the connections between Zen and Western cinema, ...more
Published November 13th 2006 by Wisdom Publications

To ask other readers questions about Upside-Down Zen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Upside-Down Zen

Ben Hourigan
Mar 17, 2016 Ben Hourigan rated it really liked it
I came to this one in hard times. An old friend of mine, who I had not seen in years, was dying; I was under enough stress that I considered a full year off overseas, to write; and I was on the verge of realizing I had to leave yet another girlfriend.

It was this old friend who helped pull me back closer to Zen after several years away from my sangha and my practice. We were both students of Susan Murphy's, and it seemed time to read this at last.

So I didn't read it from beginning to end, but pic
Harley
Jun 28, 2010 Harley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-read-again
Deep, rich, and poetic, and much of it way over my head. But I discovered that going back and re-reading something that made me go "Huh?" was rewarding, and it is on my new shelf, the "to-read-again" shelf. I took notes like mad, because so many things spoke to me and I wanted to hang on to them. Very un-Buddhist of me. The author is an Australian zen teacher, in the lineage of Robert Aitkin, and introduces many koans as she goes along. She also has an interest in finding the connections between ...more
Judy Kuhn
Aug 10, 2011 Judy Kuhn rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I read on Zen Buddhism and Zen koans, and it was a revelation -- a creative, imaginative and delightfully un-stuffy way to deal with life's problems that seems to speak to me. There are lots of people writing about Buddhism and Zen Buddhism these days, and many of them are brilliant, but I especially like a group of "down-under" thinkers from Australia and thereabouts that includes Susan Murphy and John Tarrant.
Karen
Aug 10, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Murphy incorporates a lot of narratives -- her own and others -- as she uses a Buddhist framework to respond to a variety of life's challenges. A gentle book with great depth.
Jamie
May 27, 2007 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Very very dense. You need a whole day to read one paragraph....but that's what's so great about it!
Wooju BAUS
Wooju BAUS marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Sarabi Eventide
Sarabi Eventide marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it it was ok
Jan 16, 2016
Anita
Anita rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
David
David rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2015
D'Arcy
D'Arcy rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2015
Hoyadaisy
Hoyadaisy rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Noreen
Noreen rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2015
MerryMeerkat
MerryMeerkat rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2015
Heather Williams
Heather Williams marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Matty
Matty marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Joe
Joe rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2014
Robyn
Robyn rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Faux Maux
Faux Maux marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Glennis
Glennis marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Ian Miller
Ian Miller rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2014
Alan Sauter
Alan Sauter marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Sara Shepherd
Sara Shepherd marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2013
Brandan Roberts
Brandan Roberts rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2013
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2013
Yvonne
Yvonne marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2013
David McMenomy
David McMenomy marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2013