Start by marking “The Zen Path Through Depression” as Want to Read:
The Zen Path Through Depression

The Zen Path Through Depression

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  194 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Drawing on his own struggle, Philip Martin reveals another path people can travel to get through depression - one that not only eases the pain, but mends the spirit. Extremely accessible to people with little or no Zen experience as well as to longtime students of Buddhism, The Zen Path Through Depression shows how the insights and exercises of Zen offer relief for those s ...more
Published February 16th 2000 by HarperOne (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Zen Path Through Depression, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Zen Path Through Depression

Clare
Sep 17, 2011 Clare rated it it was amazing
I’m not depressed. I’m not Buddhist. But I love this book.

The Zen Path Through Depression by Philip Martin was a truly meaningful read for me. I received the book as a gift from a friend after meeting with my meditation group one evening. “Here, I thought this might speak to you,” he said caringly as he handed me a small paperback. It was only after I’d gotten home and looked at the book that I realized the very friend who gifted it was also the author.

The format of Martin’s book is welcome, es
Satia
May 14, 2008 Satia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: buddhism, depression
I would give this 3.5 stars but since goodreads doesn't allow people to do that, I am forced to give it only three. For a more complete review:

And here are some quotes I especially liked for various reasons:

In Buddhism the body is rightly perceived as the means through which we achieve enlightenment. Yet our technology aims increasingly at making the body obsolete. Today we often ignore one of our bodies’ most basic needs, the need to be of use. We drive i
Trey Nowell
Aug 22, 2013 Trey Nowell rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and its message a lot. Coming from someone with a degree in both religious studies and psychology, it hits home with intertwining the message of each area of study. The meditations are very good for someone unfamiliar with them and the knowledge of many great teachers to draw upon inspiring quotes was well done. A very good book for someone more so experiencing depression rather than trying to understand it. I would rec this book to anyone wanting to know how to attain ...more
Zina
Oct 30, 2007 Zina rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people with depression who are novices to buddhism
this guy has a degree in buddhist psychology! if that's not the coolest thing ever, then i don't know what is.

this book may not contain any new information, but what it says is still important and it does help to refresh one's memory of the basics.

these are things that one should keep in mind with or without depression. they represent the fundamental knowledge that is useful to all human beings. i suggest reading up on buddhist philosophy if you haven't already.
Renate
Dec 12, 2012 Renate rated it really liked it
The Zen Path for coping with life's trials and tribulations might have been a more suitable title. Very useful.
Adrianne Mathiowetz
I don't think I'm zen enough yet to handle this book. Either that or the author was just honestly annoying.
Maria
Mar 22, 2016 Maria rated it it was amazing
I got this book from the library and I need to get my own copy! I've read a lot of books about different forms of Buddhism and this is the first to directly address practicing with and for a mental illness. As someone who struggles with depression, the author Philip Martin recognizes that being depressed is a different outlook than most people coming to Buddhism. He offers guided meditations for recognizing depression and using its symptoms for a better Buddhist practice. Overall, I will refer t ...more
Virginia Beam
3.5. Parts of it were so insightful I wanted to give it a 5, but other parts were so generic or nonsensical that I wanted to give it a 3.
Wendy
May 17, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Gentle, practical, full of wisdom.
Allison
Feb 03, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I found the chapters on Death, Impermanence and Fear to be the hardest (on a personal level) to stomach. It's hopeful, it's personal and it has some great advice and meditation guides. It's a wonderful little book for those dealing with depression or just want to bring more balance into their lives.
James Spada
Oct 19, 2008 James Spada rated it did not like it
its OX e Moron., "i aint no ox moron." - renaissance man with Danny Devito

English language needs to be standardized, like chinese written language. there is to much syntax
Daniel Seymour
Dec 10, 2010 Daniel Seymour rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
In short passages the author shares his thoughts regarding various elements of depression. He does so with warmth and wisdom. A belief that we can work our way through this depression is present on every page.
Katherine
Aug 07, 2015 Katherine marked it as not-finished
I like this book and intend to get back to it at some point. It has helpful meditations and a different way of looking at things. Left of solid reading p. 5, but skimmed a lot of it.
Megan Salyer
Jul 09, 2012 Megan Salyer rated it liked it
Do not read if you're depressed or you'll stay that way, but if you read it out of desire to understand a depressed partner then you can help their way through it.
Eliza T. Williamson
Oct 28, 2008 Eliza T. Williamson rated it really liked it
I really liked how this book was set up--each exerpt was an idea unto itself--easily accessible & not self-helpy. Wise, interesting thoughts.
Alida
Alida marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Stella
Stella marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Lana
Lana marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Easton
Easton marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Serfo
Serfo marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Pamela Cole
Pamela Cole marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Cathyannerose
Cathyannerose rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Christine Copley
Christine Copley marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Arindam
Arindam marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
~Auli
~Auli rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Stacey Jernigan
Stacey Jernigan marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Jordan Bajwa
Jordan Bajwa rated it it was ok
May 04, 2016
April
April marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Noah
Noah marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
  • Anger
  • Essential Buddhism: A Complete Guide to Beliefs and Practices
  • At Home in the Muddy Water: A Guide to Finding Peace Within Everyday Chaos
  • Zen Training: Methods And Philosophy
  • Waking Up to What You Do: A Zen Practice for Meeting Every Situation with Intelligence and Compassion
  • Against Depression