Start by marking “The Hidden Folk: Stories of Fairies, Dwarves, Selkies, and Other Secret Beings” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Folk: Stories of Fairies, Dwarves, Selkies, and Other Secret Beings

The Hidden Folk: Stories of Fairies, Dwarves, Selkies, and Other Secret Beings

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Selkies, fairies, gnomes, hill folk, river sprites—do you believe in them? Perhaps among the flowers, beside a mountain, or near deep waters you’ve caught a glimpse, once or twice, of what you thought might be the silvery shadow of a dwarf, or a hint of a fairy’s wing, or the tail of the water horse. Or was it just the odd light of dusk or dawn playing tricks? As Lise Lung ...more
Published August 30th 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Folk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Folk

Michael
Wonderfully illustrated storybook about gnomes, elves, fairies, trolls, selkies, and other mythological beings from Northern Europe. I so prefer reading fairy tales and mythology to Maria than I do Disney books. She really loved this, and so did I. We had to set stones in our backyard to make a safe place for the Hill Folk to live, and she is now convinced that our gnomes come to life when we are away from home and help tend our garden. Being a dad is a lot of fun.
Nancy O'Toole
The Hidden Folk contains short retelling of fairy tales that focus on the subject of the little folk. After a brief introduction, Lise Lunge-Larsen separates the book into eight section. Each section focuses on a specific type of hidden folk, such as gnomes, elves or dwarves, and then offers a short story or two on each type. Lunge-Larsen draws upon her knowledge of tales from northern Europe for this collection, presenting the readers with interesting tales that may be familiar or new. Some of ...more
Makenzie Sliva
The Hidden Folk: Stories of Fairies, Dwarves, Selkies, and Other Secret Beings is an interesting book that contains many retellings of fairytales in short stories. The book is divided into 8 sections about different types of folktales. These stories are short and easy to read for younger readers. The pages are colorful and decorated with bright colored boarders and corresponding pictures. This book is another one of my favorites that was illustrated by Beth Krommes. I loved the bright colors tha ...more
Rita Date
The Hidden Folk: Stories of Fairies, Dwarves, Selkies, and Other Secret Beings is a story that is made up of may short stories that focus on fairytales. Once again Beth Krommes uses her scratchboard technique. I liked how she illustrated the boarder of each page. This makes the text more visually appealing to the readers eye. This is a good story to read to children because young children seen to relate to fairytales very well. Something that is unique about this book is that the illustrations a ...more
Kelsey
Fantastic books with beautiful illustrations. The stories aren't dark, and my 5 years olds loved them. Just need to find another book with more similar stories, now.
Gloriavirtutisumbra
Cute! I enjoyed the way the collection included water horses along with the all the other fay folk.
Lindsey
Flower fairies, Gnomes, Hill Folk, Elves, Dwarves,water horses, river sprites, and selkies all appear with explanations of their special skills and talents as well as some popular tales. A nice bunch of stories with the usual moral lesson or explanation for something's existence that usually accompanies folklore. Great dream-like illustrations.
Diane
the stories are great, but it's the illustrations that I am really in love with.

Lisa Lunge-Larsen writes the stories she heard growing up in Norway. Her introduction is priceless: an "apocryphal" story from Genesis about Eve hiding some of her unkempt children from God.... that is how the "hidden folk" came to be.
Carina
This book is wonderful and magical. The stories are a good length to read in one sitting and the pictures are beautiful-the best part! I read it to my daughter while she was in my belly, after she arrived, and I look forward to reading the stories to her again and again as she grows.
Mary Sesar
This book has many little folklore stories in it that would be great to have in every classroom. A lot of stories contain some kind of message to send to students and this would be a great help in teaching the children different concepts.
Miriam
Cute but not particularly interesting collection of tales/stories involving fairies, dwarves, elves etc. Unobjectionable, but doesn't add anything to the many (often better written or more complete) similar books already available.
Amber Pangburn
This is a book about different types of faries. The students would learn about different types of magical characters during this book. They would also be able to tell the difference between them.
Ruby
My almost five year old loved this book too. We loved how the author brought the hidden folk into existence. He laughed a bit at the Nisse story. :) This book was very well written.
Cheryl
The illustrations were my main draw to this. Bold, brightly colored and well-executed. The stories ranged from good to really weird. A definite Nordic bent to them.
Ann
Beautiful illustrations paired with stories about the hidden, wee folk.
Sharlet Mullen
This book wad not anything that I thought it would be.
Quan
Dec 12, 2011 Quan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
This is a great book about old folk tales.
Samantha Penrose
I liked the garden fairy stories the best.
Rose
Jan 15, 2009 Rose added it
Shelves: childrens
E Lun
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Rainbow Moonstone
Rainbow Moonstone marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Julie
Julie added it
Nov 26, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Troll With No Heart in His Body and other Tales of Trolls, from Norway Gifts from the Gods: Ancient Words and Wisdom from Greek and Roman Mythology The Adventures of Thor the Thunder God The Race of the Birkebeiners Noah's Mittens