Start by marking “The Zen Path Through Depression” as Want to Read:
The Zen Path Through Depression

The Zen Path Through Depression

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Drawing on his own struggle, Philip Martin reveals another path people can travel to get through depression - one that not only eases the pain, but mends the spirit. Extremely accessible to people with little or no Zen experience as well as to longtime students of Buddhism, The Zen Path Through Depression shows how the insights and exercises of Zen offer relief for those s ...more
Published February 16th 2000 by HarperOne (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Zen Path Through Depression, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Zen Path Through Depression

Clare
I’m not depressed. I’m not Buddhist. But I love this book.

The Zen Path Through Depression by Philip Martin was a truly meaningful read for me. I received the book as a gift from a friend after meeting with my meditation group one evening. “Here, I thought this might speak to you,” he said caringly as he handed me a small paperback. It was only after I’d gotten home and looked at the book that I realized the very friend who gifted it was also the author.

The format of Martin’s book is welcome, es
Satia
May 14, 2008 Satia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: buddhism, depression
I would give this 3.5 stars but since goodreads doesn't allow people to do that, I am forced to give it only three. For a more complete review:

And here are some quotes I especially liked for various reasons:

In Buddhism the body is rightly perceived as the means through which we achieve enlightenment. Yet our technology aims increasingly at making the body obsolete. Today we often ignore one of our bodies’ most basic needs, the need to be of use. We drive i
Trey Nowell
I really enjoyed this book and its message a lot. Coming from someone with a degree in both religious studies and psychology, it hits home with intertwining the message of each area of study. The meditations are very good for someone unfamiliar with them and the knowledge of many great teachers to draw upon inspiring quotes was well done. A very good book for someone more so experiencing depression rather than trying to understand it. I would rec this book to anyone wanting to know how to attain ...more
Zina
Oct 30, 2007 Zina rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with depression who are novices to buddhism
this guy has a degree in buddhist psychology! if that's not the coolest thing ever, then i don't know what is.

this book may not contain any new information, but what it says is still important and it does help to refresh one's memory of the basics.

these are things that one should keep in mind with or without depression. they represent the fundamental knowledge that is useful to all human beings. i suggest reading up on buddhist philosophy if you haven't already.
Renate
The Zen Path for coping with life's trials and tribulations might have been a more suitable title. Very useful.
Adrianne Mathiowetz
I don't think I'm zen enough yet to handle this book. Either that or the author was just honestly annoying.
Wendy
Gentle, practical, full of wisdom.
Allison
I really enjoyed this book. I found the chapters on Death, Impermanence and Fear to be the hardest (on a personal level) to stomach. It's hopeful, it's personal and it has some great advice and meditation guides. It's a wonderful little book for those dealing with depression or just want to bring more balance into their lives.
James Spada
its OX e Moron., "i aint no ox moron." - renaissance man with Danny Devito

English language needs to be standardized, like chinese written language. there is to much syntax
Daniel Seymour
In short passages the author shares his thoughts regarding various elements of depression. He does so with warmth and wisdom. A belief that we can work our way through this depression is present on every page.
Megan Salyer
Do not read if you're depressed or you'll stay that way, but if you read it out of desire to understand a depressed partner then you can help their way through it.
Eliza T. Williamson
I really liked how this book was set up--each exerpt was an idea unto itself--easily accessible & not self-helpy. Wise, interesting thoughts.
Marsha
Marsha marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Terry Simpkins
Terry Simpkins is currently reading it
May 14, 2015
Josh Resler
Josh Resler marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Stephanie Donohue
Stephanie Donohue marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Alan Crawford
Alan Crawford marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Bess
Bess marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Vrinda
Vrinda marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Connie Malott
Connie Malott marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Mjr
Mjr marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Natfoxxfiends
Natfoxxfiends marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
  • Taking the Path of Zen
  • Hooked!: Buddhist Writings on Greed, Desire, and the Urge to Consume
  • The Key: And the Name of the Key Is Willingness
  • The Art of Living: Vipassana Meditation: As Taught by S. N. Goenka
  • Buddhist Scriptures
  • The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion: Freeing Yourself from Destructive Thoughts and Emotions
  • A Practical Guide to Buddhist Meditation
  • Open Heart, Clear Mind: An Introduction to the Buddha's Teachings
  • One City: A Declaration of Interdependence
  • Moon In a Dewdrop: Writings of Zen Master Dogen
  • Depression: The Way Out of Your Prison
Doctor Who: The Creed of the Kromon (Big Finish Audio Drama, #53) The Writer's Guide to Fantasy Literature: From Dragon's Lair to Hero's Quest Doctor Who: Vengeance on Varos (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 106) Doctor Who: Trial of a Time Lord : Mindwarp (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 139) Doctor Who: Mission to Magnus (The Lost Stories 1.2)