Start by marking “The Hidden Folk: Stories of Fairies, Dwarves, Selkies, and Other Secret Beings” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Folk: Stories of Fairies, Dwarves, Selkies, and Other Secret Beings

The Hidden Folk: Stories of Fairies, Dwarves, Selkies, and Other Secret Beings

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  68 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Selkies, fairies, gnomes, hill folk, river sprites—do you believe in them? Perhaps among the flowers, beside a mountain, or near deep waters you’ve caught a glimpse, once or twice, of what you thought might be the silvery shadow of a dwarf, or a hint of a fairy’s wing, or the tail of the water horse. Or was it just the odd light of dusk or dawn playing tricks? As Lise Lung ...more
Published August 30th 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Folk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Folk

Nancy O'Toole
The Hidden Folk contains short retelling of fairy tales that focus on the subject of the little folk. After a brief introduction, Lise Lunge-Larsen separates the book into eight section. Each section focuses on a specific type of hidden folk, such as gnomes, elves or dwarves, and then offers a short story or two on each type. Lunge-Larsen draws upon her knowledge of tales from northern Europe for this collection, presenting the readers with interesting tales that may be familiar or new. Some of ...more
Michaila
Jan 06, 2015 Michaila rated it it was amazing
You need to understand something about me: my family is Irish, so there was always a plethora of fairy books in my house growing up. And not just books like The Complete Book of the Flower Fairies by Cecily Mary Barker, though I did read that cover to cover several times as a child, filled with happy little poems (with the exception of Nightshade, which is an exception for a good reason), but we also had books that told of other hidden folk, and they were scary. Changelings scared me to death an ...more
Michael
Jun 21, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully illustrated storybook about gnomes, elves, fairies, trolls, selkies, and other mythological beings from Northern Europe. I so prefer reading fairy tales and mythology to Maria than I do Disney books. She really loved this, and so did I. We had to set stones in our backyard to make a safe place for the Hill Folk to live, and she is now convinced that our gnomes come to life when we are away from home and help tend our garden. Being a dad is a lot of fun.
Makenzie Sliva
Dec 02, 2013 Makenzie Sliva rated it really liked it
The Hidden Folk: Stories of Fairies, Dwarves, Selkies, and Other Secret Beings is an interesting book that contains many retellings of fairytales in short stories. The book is divided into 8 sections about different types of folktales. These stories are short and easy to read for younger readers. The pages are colorful and decorated with bright colored boarders and corresponding pictures. This book is another one of my favorites that was illustrated by Beth Krommes. I loved the bright colors tha ...more
Rita Date
Dec 03, 2013 Rita Date rated it really liked it
The Hidden Folk: Stories of Fairies, Dwarves, Selkies, and Other Secret Beings is a story that is made up of may short stories that focus on fairytales. Once again Beth Krommes uses her scratchboard technique. I liked how she illustrated the boarder of each page. This makes the text more visually appealing to the readers eye. This is a good story to read to children because young children seen to relate to fairytales very well. Something that is unique about this book is that the illustrations a ...more
Tonia Sandersfeld
Jan 20, 2016 Tonia Sandersfeld rated it it was amazing
Northern European tales of hidden creatures like fairies, selkies, gnomes, and river sprites. The illustrations are colorful and add to the stories so much. A lot of these stories were stories I hadn't really heard before, so they were interesting! Lots of words on each page make this book more suited for older children or young kids with longer attention spans.
Heather
Aug 07, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, fairytales
Nabbed this at the thrift store and as expected my daughter loves it. The book introduces hidden folk then introduces each type with a story about a human's experience with them. O has always loved fairy and folktales so this fits right in and we love these illustrations and own other books illustrated by Krommes (Swirl by Swirl and Blue on Blue are favorites!).
Quaesha
Nov 25, 2015 Quaesha added it
Shelves: folk
Awards: Minnesota Book Award for Children’s and Young Adult Nonfiction (2005)

The hidden folk is a collection of eight different folktales of fairies, dwarfs, and so much more. This is a great book than can be used to get the imaginations of children going. The rich and detailed illustrations will surely keep the children intrigued.
Kelsey
Feb 11, 2014 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Fantastic books with beautiful illustrations. The stories aren't dark, and my 5 years olds loved them. Just need to find another book with more similar stories, now.
Naomi
Apr 12, 2015 Naomi rated it really liked it
Pretty cool book that talks about the tiny folk from the fairy tail world. Loved how it gave a description and then an example.
LemontreeLime
Cute! I enjoyed the way the collection included water horses along with the all the other fay folk.
Laura Salas
Lovely collection!
Lindsey
Feb 05, 2011 Lindsey rated it really liked it
Flower fairies, Gnomes, Hill Folk, Elves, Dwarves,water horses, river sprites, and selkies all appear with explanations of their special skills and talents as well as some popular tales. A nice bunch of stories with the usual moral lesson or explanation for something's existence that usually accompanies folklore. Great dream-like illustrations.
Diane
Mar 22, 2012 Diane rated it it was amazing
the stories are great, but it's the illustrations that I am really in love with.

Lisa Lunge-Larsen writes the stories she heard growing up in Norway. Her introduction is priceless: an "apocryphal" story from Genesis about Eve hiding some of her unkempt children from God.... that is how the "hidden folk" came to be.
Carina
Jan 14, 2013 Carina rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful and magical. The stories are a good length to read in one sitting and the pictures are beautiful-the best part! I read it to my daughter while she was in my belly, after she arrived, and I look forward to reading the stories to her again and again as she grows.
Mary Sesar
Dec 16, 2011 Mary Sesar rated it it was amazing
This book has many little folklore stories in it that would be great to have in every classroom. A lot of stories contain some kind of message to send to students and this would be a great help in teaching the children different concepts.
Miriam
Dec 18, 2009 Miriam rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, mythology
Cute but not particularly interesting collection of tales/stories involving fairies, dwarves, elves etc. Unobjectionable, but doesn't add anything to the many (often better written or more complete) similar books already available.
Amber Pangburn
Oct 02, 2011 Amber Pangburn rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a book about different types of faries. The students would learn about different types of magical characters during this book. They would also be able to tell the difference between them.
Ruby
Oct 11, 2012 Ruby rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
My almost five year old loved this book too. We loved how the author brought the hidden folk into existence. He laughed a bit at the Nisse story. :) This book was very well written.
Cheryl
The illustrations were my main draw to this. Bold, brightly colored and well-executed. The stories ranged from good to really weird. A definite Nordic bent to them.
Ann
Jul 26, 2010 Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Beautiful illustrations paired with stories about the hidden, wee folk.
Sharlet Mullen
Feb 06, 2013 Sharlet Mullen rated it did not like it
This book wad not anything that I thought it would be.
Quan
Dec 12, 2011 Quan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
This is a great book about old folk tales.
Samantha Penrose
Jul 21, 2008 Samantha Penrose rated it liked it
Shelves: folklore, kids-books
I liked the garden fairy stories the best.
Rose
Jan 15, 2009 Rose added it
Shelves: childrens
E Lun
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Charlotte Fraser
Charlotte Fraser marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
16018 rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Jasmin
Jasmin added it
Mar 24, 2016
Christina Rau
Christina Rau rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016