Start by marking “Bayou Jesus” as Want to Read:
Bayou Jesus

Bayou Jesus

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Frank Potter, a black Christ-like figure, and Samson Boudreaux, a white man of great power and greater weakness, live in a house of haunted women. And when the possibilities of miracle surrounding Frank become all too real, the inevitable tragedy of Christ's
Published by iUniverse (first published December 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Bayou Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bayou Jesus

Jessica
Meaning to start a chapter or two, I sat down with this book and it had other thoughts for me. I couldn't put it down until it was finished. This story is both tragic and beautiful. M.G. Miller writes in such a way his reader is right there with his characters. I could see and smell the bayou though I have never physically been there. I felt what it was like growing up a sexually and spiritually confused black woman in times of slavery, as well as the love and purity that poured from Frank's sou ...more
Laura Cushing
A southern gothic tale about a boy named Frank who becomes a preacher known as Bayou Jesus, and the two families black and white who are haunted by his legacy.

Frank's mother Zassy tells the story, looking back on her son's life in 'present day' sections. The book is divided into three eras - Father, Son, and Ghost they are called adding to the overall theme of the book.

The disturbing conclusion of the story is a bit too abrupt- I would have liked to have seen more build to it, and more of the af
Madison Woods
This was an interesting, thought-provoking read. There were many times I had to put the book down but wished I could run on no sleep so I could have kept reading until I finished it. The only reason it took me as long as it did to read the whole thing is because I only get blocks of a few minutes at a time to read, otherwise I would probably have read it all in one weekend.
Sybil Rice
The characters in this story are captivating from the beginning. The turmoil of post slavery Louisiana comes through in the struggles of Zazzy and Jolene to raise Frank. I think the end of the story was a bit abrupt but overall it was a good read.
Lora Cumbie
Wow! I really do not know what to say about the story. I thought it was going in one direction, but it completely turned in another. It was original and very haunting.

The story begins with Zassy as an older woman, reflecting back to her life as a girl of 13, with her mama and friend Jolene. It progresses into how Zassy and Jolene find themselves as part of a new and troubled family. At the center of it are Zassy, Jolene, Frank, and Alice. There are the extremes of light and dark in this book, no
Peggy Chambers
Bayou Jesus by M.G. Miller is an epic tale of the south from the early 1900s to the American Civil Rights era. Zazzy was a young girl when she met the preacher. She bore his son and lost her family at the same time. However, there are all kinds of family. Her son Frank would become the one they called Bayou Jesus and would stir the south like it hadn’t been stirred in many years. Secrets will be revealed and promises broken. But Zazzy will survive.
Amy  Katherine Brown
First off, this book was not at all what I thought it would be. I somehow thought it was a non-fiction book, and it is not. That being said, it was an interesting read, however I must warn others that it contained course language (with the occasional F bomb), regular use of the "N" word, and other adult content.

Initially as I started to read the book and realize that it was not what I thought it would be, I was going to simply not continue reading the book. But I did.

It turned out to be an inte
Joel
I downloaded this to my Kindle as the settings in my native Louisiana piqued my curiosity. I've read at least one review that likens it to "The Help". To an extent, I can come to agreement here. This is the Old Deep South, set in the early 1960's. The text contains plenty of multicultural references and religious undertones. So many issues that were prominent at that time are evident here. The storyline does leave more to be desired, but the references to geographic locations and climates and ge ...more
Anna Erishkigal
This book captivated me from the very first word with the voices of each of the characters. I felt as though I had been transported back to the racial discrimination of 1917 through 1963. Viewing that discrimination, and the attitudes of each of the characters, made their actions seem real. I figured out quickly where this novel would head given my knowledge of the history of the civil rights movement and, sadly, this book brought that to life as well. This book will transport you back to that t ...more
Jennifer Oliver
I'm not sure what kind of magic M.G. Miller used but he drew me completely into this story from the first page. This isn't normally the type of book I would read, but I didn't want to put it down. I stayed up reading it late into the night because I couldn't stop. His writing style is mesmerizing and the storyline was quite compelling.
I can't wait to read more from this author.
Debra
This is a hauntingly beautiful story. I’ll admit this isn’t my usual type of read, but right from page one M.G. Miller had me hooked. His writing is mesmerizing. I couldn’t wait to pick the book up each day. Although the subject matter can be disturbing, I found it to delivered brilliantly. This is one of those stories that will touch you deep down and you’ll never forget it.
August McLaughlin
"Bayou Jesus" is one of the most beautiful, captivating, un-put-downable books I've read. M.G. Miller is an artist's artist with a profound gift for cultivating characters and stories that touch hearts, challenge beliefs, haunt and entertain. I can't wait for more (and more) from him.
Luna Zega
Bayou Jesus is disturbing, but in a good way. The characters in this book will follow you for days, if not weeks. M.G.Miller paints a vivid scene and captures emotions like no other. He's truly a brilliant author and I will read all his books.
Wanda
Great writing. I do not usually gravitate to books in the gothic category, but the title intrigued me. I read this on my trip to New Orleans. I actually read the Kindle edition(that choice was not given).
Keli Wright
Strong themes. Another reviewer used the words I would choose: disturbing, thought-provoking. This is a story that haunts you. A true Southern Gothic.
Claire Croxton
This is one of the most thought provoking, disturbing books I've read in a long time. Brilliant. Beautifully written. Riveting read.
Karen
Apr 19, 2012 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Just about anyone
Recommended to Karen by: Found on Amazon-free that day!
Good read, although it got a bit strange at the end...which is okay by me! Enjoyed it.
Moye
Intersting insight to the South in the 30s. Brutal and real.
Carleen
Carleen marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Vickie
Vickie marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Chris Winfield
Chris Winfield marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014