Start by marking “We Meet” as Want to Read:
We Meet

We Meet

The singular work of Kenneth Patchen has influenced poets, artists and political activists for decades. New Directions is proud to launch a Patchen revival beginning with omnibus editions of his unique compositions.

We Meet highlights Patchen's more outlandish side and includes, like fabrics stitched into a crazy quilt, Because It Is, A Letter to God, Poemscapes, Hurrah For
Published July 27th 2008 by New Directions

To ask other readers questions about We Meet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Meet

Nikki Wells
Oct 12, 2011 Nikki Wells rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
amazing really, & an introduction by Davendra Banhart to boot. also read Journal of Albion Moonlight by this author, one of my all~time favorite books. I could read Patchen all day and he will stick in my head for years. I always end up coming back to him at some point.
Andrew
Mar 11, 2009 Andrew rated it really liked it
I love the books in this collection, especially 'Because it is'. A collection that brings together Patchen's poetry/artwork collages is long overdue, and while this one occasionally gives off a foul odor similar to that emitted by so many nonsensical poems of the 60s, it's worth remembering that Patchen wrote most of these poems in the 40s when 90% of the U.S. population thought that an A bomb dropped on a densely populated city was something to celebrate. His message was deeply necessary, and t ...more
Stephen
Nov 05, 2012 Stephen rated it it was amazing
I am really glad that New Directions did this with Patchen's harder to find works. I had come across half of the contents of this book in earlier editions, but I m never opposed to the reread. There is something really great about reading a book by one of your favorite authors that feels hot off the presses. It supports your idea that he is still so vitally relevant.

I am so enamored and in awe of these pieces. I have been greatly influenced by his works.
Marcus
Mar 30, 2012 Marcus rated it liked it
It may be that this doesn't strike and may strike later. But my initial response after one read (and little desire to re-read at the moment) is that it feels too insular. Or off. Or trying too hard. Or my mind is trying too hard. HA!

e.e. Cummings doesn't do it for me either. Maybe I will like it in 5 or 10 years. I do like a light touch so I should like K. Patchen. But K. Koch's comics and plays and poetry has the light touch that hits me right!! Ditto Whalen's visuals and poetry.
Hokomoko
May 05, 2010 Hokomoko rated it really liked it
Remarkable little bits of poetry, essentially lyrics from songs I'd like to hear. I especially liked the Poemscapes. Patchen's playfulness clutters up and lends a dazzle to disarming insights and juxtapositions. I like the text of Devendra Banhart's and Pavement's songs for the same reason. Like most poetry books as exquisite (and as 'difficult')as this, I'll keep returning to it.
Feb 20, 2010 5 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: go-read-this-now
this is especially fun to read out loud at unsuspecting guests, or as warm-up for voiceover sessions

please remove the introduction with a scalpel and use it as nesting material for house-bound finches
J.L. Aarne
J.L. Aarne rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2014
Philip Gayle
Philip Gayle rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2013
Estephany
Estephany rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2008
Jay
Jay rated it really liked it
May 20, 2012
John Tenney
John Tenney rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2012
Klara
Klara rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2017
Dominick John
Dominick John rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2014
José Villar-Portela
José Villar-Portela rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2012
Noah
Noah rated it really liked it
May 29, 2010
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2009
Between Coasts
Between Coasts rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Adam
Adam rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2010
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2009
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2009
Dane Martin
Dane Martin rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2011
Victoria
Victoria rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2008
Jeff Verlanic
Jeff Verlanic rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013
Marc
Marc rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2015
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2008
Katherine Poe Martin
Katherine Poe Martin rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2011
Ben Latorraca
Ben Latorraca rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2012
Jon
Jon rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2012
Lydia  Ventrelli
Lydia Ventrelli rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2011
William Emery
William Emery rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2012