Start by marking “Zen Keys: A Guide to Zen Practice” as Want to Read:
Zen Keys: A Guide to Zen Practice

Zen Keys: A Guide to Zen Practice

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  550 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Thich Nhat Hanh brings his warmth and clarity to this unique explication of Zen Buddhism. Beginning with a discussion of daily life in a Zen monastery, Nhat Hanh illustrates the character of Zen as practiced in Vietnam, and gives the reader clear explanations of the central elements of Zen practice and philosophy. Thorough attention is given to concepts such as Awareness a ...more
Published December 1st 1994 by Harmony (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Zen Keys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zen Keys

The Bhagavad Gita by AnonymousAnna Karenina by Leo TolstoyThe Art of War by Sun TzuThe Intelligent Investor by Benjamin GrahamThe Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith
If You Could Read Only 10 Books
56th out of 56 books — 16 voters
1984 by George OrwellThe Pale Blue Eye by Louis BayardCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlThe Merchant of Venice by William ShakespeareSiddhartha by Hermann Hesse
More Favorite Reads
59th out of 103 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Sean
Dec 23, 2009 Sean rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who have read other books by Thich Nhat Hanh first.
If you have not yet, I might recommend reading some of Thich Nhat Hanh's other works before getting to this one. If you're looking for one to start with, The Miracle of Mindfulness is perfect: very practical no matter your own traditions and great to return to again and again. After several years of learning from some of his other books and enjoying my own practice of mindfulness, I was ready to read this one which deals more about the history of Zen practice. It is unlike other books I have rea ...more
Mqcarpenter
A great look at the foundations of Zen, its basic practices, and its purpose. Hanh offers a very easily read piece that even Westerners with no Buddhist understanding can follow. T

hich Nhat Hanh is a Vietnamese Zen master, poet, and spokesman for the Vietnamese Buddhist peace movement. In 1967 he was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize by Martin Luther King Jr. He is the author of several books, including Peace is Every Step, The Miracle of Mindfulness, and Being Peace.

Thich Nhat Hanh brings his
Eric Piotrowski
Thich Nhat Hanh is an engaging writer with a clear desire to make zen accessible to a lay audience. He does a good job here of blending eastern concepts with western sensibilities, giving us a clear insight into the foundations of zen.

My only complaint is the second half of Section V, "Footprints of Emptiness", which goes deep into murky territory of esoteric delineations such that I felt not only lost, but bored. An excerpt: "In reality vikalpa, paratantra, and nispanna are only states of knowl
Ian
Aug 03, 2007 Ian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people interested in zen
for the most part i enjoyed this book, and it helped a lot to explain some concepts i have read about in other books but was never really clear on. for example, the meaning of all those koans, or at least why i don't get them, and the whole no mind non-being thing. there were a few chapters on the history of the various schools of buddhism and the beginnings of zen that i found somewhat hard to follow, but overall it was definitely worth the time to read.
it was also brutally honest about the fac
Mark R.
Going into this book, I had little knowledge of Zen beliefs. I've read a bit here and there on eastern religions, Krishna and basic Buddhist teachings, but am by no means an expert.

"Zen Keys" is a good, brief read that provides answers for those curious to know what Zen is all about.

The book ends with a series of forty short meditations. Reading through these was somewhat tedious, but overall, the book does what it sets out to do, in a very read-able manner.
Maher
Great book. But there were few paragraphs that used too much Sanskrit, Pali and Vietnamese words that were hard to understand. Great entry for a newbie in Zen.
 Gloria Maria  Vazquez
My first read on Zen. What I gleaned from this read --- mindfulness. To live fully in the present.
Abel Mcbride
Really clear and straight forward writing to help you understand these seemingly complex yet deceptively simple mindsets and mentalities of Zen Buddhists. goes fairly deep into the history, complete with long-hard-to-pronounce names. Very inyteresting read though, really got my brain thinking at moments.
Rebecca
It does its best to be clear about zen and does suceed in some respects on conveying the history of the practise, but to be honest, it wasn't really worth the read. Some of the practises are still confusing, and with life and time so short, reading time should be devoted to better or clearer books.
Stef
I enjoyed this book by Thich Nhat Hanh but not as much as his others. Some of the chapters I found a little difficult to digest, though I thoroughly enjoyed the koans in the last chapter. I borrowed this book from the library, but would consider purchasing it just to have access to the koans.
s.m. k.
I read this shortly after reading "What the Buddha Taught" by Dr. Rahula and was underwhelmed. It's been quite a while since I've read it so will concede that this may be an unfair review. That said, the book I continue to return to is Dr. Rahula's "What the Buddha Taught."
Josh
Pretty heady stuff. This book was difficult at times... the philosophy and historical development of Zen is explored relatively in depth considering how small the book is. However, it was well worth the challenge.
Michael Mangos
I liked this book, but it was substantially harder to get through than some of his other work. It just wasn't as enjoyable to read as other books on Buddhism I've read. Overall, though, I really like Thich Nhat Hanh's approach to Buddhism and his zen teachings.
Marion
I love Thich Nhat Hanh and found much wisdom in this book, in which Thich Nhat Hanh tells about the history and practice of Zen in all its forms. To be honest, I got a bit bored with some of the historical information, but I still felt that I got a lot from this book.
Kyle
This is practical and wonderful introduction and overview into the practice and philosophy of Zen Buddhism. It provides tangible ways to introduce and practice Zen in one's life--a great starter book for the novice Eastern thinker.
Mihai
Aug 18, 2011 Mihai rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Very easy to read and understand. Not as deep as I expected it to be.
Con Robinson
This is a great intro to Zen. I enjoyed this author's writing style.
Carrie
verging on philosophy, piecharts of "reality" = deep
Mariana
Any book about Zen Practice is a contradiction.
Cherie
B- Not his best, but interesting the same.
John
nonfiction,philosophy,zen,buddhism
Chuy Vidaurri mudd
Chuy Vidaurri mudd marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Tamhas
Tamhas marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Austin Zobel
Austin Zobel marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Jacques Yerby
Jacques Yerby marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
  • Moon In a Dewdrop: Writings of Zen Master Dogen
  • Buddhism Is Not What You Think: Finding Freedom Beyond Beliefs
  • The Three Pillars of Zen
  • Being Black: Zen and the Art of Living with Fearlessness and Grace
  • The Accidental Buddhist: Mindfulness, Enlightenment, and Sitting Still, American Style
  • Nine-Headed Dragon River: Zen Journals, 1969-1982
  • A Glimpse of Nothingness: Experiences in an American Zen Community
  • The Little Zen Companion
  • Being Zen: Bringing Meditation to Life
  • Essential Buddhism: A Complete Guide to Beliefs and Practices
  • Crooked Cucumber: The Life and Teaching of Shunryu Suzuki
  • Taking the Path of Zen
More about Thích Nhất Hạnh...
Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation Living Buddha, Living Christ The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation Being Peace