Start by marking “Emergence” as Want to Read:
Emergence

Emergence

*****

"Rife with richly layered characters, excellent world building, and challenging concepts" - - - SF Signal (Hugo Award Winning Fanzine)

"the best independent book I have read so far, and I would highly recommend it to any lover of SF, conspiracy thrillers" - - - Amazon.co.uk Review

------

The Gadium have been ruling the galaxy for millennia, manipulating probability t
Published October 14th 2014 by Nick M Lloyd

To ask other readers questions about Emergence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emergence

Russell Libonati
Emergence is a good book with an interesting main topic, that a transformation to a higher mental state could and inevitably will happen on a global scale. I really like the scientific way in which the first inklings of the transformation were characterized by the researchers. I also like the way things tie in at the climax when the secrets to what is going on are revealed. The reason I couldn't give the book five stars is because there were a few things I felt were missing.

The book features ali
Robin
Dec 21, 2014 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those that enjoy philosophical conundrums with infinite possibilities
Disclosure: I received my copy of this book for free for review. I’ve split my review into two parts - part one is without spoilers for those that haven’t read the book and don’t want the details. Part two is full of spoilers because I wanted to add the “what I did and didn’t like” with specific examples.

Overall, Emergence was a good book, it held my interest and there were a few times that I had trouble putting it down down. I enjoyed the story about an advanced civilization that act as stewar
Dave Farmer
For a début novel, Emergence is pretty damn good. It's clear that the author put a great deal of time and thought into it, as it shows in the details. As with any work of fiction there are good and bad points, though as I worked my way through it I couldn't help but find more bad points than good. However, just over half way through the balance shifted in favour of the good.

A few things bothered me a little, but none of them were enough to spoil my enjoyment of the story. There are a few spoiler
Merrill Chapman
Jan 05, 2015 Merrill Chapman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Guns, Germs, and Big Bossy Boots Bureaucrats in the Sky: My Review of Emergence by Nick Lloyd

In 1967, Star Trek introduced the concept of The Prime Directive in "Return of the Archons," one of the series' best episodes. There's some dispute over whether STOS's most productive writer Gene L. Coon, or Theodore Sturgeon came up with the idea (my vote is for Coon), but the concept has proved to be one of Sci-Fi's most durable memes.

In the Star Trek universe, the Prime Directive states that it is fo
J.L. Dobias
Oct 23, 2014 J.L. Dobias rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SFF procedural fiction fans
Shelves: book-shelf-10
Every once in a while there is a book that just grabs my attention and keeps it. I hadn't quite expected that from Nick Lloyd's Emergence. It seems to be written in the style of a procedural suspense thriller. This tends to create the air of Hard Science Fiction and thankfully not the difficult kind of hard. Well, maybe some difficult if you try to include the many worlds interpretation. I almost thought it would slip away from me when I was forced to focus heavily on the alien race. The world ...more
Norm Hamilton
Feb 07, 2015 Norm Hamilton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I understand it, Emergence is Nick M. Lloyd’s first novel. That said I applaud him for the unique, creative story it tells.

Earth, and indeed the universe, is being overseen by a race, the Gadiums, who have the ability to enhance, or hinder, a world’s evolution (Emergence.) The catch is that the inhabitants cannot learn of those who emerge early or of the fact they are being watched and controlled.

Lloyd’s narrative is divided between the earth, a spaceship and Gadium. He manages to introduce e
Andy Coleman
May 16, 2016 Andy Coleman rated it it was ok
A SIMPLE MAN'S REVIEW:

Look, I've never written a book, so you'll have to take what I say with a grain of salt, but I find a common theme with many self-published authors is the lack of a really good editor. I don't get hung up on a couple of typos, but when the ideas and storyline seem scattered, it makes for a tough read. This book could have been fantastic if it was cut down by one third and had a few plot points and characters tweaked.

The story offered an interesting perspective on alien int
Michael Harry
Aug 23, 2016 Michael Harry rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This is a really good scifi book.

I liked the general idea of emergence, the alphas, betas and triples. I liked the politics, the multi-plot coming together in one narrative thing. I liked the characters. Adults, normal seeming and they behave like real people do. They don't do stupid or outrageous things just to move a plot along and aren't hysterical. The university professor setting is cool too, it allows for the sciency discussions to slip in without being hamfisted exposition.

There's action
Noel Coughlan
Mar 24, 2015 Noel Coughlan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
The Gadium Emergence Committee ‘manages’ the transformation of other planets to a higher evolutionary state. When a group inspired by a survivor of a car crash threatens to discover this process too early, the team assigned to manage the Earth’s ‘emergence’ has to try to stop them. To further complicate things, another faction on Gadium is bent on perverting the process.

It took a few chapters to grip me, but once it did, I couldn’t put it down.

The book is reminiscent of the Culture Novels in tha
Chris Guillory
Jan 02, 2015 Chris Guillory rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of alien conspiracy and sci-fi thriller
Emergence was a great read with elements that I was very much in-tune with. It blended and built upon existing alien conspiracy theory. What was interesting here was that it shared the point of view of the aliens, and their reasoning as to why humans were not yet ready to be exposed to life on other planets.

At the same time, Emergence was an origin story. The author set a perfect stage where one of the protagonists discovers his unique power, leaving the imagination to think of the limitless po
Matt
Feb 23, 2015 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven’t read a Sci-Fi book for over ten years as the whole fantasy element puts me off. So it’s fair to say, having been recommended Emergence by a friend, I was slightly apprehensive as to whether I’d enjoy it. In short, I needn’t have worried. The story rattles along at a decent pace and strikes a good balance between the ‘Earth’ storyline and the traditional sci-fi stuff. It kept me hooked throughout and has opened my eyes to a previously ignored (by me) genre. As a previous reviewer ...more
Marsha Levelle
Jul 19, 2015 Marsha Levelle rated it really liked it
A writerto watch

Well done science fiction. A clever premise and realistically drawn characters.

Spoiler alert for following comments...

I would have liked to see Emergence drawn a little more clearly early on, and effects shown.

Aliens were fun but I wish they were a little... more alien?
freja50msn.com
Mar 12, 2016 freja50msn.com rated it it was amazing
Buy it, you will find it to be the best read of sci-fi on Amazon.

Gripping story line, characters are well thought out. Great read. Author hit a home run.
This book should be in hard cover .I will be looking for his next book,and I would not mind
paying top price for it. John from concord n.h.pork
John R. Goyer
Jan 18, 2016 John R. Goyer rated it it was ok
I had higher hopes for this one. A good premise but overall the story just didn't flow well and I was easily distracted from it. The interactions between characters just didn't work for me and I think having more thought and editing would have helped a lot.
Carolyn Hammond
Jun 03, 2016 Carolyn Hammond rated it really liked it
Complicated with realistic scenarios.

Very complicated backgrounds to explain actions on realistic situations on Earth.. Drama on Earth very catching and interesting, also possible with imagination. Background information could be less complicated.

Barbara L. Castells
Jul 02, 2015 Barbara L. Castells rated it really liked it
Great book

I really enjoyed the book. The story line was very intriguing and complicated enough to tweak my brain. I can't imagine the next book; stay with these people or move 500 years into the future. Hmmmm.
Don
Jan 25, 2016 Don rated it it was ok
Predictable

Mostly social commentary concerning galactic suppression of alien species. Predictable ending. Fairly mundane reading. Two stars only for the unique treatment of aliens
Colleen Morton
Mar 01, 2016 Colleen Morton rated it it was amazing
Well written, suspenseful

Much better than most of the independent writers out there. Only a few typos! Odd that the aliens spoke colloquial English, however.
Sarah Sapp
Apr 01, 2016 Sarah Sapp rated it it was amazing
good read

i was captivated from the first page although it took a little bit to catch on to the aliens story
Rhonda Waldrop
Apr 23, 2016 Rhonda Waldrop rated it it was amazing
Great book

I enjoy this book. It keep me asking is this possible? Are there aliens out there? If you live Scifi this book is a must!!!! Good luck Nick M Lloyd on your next book
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Les Shelley
Les Shelley rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Melvin
Melvin rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
stanley pickens
stanley pickens rated it did not like it
Oct 15, 2016
Jeff Walls
Jeff Walls rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2016
Arnaud Ja
Arnaud Ja rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
Mark Christian
Mark Christian rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2016
Kjell Gustafsson
Kjell Gustafsson rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Mary Doebler
Mary Doebler rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
M. Roxanne Brackett
M. Roxanne Brackett rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2016
I just love this book! 1 5 Dec 22, 2014 02:25PM
Modern Good Reads: Seeking Review for SciFi novel 1 9 Dec 07, 2014 02:51PM
  • A Lever Long Enough
  • Flawed Gods
  • The Submersion (Powerless, #4)
  • Endeavour (The Sleeping Gods, #1)
  • Desiccation
  • Tritium Gambit
  • Convergent Space
  • The Queen of Atlantis
  • The Saving Mars Series Books 1-3
  • Chimera (Universe Eventual, #1)
  • The Convent of the Pure (The Blood of Angels series, #1)
  • The Bookman Histories (The Bookman Histories, #1-3)
  • The Jump (Time Change #1)
  • The Chaos Chronicles, Books 1-3 (Chaos Chronicles, #1-3)
  • Into the Deep
  • The Fifth Man (Oxygen, #2)
  • Vivid (The Vivid Trilogy Book 1)
  • The Divide (The Survivor Chronicles, #2)
Although born in Guernsey (Channel Islands), I am an economic migrant and I moved to London 20 yrs ago to find work. My mother (waiting patiently on Guernsey) has yet to receive a paycheck, but she gets Birthday presents, Christmas presents, visits, and love... I think she's okay with it.

Please read my book (you'll love it) but if you don't... please leave me feedback so you'll definitely enjoy th
More about Nick M. Lloyd...

“life was made up of hundreds of individual moments. We need to focus on the good ones, rather than trying to control everything continuously.” 0 likes